ADVERTISEMENT

Cradle of Bigs?

dwhitebash11

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 15, 2011
First JJ, then Hammons, Haas, now Biggie. If we get Schnider Herard, or any other high-valued big, could Purdue go from the Cradle of Quarterbacks in the NCAA football ranks to the Cradle of Bigs in basketball? Especially with him being from Texas, a state that we really have had no business recruiting in? I think we are already well on our way, and Painter seems to be selling that pitch to these big time recruits, finally paying off with Biggie.

But before CS, JJ wasn't a 5* recruit. Albeit he was a top 60-70 recruit, but hardly one of those sure-fire things. The sky was the limit for him, but he was very raw. Painter brought him along nice, and he earned a first round, guaranteed contract from the Celtics.

Hammons was top 100, but again, he was just a big, skilled body who never really got a chance to show himself in high school. He's most likely going to be a first round pick this year, and has developed quite nicely under Painter, helping restore this program after the drought we had for a couple of years.

Haas was more of a physical presence, and still doesn't quite deserve to be in the NBA talks just yet, but we are pretty optimistic he will make it, and again, he was in the 70-90 ranks. He stepped right in nicely in the hardest position to play as a freshmen, started off very strong before kind of hitting that freshmen wall towards the end of the season, not quite keeping his impressive numbers from the start of the season.

Finally it paid off by getting CS, Biggie. A top 20 recruit, 9 by ESPN, 19 (I believe) by Rivals. A 5*, Burger Boy. Many think he'll be a one and done. If he plays even somewhat close to his potential, which is the ceiling with whom he's playing next to, then would it be hard to argue that Purdue would become to new Cradle of Bigs, next to the obvious UK/Duke?

And if so, just what exactly would that mean for the future of Painter/Purdue recruiting? Wouldn't that essentially be a better selling point to not only other big time bigs, but guards/forwards? Basically everyone? As a PG in high school / college, the most important player I wanted to have on my team was always a talented center who controlled the paint. It makes life so much easier for everyone else. It's hard to choose a school without the talent in the front court as a high ranking guard/forward, if you're looking to make a smart business decision, compared to having guys like we have in the front court.

JJ was ranked 42nd in his class and he wasnt raw from a skillset point. Just terribly lacking in strength and mass. He developed at Purdue, but it wasnt a shocker that he wound up being that good

I doubt seriously that CS will be one and done. I think he came to Purdue to get an education and get to be a better ball player. I think he realizes the good competition he will get every practice against Hammonds, Edwards, Smotherman and Taylor. He will also enjoy playing alongside Haas.

I realize I am in the minority on this, but I think AJ wants to and will continue his leaps as a player. He will work hard to improve his footwork for man to man D as well as expanding his offensive skills. I envision AJ playing around 33 minutes a game and probably about 24 at center with Haas at 16, which will leave 9 minutes playing together. A big reason Haas' numbers went down was because AJ's went up, but there will be times when both will play together. Likewise CS will grow learning to play against a big power forward as well as quicker power forwards in practice. I predict he will bond well with Haas and will want to continue playing with him for another two years. The future is bright, as we have plenty of depth as the "big man" positions.

Don't forget JBC, Russell Cross, Melvin McCants, Brad Miller, Steve Scheffler & Carl Landry

Reactions: woggy718
Sorry I didn't clarify this more but;

My OP is more centered around PAINTER and the players he's recruited. Not so much what Purdue has done in the past. Every program with sustained success has had quality players in the post. I'm just talking about what Painter and Purdues recent success in the post.

He didn't recruit Landry, and obviously everyone before him. Or I should say he wasn't the HC at that time. Also, I suppose JJ was a little bit higher ranked than I thought, 60-70 range, factually he had a RSCI of 47(?), so 15-20 spots better than I thought, but none the less, he was widely considered raw although he did have a nice jump shot for a big guy, and some turn around moves. But as a D1, Big Ten post player, he had a long way to go with his tooth-pick physique.

Bigs Painter has sent to NBA(4s and 5s while at Purdue) Hummel, Landry, and JJ. Swanigan and Hammons are likely. Haas and Edwards look like they have NBA potential. Taylor looks like he may have the tools just needs the body. If I were a 3,4, or 5 I would take a serious look at Purdue.

Might as well add Mr. Beach!

Yes, Jim Rowinski played well, but wasn't he roided up most of that time? Rowinski's play impressed me at the time, until I found out he was on PEDs. Steve Scheffler was much better, & didn't need/use the PEDs. Hey, we had Matt Ten Dem/Dame too :)

Not only JJ was top-50 player, he was a top-50 in a loaded class. In any other class, he could have been a lot higher. I mean look at this list:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2007/order/true

There is high level NBA talent all across the list.
Not only JJ was top-50 player, he was a top-50 in a loaded class. In any other class, he could have been a lot higher. I mean look at this list:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2007/order/true

There is high level NBA talent all across the list.
You got that right!
E'Twaun #20. James Harden #21
Thata boy E'Twaun!
And Jeff Teague #67,wow! Kid was a stud

First JJ, then Hammons, Haas, now Biggie. If we get Schnider Herard, or any other high-valued big, could Purdue go from the Cradle of Quarterbacks in the NCAA football ranks to the Cradle of Bigs in basketball? Especially with him being from Texas, a state that we really have had no business recruiting in? I think we are already well on our way, and Painter seems to be selling that pitch to these big time recruits, finally paying off with Biggie.

But before CS, JJ wasn't a 5* recruit. Albeit he was a top 60-70 recruit, but hardly one of those sure-fire things. The sky was the limit for him, but he was very raw. Painter brought him along nice, and he earned a first round, guaranteed contract from the Celtics.

Hammons was top 100, but again, he was just a big, skilled body who never really got a chance to show himself in high school. He's most likely going to be a first round pick this year, and has developed quite nicely under Painter, helping restore this program after the drought we had for a couple of years.

Haas was more of a physical presence, and still doesn't quite deserve to be in the NBA talks just yet, but we are pretty optimistic he will make it, and again, he was in the 70-90 ranks. He stepped right in nicely in the hardest position to play as a freshmen, started off very strong before kind of hitting that freshmen wall towards the end of the season, not quite keeping his impressive numbers from the start of the season.

Finally it paid off by getting CS, Biggie. A top 20 recruit, 9 by ESPN, 19 (I believe) by Rivals. A 5*, Burger Boy. Many think he'll be a one and done. If he plays even somewhat close to his potential, which is the ceiling with whom he's playing next to, then would it be hard to argue that Purdue would become to new Cradle of Bigs, next to the obvious UK/Duke?

And if so, just what exactly would that mean for the future of Painter/Purdue recruiting? Wouldn't that essentially be a better selling point to not only other big time bigs, but guards/forwards? Basically everyone? As a PG in high school / college, the most important player I wanted to have on my team was always a talented center who controlled the paint. It makes life so much easier for everyone else. It's hard to choose a school without the talent in the front court as a high ranking guard/forward, if you're looking to make a smart business decision, compared to having guys like we have in the front court.

Purdue needs some guys to make it big in the NBA.

Purdue's "Cradle of QBs" include 3 different Super Bowl Champion starting QBs, as well as two other top 5 picks.

Of course you'll sell development to recruits, but let's hold the horses on trademarking Purdue as some Big-Man-U.

Purdue needs some guys to make it big in the NBA.

Purdue's "Cradle of QBs" include 3 different Super Bowl Champion starting QBs, as well as two other top 5 picks.

Of course you'll sell development to recruits, but let's hold the horses on trademarking Purdue as some Big-Man-U.

True, there is a gap between the two (QB vs Big Men) but its not a million miles apart

Just in the Keady-Painter era alone, Purdue has sent 16 forwards and centers in the NBA.

3 of those became All-Stars, 2 were overall No. 1 picks, and they collectively raked in hundreds of million in earnings....thats not too shabby. Having two No.1 overall picks is a draft record matched only by Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas and UNLV....no other BIG schools even comes close. In fact, one of Kentucky's No. 1 picks was a guard while both our No. 1 picks were big men, so you could say Purdue has the DNA to become one of the top 5 Big Man factories in the entire country.

Glenn Robinson - NBA All Star in the 2000s and overall #1 pick, had the most expensive rookie contract ever....a record which still stands to this day.
Brad Miller - NBA All Star in the 2000s despite being undrafted, dude made over $100 million
Joe Barry Carroll C - NBA All Star and overall #1 pick
Russell Cross - #6 overall pick
Keith Edmondson - #10 overall pick
Brian Cardinal - Got the MLE at the NBA, over $50 million mark in earnings
Carl Landry - Got the MLE at the NBA, close to $50 million mark in earnings
Hummels - Still in the NBA
Jajuan - First round pick
Steve Scheffler - 2nd round draft, spent 7 seasons in the NBA
Todd Mitchell - 2nd round draft
Mel McCants - 2nd round draft
Rowinski - drafted
James Bullock - drafted
Doug Lee - 2nd round, 3 seasons
Jimmy Oliver - 2nd round draft, spent 5 seasons in the NBA

I expect Hammons, Haas, Swanigan and Vince to be the next wave of Boilermaker NBA bigs and I have a good feeling that there is at least one All-Star in this lot.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he came out of Colorado. Didn't start playing B-Ball until his Jr. year IIRC. Was in the news a few years ago when he sued an Atlanta restaurant for discrimination.

Reactions: tjreese
Pretty sure he came out of Colorado. Didn't start playing B-Ball until his Jr. year IIRC. Was in the news a few years ago when he sued an Atlanta restaurant for discrimination.

Yes.....Denver.....thanks for the correction; memory not as good as it used to be.

True, there is a gap between the two (QB vs Big Men) but its not a million miles apart

Just in the Keady-Painter era alone, Purdue has sent 16 forwards and centers in the NBA.

3 of those became All-Stars, 2 were overall No. 1 picks, and they collectively raked in hundreds of million in earnings....thats not too shabby. Having two No.1 overall picks is a draft record matched only by Kentucky, UNC, Duke, Kansas and UNLV....no other BIG schools even comes close. In fact, one of Kentucky's No. 1 picks was a guard while both our No. 1 picks were big men, so you could say Purdue has the DNA to become one of the top 5 Big Man factories in the entire country.

Glenn Robinson - NBA All Star in the 2000s and overall #1 pick, had the most expensive rookie contract ever....a record which still stands to this day.
Brad Miller - NBA All Star in the 2000s despite being undrafted, dude made over $100 million
Joe Barry Carroll C - NBA All Star and overall #1 pick
Russell Cross - #6 overall pick
Keith Edmondson - #10 overall pick
Brian Cardinal - Got the MLE at the NBA, over $50 million mark in earnings
Carl Landry - Got the MLE at the NBA, close to $50 million mark in earnings
Hummels - Still in the NBA
Jajuan - First round pick
Steve Scheffler - 2nd round draft, spent 7 seasons in the NBA
Todd Mitchell - 2nd round draft
Mel McCants - 2nd round draft
Rowinski - drafted
James Bullock - drafted
Doug Lee - 2nd round, 3 seasons
Jimmy Oliver - 2nd round draft, spent 5 seasons in the NBA

I expect Hammons, Haas, Swanigan and Vince to be the next wave of Boilermaker NBA bigs and I have a good feeling that there is at least one All-Star in this lot.

Like a lot of things, it has to do with how well you market it.

During the early-mid 2000s, I think Purdue did a HORRIBLE job of capitalizing on all of the NFL success that the football program had.

And while it's important that the coaches sell it and we obviously don't hear that pitch, it's also huge to brand it publicly. When your fans are talking about, the media latches onto it, etc. - that is more of a sell than anything.

Purdue Basketball is something that has a lot of history and a lot of younger people do not necessarily know who a lot of our former guys are. But you have to keep promoting the names, the accomplishments, etc.

We can make fun of IU all we want, but they branded themselves like crazy on those banners and while they haven't hung one in 30 years, even young people talk about them. IU's football program spent a lot of time and energy branding IU football as the state school - the state program - and they've not seen a massive boost in attendance, but it's steadily increased and is more than Purdue now. And - most importantly - they're bringing in pretty decent recruits from the state and have beaten (sometimes significantly) our recruiting classes.

So while we're in the "infant" stages of this trend, it's still something to be pushing internally and externally - especially considering the history that goes beyond Painter too. I think the basketball program has done a decent job with a lot of this stuff - but they can only do so much.

Until Purdue wants to be bold, put their foot out there more than just a dabble into the water - they're never going to be successful at branding. And that's why you see the plethora of issues we have with people not knowing Purdue has the most Big Ten Championships, winning records against all of these Big Ten teams, such a strong record against IU, etc. Is it a risk to put out there? Sure, it's not a permanent accomplishment. But until you do, it's going to be background noise.

Anyone remember that one big guy that was going to walk on and called himself "D"? I think he sat behind the team for a season and then fell off the face of the earth.

Iu has had better bigs than PU has had.
DJ White
Jeffries
Zeller
Vonleh

All first round picks this millennium. No doubt PU has had some good bigs but they are not the cradle of bigs...

Iu has had better bigs than PU has had.
DJ White
Jeffries
Zeller
Vonleh

All first round picks this millennium. No doubt PU has had some good bigs but they are not the cradle of bigs...
Ahh the iu trailer trolls and their mountain of misinformation. At least you twerps are consistent.

AJH
Haas
JJ
Brad Miller
Carl Landry

And before you get all twitchy about my list, if you get to use DJ White and Jeffries, then we most certainly can use Miller and Landry and Haas. I could go on, but well what's the point you won't get it.

I am not trolling just discussion. Relax...PU is the cradle of QB's because they had some really good NFL QB's come out of PU. PU hasn't had many great NBA bigs. Am I wrong?

I am not trolling just discussion. Relax...PU is the cradle of QB's because they had some really good NFL QB's come out of PU. PU hasn't had many great NBA bigs. Am I wrong?
Wait .. you think Jared Jeffries was a great NBA big? Now I have read it all.... his 11 year stint (yeah I had to look it up) was pretty much forgettable.

And Dj white? He is playing for a chinese team.. not the NBA. So no, not a great NBA big like you thought either. Your post adds nothing to the discussion, so yeah you're just trolling.

Wait .. you think Jared Jeffries was a great NBA big? Now I have read it all.... his 11 year stint (yeah I had to look it up) was pretty much forgettable.

And Dj white? He is playing for a chinese team.. not the NBA. So no, not a great NBA big like you thought either. Your post adds nothing to the discussion, so yeah you're just trolling.

Did I say they were great in the NBA? I said they all were first round picks. I said PU was the cradle of QB's because of the NFL success of the qb's.

Ahh the iu trailer trolls and their mountain of misinformation. At least you twerps are consistent.

AJH
Haas
JJ
Brad Miller
Carl Landry

And before you get all twitchy about my list, if you get to use DJ White and Jeffries, then we most certainly can use Miller and Landry and Haas. I could go on, but well what's the point you won't get it.

I get to use them because they were first round picks...Jeffries was 11th pick overall and played on a national runner up team....not sure Haas or Hammons can be compared to that

Did I say they were great in the NBA? I said they all were first round picks. I said PU was the cradle of QB's because of the NFL success of the qb's.
Well since you're switching your criteria, JJ was a first round pick ....AJH will be ........Biggie will be. Haas stands a great chance at being one ...

And best part, unlike the bigs at IU the majority in that list won't fizzle out once they get to the league. So sorry, your statement about IU falls flat.

I get to use them because they were first round picks...Jeffries was 11th pick overall and played on a national runner up team....not sure Haas or Hammons can be compared to that
You're right, comparing them to Jeffries is an insult to them since they stand a much better chance of not fizzling out once they get to the league like Jeffries did.

Well since you're switching your criteria, JJ was a first round pick AJH will be Biggie will be. Haas stands a great chance at being one ...

And best part, unlike the bigs at IU the majority in that list won't fizzle out once they get to the league. So sorry, your statement about IU falls flat.

So you are assuming guys are going to be NBA first rounders and then bash the ones IU had that were first rounders.

What has JJ done in the NBA? Miller and Landry are the only two that have had good NBA careers. So if you use Swanigan can I say Bryant will be a first rounder? I would argue Bryant is a beter NBA prospect than Biggie. Biggie doesn't have an NBA position.

You're right, comparing them to Jeffries is an insult to them since they stand a much better chance of not fizzling out once they get to the league like Jeffries did.

an 11 year career in the NBA is fizzling out? ALso no way Haas is an NBA big. Not athletic enough

So you are assuming guys are going to be NBA first rounders and then bash the ones IU had that were first rounders.

What has JJ done in the NBA? Miller and Landry are the only two that have had good NBA careers. So if you use Swanigan can I say Bryant will be a first rounder? I would argue Bryant is a beter NBA prospect than Biggie. Biggie doesn't have an NBA position.
Wow.. the level at which you don't understand this is astounding. You keep picking and choosing things to try and make your argument but still end up short.

Biggie can play the 4 in the league. He's not one and done, but in two years he will be able to play that spot because he plays for a coach that can develop skilled bigs. And sure JJ didn't last long in the NBA but neither did DJ white.

an 11 year career in the NBA is fizzling out? ALso no way Haas is an NBA big. Not athletic enough
Haas isn't a NBA big? You can tell that from just one season? Wow, epic psychic abilities you have there.

Thanks for proving that you have no idea what you are talking about and are just trolling.

Wow.. the level at which you don't understand this is astounding. You keep picking and choosing things to try and make your argument but still end up short.

Biggie can play the 4 in the league. He's not one and done, but in two years he will be. And sure JJ didn't last long in the NBA but neither did DJ white.

You are the one that said the IU guys fizzle out but PU has had what 3 guys play in the league that are bigs? 2/3 have been solid and JJ hasn't.

IU has had 4 first rounders and 1 fizzle in White(who got Cancer), Vonleh and Zeller to be decided and Jeffries a solid 11 year career. So again is PU the Cradle of bigs? Your team will be big next year no doubt but if they were great NBA prospects 2/3 would have already been picked.

Haas isn't a NBA big? You can tell that from just one season? Wow, epic psychic abilities you have there.

Thanks for proving that you have no idea what you are talking about and are just trolling.

Athletically he isn't like what the NBA is looking for anymore....10 years ago he is a first rounder but he cant step out and shoot, he will struggle to run the floor in the NBA and he isn't going to be able to guard the long athletic big like they have now. Will he be a good college player? Most likely but I am not sure he is a great NBA prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT