ADVERTISEMENT

Cuban/Mavericks Stop Playing National Anthem

Don’t care.

New-research-examines-ways-to-breed-and-feed-sheep-with-reduced-environmental-impact.jpg

Who cares. No one is there besides the teams anyways.

Dumb it's played before every sporting event, starting in grade school some places, anyways. No other country is as obsessed with their national anthem as the US. Keep it for big games and/or championships.

Another reason to hate a IU alum and the NBA

I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, I hate to see tradition go by the wayside. For all of our lives, no matter what sporting event you attended*, you could expect to stand up with all the other fans, put your hand over your heart, and pay respect to the flag. It's a shame to see that go away, and make no mistake, I expect many will soon follow suit. It's very on-brand for the NBA to be the first.

On the other hand, I'm tired of seeing the national anthem used by players to make political statements and disrespect the flag, so I'm not disappointed to see them lose that opportunity.

*I've never been to a soccer game before. Which country's national anthem do they play? Brazil? Spain? Italy?

Just more IU trash. I'm still glad we ruined RMK's return with ESPN glorifying Cuban and Sage Steele, I just with The General would have nailed Dickie V like it looked like he wanted to.

Reactions: purdu1378
Wonder why people don’t get pissed that their employer doesn’t play the anthem before the start of the work day?
It is not a national sports event. The basketball event is to entertain a national public and the national anthem recognizes the nation as a whole and is a tribute to it's heritage and our unity as a country. Norm

It is not a national sports event. The basketball event is to entertain a national public and the national anthem recognizes the nation as a whole and is a tribute to it's heritage and our unity as a country. Norm

"The National Public"?? When was the last time you saw a regular season game for any school or professional team play the national anthem to the "national public"?

They haven't. They do it for the big games (eg Super Bowl), but that's it.

Playing the national anthem in an empty stadium for essential employees only is the same as starting your work day every day with national anthem with you and all of your coworkers standing in a line with your hands over hearts. It has the exact same audience.

Reactions: nb2six
Why don’t folks get pissed that their employer doesn’t play the anthem before the start of the work day?
They did this at Otis Elevator when I worked there. I worked a later shift and never knew it until I came in early one week and it started up while I was on the phone. Everyone in the office stood at their desk and alternated looking at the flag and giving me the stink eye .

Reactions: Boiler Buck
"Purdue4Life, post: 2910841, member: 5738"]
Who cares. No one is there besides the teams anyways.

Dumb it's played before every sporting event, starting in grade school some places, anyways. No other country is as obsessed with their national anthem as the US. Keep it for big games and/or championships.
[/QUOTE]
Agree. We can do with less jingoism in this country.

Looking forward to a thread full of people who wouldn’t watch the nba anyway telling everyone they’re done watching the NBA

As far as I'm concerned with the NBA, this. They can play the Chinese national anthem for all I care (and I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did), couldn't get me to watch no matter what they do before the game.

Nationalism means pride of country. I cannot see what is wrong with that. Norm

Patriotism and civic pride are different from nationalism and jingoism.

I don't need to derive my civic pride or have it reinforced from the playing of the national anthem at a basketball game on a Tuesday night in February between the Mavs and the Nuggets or a HS swimming meet, or a little league travel ball game.

Patriotism and civic pride are different from nationalism and jingoism.

I don't need to derive my civic pride or have it reinforced from the playing of the national anthem at a basketball game on a Tuesday night in February between the Mavs and the Nuggets or a HS swimming meet, or a little league travel ball game.

What?! Isn't that where we are supposed to get our national pride? In our sports?

I thought as long as I listened to the national anthem at sporting events I was "doing my part" for my fellow citizens. And now Cuban is taking that away from me!

Now I'm just left to rant about the injustice on a sports forum so everyone can know how 'Merica I am.

What?! Isn't that where we are supposed to get our national pride? In our sports?

I thought as long as I listened to the national anthem at sporting events I was "doing my part" for my fellow citizens. And now Cuban is taking that away from me!

Now I'm just left to rant about the injustice on a sports forum so everyone can know how 'Merica I am.

tenor.gif

Nationalism means pride of country. I cannot see what is wrong with that. Norm

Nationalism is hating people you’ve never met, and being proud of things you’ve never done.

There’s nothing wrong with the national anthem. There’s also nothing wrong with Walt Whitman poems. I don’t see the latter being read prior to sporting events.

As far as I'm concerned with the NBA, this. They can play the Chinese national anthem for all I care (and I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did), couldn't get me to watch no matter what they do before the game.
You not being surprised if they played the Chinese national anthem before an nba game is such a wild thing to admit about yourself. It’s seriously the same level as a 2nd grader saying “it wouldn’t surprise me if my teacher eats students”

You not being surprised if they played the Chinese national anthem before an nba game is such a wild thing to admit about yourself. It’s seriously the same level as a 2nd grader saying “it wouldn’t surprise me if my teacher eats students”

Really? Do you think it has ever been played before an NBA game? I'll bet you it has.

There is no possible way you can make such a statement about someone you know only as a handle on a sports message board.

His posting history speaks for itself. And it isn't like he has been particularly shy about posting (boasting) about his life on here.

They did this at Otis Elevator when I worked there. I worked a later shift and never knew it until I came in early one week and it started up while I was on the phone. Everyone in the office stood at their desk and alternated looking at the flag and giving me the stink eye .
That’s kind of crazy.

A couple of years ago I was running laps at the Y on a Sunday afternoon and the entire gym below me was a club gymnastics meet with a bunch of teams aging probably 6-16. I wasn’t paying any attention to it other than being annoyed by spectators crowding my track but someone did pull out a record player and microphone and played the national anthem. I absolutely got the stink eye from folks because I kept running my laps during the song. I wasn’t at the meet, wasn’t watching the meet, was on a timed pace and run, etc. But my wife gave me grief when I got home saying I was disrespectful. I’m not convinced but oh well.

I think the point is why we feel compelled to play a scratchy record of our anthem before a gymnastics meet in a small town YMCA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT