ADVERTISEMENT

Did Purdue get a commit this evening?

32zone

True Freshman
Nov 18, 2010
Castleton says he cancelled his official visit to Purdue because the Boilers got a commitment from a center tonight.

Nice pickup with Dowuona. We got a rim protector, rebounder with a lot of upsides.
We weren't getting both Dowuona & Castleton no matter how much some of you wanted.
I think his dream school was Florida anyway. Now If we could get Hunter we would have a pretty good start...

Last edited:
Nice pickup with Dowuona. We got a rim protector, rebounder with a lot of upsides.
We weren't getting both Dowuona & Castleton no matter how much some of you wanted.
I think his dream school was Florida anyway. Now If we could get Hunter we would have a pretty good start...
Baird's article indicated that Purdue had one scholarship for Dowuona, Castelton, or Kisunis, so Dowuona seized it while it was available.

If call 3 4* players (ED is 87th overall and a 4* on ESPN) more than a good start

Reactions: tjreese
It's decent. Trvion isn't on that list though and 9 other big schools have a higher rated recruit then dowouna including rutgers and northwestern. Would be nice if painter was capable of landing top 50 guys more than once every 5 or 6 years.
And if Purdue gets Hunter then They have 2 players higher than Dowouna in this class. That's why I'm not getting your "good start" comment. Trevion alone was a good start. Adding a perfect compliment in the frontcourt with him who is by at least one service a 4* as well and hypothetically getting another 4* top 100 guard is more than a good start. It's over half the class at that point anyway. In that situation you just need to finish the class with a point guard and bank the 5th scholarship for 2019 unless the miracle happens and you land King.

I do agree that it'd be nice to get more top 50 prospects but I'd take 3 4* players in that 80-120 range all day everyday

It's decent. Trvion isn't on that list though and 9 other big schools have a higher rated recruit then dowouna including rutgers and northwestern. Would be nice if painter was capable of landing top 50 guys more than once every 5 or 6 years.
This decade:Matt Painter 9 wins,Gloomington Loosers 5.Painter has outlasted three Hoosier coaches and Miller may be the fourth.Stick that in your pipe and smoke it,turkey.

And if Purdue gets Hunter then They have 2 players higher than Dowouna in this class. That's why I'm not getting your "good start" comment. Trevion alone was a good start. Adding a perfect compliment in the frontcourt with him who is by at least one service a 4* as well and hypothetically getting another 4* top 100 guard is more than a good start. It's over half the class at that point anyway. In that situation you just need to finish the class with a point guard and bank the 5th scholarship for 2019 unless the miracle happens and you land King.

I do agree that it'd be nice to get more top 50 prospects but I'd take 3 4* players in that 80-120 range all day everyday
If Purdue gets hunter, that would make one player higher than dowouna according to the list you cited. Trvion williams is not even in their top 100. I agree it would definitely be a solid class for sure, nothing spectacular though. Add King and then I would call it a spectacular class.

If Purdue gets hunter, that would make one player higher than dowouna according to the list you cited. Trvion williams is not even in their top 100. I agree it would definitely be a solid class for sure, nothing spectacular though. Add King and then I would call it a spectacular class.
Spectacular no but great yes. Wouldn't hold my breath on King either. Also wasn't using just one service for my point but used ESPN to reference the one I knew that had ED in the top 100

Spectacular no but great yes. Wouldn't hold my breath on King either. Also wasn't using just one service for my point but used ESPN to reference the one I knew that had ED in the top 100
I'm not holding my breath either, painter just doesn't land top kids too often at all. As far as using both lists, espn has dowouna as a 4 star but trevion is unrated, rivals has trevion as a 4 star but dowouna is unrated. So you're point that hunter would make 2 kids higher than dowouna doesn't make since unless you're strictly using rivals, where they don't have him rated as a 4 star.

Baird's article indicated that Purdue had one scholarship for Dowuona, Castelton, or Kisunis, so Dowuona seized it while it was available.

of the three, I believe Painter wanted DOW the most. and from tweets, it appeared that of the three, DOW was the most interested in Purdue.

it seems like sour grapes for Castleton to cancel his official visit. or did Purdue cancel it for him, by informing him the y were no longer interested ? how does that work? his parents were probably interested in watching the football game.

If Haarms is as good as he says he is, I see no real need for Castleton. Like Haarms, he's more of a perimeter PF , and what Painter really wanted was a center to pair with Williams. While Dow may not be the highest rated of the three, I believe he is the best fit for this team. With Edwards and Eastern, and maybe Hunter bombing away, we don't need an offensive minded center. What we needed is the second coming of Mukembe Mutumbo, and I believe we just got it.

of the three players, regardless of rankings, I like DOW best. And this is a guy who I believe really wants to play for Purdue.

As far as using both lists, espn has dowouna as a 4 star but trevion is unrated, rivals has trevion as a 4 star but dowouna is unrated. So you're point that hunter would make 2 kids higher than dowouna doesn't make since unless you're strictly using rivals, where they don't have him rated as a 4 star.
Could've sworn he was in the 130s on rivals but I must be mistaken. But point stands as he's a 4* by one recruiting service and has 2 ahead of him in another. I'm too lazy to look up a composite because I really don't care outside my own line of thinking on this point .

Just tried to look at 247s composite and their site is down for maintenance right now

Could've sworn he was in the 130s on rivals but I must be mistaken. But point stands as he's a 4* by one recruiting service and has 2 ahead of him in another. I'm too lazy to look up a composite because I really don't care outside my own line of thinking on this point .

Just tried to look at 247s composite and their site is down for maintenance right now
Never argued that he wasn't a 4 star according to one site. Just that if we were going to be using that site for his rating then we in fact don't have 3 4 stars like you had originally stated. Dowouna is the only one of those 3 on espn top 100.

Last edited:
Never argued that he wasn't a 4 star according to one site. Just that if we were going to be using the site for his rating then we in fact don't have 3 4 stars as you had originally stated.
Sure we do. ESPN has ED as one while Rivals has Williams and Hunter. I don't really check scout or 247 so not sure what they have.

Actually to backtrack, We don't have 3 yet because we don't have Hunter yet so I guess you're right there!

However, If I'm a recruit I'm telling people I'm ranked what the service with the highest opinion of me has me ranked. So as a fan I'm going to do the same thing

Edit: Williams and Hunter are indeed both 4* on ESPN as well with Williams having a 82 rating just missing out on the top 100 And Hunter with an 80. Not sure why they're so down on him there.

I will just add, we talk a lot about Painter losing out on recruiting battles. it would appear that Painter probably could have signed two or maybe all three of these targeted players. But from everything I've read, Painter really wanted DOW as his A plan. He's wanted and recruited DOW for a long time. Kisulus and Castleton were plan B. This is the guy Painter wanted. This is the guy he invested his time in and fought for . and this is the guy he landed. Painter WON this recruiting battle.

Sure we do. ESPN has ED as one while Rivals has Williams and Hunter. I don't really check scout or 247 so not sure what they have.

Actually to backtrack, We don't have 3 yet because we don't have Hunter yet so I guess you're right there!

However, If I'm a recruit I'm telling people I'm ranked what the service with the highest opinion of me has me ranked. So as a fan I'm going to do the same thing

Edit: Williams and Hunter are indeed both 4* on ESPN as well with Williams having a 82 rating just missing out on the top 100 And Hunter with an 80. Not sure why they're so down on him there.
I edited my comment so you should probably reread. But ya after looking neither rivals or espn has hunter even in their top 100. and if you want to use random sites and pick the highest rating thats fine. It doesn't support your argument though.

Looks like you are correct about them being 4 stars so i am wrong there. Though neither are in the top 100 so they weren't listed by the site. but i was correct about not having 2 players rated higher, actually none are according to that site.

I'm not holding my breath either, painter just doesn't land top kids too often at all. As far as using both lists, espn has dowouna as a 4 star but trevion is unrated, rivals has trevion as a 4 star but dowouna is unrated. So you're point that hunter would make 2 kids higher than dowouna doesn't make since unless you're strictly using rivals, where they don't have him rated as a 4 star.

Maybe you should watch videos of them actually playing instead of solely looking at the recruiting rankings.

Trevion and Big E are both damn good players. Watch them.

Looks like you are correct about them being 4 stars so i am wrong there. Though neither are in the top 100 so they weren't listed by the site. but i was correct about not having 2 players rated higher, actually none are according to that site.
On ESPN ED is the top of the 3 and on rivals he's the lowest of the 3. Really not a bad problem to have since they are all 4* players that would seem mesh well together.

On ESPN ED is the top of the 3 and on rivals he's the lowest of the 3. Really not a bad problem to have since they are all 4* players that would seem mesh well together.
they're 4 stars if you pick and choose individual sites, but none are consensus 4 stars. I think it's a good class for sure. Would be nice to add a player like king to it as well.

Maybe you should watch videos of them actually playing instead of solely looking at the recruiting rankings.

Trevion and Big E are both damn good players. Watch them.
rankings are much more reliable then watching a 2 minute video where every recruit looks like a 5 star. and for your information, i have watched tape of them.

rather than arguing over stars, try looking at the chemistry and how the players will mesh. of the three players listed above, DOW is the best complement to Williams. his addition would allow Williams to be a beast at PF. And throw in Eastern, Edwards and Hunter in the backcourt, and you have an awesome team. you don't need five 5 star players. What you need are players whose talents complement each other.

Centers are now penalized in the rating systems because so many teams are opting not to play a traditional center. In the 247 composite, Williams and Dowuana were the 6th and 8th rated centers, respectively, the last time I checked the rankings. Painter is continuing to buck the national trend and stockpile talent at the position.

of the three, I believe Painter wanted DOW the most. and from tweets, it appeared that of the three, DOW was the most interested in Purdue.

it seems like sour grapes for Castleton to cancel his official visit. or did Purdue cancel it for him, by informing him the y were no longer interested ? how does that work? his parents were probably interested in watching the football game.

If Haarms is as good as he says he is, I see no real need for Castleton. Like Haarms, he's more of a perimeter PF , and what Painter really wanted was a center to pair with Williams. While Dow may not be the highest rated of the three, I believe he is the best fit for this team. With Edwards and Eastern, and maybe Hunter bombing away, we don't need an offensive minded center. What we needed is the second coming of Mukembe Mutumbo, and I believe we just got it.

of the three players, regardless of rankings, I like DOW best. And this is a guy who I believe really wants to play for Purdue.

From what I have seen, I don't agree with this. Williams isn't a known shooter and isn't going to beat people of the dribble. He is better served in the post of offense where he can clean the boards. I hope he develops a 3 point shot like Biggie and can steal 3-6 points a game that way.

Dowuana isn't an outside shooter. He has some very nice touch near the rim and will be a dominant scorer. At this point though, he isn't a rim defender. He isn't afraid of contact though, which means he could easily develop into one. Dowuana has tremendous upside and could end up like JJ with a very nice midrange and see dramatic improvement every year. He is fairly new to basketball and eager to learn. I love this pickup.

I am thinking Castleton would have been a slightly better fit in that he already has an outside shot and he already is more of a rim defender. That means that early on, he fits PERFECTLY with Williams as the 4. This year's team will generally have 4 deep threats on the court at all times. Next year, it won't be that way if you see Williams and Dowuana on the court at the same time. If Purdue had Castleton that could seemlessly switch who was in and out of the post and still have four shooters on the court.

Here is the caveat. We don't know yet what we have in Haarms. Haarms may end up playing the stretch on offense and allowing Williams to play the post. Williams is quick for his size, but if he is going to play four on defense he will need to work hard to continue to slim down and get stronger. Williams seems like such a great kid though, I don't think it will be a problem. Dowuana may be used like Haas for the first few years by coming 10-20 minutes, come in and give the other teams fits on defense. He will have very good numbers and lots of opportunities to improve just like Haas.

We really needed two big guys in this class and I am glad we we're able to land Dowuana. I love the upside here. He could be exactly like JJ in the future. I can't say enough good things about Williams. I was just as excited to land him as when Purdue landed Eastern last year. I am not sure what Taylor plans on doing next year, or what Purdue has in Ewing. But, now Purdue has three young big men with all kinds of upside and they all three do very different things. Although Castleton might have been a better fit immediately, Dowuana has more upside. I think that is the reason to be excited.

This is a great pickup with a lot of upside to boot. CMP continues to prove the naysayers on here wrong and is landing solid recruit after solid recruit.

Last edited:
I edited my comment so you should probably reread. But ya after looking neither rivals or espn has hunter even in their top 100. and if you want to use random sites and pick the highest rating thats fine. It doesn't support your argument though.
I

rather than arguing over stars, try looking at the chemistry and how the players will mesh. of the three players listed above, DOW is the best complement to Williams. his addition would allow Williams to be a beast at PF. And throw in Eastern, Edwards and Hunter in the backcourt, and you have an awesome team. you don't need five 5 star players. What you need are players whose talents complement each other.
No. We need 13 guys who all think they're gonna get 20 shots up every game, aka The Clappy Doctrine.

I liked Castleton as well and have not read anything that suggested ED was more sought after than Castleton. Course, I'm on record saying that a team can play very well without a 5 and two 4s since the offense has a lot more you can do with it. However, getting known as Big Man U and landing centers and being somewhat of a contrarian in offense today is just fine...particularly if the talent at 5 is solid.

I looked on youtube trying to find some video of Russell Cross, because the first time I saw ED...Russell came to mind. Couldn't find it. No way am I suggesting they are the same level of talent at this stage, but I remember the first time I saw Russell play (Logansport gym?) my impression was that this player played around the rim and hardly left his feet. THAT was for whatever reason my first thought in the first video I saw of ED. This kid has very limited exposure to basketball and his growth potential and willingness to work hard leaves me with the impression he will continue to improve.

Generally, the higher the star value the better the talent...generally. However, not understanding this game very much I'm not sure what someone ranked 45 and another 70, 80 or 110 means? What is the difference in players for the ranking difference for Purdue...realizing that another school may have a different need? If Purdue lands Hunter...they will be building a team...rather than just getting players...which should make people question what a position less team is. and if something other than theory is even a possibility? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT