ADVERTISEMENT

China is awesome

On the offhand chance anyone actually susceptible to conspiracy theory is reachable

It is improbable that SARS-CoV-2 emerged through laboratory manipulation of an existing SARS-related coronavirus. As noted above, the RBD of SARS-CoV-2 is optimized for human ACE2 receptor binding with an efficient binding solution different to that which would have been predicted. Further, if genetic manipulation had been performed, one would expect that one of the several reverse genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would have been used. However, this is not the case as the genetic data shows that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone17. Instead, we propose two scenarios that can plausibly explain the origin of SARS-CoV-2: (i) natural selection in a non-human animal host prior to zoonotic transfer, and (ii) natural selection in humans following zoonotic transfer. We also discuss whether selection during passage in culture could have given rise to the same observed features.

http://virological.org/t/the-proximal-origin-of-sars-cov-2/398

Now if you are susceptible to conspiracy theory you are no doubt busily focusing on “improbable” or linking this paper to the Chinese or to “Liberal Media” or something. After all you are merely being skeptical and asking questions right?

Well don’t forget to give equal weight to the idea it was created by the US Military!

https://www.globalresearch.ca/china-coronavirus-shocking-update/5705196

Shocking indeed!

On the offhand chance anyone actually susceptible to conspiracy theory is reachable

Now if you are susceptible to conspiracy theory you are no doubt busily focusing on “improbable” or linking this paper to the Chinese or to “Liberal Media” or something. After all you are merely being skeptical and asking questions right?

Well don’t forget to give equal weight to the idea it was created by the US Military!

Shocking indeed!

I am sure you don't agree, but we have way too many people now totally ignorant of history and they just believe whatever newsfeeds they read on their phones. That is not a good recipe for us going forward. Just go ask the next 2 or 3 people that throw out the Nazi word when talking about US politics then ask them to recite how Nazism came about, and when they can't even tell you the first thing about it, what does that tell you? Way too many people just lap up what they see on their phones. I still don't get why our major media outlets on almost every level give China a pass. Where are the stories about how much key raw materials are now in China's hands? What about all the pharma raw materials? Nothing on hypersonic missle technology; stealing our technology. I get that they hate Trump, but is giving China a pass more important than they hatred of Trump? How can you conclude otherwise? Anyone who asks this stuff on Twitter et al is immediately labeled a racist, a white nationalist, etc. Many people asking these questions are a hell of lot more educated/well read than the MSM lap dogs.

Shocking indeed!

It's UNREAL. I'm at a loss here. If people are going to question the media and "ask the questions" they can't only "ask questions" about sources that they don't agree with.

The virus was not created in a lab. The facility in Wuhan is NOT a "bioweapon facility". These are not opinions, it's not MSM creation it's obvious facts if you do literally 30 seconds of research. Try it, google "Wuhan China biohazard lab". Look at freaking wikipedia. It literally addresses all of this. Do anything besides just blindly trusting the media sources telling you to distrust media (besides them of course)

It's UNREAL. I'm at a loss here. If people are going to question the media and "ask the questions" they can't only "ask questions" about sources that they don't agree with.

The virus was not created in a lab. The facility in Wuhan is NOT a "bioweapon facility". These are not opinions, it's not MSM creation it's obvious facts if you do literally 30 seconds of research. Try it, google "Wuhan China biohazard lab". Look at freaking wikipedia. It literally addresses all of this. Do anything besides just blindly trusting the media sources telling you to distrust media (besides them of course)
Careful citing Wikipedia. I may or may not have been listed as a famous spoons player from Ypsilanti, MI for a few months before someone realized famous and spoons don't go together.

It’s great the way they stopped this virus in its tracks. Strangely though, they keep shipping more urns into the affected areas. I guess they’re just restocking or something.
CCP accounting... there is an Urn-ings gap!

Reactions: ecouch
Careful citing Wikipedia. I may or may not have been listed as a famous spoons player from Ypsilanti, MI for a few months before someone realized famous and spoons don't go together.

That is pretty funny lol, no Wikipedia isn't perfect.

But even given that, it can be valuable for a 30-second ground-truthing of these wild conspiracies before starting to talk/post about them to anyone who will listen

Why would they release it in their own country and take all the blame for letting it get out? Wouldn’t they release it in LA or NYC so we looked bad?

again...plausible deniability...by killing off their own, they can say it was a "wet market" transmission and/or now as they are trying to claim,...US Military visitors to the Wuhan area released it. They are not allowing outside scientists in to fully evaluate their data and the "wet market" from which they claim it started.

Reactions: Codeman00
I agree but just asking questions about it does not mean anyone on here should be labeled a conspiracy nut.
THAT is the problem in many things on many issues. Instead of attacking the stance with counterpoints or reasons of the opposite, labeling is applied. This face of labeling instead of destroying a point someone makes comes in many forms, and perhaps I'm forgetting somewhat in my youth, but I don't recall the importance of following the herd as much years ago. It seemed like it was the opposite somewhat. If someone wants to suggest a zone, I have no problem discussing the reasons for and against it and did to my dismay many, many posts, but that doesn't mean they are anti-painter. If someone doesn't think Matt gets good enough recruits, that too is an opinion...but doesn't mean a person in anti-painter. If someone thinks China is and has been a bigger problem than Russia, that doesn't mean he or she is nuts. State why you hold an opinion and the other can state why he or she holds a different view.

This applies to Wikipedia...are you kidding???

I'll trust sources on the Congressional Intelligence Committee...you can trust Wikipedia.

Reactions: BoilerPride

So is Nature a right-wing science journal?

https://www.nature.com/news/polopol...tColumn/pdf/nature.2017.21487.pdf?origin=ppub

Reactions: tjreese

Shocking indeed!
I like this, but I have to admit it would take some time to see if I could understand it well enough to have an informed opinion. The conclusion in the first link was interesting though.

“ Indeed, the availability of the RaTG13 bat sequence facilitated the comparative genomic analysis performed here, helping to reveal the key mutations in the RBD as well as the polybasic cleavage site insertion.
The genomic features described here may in part explain the infectiousness and transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. Although genomic evidence does not support the idea that SARS-CoV-2 is a laboratory construct, it is currently impossible to prove or disprove the other theories of its origin described here, and it is unclear whether future data will help resolve this issue.”

Why can’t the second link be true I say showing my ignorance of genetics? I see nothing to suggest that either link could not be true. Like all in this forum I imagine I wish I understood haplotypes so I could discern better. I do not know how long it must take for a virus to mutate…AND admit ignorance here. Understanding DNA much better is on my bucket list when I retire to help understand genetics to some degree for ancestry and such.

I think the safe answer is we don’t know a lot about it. It seems to me that the only honest answer for anyone is that they don’t know and admit such and offer thoughts that others can question and counter if desired.

Exactly it's a pathogen lab where they study pathogens and international organizations know what goes on there... not a "bioweapons facility". Not even remotely close to the same thing
The definition of a pathogen is “a bacterium, virus, or other microorganism that can cause disease.

The definition of a bio weapon is “ a harmful biological agent (such as a pathogenic microorganism or a neurotoxin) used as a weapon to cause death or disease usually on a large scale.

So, what am I missing?

again...plausible deniability...by killing off their own, they can say it was a "wet market" transmission and/or now as they are trying to claim,...US Military visitors to the Wuhan area released it. They are not allowing outside scientists in to fully evaluate their data and the "wet market" from which they claim it started.[/QU
The definition of a pathogen is “a bacterium, virus, or other microorganism that can cause disease.

The definition of a bio weapon is “ a harmful biological agent (such as a pathogenic microorganism or a neurotoxin) used as a weapon to cause death or disease usually on a large scale.

So, what am I missing?

Yes a pathogen would be a biological weapon.... so saying not even remotely close was probably an overstatement.

But biological weapons are releasing a pathogen... as a weapon. They would research how to use and deploy them. Do you think the US CDC would collaborate on these weapons projects? https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/25/5/18-0220_article

Instead they do studies learning how to make vaccines and treat them. Yeah, it's fair to question Chinese research practices but suggesting they are building weapons is a much different accusation.

You don’t know Jack about Chinese policy. They ABSOLUTELY care about how they look on the international stage.

Really? You don’t know what I know. Superficially, you are right, they want you to think they are something they are not. But not to the point of changing their core values and harming their long term vision. They look farther down the road than we do and are willing to make alarming sacrifices.

Reactions: ecouch
Some really bright doctors I know
Exactly it's a pathogen lab where they study pathogens and international organizations know what goes on there... not a "bioweapons facility". Not even remotely close to the same thing
w
Just for the record, I did not get this from Fox News. I know a lot of bright doctors who were worried this came about due to lab accident there. I doubt if that happened, but questionning things like this does not mean anyone is a right wing nut job.

Really? You don’t know what I know. Superficially, you are right, they want you to think they are something they are not. But not to the point of changing their core values and harming their long term vision. They look farther down the road than we do and are willing to make alarming sacrifices.
I probably do. China would likely rather everyone think that they came up with this in a lab than some dude ate a bat. And they would certainly want everyone to think they controlled it and the population swiftly and orderly.

I just hope our country learns its lesson not to have all its eggs in one basket. Before this crisis I knew they were a major supplier of medication but was dumbfounded to find out they are the sole supplier of some key medications. We should never have to rely on a foreign country for medicine or other key items that involve safety or defense of this country
How about steel? Electronics? Machine tools? The list goes on and on.

I like this, but I have to admit it would take some time to see if I could understand it well enough to have an informed opinion. The conclusion in the first link was interesting though.

“ Indeed, the availability of the RaTG13 bat sequence facilitated the comparative genomic analysis performed here, helping to reveal the key mutations in the RBD as well as the polybasic cleavage site insertion.
The genomic features described here may in part explain the infectiousness and transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. Although genomic evidence does not support the idea that SARS-CoV-2 is a laboratory construct, it is currently impossible to prove or disprove the other theories of its origin described here, and it is unclear whether future data will help resolve this issue.”

Why can’t the second link be true I say showing my ignorance of genetics? I see nothing to suggest that either link could not be true. Like all in this forum I imagine I wish I understood haplotypes so I could discern better. I do not know how long it must take for a virus to mutate…AND admit ignorance here. Understanding DNA much better is on my bucket list when I retire to help understand genetics to some degree for ancestry and such.

I think the safe answer is we don’t know a lot about it. It seems to me that the only honest answer for anyone is that they don’t know and admit such and offer thoughts that others can question and counter if desired.

It’s not a matter of what CAN be true. It’s a matter of what things are most likely, what evidence they are supported by, and what the sources of that evidence are.

What is more likely, that a virus arose naturally or that it was deliberately bioengineered?

Is there evidence it was bioengineered? Is that evidence direct or the kind of evidence presented on “Ancient Aliens”: “Could it not be that...” (My wife has given up watching that show with me in the room as I keep shouting “No! It couldn’t!” at the TV)

Do the people supporting the idea argue in the style of conspiracy theory where anything that supports the idea is treated credulously and anything that doesn’t is “biased” or part of the conspiracy?

This shouldn’t be difficult, but it has become wildly difficult it seems.

The problem is that when anyone can post stuff for everyone to see and it all looks the same, there is lot of nonsense out there. People end treating everything with suspicion, but that just ends up with treating the garbage and the good information equally, or worse the garbage more equally. “I can’t trust CNN/Fox News, but my friend says he knows a credible guy who says it is bioengineered!”

People think they are being clever and skeptical and open minded, but what they are being is gullible and credulous.

It is a defining trend of our times and the driver behind the rise of populist nationalist illiberal democracy around the globe.

History teaches us that dramatic global events such as this pandemic are the catalyzing moments where things that have been slowly rotting from within topple and the rising replacements step to the front of the stage.

I darkly expect history will record that this is the moment that marks the end of the era of American lead globalism and democratic government and the beginning of authoritarian nationalist rule as the dominant form of government with China as its exemplar and preeminent global power.

Finally crushing the last embers of hope for a golden future I felt as the Berlin Wall came down.

And that’s the story of why I hate the “Bernie Bros”.

That's exactly why President Trump thinks we should be less dependant on foreign countries! He's been saying that since his campaign and of course the left and the MSM gave him hell for it!

They own much of our debt. If they demand immediate repayment we're done, it won't matter who the President is. BTW - no one has ever demanded that Wal-Mart stop buying goods from them or that consumers should boycott them until Wal-Mart changes.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
They own much of our debt. If they demand immediate repayment we're done, it won't matter who the President is. BTW - no one has ever demanded that Wal-Mart stop buying goods from them or that consumers should boycott them until Wal-Mart changes.
I am obviously not a Trump fan, but this is completely incorrect. They hold a massive amount of US treasury bonds, but they don’t have a right to exercise any type of immediate repayment. They get the same coupons and scheduled principle repayments as our grandmothers who hold treasury notes. On the other hand, what they could do is decide to dump their holdings in the markets, which would lead to substantial increases in bond yields and ultimately, the future borrowing costs for the US, and that would hurt a lot. Of course, this would also lead to big market losses for China, but it would be a drop in the bucket overall.

Last edited:
I probably do. China would likely rather everyone think that they came up with this in a lab than some dude ate a bat. And they would certainly want everyone to think they controlled it and the population swiftly and orderly.

My money is that you aren’t half as smart as you think you are. Doesn’t mean you aren’t a sharp guy. It’s just that your arrogance is so unbecoming. Ironically, I agree with your thinking about the Chinese preferring the lab to the bat. I must just disagree with which is more palatable to the rest of the world.

My money is that you aren’t half as smart as you think you are. Doesn’t mean you aren’t a sharp guy. It’s just that your arrogance is so unbecoming. Ironically, I agree with your thinking about the Chinese preferring the lab to the bat. I must just disagree with which is more palatable to the rest of the world.
If anything, this entire thread is complete trash at this point. Tin hats galore.

Arrogance? Nah. I’ve just spent the last eight years or so up until the winter being read in on Chinese politics, military policy, centers of gravity, etc. I don’t know it all, but I know enough to know that being perceived in certain ways is absolutely critical to the CCP and their near term plans.

I love this thread - it is so far out there with facts and analysis that I am reconsidering my views on Roswell, NM. To inject a note of reality, I want to point out that the World Health Organization {W.H.O} sent a group of international experts to China in February, 2020 to investigate the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan.

Link to their report: https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf.

If anything, this entire thread is complete trash at this point. Tin hats galore.

People apparently have way too much time on their hands and, coupled with no inbound or outbound filter on information, that is going to lead to trash threads on Internet message boards.

I find it interesting that at a time when people were calling for retaliatory action against China for the "Chinese virus", their reporting numbers dropping significantly - to a level which could represent the number of deaths to foreigners in their country. (Something they couldn't refute) My bet is that the urns prove the virus is still raging - just not being reported on natives.

That’s a hell of a diet.

One Beijing researcher, now in jail, made a million dollars selling his monkeys and rats on the live animal market, where they eventually wound up in someone’s stomach.

The nightmare food in China is a rare cheeseburger with raw lettuce and tomato.

Cheese, rare beef and raw vegetables gross them out.
I love this thread - it is so far out there with facts and analysis that I am reconsidering my views on Roswell, NM. To inject a note of reality, I want to point out that the World Health Organization {W.H.O} sent a group of international experts to China in February, 2020 to investigate the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan.

Link to their report: https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf.

Fake News! The WHO has political motives.

Did I do that correctly?

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

The WHO is so far up China's a......

I am obviously not a Trump fan, but this is completely incorrect. They hold a massive amount of US treasury bonds, but they don’t have a right to exercise any type of immediate repayment. They get the same coupons and scheduled principle repayments as our grandmothers who hold treasury notes. On the other hand, what they could do is decide to dump their holdings in the markets, which would lead to substantial increases in bond yields and ultimately, the future borrowing costs for the US, and that would hurt a lot. Of course, this would also lead to big market losses for China, but it would be a drop in the bucket overall.

What about the Wal Mart & China link? THAT is also incorrect? It's amused me that some of the most anti-China Americans run to Wal-Mart and never look at who made their purchases.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
What about the Wal Mart & China link? THAT is also incorrect? It's amused me that some of the most anti-China Americans run to Wal-Mart and never look at who made their purchases.
Everyone buys goods from China, Vietnam, and other countries not just Wal Mart. It’s cheaper to do so. This actually keeps the cost of goods lower for US consumers.

Reactions: goboilers2
Might as well throw Lowe's, Home Depot, Macy's, Target, Stein Mart, Mennards, and your local hardware store, into the same bunch.

Strange how our media will not even question them.

If I recently read an update on this correctly, China has restricted our media from covering it. We are blind, other than our intelligence services which don't share their info. with us. I continue to believe their recent numbers reflect the cases and deaths of foreigners- which is difficult for them to refute - but that's my brother's gut feel. (not based on fact)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT