ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting Couple thoughts on Kanon Catchings

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Again, I'll write a story at some point on him, and one on Jack Benter as well, but here are a couple thoughts from seeing him in Brownsburg's team workout on Wednesday afternoon.

Keep in mind, I've seen him play more than anyone in the media now so none of this stuff is new to me (and by extension, you), so there may be some repetitiveness here.

• As has been well documented, Catchings is a big-time shooter. His mechanics are sound and consistent, his release point is sky high and his touch feathery, as they say. His results have been consistent across all the times and environments I've seen him play in, including today, largely in drill work.

Best part: He can shoot threes off the catch or a rhythm dribble. He's better from the corners, I think, but solid all around. He is really coming along in terms of creating space for himself with his dribble, he can shoot on the move at moderate speed and he's a big-time step-back shooter from a variety of ranges.

My big take around Catchings is that at minimum — if he doesn't make the steps one can and should assume he will make over time — then the floor here is a big tall kid with length who's 40-percent capable from three-point range. That's a damn high floor.

• Catchings measures in at 6-foot-8, 185 these days and he still looks distinctly young. It's not outside the realm of possibility that in two years, this is a 6-10, 195-pounder with big-time perimeter skill. All his arrows are pointing up both in his physical and skill development, and this strikes me as one of those cases where a player still may not realize how good he can be and once that becomes his carrot, look out. He still has that look about him like he's going half speed and things come so easy to him because he's so big, athletic and skilled, and that he can just roll out of bed and play.

• He is really doing a nice job right now with his ability to score one on one, whether that's using his long strides and expansive reach to drive past people or to shoot pull-ups or fallaways over them. He has a couple of quick-hitter dribble moves that he can use to get to his spots and as he gets stronger, all this stuff will improve as well. He can definitely tighten up his ball-handling some, as is common for these taller, longer guys oftentimes, but his starting point in that regard isn't bad at all.

I will underscore all of this by reminding everybody that this guy is midway through his high school career and probably only like nine months removed from the light really starting to come on. Extrapolating what he might be at Purdue one day based on what he is right this second might be underselling him. I still just can't believe that he didn't have a dozen offers by the end of the summer. Catchings has to keep developing, keep getting bigger and stronger and all that, but this should end up being a top-50 player nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News