ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain NIL?

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
My understanding at first was college athletes could use their name,image, and likeness to generate income. Cool, nothing wrong with that.

But everything I'm seeing with the portal sounds like it is pay to play, like paying a free agent. Burks for example, did he literally just get a bag for going to OU, or does he need to do anything (commercials, promotions, jump out of a few cakes)?

Can the athlete sign directly with someone like Nike, or do they have to go through the Boilermaker Alliance for example?

I'm just trying to understand how this all works exactly. Thanks

Reactions: tenwest
This SI article seems like a good explanation. As I understand it, boosters who form an NIL collective are legally prevented from directly offering an NIL payment to recruit someone to come to their school.

"Players aren't supposed to get any compensation tied to performance, and recruits cannot sign any NIL deal contingent on going to any particular school."

But apparently the NCAA is concerned that prosecuting that will open up the NCAA to an antitrust suit making it difficult to enforce that.

This SI article seems like a good explanation. As I understand it, boosters who form an NIL collective are legally prevented from directly offering an NIL payment to recruit someone to come to their school.

"Players aren't supposed to get any compensation tied to performance, and recruits cannot sign any NIL deal contingent on going to any particular school."

But apparently the NCAA is concerned that prosecuting that will open up the NCAA to an antitrust suit making it difficult to enforce that.

My understanding at first was college athletes could use their name,image, and likeness to generate income. Cool, nothing wrong with that.

But everything I'm seeing with the portal sounds like it is pay to play, like paying a free agent. Burks for example, did he literally just get a bag for going to OU, or does he need to do anything (commercials, promotions, jump out of a few cakes)?

Can the athlete sign directly with someone like Nike, or do they have to go through the Boilermaker Alliance for example?

Not pretending to know much about this space. But the facade that players are not bought in the recruiting class or transfer portal is naive.

Huskers Online are not pretending with the NIL facade. Nebraska has a war chest and will use the money to buy players. Been going on for years under the table, but now teams are more blatant about it.

Radio guy was making a comment that Arch Manning will make more money ($3 million) sitting on the bench for 2 years than what Brock Purdy is making at SF under his rookie contract.

No Income Limit

Reactions: z_one and SKYDOG
Not pretending to know much about this space. But the facade that players are not bought in the recruiting class or transfer portal is naive.

Huskers Online are not pretending with the NIL facade. Nebraska has a war chest and will use the money to buy players. Been going on for years under the table, but now teams are more blatant about it.

Radio guy was making a comment that Arch Manning will make more money ($3 million) sitting on the bench for 2 years than what Brock Purdy is making at SF under his rookie contract.
Oh, it's a total facade. Technically, they're not supposed to make commitments contingent on NIL payments, but everybody knows that is BS.

There are rules and then there is enforcement of rules. So far the NCAA has only enforced the rules once and that was against Miami trying to recruit those twin sisters and the guy who gave pack that money was punished for giving the twins money before they actually enrolled. The NcAa cries a lot, but they have made zero effort to enforce the rules against schools who are using the NIL for recruiting.

NIL = what was going on below the table has been made legal above the table.

Everything that was predicted about NIL has in fact come true and shoeing no sign of stopping.
The only real difference is the players have to declare what they receive and pay taxes on it’s either a gift or income . And the donors declare their giving as either a business/marketing expense, good will, or a charity contribution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT