ADVERTISEMENT

College Refs

Rodeopepper

All-American
Oct 17, 2010
I’m more confident than ever now that college refs are bought. I saw a ton of bad calls that were “suspect” and now the Iowa “fair catch” BS is about enough for me. Officials are plain and simple BOUGHT!!!

I’m more confident than ever now that college refs are bought. I saw a ton of bad calls that were “suspect” and now the Iowa “fair catch” BS is about enough for me. Officials are plain and simple BOUGHT!!!

Not that I'm really complaining about it, but Penn State had a legitimate beef on a defensive holding call that wiped out a sack-fumble score - essentially a 14pt penalty as Ohio State was in the red zone and scored to go up 10-3.

Welcome to Big Ten officiating - and the other side. Lol.

Not that I'm really complaining about it, but Penn State had a legitimate beef on a defensive holding call that wiped out a sack-fumble score - essentially a 14pt penalty as Ohio State was in the red zone and scored to go up 10-3.

Welcome to Big Ten officiating - and the other side. Lol.

It was ticky tack, OSU was the much better team though, Penn State’s QB was awful. They scored a late TD to make it sort of respectable, however, they sucked.

With what's called and what's not called the refs can easily control the outcome of a close game, and do. I can't see why anyone would bet on games.
I noticed this a long time ago, that's why I don't gamble ( other than participating in super bowl block pools when I used to work)

It was ticky tack, OSU was the much better team though, Penn State’s QB was awful. They scored a late TD to make it sort of respectable, however, they sucked.
I agree they were the much better team, osu even helped them out by not taking FG's and going for it on 4th downs, letting a live ball hit the legs on a punt. Although psu had some strange play calls too, got away from the run game too soon.

I can remember an announcer saying what a great job OSU was doing with the PSU receivers, and then showing a replay with the arms of an OSU player wrapped around a receiver. But OSU was the better team.

I can remember an announcer saying what a great job OSU was doing with the PSU receivers, and then showing a replay with the arms of an OSU player wrapped around a receiver. But OSU was the better team.
they let one go by a psu DB on a streaking osu WR down the sideline in the 1st half, he had his hands on his hips for a bit and they didn't see it.

they let one go by a psu DB on a streaking osu WR down the sideline in the 1st half, he had his hands on his hips for a bit and they didn't see it.
Didn't see it, or didn't flag it? I believe that a lot of calls aren't flagged, even when directly in front of a ref. I remember how near the beginning of a Purdue-Minnesota game a few years ago a Purdue tight end was kicked in the groin when down on the ground right in front of a ref who didn't throw a flag. It set the tone for refereeing for the rest of the game.

Then I believe what was 1965 in the Purdue Wisconsin game their team had zero offense and 0 points. But near the end of the game the refs marched them 60 or 70 yards down the field with one bogus call after another (I don't believe that they made an actual play during that drive), this on a largely unpenalized team up to that point. And when the opposing player caught a "touchdown" pass 5-10 yards out of bounds beyond the end of the end zone in front of me, the refs couldn't throw up their hands for a TD fast enough. I wonder what was the reason for that? But after that game, I realized how bad the refs could be, as the score should have had the refs 7, and Wisconsin 0.

But a non-call now can't be questioned or reviewed. How many of those are there during a game? The majority of plays?

And when in those goal-line scrums an offensive player pushes a defensive one in the back, that should be a penalized illegal blocking penalty, not a TD.

Penn State cost themselves dearly on special teams yesterday. With the game still 10-6 in the 3rd quarter, they backed O$U to 4th and forever on their own 3. Good field position after the punt, right? Wrong. Returner lets an easily catchable ball hit the ground on the 50, and kicked forward 25 yards and they got it on the 25 instead. Another 3 and out for PSU and O$U got it back in good field position for themselves.

Reactions: studed
What a conspiracy theorist!

Do you really think unprofessional (part-time employees) referees for games with billions of dollars on the line each year would do something like this?

I wouldn't apply it to the OSU/PSU game though, the PSU QB couldn't throw the ball to within 15 yards of his own players most passes.

What a conspiracy theorist!

Do you really think unprofessional (part-time employees) referees for games with billions of dollars on the line each year would do something like this?

I wouldn't apply it to the OSU/PSU game though, the PSU QB couldn't throw the ball to within 15 yards of his own players most passes.
any opines on the Iowa/Minn game ending ?

any opines on the Iowa/Minn game ending ?

That would qualify because I don't believe they can review whether he made that signal or not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Clearly they can because they did.

Because the rule if applied would result in a dead ball situation, from what the conference/officials have stated - properly a reviewable play. Then you get into letting it "play out," which I generally like (but not always) because it avoids an inadvertent or incorrect stoppage - however, it does shift the question of "being able to clearly judge/overturn" or should - too often, the replay just go with what's more likely and overturn anyway. Here, though, the officials thought clearly evident to overturn so maybe they actually got it right? (Heavens to Murgatroyd!) - debatable, and I can see both sides' positions.

BUT - it involves the MOST HATED RIVAL......so Death to the Hawkeyes, and row the Boat! Don't forget too - this meant possession of the prized Floyd of Rosedale.

Here are some interesting perspectives:

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringm...troversial-punt-return-in-minnesota-iowa-game

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. It sounds like the sideways waving of the arm thing trumps the hand-over-the-head thing anyway, and that you can't advance a punt after doing either one of them. It's definitely reviewable. The Iowa-fan tweets said that the Minnesota players didn't let up upon seeing the signal, but I wonder if a couple of them may have. There might have been a defender a little closer to Cooper if not for the signal. Especially with him right along the sidelines where he could have easily gotten knocked out of bounds.

Can officials influence games by their call absolutely. There was a Netflix documentary on a NBA official that was involved with a scandal and got kicked out of officiating for it. There have been other examples too in the past. I still wonder about the Purdue/Minnesota game on that PI call or the New Orleans Drew Brees game that was an obvious PI call that was one of the worst non calls I have ever seen.

However, it is an imperfect game, and people do make mistakes. Just because someone missed a call everyone is ready to say that there must have been a fix on a game. In real time, athletes have gotten faster and stronger, and it is harder for officials to keep up with the action of the game honestly. People will point out a call that they say cost them the game. However, you never hear people talk about the drop balls, bad passes, defense lapses, etc. that happened during a game that also caused a team to get behind or in a certain situation. It is always the one of two calls that caused the game to be lost.

People talk about the bad officiating of today and how it has gotten worse. These same types of calls were being missed years ago. We just didn't have the technology to be able to catch all plays and be able to break them down like it can be done today.

The Iowa returner looked like he was giving some kind of signal by waving his hand. I can see how it was called.

I’m still wondering about the “offensive PI” call against Durham vs MN. Even the former MN coach on the tv call wondered where the foul was. Probably cost us the game and possibly a bowl that year.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Interesting stuff. It sounds like the sideways waving of the arm thing trumps the hand-over-the-head thing anyway, and that you can't advance a punt after doing either one of them. It's definitely reviewable. The Iowa-fan tweets said that the Minnesota players didn't let up upon seeing the signal, but I wonder if a couple of them may have. There might have been a defender a little closer to Cooper if not for the signal. Especially with him right along the sidelines where he could have easily gotten knocked out of bounds.
screw the hawks, they had like 11 yds of total offense in the 2nd half. They have been getting away w/ playing while having a low ceiling for errors

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT