ADVERTISEMENT

Condolences on Orton retiring

Aug 30, 2001
Gosh, when I saw that Kyle Orton had finally decided to hang up his spurs after such a magnificent career, I knew I just had to drop by to pay my respects and offer condolences to you peeps. True, he was no Brandon Hance, but the Orton era produced some truly memorable OHIO STATE victories over Purdue, and I felt it only proper to give the man his due.

What can one say about Kyle Orton? Well, I for one will miss his 160 yard performances, his uncanny ability to throw passes as deep as 6 yards down field with unerring accuracy, and his unique penchant for taking a team just far enough to lose the ballgame. "Coach Killer"? Nah, more like "Running Back King-Maker", since any team that employed Orton knew they'd have to give their backs a ton of carries to have even a remote chance of winning!

He was a journeyman quarterback of the highest order. And while we might fervently wish that he had left his mustache behind on one of his many travel stops, teams that got rid of Orton often regretted not keeping him around as a reliable bench warmer. Just imagine how much better the Bears would be today if they had stuck with him! Why, they might even have won 6 games this year instead of 5, considering that Orton probably would have thrown for a good 20 or 30 more yards than Jimmy Clausen during the Cutler benching fiasco.

People call him a "game manager", but in truth, Orton was so much more. Despite the fact that I used to rip Orton pretty regularly on your Smack Talk forum, I can now grudgingly admit that he was better than at least some NFL quarterbacks I've seen. In fact, I'll list all the quarterbacks worse than Orton right here:

-Johnny Manziel
-Akili Smith
-Tim Couch
-Heath Shuler
-Jake Locker
-Tyler Palko
-Scott Mitchell
-Billy Joe Hobert (I had to really think about this one, but I suppose I'll give Orton the nod here)
-Brodie Croyle

Now, that is quite a list! Orton should be proud of his accomplishments. And, in turn, you should be proud of the Iowa boy turned Purdue quarterback who wore 18 throughout his career to honor a Nebraska Cornhusker. While his career in football may be coming to a close, his lasting legacy of "next man in...I guess" is an inspiration that will live forever.

And by the way...when will y'all just coax Tiller out of retirement and become relevant again? I MISS the days when Purdue was tough (yes, I said it and I admit it--Purdue used to be a tough out for my Buckeyes!) What the heck happened to you peeps? BoilersRock, I don't know for sure, but somehow I sense that YOU are to blame for the fall of the Boilers! Get it together and Boiler the heck UP already, by order of Buckeye Leslie! HA!

Purdue has deemphasized football (and apparently basketball too) in favor of finishing in the top 25 of the Directors' Cup, since there is no point in attempting to out spend or out cheat THE o$u (penitentiary).

Looking forward to watching o$u once again completely embarrass our once proud football conference on New Year's Day.

Are you really putting down the NFL career of a Boilermaker QB, who was only the 2nd best current NFL Boiler QB behind Hall of Fame and Super Bowl winning QB Drew Brees? Orton won more games than he lost (including on some bad and mediocre teams), threw for 18k yards and 101 TDs.

And Ohio State has produced, who? Troy Smith? Craig Krenzel? Terrelle Pryor? Bobby Hoying? Please. There are a lot of areas you could talk trash in, but QB isn't one of them.

Oh if only Orton lived up to the great standard that OSU QBs have set in the pros. How can he hold a candle to such greats as....errrr... Krenzel? Or Germaine? Or Jackson?

Seems to me, I believe it was 2004 , that Orton did beat Ohio State. Come to think of it though OSU a was probably hampered by the fact they should have been on probation. What was that criminal's name, oh yeah it was Maurice Clarett wasn't it?

Originally posted by Buckeye Leslie:
Gosh, when I saw that Kyle Orton had finally decided to hang up his spurs after such a magnificent career, I knew I just had to drop by to pay my respects and offer condolences to you peeps. True, he was no Brandon Hance, but the Orton era produced some truly memorable OHIO STATE victories over Purdue, and I felt it only proper to give the man his due.

What can one say about Kyle Orton? Well, I for one will miss his 160 yard performances, his uncanny ability to throw passes as deep as 6 yards down field with unerring accuracy, and his unique penchant for taking a team just far enough to lose the ballgame. "Coach Killer"? Nah, more like "Running Back King-Maker", since any team that employed Orton knew they'd have to give their backs a ton of carries to have even a remote chance of winning!

He was a journeyman quarterback of the highest order. And while we might fervently wish that he had left his mustache behind on one of his many travel stops, teams that got rid of Orton often regretted not keeping him around as a reliable bench warmer. Just imagine how much better the Bears would be today if they had stuck with him! Why, they might even have won 6 games this year instead of 5, considering that Orton probably

Oh, Leslie, Leslie: I'm guessing your health plan does not cover early-onset Harbaugh Derangement Syndrome (HDS) and this is your strange reaction. I hope you find the help you need.

Well, that's gratitude for ya. Here I come over to your board with only the best of intentions, I offer what I thought was a very touching tribute to Kyle Orton...and all y'all want to do is attack me!

Look, I know that watching Purdue football the past few years would put anyone in a crabby mood, but come on, now. I mean, gosh, if I wanted to talk smack, I would have simply brought up the Danny Hope era, or Curtis Painter! But did I mention either one of those atrocities? No, I did not.

And as for OHIO STATE quarterbacks in the NFL, that is not important to us--we already have Kirk Herbstreit to give us all the name brand recognition we need at that position for recruiting. Tee hee--so there!

Now seriously--one of you said that Purdue made a decision to de-emphasize football in favor of focusing on AD standings; is that true? And if it is true...how was your athletic director not fired within 30 seconds of making that statement? If your AD wanted to emphasize non-revenue sports, even a complete schlub knows that a winning football program and a sold out Ross Ade Stadium is the only way to make that happen financially.

Purdue was never, ever going to be up there with OHIO STATE (and really, who could be?)...but this? Frankly, you peeps deserve better. I was old enough to start seriously following football right around the time that Tiller came aboard in 1997, so growing up, it was just considered a given that Purdue was going to be in the mix for bowl games and even conference titles each and every year. Smack Talk is one thing, but to see what your program has sunk to? Not cool, in my book.

Hey, I want to be able to freely make fun of Purdue's complete lack of TRADITION when compared to THE Ohio State University, not feel sorry for y'all like I do now! Again I say: BOILER UP and get back to your basketball on grass days again, will ya?

A strong Purdue is good for the conference, so I'm pulling for y'all...even if it means that BBG and Boilerfan1 end up getting their swagger back. Yeesh...did I really just type that?

Originally posted by nat100:
Oh if only Orton lived up to the great standard that OSU QBs have set in the pros. How can he hold a candle to such greats as....errrr... Krenzel? Or Germaine? Or Jackson?
How could you overlook mentioning that great OSU QB, Art Schlichter!? Hmm, is he in a federal prison in Ohio? Or is it in Indiana?

This post was edited on 12/29 5:18 PM by Minnesota_Boiler

OSU QB gets 11 years in federal prison

What a completely classless waste of time. Why would you bother writing this? The man had an above average career in college and the pros. I feel stupider for having read it.

The differences between the state of IL and the state of OH is that IL builds prisons for the governors while OH builds them for the O$U athletes!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT