ADVERTISEMENT

Cryptocurrencies - Invest now?

Smada2001

Senior
Jul 14, 2005
For a change of pace around here, anybody putting money in Bitcoin, Ethereum or any alt coins? I'm kicking myself for not buying some bitcoin years ago. I played around with mining a few years ago but didn't do much and lost interest because the price was only around 30-40 a coin. Now.. $2500 a coin. I just recently started reading up on it but it looks like a potential change is coming Aug1 for bitcoin which could drive the price down, or at least drive money to an alternative in the short term. Ethereum is a leading contender, LiteCoin also could benefit. It's a fascinating and relatively undiscovered area investment-wise but appears to be on the verge of blowing up as it is becoming mainstream.

Thoughts?

For a change of pace around here, anybody putting money in Bitcoin, Ethereum or any alt coins? I'm kicking myself for not buying some bitcoin years ago. I played around with mining a few years ago but didn't do much and lost interest because the price was only around 30-40 a coin. Now.. $2500 a coin. I just recently started reading up on it but it looks like a potential change is coming Aug1 for bitcoin which could drive the price down, or at least drive money to an alternative in the short term. Ethereum is a leading contender, LiteCoin also could benefit. It's a fascinating and relatively undiscovered area investment-wise but appears to be on the verge of blowing up as it is becoming mainstream.

Thoughts?
Bitcoin has been fairly volatile and pretty risky since its inception.

One take on the situation (favorable to Ethereum).

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...her-is-the-rising-digital-currency/ar-BBCUhNZ

Another take (on LiteCoin). LiteCoin is being driven by Chinese and Korean speculators (look out).

https://etfdailynews.com/2017/06/18/litecoin-price-nearly-doubles-in-just-24-hours/

It's a less secure, more volatile version of currency trading and speculation. If you're not into that already, why on earth would you start with bitcoin, etc?

Thoughts?
I put 150 into bit coin a few years ago. I think it got me around 6 coins, they were 25/coin at the time. I just bought it to learn how the exchange worked. I kind of forgot about it after experimenting with it. It was worth about 15k last week. I didn't mean it as an investment, but hey, I'll take it. As for investing now, there are many who think bitcoin will go to 10k (including me), of course it's very volatile. Ethereum is not exactly currency. So make sure you understand what you are investing in. It's a peer to peer network for blockchain exchange. Like early napster for music or torrents.

Look for some good reddit forums. There's a decent amount of discussion there.

Last edited:
Reactions: miksta
I put 150 into bit coin a few years ago. I think it got me around 6 coins, they were 25/coin at the time. I just bought it to learn how the exchange worked. I kind of forgot about it after experimenting with it. It was worth about 15k last week. I didn't mean it as an investment, but hey, I'll take it. As for investing now, there are many who think bitcoin will go to 10k (including me), of course it's very volatile. Ethereum is not exactly currency. So make sure you understand what you are investing in. It's a peer to peer network for blockchain exchange. Like early napster for music or torrents.

I just can't believe anyone would accept bitcoin for payment as volatile as it is. I just don't understand how someone can create something like bitcoin from basically air and it now has value.

I just can't believe anyone would accept bitcoin for payment as volatile as it is. I just don't understand how someone can create something like bitcoin from basically air and it now has value.
heh...I know it's odd, but all forms of fiat currency are essentially faith based. If there's no guarantee of exchange value (ie a gold standard, etc...) then the means of exchange is only valued at what the 2 people exchanging it agree to. This goes for the US dollar as well! Scary to think about. I view bitcoin as more convenient then a bank transaction, not tied to any government, and its supply is guaranteed by its difficulty to numerically solve, rather than a federal reserve manipulator. That's where the value proposition comes in compared to other currency. This may not be the final evolution of digital currency, but it's catching on for sure.

I've been reading up on the reddit forums - takes a bit to spot the pumpers but there are some good posters there to follow.

Ethereum is also technically being used as currency as well, plus with its smart contract ability it has a lot of other options besides being used as currency. VC funding is being upended with ICOs using ethereum now, which is kind of crazy because some of these companies with weak ideas are bank rolling 100-150 million in a day without having to work the VC circuit, improve their pitch and product, and actually produce something. Those alt coins are even more risky and volatile than btc and eth but there are potential big plays there as well. Kik is considering an ICO instead of IPO or more VC funding now as well.. the next few years will be very interesting and eth figures to be prominent in what's going down.

My wife and I have been maxing out our 401k for years so this is my 'risky' investment. But if you put 10k into btc and eth last year you'd have over 400k now. Hate to chase gains like that, but like you said, I could see if hitting 10k soon, with similar ceilings for eth as well. Some forecasts are predicting 250k in 10 years for bitcoin. One comment that I thought was interesting was that this is still early adoption for cryptocurrency - 5 years ago you were just a lunatic to be putting money there.

Personally, we have 5 more years to kids start college, I'm just hoping this helps a bit :)

I put 150 into bit coin a few years ago. I think it got me around 6 coins, they were 25/coin at the time. I just bought it to learn how the exchange worked. I kind of forgot about it after experimenting with it. It was worth about 15k last week. I didn't mean it as an investment, but hey, I'll take it. .

Oh yea, forgot to write back about this, probably out of jealousy! I wish I found some coins laying around! I tried mining a few years ago but lost interest as the value of the coins didn't offset the electricity costs. I did find my old hard drive with my wallet and it was empty :(

But nice job remembering you had some coins! I've heard the opposite stories where people scrap computers then realize they had 6 figures or more in bitcoin in an old wallet.

I've been reading up on the reddit forums - takes a bit to spot the pumpers but there are some good posters there to follow.

Ethereum is also technically being used as currency as well, plus with its smart contract ability it has a lot of other options besides being used as currency. VC funding is being upended with ICOs using ethereum now, which is kind of crazy because some of these companies with weak ideas are bank rolling 100-150 million in a day without having to work the VC circuit, improve their pitch and product, and actually produce something. Those alt coins are even more risky and volatile than btc and eth but there are potential big plays there as well. Kik is considering an ICO instead of IPO or more VC funding now as well.. the next few years will be very interesting and eth figures to be prominent in what's going down.

My wife and I have been maxing out our 401k for years so this is my 'risky' investment. But if you put 10k into btc and eth last year you'd have over 400k now. Hate to chase gains like that, but like you said, I could see if hitting 10k soon, with similar ceilings for eth as well. Some forecasts are predicting 250k in 10 years for bitcoin. One comment that I thought was interesting was that this is still early adoption for cryptocurrency - 5 years ago you were just a lunatic to be putting money there.

Personally, we have 5 more years to kids start college, I'm just hoping this helps a bit :)
Ether is ethereum's currency and is built in to the ethereum framework. Technically, you could transact bitcoin on ethereum in the future...Like I said, make sure you understand what you are putting your money in.

Oh yea, forgot to write back about this, probably out of jealousy! I wish I found some coins laying around! I tried mining a few years ago but lost interest as the value of the coins didn't offset the electricity costs. I did find my old hard drive with my wallet and it was empty :(

But nice job remembering you had some coins! I've heard the opposite stories where people scrap computers then realize they had 6 figures or more in bitcoin in an old wallet.
haha, that would suck. Luckily I still build my own pc's and rarely throw anything away.

Let's at least call this what it is: "speculation". There's nothing "investing" about this.
oh please...are you monitoring all the annual reports and financial statements of every company you're "invested" in? Are you not invested in any low cost index funds? You might be a speculator too!

oh please...are you monitoring all the annual reports and financial statements of every company you're "invested" in? Are you not invested in any low cost index funds? You might be a speculator too!
When you purchase something with a bitcoin; what value does it have at the time of the purchase?

When you purchase something with a bitcoin; what value does it have at the time of the purchase?
market value. calculated often.

edit: It's just like any other commodity. Say you want to buy gold, how much is gold? It's the spot price, and depending on where you go get it, that spot price may be slightly different. Now for bitcoin, it's a bit more volatile because it doesn't have the pool the size of gold and US dollar participation. You don't think of the US dollar having a spot price but it really does. It just doesn't fluctuate hugely often so you don't really notice. Gasoline is probably a decent comparison as the price changes every day. For bitcoin, the exchanges will tell you what it's trading at.

Last edited:
market value. calculated often.

edit: It's just like any other commodity. Say you want to buy gold, how much is gold? It's the spot price, and depending on where you go get it, that spot price may be slightly different. Now for bitcoin, it's a bit more volatile because it doesn't have the pool the size of gold and US dollar participation. You don't think of the US dollar having a spot price but it really does. It just doesn't fluctuate hugely often so you don't really notice. Gasoline is probably a decent comparison as the price changes every day. For bitcoin, the exchanges will tell you what it's trading at.
That's what I thought. I just don't understand how this will be a viable medium of exchange. At noon it could trade at $2700 and three hours later it might be trading at $2400. How can a vendor accept this with the volatility it has? I just don't understand this at all. Again it just seems to have value created by air with speculators driving it up and down.

At least with the dollar and other currencies the country's central banks can have some influence on the value. This bitcoin has nothing aside from speculators backing it. I must have it wrong as it's over my head.

That's what I thought. I just don't understand how this will be a viable medium of exchange. At noon it could trade at $2700 and three hours later it might be trading at $2400. How can a vendor accept this with the volatility it has? I just don't understand this at all. Again it just seems to have value created by air with speculators driving it up and down.

At least with the dollar and other currencies the country's central banks can have some influence on the value. This bitcoin has nothing aside from speculators backing it. I must have it wrong as it's over my head.
Lot's of vendors have jumped in. Overstock, microsoft...etc. big boys. The early volatility will eventually settle down if the adoption rate keeps increasing. It will become more and more stable. Right now, it's not a great US dollar substitute for buying goods. I would estimate from my perusing that btc transactions have about a 10% cost detriment compared to the USD transaction. However, in terms of investment, it has dramatically outperformed just about anything else out there and is a fairly liquid commodity.

As far as the last paragraph, i think this because you deal in USD all the time. Say you lived in Greece or somewhere volatile. You might have quite a different opinion on the "value" of btc.

It's for sure high risk, but if you can tolerate that risk, I don't think it's a bad shot. I'm not a certified pro or anything. If you really want to drop 10k on it, I would for sure buy a small amount first and use it and see how it works so you understand it better. 10k is probably worth 20 hours of research and experimenting.

well if youre trading volatility, ether was it today wow

Supposedly a whale caused a flash crash by selling out the entire book on GDAX so that people that still had limit sells at .10 were wiped out.. Plus killed all the margin traders. At one point people were able to get eth shares for 0.08 supposedly! Instant millionaires. Coinbase is investigating now.

Every INVESTMENT I've owned for at least ten years. I purchase more of the same. When someone sees something went from $25 to $2500 and doesn't understand what drives it and, as he admits, is chasing returns... yup. That's speculation. Each individual company I own, yep, I've read the annual. The two I'm considering buying into new - read the annual. Read the last two quarterlies.

Nothing wrong with currency speculation. Not my gig. But let's call it what it is. It's damn near impossible to "invest" in currencies.

Every INVESTMENT I've owned for at least ten years. I purchase more of the same. When someone sees something went from $25 to $2500 and doesn't understand what drives it and, as he admits, is chasing returns... yup. That's speculation. Each individual company I own, yep, I've read the annual. The two I'm considering buying into new - read the annual. Read the last two quarterlies.

Nothing wrong with currency speculation. Not my gig. But let's call it what it is. It's damn near impossible to "invest" in currencies.

To be honest any investment is speculation no matter how many annual reports you read, you still are speculating they are going to increase that stock price over the long term. It's all educated gambling, whether you gamble on currency or McDonalds or Index funds.

Ethereum is more than currency as mentioned before, it's a blockchain technology that lets you script contracts, which opens a huge amount of possibilities in terms of the next generation web (web 3.0?). While some companies are developing their own internal blockchain, a number of large companies are already on board, including Microsoft.

In any case, this is just a little hobby for now that has turned out to be quite fascinating. Kind of feels like the wild west right now but also feels like it's ready to explode in the next few years (hopefully for the positive).

To be honest any investment is speculation no matter how many annual reports you read, you still are speculating they are going to increase that stock price over the long term. It's all educated gambling, whether you gamble on currency or McDonalds or Index funds.
Yeah, that's just not true. But I wish you luck!

It's so much more than just currency. This a technology commodity.

Yeah, that's just not true. But I wish you luck!

Please explain. If picking stocks is not better than educated guessing then every investment manager worth a lick would have damn near 100% record of picking winners. I'm sure you've picked some stocks that have lost money at one point.

Please explain. If picking stocks is not better than educated guessing then every investment manager worth a lick would have damn near 100% record of picking winners. I'm sure you've picked some stocks that have lost money at one point.
Over the long term, investing in stocks is not gambling. Speculating in stocks over a short period, even out to five years, for example, is speculation. Investing, as I practice and define it, is about finding quality companies and holdings, and holding them long term understanding that these companies make money, have good future prospects, are financially sound, etc. When you pick a stock or anything with some value, buy it and hope the price goes up so you can sell it in a few days, months or years, I agree - that's "gambling" or "speculation". This is particularly true if you don't understand the fundamentals behind the investment, including what drives the price. Stocks, over the long term, are portions of ownership of a company, and will generally track along with the long-term profitability of that company. Every stock is subject to short term price fluctuations. If you're buying stock to capitalize on short-term fluctuation, that is not investing. That is speculation.

Buying Bitcoin because it's gone up in the past two years and you're hoping that continues is "speculation". Buying Apple stock because it's gone up in the past and you're hoping that continues is also speculation. Understanding the fundamentals behind a business, buying that business because you think its plan and financials are sound indicators that it will continue to be profitable well into the future, regardless of what the price did yesterday, last week, or last year, is not "speculation". Certainly, share price can factor into when you buy something, but share price history and performance is not the sole or even a leading indicator of what to purchase to an actual investor.

Frankly, buying bitcoin now seems dumb. There's a good chance you've missed the best period of growth already. That's why "chasing returns" as you said is rarely a path to success.

Many stocks also pay out part of the company's profits to their shareholders in the form of dividends, where as currencies do not. Another key aspect of "investing" in stocks for the long term vs. speculating in currency. Dividend income is not insignificant to an investor, whereas a speculator would not care.

It's so much more than just currency. This a technology commodity.
It's still a commodity, at least Bitcoin is. Reading about the other one is interesting. Commodities "investing" is really tricky unless you understand the price drivers. To me, to want to invest in a currency, I'd have to believe that that currency was going to replace the USD as the standard currency for international trade. In spite of the "End of America" video series, I don't see any currency poised to replace the USD any time soon. For a few years, people swore it would be the Euro. For a few years, people thought it might the Yuan. Now, some people are saying it'll be Bitcoin. The problem I see with Bitcoin is that there are literally billions of people throughout the world for whom strictly digital currency is useless and impractical, and I don't think that's going to change in my lifetime.

I share my story of speculation in a company called Ariba back in 2000. Fresh out of college, but yearning to get rich quick, I sunk $1000 into ARBA at around $120/share thinking it would become the way that businesses made transactions between businesses in the future. When I finally sold it, it was worth about $180. If I'd held it through 2012, it would've rebounded to about $300 before the company was sold. I did a similar thing at the same time with a biotech company, with similar results. The first $2000 I invested ended up becoming less than $400 and neither stock recovered after the crashes. That $1600 was my lesson in what can happen when you chase returns, follow hype, and don't understand WTF you're buying. It was speculation which happened to coincide with a market bubble in equities.

I consider myself lucky to have learned that lesson in 2001, because I applied my learning since, made bank by investing intelligently during and after the great recession, essentially treating it as a fire sale on stocks instead of worrying about the value of my portfolio that day, and continue to invest well today. I recognize that my portfolio value could be cut in half again with a similar crash, but I have some non-equity holdings which help alleviate and ride out that kind of volatility. I also have a pretty good idea that my investments will be profitable into the future, even if they look awful tomorrow or the next day.

Plus, as mentioned, stocks pay dividends and rarely stop just because of overall market reactions.

It's still a commodity, at least Bitcoin is. Reading about the other one is interesting. Commodities "investing" is really tricky unless you understand the price drivers. To me, to want to invest in a currency, I'd have to believe that that currency was going to replace the USD as the standard currency for international trade. In spite of the "End of America" video series, I don't see any currency poised to replace the USD any time soon. For a few years, people swore it would be the Euro. For a few years, people thought it might the Yuan. Now, some people are saying it'll be Bitcoin. The problem I see with Bitcoin is that there are literally billions of people throughout the world for whom strictly digital currency is useless and impractical, and I don't think that's going to change in my lifetime.

I share my story of speculation in a company called Ariba back in 2000. Fresh out of college, but yearning to get rich quick, I sunk $1000 into ARBA at around $120/share thinking it would become the way that businesses made transactions between businesses in the future. When I finally sold it, it was worth about $180. If I'd held it through 2012, it would've rebounded to about $300 before the company was sold. I did a similar thing at the same time with a biotech company, with similar results. The first $2000 I invested ended up becoming less than $400 and neither stock recovered after the crashes. That $1600 was my lesson in what can happen when you chase returns, follow hype, and don't understand WTF you're buying. It was speculation which happened to coincide with a market bubble in equities.

I consider myself lucky to have learned that lesson in 2001, because I applied my learning since, made bank by investing intelligently during and after the great recession, essentially treating it as a fire sale on stocks instead of worrying about the value of my portfolio that day, and continue to invest well today. I recognize that my portfolio value could be cut in half again with a similar crash, but I have some non-equity holdings which help alleviate and ride out that kind of volatility. I also have a pretty good idea that my investments will be profitable into the future, even if they look awful tomorrow or the next day.

Plus, as mentioned, stocks pay dividends and rarely stop just because of overall market reactions.
heh...this has nothing to do with the end of america or anything like that. I wholeheartedly agree that it's important to understand what you're buying regardless of what it is. That's why I suggested he get involved in the community for a bit before dropping 10k. I actually see btc the opposite you do. I see it as the gateway for people who are starting to come into the global economy and giving them a way to participate without having to deal with the ins and outs of international currency exchange. btc levels the playing field for financial exchange of all types and sizes. When I look at any commodity, I ask how it provides utility and I see utility in btc that hasn't been present the market before. I don't look at investing in emerging technology as speculating. There is a lot of risk, but being an early adopter has huge rewards and btc is an odd opportunity as you get to invest directly in the commodity.

heh...this has nothing to do with the end of america or anything like that. I wholeheartedly agree that it's important to understand what you're buying regardless of what it is. That's why I suggested he get involved in the community for a bit before dropping 10k. I actually see btc the opposite you do. I see it as the gateway for people who are starting to come into the global economy and giving them a way to participate without having to deal with the ins and outs of international currency exchange. btc levels the playing field for financial exchange of all types and sizes. When I look at any commodity, I ask how it provides utility and I see utility in btc that hasn't been present the market before. I don't look at investing in emerging technology as speculating. There is a lot of risk, but being an early adopter has huge rewards and btc is an odd opportunity as you get to invest directly in the commodity.
I agree with all of the above, but today, he's probably not an early adopter. I looked into btc several years ago. The price has fluctuated quite a bit in that time, and it recently exploded. It's not a bargain right now, IMO, but no one really knows what the future holds for it, no one knows what future demand will be for it. No one knows nuthin'. It's way too speculative for my taste in that sense.

The problem with btc for the billions I mentioned is that there is a broad majority of the world's population without regular access to computers or the internet. Those folks need tangible currency in some form. The street and brick and mortar marketplace, while phasing out in America to some extent, is still the primary means of exchanging goods in most other places. The general populace of India and China are not walking around capable of paying btc for goods and services. You look at ApplePay and the Android equivalent here, and outside of a few major markets like NYC, they're not widely used by the general population. Here in San Diego, I am literally the only person I know who uses it. Heck, most people still print hard copy boarding passes.

None of that means that in 20 years, a purely digital form of currency other than the USD will be the standard, nor that btc or the others are bad speculative investments necessarily. I'm just of the opinion that for me to want to invest in any currency (or commodity if you choose to view it that way), I want to know that currency will be the standard for the bulk of the rest of my life. In the past two hundred years, that standard has changed only three times. I think the likelihood of another change in my lifetime (say 40-50 years) is low. I choose not to play FOREX roulette, and I think speculating in btc is basically just that. As I said, if you're not a currency trader now, why on earth would you start with btc? JMO.

It's cool, to each their own!

Kicking myself I didn't go in bigger a few months ago when it dropped below 2000!!

I did see a funny scenario where you could turn a penny into $250,000,000 over 7 years by hitting a bunch of crypto-trades perfectly. Started out by buying some bitcoin...

Honestly I'm hesitant to jump on that train now. Transaction times and costs are way too long and high for BTC to actually be useful, but since it's the 'name' everybody is jumping into it. Eventually it's going to correct, then all those weak hands are going to abandon ship - the question is will they jump to alts or ethereum or back to fiat?

My new personal long term hold is OMG. Appears to have good developers, a real company with actual business use and a pretty well defined road map.

I spread $500 in the three currencies using Coinbook. One of the merchants I often buy from grives a 15% discount for using bitcoin, so even if its flat, its a 5% savings over other methods of sending money (not including fees charged by other carriers). Other than that, I cant offer much of an opinion but to say it seems to be catching on as a preferred investment of millennials (per millennials on facebook groups) If this old Gen X'er can gain off the excitement of of the tech generation, then why not.
Key with any of this is to remember it's not tangible, it has no value beyond what another trader considers its worth to be, and to never put in more than you're willing to part with at a moment's notice. The very fact that the IRS and the Federal Reserve (the kings of unaudited currency) hate it, gives me hope that it's successful.
A final note: The accounts are unavailable for 10 days after your initial purchase. I am in day 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT