ADVERTISEMENT

Coach’s explanation of Purdue’s last play at Minne

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
From Mike Carmin‘s Substack column which is from her show with Tim Newton last night. I have not watched yet. The explanation is not very satisfying but at least she did not dodge the question.

From Mike Carmin‘s Substack column which is from her show with Tim Newton last night. I have not watched yet. The explanation is not very satisfying but at least she did not dodge the question.

I have to ask why run the last play for Madison when she is a player that shrinks away from the spotlight most of the time and often wilts under pressure the last two seasons? That strikes me as a coaching staff that doesn't understand the strengths and weaknesses of their players.

It was obvious both Madison and Jeanae panicked and made mistakes. I'm sure nobody feels worse than these two young ladies.

The big issue is they let a good road win slip away. Now they need to win a couple they are not expected to win. This team is capable of beating anyone left on the schedule. It will say a lot about the character or resolve of the ladies by how they compete Sunday at Notre Dame.

It was obvious both Madison and Jeanae panicked and made mistakes. I'm sure nobody feels worse than these two young ladies.

The big issue is they let a good road win slip away. Now they need to win a couple they are not expected to win. This team is capable of beating anyone left on the schedule. It will say a lot about the character or resolve of the ladies by how they compete Sunday at Notre Dame.
Without injuries there are 4 teams at a minimum this team is incapable of defeating left on the schedule. To believe otherwise is to say that the coaches and team have grossly underperformed and done a horrible job to date. I believe the results pretty accurately reflect the quality of this years team, and that we are in for a real struggle in most of the remaining games but ISU, NU, and maybe Rutgers.

Without injuries there are 4 teams at a minimum this team is incapable of defeating left on the schedule. To believe otherwise is to say that the coaches and team have grossly underperformed and done a horrible job to date. I believe the results pretty accurately reflect the quality of this years team, and that we are in for a real struggle in most of the remaining games but ISU, NU, and maybe Rutgers.
That might be a little harsh. I think Michigan State is gettable, but youre not far off. If a wnit bid is a best hope, then turn it over to the freshman. I know theyve underperformed but they all look to have a higher ceiling and it will help for next year.

As for the last shot, watching it a couple times it looked like there were a few options for layden to pass to but I would be shocked if it was supposed to go to Terry. Layden could definitely have taken it but like Russ said she panicked then had a look of shock that it was stolen.

With Jones hurt though, the five on the court at the end we're probably the best options on the team in that moment. Lack of freshman production, Smith is an empty shirt, Aliana Mila don't give you much if anything.

That might be a little harsh. I think Michigan State is gettable, but youre not far off. If a wnit bid is a best hope, then turn it over to the freshman. I know theyve underperformed but they all look to have a higher ceiling and it will help for next year.

As for the last shot, watching it a couple times it looked like there were a few options for layden to pass to but I would be shocked if it was supposed to go to Terry. Layden could definitely have taken it but like Russ said she panicked then had a look of shock that it was stolen.

With Jones hurt though, the five on the court at the end we're probably the best options on the team in that moment. Lack of freshman production, Smith is an empty shirt, Aliana Mila don't give you much if anything.
4 teams: IU, Iowa, OSU, and ND

Madison was supposed to shoot, there were no passing options, Madison was supposed to shoot or drive and shoot, it was all on her, and she bailed on the team.

Turning it over to the frosh probably means a losing season and not even making the WNIT. The two that have shown they are ready to play, Jones and Stevenson are getting plenty of minutes. The rest are pretty much empty uniforms against Power 5 teams so far. Without the 4 seniors I am not sure we could beat anyone but NU and MAYBE Rutgers in Big Ten play. It would also badly damage Katie's reputation in recruiting: "Yeah, be careful going to Purdue, even if you are one the of the best players as a senior, if the season takes a dip she will bury you on the bench to play inferior freshmen." You play the best players and play to win, anything else plants poison in team chemistry.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
4 teams: IU, Iowa, OSU, and ND

Madison was supposed to shoot, there were no passing options, Madison was supposed to shoot or drive and shoot, it was all on her, and she bailed on the team.

Turning it over to the frosh probably means a losing season and not even making the WNIT. The two that have shown they are ready to play, Jones and Stevenson are getting plenty of minutes. The rest are pretty much empty uniforms against Power 5 teams so far. Without the 4 seniors I am not sure we could beat anyone but NU and MAYBE Rutgers in Big Ten play. It would also badly damage Katie's reputation in recruiting: "Yeah, be careful going to Purdue, even if you are one the of the best players as a senior, if the season takes a dip she will bury you on the bench to play inferior freshmen." You play the best players and play to win, anything else plants poison in team chemistry.
Fair points.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Fair points.
Fair points, you’re both correct though. Swanson as a Jr was the Sun Times player of the year in Chicagoland, possibly the entire state. She got hurt last year, if she’s totally healthy I would love to see her get 10-15 minutes a night, not sure on Monson, even her though, if she’s not good enough to get any minutes on this team I question why she was recruited? Not a fan of playing these girls 30+ minutes a night or whatever it is. If by playing the youngsters a little costs a WNIT bid is it really a big deal?

Reactions: MichaelRR
In fairness, burying them on a bench isn’t the same as cutting off some minutes. I do get your point though, for me I would like to see Swanson get more minutes.
I definitely would not mind seeing Swanson earn more minutes, I think she is not in game shape yet, only cleared to play a couple of weeks ago. I would love for Sophie to move up the depth chart to 7th or so and get minutes from Smith and McKenna at the very least. I also would not mind seeing a little more of Monson, if she can get her shot dialed in her passing would help take some pressure off Terry. But you still have to play to win and if players aren't earning the minutes they are given, it can easily lead to locker room issues, especially on a team that is underperforming anyway.

Some players don't successfully transition to college ball. Monique Langston, 2 time Orange county California (LA) player of the year, big time scorer in AAU ball.... and sat the end of the bench her whole career at Purdue, just never adjusted to the college game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT