ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus Data

I use this site in my classes & thought some might find it informative here. From OurWorldinData.org:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

One interesting piece from that article that I hadn't seen mentioned before was that symptom onset to death takes 2 to 8 weeks. So, that additionally clouds the true nature of the mortality rate until further time passes.

Why is the US testing for COVID-19 so far behind the rest of the world? I have no doubt this is a huge huge problem because the data on the site is being corroborated by first hand accounts from many friends in the medical profession. People with symptoms can not be tested at hospitals because there isn’t nearly enough test capacity.

Reactions: Monkey Pox
Why is the US testing for COVID-19 so far behind the rest of the world? I have no doubt this is a huge huge problem because the data on the site is being corroborated by first hand accounts from many friends in the medical profession. People with symptoms can not be tested at hospitals because there isn’t nearly enough test capacity.

Trump wants to keep the numbers low and this is the main reason see link
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/06/coronavirus-testing-failure-123166

Last edited:
*Bump*

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 340 on 3/22 to 801 on 3/25, with a current doubling rate of 3 days.

There’s a week old article in The Atlantic that explains the reasons why. I posted it on this board if you scroll down.

Historicals: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

This year so far: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

So, if we take the upper bound, worldwide deaths will likely surpass within the next couple of weeks. We're probably already above the lower bound.

miksta said:
"Awful. Looks like we're going to exceed worldwide flu season deaths within the next week, too."

So as of today, March 25, to date there have been more deaths in the U.S. caused by the coronavirus than 2019-2020 seasonal influnenza? And using your warped statistical number interpretation that US deaths from coranavirus 928 > US influenza deaths of 22,000?
Coronavirus deaths will rise 22X in a week?

And that 21,000 worldwide coronavirus deaths is greater than 112,000 worldwide influenza deaths? And coronavirus deaths will rise 6X in a week?

miksta said:
"Awful. Looks like we're going to exceed worldwide flu season deaths within the next week, too."

So as of today, March 25, to date there have been more deaths in the U.S. caused by the coronavirus than 2019-2020 seasonal influnenza? And using your warped statistical number interpretation that US deaths from coranavirus 928 > US influenza deaths of 22,000?

And that 21,000 worldwide coronavirus deaths is greater than 112,000 worldwide influenza deaths? And coronavirus deaths will rise 6X in a week?

I was clearly trying to compare worldwide deaths among the two illnesses. I misinterpreted the CDC influenza estimates as being worldwide and not US-only. My mistake. It'll actually probably be within the next month, given how many new cases have popped up and how many are yet to recover.

Reactions: Monkey Pox
I was clearly trying to compare worldwide deaths among the two illnesses. I misinterpreted the CDC influenza estimates as being worldwide and not US-only. My mistake. It'll actually probably be within the next month, given how many new cases have popped up and how many are yet to recover.

Flu season is ongoing. Wishful thinking.

miksta said:

Actually, according to the CDC there are 61,000 flu related deaths in the US every year.

*Bump*

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 340 on 3/22, 801 on 3/25, to 1707 on 3/28.

+411 on 3/28 alone

current doubling rate of <3 days.

Actually, according to the CDC there are 61,000 flu related deaths in the US every year.
Classic misstatement of FACTS presented within the same thread.
No they don't.
What they say is that in the previous 10 years the estimated US influenza related deaths total about 337 000 and have ranged annually from a low of 12,000 to a high of 61,000 with an average of 37,000 per annum over that period.
Now I remember why I promised myself that I wouldn't generally read this forum.
Thanks for the reminder.

No they don't.
What they say is that in the previous 10 years the estimated US influenza related deaths total about 337 000 and have ranged annually from a low of 12,000 to a high of 61,000 with an average of 37,000 per annum over that period.
Thanks for the reminder.
There has been a boatload of crap spewed on this board in the last two weeks (mostly by those on the left) and THIS is why you stopped reading this forum? Um ok 70.
For anyone interested, directly from the CDC website:
CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

But 70 thinks my post is so far off that he can’t read this board anymore. Meanwhile nothing Indy, Monkey, Bleed, Miksta, and etc have posted has ever caused him to pause coming to this board.

There has been a boatload of crap spewed on this board in the last two weeks (mostly by those on the left) and THIS is why you stopped reading this forum? Um ok 70.
CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

But 70 thinks my post is so far off that he can’t read this board anymore. Meanwhile nothing Indy, Monkey, Bleed, Miksta, and etc have posted has ever caused him to pause coming to this board.
He’s completely right, you have a total misunderstanding of what facts are and how to present them, it’s a widespread right wing problem.
Between 12,000-61,000 deaths annually doesn’t mean 61,000 deaths annually as you claimed.

Yeah, because I own up to it if I make a mistake, as I did earlier in this thread. You, on the other hand, willfully cherry pick misleading numbers for your own interests as opposed to intellectual honesty.

Also, this continued narrative from the right that liberals are rooting for this to be worse, is absolutely disgusting and exposes the mindset of those perpetuating it more than anything else. When I look at my own social media, the *only* folks imploring people to social distance and follow CDC guidance are on the left. Keep in mind, saving US lives in this crisis disproportionately saves lives in Trump's voting base in swing states.

Yet another bad analysis and take from hunker.

Let's go through this in order-

Miksta posts a wrong assertion.
M51 asks for clarification/link
Miksta posts a link to articles
M51 indicates Miksta statement is wrong
Miksta acknowledges error in assertion
Hunkgolder uses and misstates same linked material
Boiler 70 calls Hunkgolden on falsity
Hunkgolden complains other people are wrong too

BS... the order of events speaks for itself and shows that you had no interest in accuracy only in positioning. Screw this again.

No they don't.
Thanks for the reminder.

But we need you. Your posts were on target, accurate and intellectually honest. And I missed them! Put people who are annoying on ignore. Works well for me and I have about 10 on ignore. Of course, lots of times I have no idea what an answer is referring to. ; )

Last edited:
Let's go through this in order-

Miksta posts a wrong assertion.
M51 asks for clarification/link
Miksta posts a link to articles
M51 indicates Miksta statement is wrong
Miksta acknowledges error in assertion
Hunkgolder uses and misstates same linked material
Boiler 70 calls Hunkgolden on falsity
Hunkgolden complains other people are wrong too

BS... the order of events speaks for itself and shows that you had no interest in accuracy only in positioning. Screw this again.
Again - CDC says up to 61,000 deaths each year. I type 61,000 deaths per year. You freak out and says THIS, THIS is why you don’t visit these boards. Not Monkey’s insane rants. Nope. Not Bob’s TDS. Nope. Not Indy’s childish name calling. Nope. Not Miksta’s snarky insults. Nope.
No, what sent you over the edge was someone stating that there are 61,000 deaths each year because of the flu instead of up to 61,000 deaths each year. Just more faux outrage from the left. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Again - CDC says up to 61,000 deaths each year. I type 61,000 deaths per year. You freak out and says THIS, THIS is why you don’t visit these boards. Not Monkey’s insane rants. Nope. Not Bob’s TDS. Nope. Not Indy’s childish name calling. Nope. Not Miksta’s snarky insults. Nope.
No, what sent you over the edge was someone stating that there are 61,000 deaths each year because of the flu instead of up to 61,000 deaths each year. Just more faux outrage from the left. Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.
***There was a "freak out" on this thread ?
And 70boiler is the culprit ?
Uh, no....nothing of the kind appears, here.
Just the post of one of the relentless, neverending misconstruers of the facts presented by rightwingers.

70boiler was sent "over the edge", you say ? He wasn't, and hasn't been, anywhere near any "edge" in all of the time he used to spend reading your treasure trove of misinformation, on this forum. He just offered straightforward and accurate info. and opinions.

If we're fortunate enough to have 70 rejoin us at some point, the "door" you mention above, will swing wide open to welcome back someone with roughly 20 times your credibility. Maybe a bottle of 12-yr. old would do the trick ?

Last edited:
He’s completely right, you have a total misunderstanding of what facts are and how to present them, it’s a widespread right wing problem.
Between 12,000-61,000 deaths annually doesn’t mean 61,000 deaths annually as you claimed.
Indy, I know you probably don't like to talk about Jesus, but was he too murdered by a right wing fanatic?

*Bump*

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 340 on 3/22, 801 on 3/25, to 1707 on 3/28.

+411 on 3/28 alone

current doubling rate of <3 days.

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 1707 on 3/28 to 3170 on 3/31

+661 on 3/31

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 1707 on 3/28 to 3170 on 3/31 to 6053 on 4/03

+661 on 3/31, +915 on 4/03

Here's another link for people to use - I find it much easier to use

https://corona.help/

Go to the bottom, and click on the United States and they will break it down by state - showing a number of states running at 4+% death rates already

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 1707 on 3/28 to 3170 on 3/31 to 6053 on 4/03

+661 on 3/31, +915 on 4/03

Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 1707 on 3/28 to 3170 on 3/31 to 6053 on 4/03 to 9647 on 4/06

+661 on 3/31, +915 on 4/03, +1146 on 4/06

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Total confirmed deaths in the US up from 1707 on 3/28 to 3170 on 3/31 to 6053 on 4/03 to 9647 on 4/06

+661 on 3/31, +915 on 4/03, +1146 on 4/06

Bottom line: This train is showing NO signs of slowing down at this point. I personally think that's because of:

1.) No state to state coordination of shutdowns and efforts to contain hotspots
2.) The spring break and Mardi Gras wave which is coming &
3.) Not enough testing (flying blind)

I don't know if all states are, or have been, doing it but SCDEHC plans on posting an estimated number of cases, including "potentially undiagnosed,"[sic] by zip code today. Should be interesting to see cases they know of vs what they think may be out there.

For those in SC or interested.
Link: SCDEHC

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
I don't know if all states are, or have been, doing it but SCDEHC plans on posting an estimated number of cases, including "potentially undiagnosed,"[sic] by zip code today. Should be interesting to see cases they know of vs what they think may be out there.

For those in SC or interested.
Link: SCDEHC
K are the beaches closed in SC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT