ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Etling release.

boiler800

Senior
Jan 26, 2012
Venice, FL
Danny Etling asked for, and was granted a release from Purdue. Best wishes Danny, I hope you land on your feet, regain your confidence and reach your full potential wherever you may land! Danny is another great example of why the star rating system should not continually be cited on here as the reason why our classes are good, or bad. Danny is transferring at a time when he was a 4 star coming in, and he was 4th on the depth chart as he leaves. So much for the 4 stars.

Danny was/is talented. His issues are what happens when you send a young QB to get the piss beat out of him.

Reactions: Tucsonboiler2
haha. I remember watching how much time the qbs got in the spring game. The D sure did kill him. It seemed like every time he was back there someone went free.

Hate to see it for a kid that wanted to be the next Drew.

Maybe NOW all those #5 jerseys in the book store wont go for retail??

I mean $100 dollars for a jersey as plain as ours, comon

He will do fine and I wish him the best....some SEC, MAC or Pac-12 school will pick him up.

Live arm...just needs to release the ball quicker and throw it away when it isn't there....

Good kid and I wish him nothing but the best....

Reactions: BandofBoilers
Sindelar would take a few weeks to be our #1 QB. I think he will redshirt he may be our best QB but he needs to learn and strengthen his knee. He is a talent.

Reactions: gkmorris
Sindelar would take a few weeks to be our #1 QB. I think he will redshirt he may be our best QB but he needs to learn and strengthen his knee. He is a talent.

Etling was probably our best talent on paper. Obviously that doesn't necessarily translate - but I think Etling's talent has been wasted at Purdue. Maybe we've learned not to take off redshirts on freshmen QBs 2/3 into an already failed season to only get destroyed by defenses.

I agree 100%. I said at the time that AA should have finished the 2013 season and DE redshirted! Blame the OC genius!

Last edited:
While I am not surprised by this as I said in the other thread, the more I think about it the more I fault the staff for this. Danny wasn't put in the best position to succeed and it really doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about the staff this season.

While I am not surprised by this as I said in the other thread, the more I think about it the more I fault the staff for this. Danny wasn't put in the best position to succeed and it really doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about the staff this season.
I see your point and I envision he was told he wouldn't be the number one qb or it was obvious to him now. He may have already had it in his plan to transfer if he wasn't number one. I don't think it's that unusual anymore and he will hook up someplace. That said, I don't like the staff throwing him to the wolves early and then saying they were just kidding or end up messing with his future, his dream. Some of it is just business but when that happens at work it still pisses you off. I think he has to think of himself, obviously they did. I know a lot of fans were eager to let him play early also. Maybe that wasn't realistic. Sometimes when things are so bad any possible spark looks bright but it is rare, under the circumstances, that they pan out. Sometimes but not often.

I see your point and I envision he was told he wouldn't be the number one qb or it was obvious to him now. He may have already had it in his plan to transfer if he wasn't number one. I don't think it's that unusual anymore and he will hook up someplace. That said, I don't like the staff throwing him to the wolves early and then saying they were just kidding or end up messing with his future, his dream. Some of it is just business but when that happens at work it still pisses you off. I think he has to think of himself, obviously they did. I know a lot of fans were eager to let him play early also. Maybe that wasn't realistic. Sometimes when things are so bad any possible spark looks bright but it is rare, under the circumstances, that they pan out. Sometimes but not often.
Yup he was pretty much set up to fail from the get go. I think he'll be successful wherever he ends up though.

Going to be interesting to see what happens this season at QB. If things are not going well, the staff can't wait long before they make a change. I'm not even opposed to having multiple QBs per game if there isn't any real separation between them.

Danny was/is talented. His issues are what happens when you send a young QB to get the piss beat out of him.
110% right nat with that statement!! Drew Brees would not have succeeded behind this "O" line and our pathetic "O" coordinator! Most forget Etling was an elite nike 11 QB. The talent was there, but the deck was was stacked against him........

110% right nat with that statement!! Drew Brees would not have succeeded behind this "O" line and our pathetic "O" coordinator! Most forget Etling was an elite nike 11 QB. The talent was there, but the deck was was stacked against him........

I will say - and this isn't directed at you specifically because I cannot remember - but the majority of posts on this forum was that the redshirt should be pulled.

Fans are often first to jump onto benching QBs as a solution to things. It's usually short-sighted and dumb.

I will say - and this isn't directed at you specifically because I cannot remember - but the majority of posts on this forum was that the redshirt should be pulled.

Fans are often first to jump onto benching QBs as a solution to things. It's usually short-sighted and dumb.
it wasn't me, you can see the team was so bad that one guy wouldn't make a difference.

yeah, the majority were against Henry cause he couldnt complete short passes, then against Etling, then against Applebee...

I get the notion, but I dont think cycling through players is going to fix this. Developing them will.

He was at the camp, but was not selected to the Elite 11....unlike the 2 guys who will most likely get snaps for us this year.

And so was AA and Blough if I am not mistaken!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT