ADVERTISEMENT

Don't count on Penn State to help

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Kanye Clary just dismissed from the program. Not sure why yet.

They host Illinois Wednesday of course.

We don't need any help. We control our own destiny.
True, but I'm not opposed to help. Illinois has a lot of talent and that place will be rocking. However, Domask and Shannon are not additive. Domask loses a bit of himself with Shannon it seems as far as seeing the ball. Just have to stop transition. Hopefully Shannon guards Lance so Shannon will be easier to find to slow the ball

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
True, but I'm not opposed to help. Illinois has a lot of talent and that place will be rocking. However, Domask and Shannon are not additive. Domask loses a bit of himself with Shannon it seems as far as seeing the ball. Just have to stop transition. Hopefully Shannon guards Lance so Shannon will be easier to find to slow the ball
Who guards Domask then? Has Illinois honed in on that mismatch with Domask if Shannon is guarded by the opposing teams best defender (genuinely asking no clue haha)? And stopping TSJ in transition is a tall task…he is one of, if not THE best in transition in the country. However, definitely agree that he takes away from the game of Domask and even Hawkins as they both are ball dominant players. Those last 3 games are going to be a great litmus test to see where this team is at heading into the tourney.

Who guards Domask then? Has Illinois honed in on that mismatch with Domask if Shannon is guarded by the opposing teams best defender (genuinely asking no clue haha)? And stopping TSJ in transition is a tall task…he is one of, if not THE best in transition in the country. However, definitely agree that he takes away from the game of Domask and even Hawkins as they both are ball dominant players. Those last 3 games are going to be a great litmus test to see where this team is at heading into the tourney.
This may be where Matt adds a little more zone lean to his man defense and hopes the sag doesn't hurt in blocking out and giving up 3 balls. I just hope Zach is very dominant and gets fouls called so that long rebounds are diminished and Purdue can set the D. Course if Shannon were to defend Braden then that will occupy him all over the court and won't be in the best position to release for an outlet to get going either. If Zach is dominant and Purdue takes care of the ball, Purdue can handle Shannon by cutting down the transition baskets IMO and hope he doesn't beat you behind the arc. Domask is someone that Purdue has to load up on with some bodies and that is where Matt adds a little more zone to his man defense. Naturally Purdue needs to play well and that 4 man might be huge in creating some dominance inside or with Mason stroking it as well. but Purdue always has to have a safety back to slow down their push. I really think Purdue wins the first game in the tourney and becomes more relaxed as the games go...just not so relaxed to get casual with the ball or shots

This may be where Matt adds a little more zone lean to his man defense and hopes the sag doesn't hurt in blocking out and giving up 3 balls. I just hope Zach is very dominant and gets fouls called so that long rebounds are diminished and Purdue can set the D. Course if Shannon were to defend Braden then that will occupy him all over the court and won't be in the best position to release for an outlet to get going either. If Zach is dominant and Purdue takes care of the ball, Purdue can handle Shannon by cutting down the transition baskets IMO and hope he doesn't beat you behind the arc. Domask is someone that Purdue has to load up on with some bodies and that is where Matt adds a little more zone to his man defense. Naturally Purdue needs to play well and that 4 man might be huge in creating some dominance inside or with Mason stroking it as well. but Purdue always has to have a safety back to slow down their push. I really think Purdue wins the first game in the tourney and becomes more relaxed as the games go...just not so relaxed to get casual with the ball or shots
All good points.TSJ switches it up for them for the way we can guard them. Edey guards Rodgers again and Lance on TSJ, TKR on Hawkins and then Loyer and Smith have to guard Guerrier and Domask. This is where we really need Heide to be able to play to help guard one of those guys. Unless of course we don’t have Zach guard Rodgers this go around. Just all interesting stuff haha.

All good points.TSJ switches it up for them for the way we can guard them. Edey guards Rodgers again and Lance on TSJ, TKR on Hawkins and then Loyer and Smith have to guard Guerrier and Domask. This is where we really need Heide to be able to play to help guard one of those guys. Unless of course we don’t have Zach guard Rodgers this go around. Just all interesting stuff haha.
Guerrier in one of those guys that kills you quietly with small cuts and at the end of the game he had a good game.

Interestingly enough, he hasn’t been AS impactful since TSJ been back. Wonder how he will be down the stretch.
who knows, but he doesn't have to have the ball much to score it seems unlike Domask and Shannon. ?As talented as they are, they can have wider swings than Purdue and so they are capable of having that skunk game at times...

March 2 is a big day. Illinois @ Wisconsin and MSU @ Purdue with Wisconsin and MSU fighting for that double bye in the tourney.

Last edited:
It's interesting, some people lately have been saying Gillis should replace Loyer at the 3, even though Gillis doesn't play the 3 and would have trouble guarding most 3's. However, I feel like Gillis could guard Domask effectively. Not sure how he would fit in the flow of the offense as a 3, though.

Reactions: tjreese
Rodgers has been a much better and a much more active player since we played them in Mackey. It will be different.

Illinois very well beats Purdue, I highly doubt they run the table though, Purdue if they win 4 of the next 5 wins the Big Ten by themselves, Illinois is losing another game or two.

Rodgers has been a much better and a much more active player since we played them in Mackey. It will be different.
True but with edey guarding him/clogging the lane he isn’t the same player. Other teams have tried our strategy with their bigs guarding him and their bigs (obviously) aren’t as big as Zach so it’s not as effective. I don’t doubt that they’ll have a better game plan when we come to town, especially because they want to beat us SO bad. Gonna be a good test.

It's interesting, some people lately have been saying Gillis should replace Loyer at the 3, even though Gillis doesn't play the 3 and would have trouble guarding most 3's. However, I feel like Gillis could guard Domask effectively. Not sure how he would fit in the flow of the offense as a 3, though.
Physically Mason could counter Domask's strength. Domask doesn't blow by people and so Mason might be successful. I think Matt would trade less out of Mason on O for less out of Domask on O in a heartbeat if he could defend Domask. I do not know that to be true (but might be), but having seen Domask a bit, Mason might be fine on him? Chances are Mason will get a shot from the four spot as Trey.

If Guerrer is on the court with Rodgers and Shannon leaving Hawkins and Domask someone with some strength and or size might do fine on Domask. Personally, we know Shannon and Domask and how they could have a great game, but I'm a bit concerned with Guerrer being a difference maker and his size on boards and inside taking a toll. All this said, Illinois might be the team to see a wrinkle in the man defense that morphs some other bodies a bit farther from their man to defend and area similar to what was tried in the NW game, but hopefully a lot more effective if somehow Purdue can keep the ball more on the side of a court. Ill seems to want to get out in transition and also drive the ball. The 3 ball is a variable, but being at home you would think they would be fine. It may be more to do with Purdue on offense and playing very smart. Hopefully, they drop one before like March 2 at Wisconsin and Purdue wins at home against MSU

True but with edey guarding him/clogging the lane he isn’t the same player. Other teams have tried our strategy with their bigs guarding him and their bigs (obviously) aren’t as big as Zach so it’s not as effective. I don’t doubt that they’ll have a better game plan when we come to town, especially because they want to beat us SO bad. Gonna be a good test.
Coaches will have their ideas and then the players won't respond how the coaches think and then some band aids will be applied on D and adjustments on O and the other coach will screw that up by now affecting your player who you thought you needed for such and such and then you just hope for solid D, good boards, 50-50 balls, solid FT shooting and not turning it over wishful that your players perform better than their players. ;)

Illinois very well beats Purdue, I highly doubt they run the table though, Purdue if they win 4 of the next 5 wins the Big Ten by themselves, Illinois is losing another game or two.
hope you are correct about them losing one at least. That team has a lot of individual talent

also last time we played them TKR had a career game vs them, don't know if we see that type of game from him next time
Zach was also in foul trouble from 8 min mark in first half and sat and happened again in 2nd half. If he’s not in foul trouble it’ll be different too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT