ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Painter at the top of Texas's coaching search wishlist.

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
Don't shoot the messenger. There is ZERO percent chance of Coach Painter leaving Purdue for Texas. He has too much going for him here...Zachen, recruiting contacts, success, highly ranked team, good players coming in, awesome freshmen balling like crazy, etc.

Last edited:
That will be the shortest phone conversation in history.

Texas: "Hey Coach Painter, how y'all doin' up thar? How would you like to come to Texas and win a national championship?"

Painter:
tenor.gif

Don't shoot the messenger. There is ZERO percent chance of Coach Painter leaving Purdue for Texas. He has too much going for him here...Zachen, recruiting contacts, success, highly ranked team, good players coming in, awesome freshmen balling like crazy, etc.

His bio reads “Covering Northwestern hoops and UIC athletics”. Not sure how that gets you in on the know for UT basketball exactly.

Painter should be the top of many schools lists. What’s not to love about how he runs a ship. Only thing alluding him is a final four and national championship. That will come at his current pace. That said I hope he breaks every big ten record and retires from Purdue in another 20+ years.

Painter might be an attractive choice for Texas, but I don't know if Texas is an attractive destination for Painter. Jamie Dixon could be a great choice, though. He's had success at both Pitt and TCU. Looks like TCU has something cooking this year.

Painter might be an attractive choice for Texas, but I don't know if Texas is an attractive destination for Painter. Jamie Dixon could be a great choice, though. He's had success at both Pitt and TCU. Looks like TCU has something cooking this year.
Can’t believe I didn’t think of Dixon.

Painter should be the top of many schools lists. What’s not to love about how he runs a ship. Only thing alluding him is a final four and national championship. That will come at his current pace. That said I hope he breaks every big ten record and retires from Purdue in another 20+
For the love of the game.. ..CMP loves the game and Purdue.....kids come here to be a part of something bigger than themselves....

It says that they are willing to break the bank. They really would have to break the bank to get Calipari, since he has about a $55 million buyout with UK

Reactions: pboiler18
It says that they are willing to break the bank. They really would have to break the bank to get Calipari, since he has about a $55 million buyout with UK
I think I heard the buyout is only if he is fired. If he leaves on his own, there is no buyout. Even if that isn’t accurate, that’s a drop in the bucket for Texas and their oil money. It’s also probably negotiable like the other poster said.

Now that I think of it, isn't Jamie Dixon a TCU grad? I vaguely remember it being a homecoming when he left Pitt for TCU. Texas might have difficulty with that one, too.
Right. It might come down to money and the Big 12 falling apart in a couple years. It won’t impact basketball as much though.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Now that I think of it, isn't Jamie Dixon a TCU grad? I vaguely remember it being a homecoming when he left Pitt for TCU. Texas might have difficulty with that one, too.
he is a TCU grad.

My money is UT goes after Nate Oats.

And Saben was at the top of our coaches search for Football......

• Wow
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Painter should be the top of many schools lists. What’s not to love about how he runs a ship. Only thing alluding him is a final four and national championship. That will come at his current pace. That said I hope he breaks every big ten record and retires from Purdue in another 20+ years.

Agreed. Not sure why Painter leaves his alma matter for a latteral job. Painter will make allot of money anywhere at this point. We just lost our football coach to return to his alma matter. Unfortunately, that move makes sense to me. Painter might never leave Purdue, but he only leaves for a better job. That job is either pro or a program with much better recruiting like Kansas or Kentucky....but Texas? No way

I am 50/50 on Painter retiring at Purdue, which considering how few coaches stay for 30+ years, is really good.

Reactions: punaj
Water and oil. He couldn't coach pros without pulling all of his hair out.

100% agree, i wast being specific to him, just to what is a better coahing job in basketball than Purdue, pro, and specific, NBA is a better job,

As for Painter, he wouldt be a succesful NBA coach for several reasons, one ofcourse is coaching style, but the game is different than college and wouldnt work. He would be excellent at helping young players develop, but he sort of has that job now, lol

Reactions: Do Dah Day
CMP going to TX would be a demotion, especially with where the program is now and who is coming in the near future. Makes no sense on so many levels.

Reactions: tenwest
Purdue needs to step up and pay him double his current salary. They have been paying him on the cheap Chris Holtmann makes double what Painter makes. I could see him leaving and I would have no problem with it. PAY HIM!

Purdue needs to step up and pay him double his current salary. They have been paying him on the cheap Chris Holtmann makes double what Painter makes. I could see him leaving and I would have no problem with it. PAY HIM!
Please provide link to that salary difference. Everything I see says they both make 3.5 million per year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT