ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Deep Dive: Practice No. 3

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002

The third camp practice is in the books. Let’s do a Deep Dive!

1. Some good push rush-pass blocking action. While I watched, the o-line seemed to get the better of the d-line. Results of a few battles:

• Spencer Holstege looked good in manhandling Branson Deen and Sulaiman Kpaka
• Eric Miller walled off Joe Anderson and got the better of Jack Sullivan
• Marcus Mbow got the best of Mo Omonode
• Nic Caraway went by Vince Carpenter twice
• J.P. Deeter whipped Nalin Fox

Good stuff to watch.

2. How has 4-star LEO Nic Caraway looked after arriving this summer?

"We haven't seen a whole lot of him with pads on, but he's been impressive with everything he's done to this point,” said Jeff Brohm. “He’s gonna be a really, really good player for us when it's all said and done and we really like what we see.”

3. Kansas State transfer cornerback Tee Denson was dressed on Friday night but took part in no individual or team actives as he deals with a double sports hernia.

“We think Tee can do a really good job, but he just hasn't been out there,” said Brohm after practice.

Fellow corners Cory Trice (knee) and Jamari Brown (hip) did individual drill work but no team stuff. It's hoped they can fully practice at least the last two weeks before the opener.

4. Good to see true freshman Mo Omonode at practice after he missed the first two workouts with injury. He seems destined to play some role this fall at nose tackle. He’s too good to keep off the field. Fellow West Lafayette Red Devil Yanni Karlaftis shows no ill effects of a bone bruise on a knee that slowed him in the summer.

“Yanni, he had a knee injury that he hurt earlier this summer just working too hard on his own and takes a little while to get back,” said Brohm. “He's worked hard. He's put on weight, he's put on strength. This is the best he's looked. I think he feels that way. So, just kind of getting him acclimated. But he'll be in the mix and I think he'll be a contributor here for many years.”

5. Your top two o-lines, left to right …

1: Eric Miller, Spencer Holstege, Gus Hartwig, Marcus Mbow, Cam Craig
2: Mahamane Moussa, Jared Bycznski, Josh Kaltenberger, Sione Finau, Daniel Johnson

I really like the No. 1 front.

6. Aidan O’Connell hit a deep pass for a TD to Charlie Jones during a late-practice scrimmage portion on Friday. Could be a glimpse of things to come. The crowd loved it.

7. The more I see Central Michigan RB Kobe Lewis, the more I like him. He shows a burst and nice hands.

Said Brohm: "Kobe got better as the day went on," said Brohm. "When you're a running back and running through traffic, it takes a little while. He started off a little rusty, but all of us were rusty. But I do think he's capable. He works really hard for us. He cares and wants to be a really good player and I think he is going to continue to get better and better with a lot of repetitions in practice."

8. Keep an eye on 6-0, 195-pound redshirt sophomore walk-on WR Andrew Sowinski from Chatard High in Indianapolis. He could carve a niche catching passes and as a return man. I just have a feeling …

9. The first-team defensive front seven:

Kydran Jenkins (LEO); Branson Deen (T); Lawrence Johnson (NT); Jack Sullivan (E)
Jalen Graham (SLB); Kieren Douglas (MLB); Semisi Fakasiieiki (WLB)

10. I liked the all-true freshman DL the staff deployed once: E Joe Strickland, NT Mo Omonode, T J.P. Deeter, LEO Nic Caraway. Not bad.

Thanks for reading! Purdue practices again on Saturday in shells. It’s off on Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News