ADVERTISEMENT

Burks decision must be NIL related

Feb 7, 2007
Sooner HC is defense oriented. They just lost their OC (Jeff Lebby) to Miss State. Their QB is gone. Purdue has more recent success putting receivers into the NFL. At Texas he could catch passes from Ewars or Manning. Has to be better NIL money at Oklahoma.

Sooner HC is defense oriented. They just lost their OC (Jeff Lebby) to Miss State. Their QB is gone. Purdue has more recent success putting receivers into the NFL. At Texas he could catch passes from Ewars or Manning. Has to be better NIL money at Oklahoma.
Looks like Neb is trying to bring in some top shelf help

I mentioned on here 3 weeks ago that Burks might leave. Many people thought it would be a mistake to leave us. If he did leave, no big time program would want him in their opinion. I guess they were wrong. I could still see Yaseen possibly leaving.

Reactions: Riveting-
So he's officially an SEC receiver. I thought that's what we were looking for? Lol

Anyway, I guess it must all be about NIL with Burks. I dont blame him for getting his bag, but seems extremely risky going from the #1 at Purdue where we tried to force feed him the ball at times to being what's got to be some stiff competition at WR, then again maybe that's what he wanted.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
I mentioned on here 3 weeks ago that Burks might leave. Many people thought it would be a mistake to leave us. If he did leave, no big time program would want him in their opinion. I guess they were wrong. I could still see Yaseen possibly leaving.
Mistake yes, but I dont remember anyone saying no big time program would want him. Maybe they did and I missed it.

So he's officially an SEC receiver. I thought that's what we were looking for? Lol

Anyway, I guess it must all be about NIL with Burks. I dont blame him for getting his bag, but seems extremely risky going from the #1 at Purdue where we tried to force feed him the ball at times to being what's got to be some stiff competition at WR, then again maybe that's what he wanted.
Word is that there's a clique at wr and he bought in. Shefield is addition by subtraction from what I'm hearing.

Be interesting to see his stats after next year compared to the numbers he put up at Purdue. Call me grumpy but I’m tired of seeing fans thanking and wishing players like Burks good luck while that so called player is walking out the door to another school…the dude is literally jumping ship there is no reason to show him attention and thank him for that or believe the bs social media post they post thanking the school and their coaches! I understand the portal is a two way street and there is some good in there but c’mon people don’t add fuel to the fire with players that abuse the system!

Last edited:
Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
Be interesting to see his stats after next year compared to the numbers he put up at Purdue. Call me grumpy but I’m tired of seeing fans thanking and wishing players like Burks good luck while that so called player is walking out the door to another school…the dude is literally jumping ship there is no reason to show him attention and thank him for that or believe the bs social media post they post thanking the school and their coaches! I understand the portal is a two way street and there is some good in there but c’mon people don’t add fuel to the fire with players that abuse the system!
Agreed on the stats. I'll be losely following. One thing I love about college sports is watching the guys mature and improve. I felt Burks was a guy who greatly improved and was excited to see what he would be able to do next year for us.

Reactions: z_one
Mistake yes, but I dont remember anyone saying no big time program would want him. Maybe they did and I missed it.
No one said that. I think some didn't think he was a number one receiver and I agree with that. But he was certainly a talented slot receiver and obviously not having him here isn't a positive from a talent standpoint.

Still, he's not going to Oklahoma because they air it out more or he likes the scheme better. I'm guessing it was about dollars. Which is quite fine. If someone is offering him a bag he should take it. He's likely not pro material and if he can get a five or six figure headstart on life after college he'd be a fool to not take it.

Interesting landing spot for Burks. Their leading WR was like 25 so he’s gone but apparently they have an already loaded WR room. The fan reactions I’ve seen are that it wasn’t a need at all but cool we’ll take him. We’ll see how productive he can be.

Gonna be like this going forward, we will lose good players cause our NIL won’t, not can’t compete. We don’t care enough to have a top notch program ( as much as we bitch about it ) to pony up to the changing times. Welcome to mediocrity

Reactions: Wolegib
Gonna be like this going forward, we will lose good players cause our NIL won’t, not can’t compete. We don’t care enough to have a top notch program ( as much as we bitch about it ) to pony up to the changing times. Welcome to mediocrity

Who is “we”? The issue is this…I can give 1k, 10k, 50k…the kids will always want more. It will never be enough! I’m sure Burks didn’t get the 500k he wanted but he probably got 100k…when has or when will Purdue ever be able to compete with that? Why should Purdue want to compete with that? I feel like it’s antithetical to the mission of a college.

Say you had a spare 500k lying around? Would you rather give it to Burks to stay, or endow scholarships to the entire Women’s soccer team? If you care about Purdue…I think that’s an easy answer.

The fact is, Purdue doesn’t have alumni willing to fork over NIL cash and the school can’t be the one paying players. It’s not that Purdue doesn’t want to…Purdue can’t because the alumni don’t want to.

It’s why Brohm left. It’s why we are stuck with Walters. Our alumni don’t throw cash around like that for football. It is what it is.

Im critical of Walters butnnotnof the NIL and recruiting situation he’s in. Without much to speak of he’s got a decent class and has brought in guys that are seemingly decent and want to play. That’s certainly a credit to him. He just has to figure it out on the field as well. Will he? Time will tell.

We won’t compete for big $$ transfers, b it there are plenty of decent players that want to play, have a shot at the next level and GASP…be students too. Again, not critical of Walters off the field…but he doesn’t seem able to get out of his own way on it.

I wish the teams willing to pay players would go away and do their own thing. We can’t compete, nor should we try IMo

I believe ok offered more nil than Purdue did. However, I doubt they offered him more Nil than he could receive at a number of other places. Maybe he just wanted to play for a winning team and wanted to go to a bowl game.

As for ok, they have had several nfl QBs in the past decade. Maybe he expects they will add another one.

If I were 20 and wanted to play football, and I had a choice of playing at Purdue or OK, I’d choose Ok in a heartbeat over Purdue. I went to Purdue to get an education, not to play football. It doesn’t appear that getting a good education is a factor for athletes in choosing schools.

Who is “we”? The issue is this…I can give 1k, 10k, 50k…the kids will always want more. It will never be enough! I’m sure Burks didn’t get the 500k he wanted but he probably got 100k…when has or when will Purdue ever be able to compete with that? Why should Purdue want to compete with that? I feel like it’s antithetical to the mission of a college.

Say you had a spare 500k lying around? Would you rather give it to Burks to stay, or endow scholarships to the entire Women’s soccer team? If you care about Purdue…I think that’s an easy answer.

The fact is, Purdue doesn’t have alumni willing to fork over NIL cash and the school can’t be the one paying players. It’s not that Purdue doesn’t want to…Purdue can’t because the alumni don’t want to.

It’s why Brohm left. It’s why we are stuck with Walters. Our alumni don’t throw cash around like that for football. It is what it is.

Im critical of Walters butnnotnof the NIL and recruiting situation he’s in. Without much to speak of he’s got a decent class and has brought in guys that are seemingly decent and want to play. That’s certainly a credit to him. He just has to figure it out on the field as well. Will he? Time will tell.

We won’t compete for big $$ transfers, b it there are plenty of decent players that want to play, have a shot at the next level and GASP…be students too. Again, not critical of Walters off the field…but he doesn’t seem able to get out of his own way on it.

I wish the teams willing to pay players would go away and do their own thing. We can’t compete, nor should we try IMo
I agree 100%. I’m a Purdue alumni. I’m a fan of Purdue sports, But when asked for donations, I will give all of my money to support Purdue’s educational programs, their musical organizations and to MS and cancer research. I’m not a member of the John Purdue Club. And have no plans to ever become a member.

I don’t believe that makes me less of a fan. If you have money, I don’t try to pressure you how to spend it. I don’t try to force people to buy a certain car or tell people where to live. If you have money, you would receive more return on your investment than just giving it to an athlete. Donating to NIL funds is not a profitable venture unless you are a business and write it off as a marketing business expense. As for personal expenses, I don't believe Giving to a NIL should be able to be written off as a charitable contribution. I also don’t believe giving to politicians or political action funds should be considered as a charitable contribution either. To me paying for a political campaign or a politician’s legal fees is not a charity.

If you did some research on NILs. You would find players can make their own NIL deals and it doesn’t really matter where they play. Look at Zach Edey! His NIL money isn’t coming from Purdue. It’s the same with Wr Harrison at OSU. He’s supposedly being offer $24 mil to stay at OSU. That money isn’t coming from the school.

To me, you people should stop complaining about Purdue and amount of NIL money the school generates. Purdue is about the same as 90% of the other NCAA schools. Purdue is never going to compete with the donors at Texas A&M or USC. Last time I looked, for all the money they spent they didn’t win many more games than Purdue. And their other programs other than football are less than mediocre.

Ask yourself if Purdue were to win a national championship what will be your return? Bragging rights at a bar? You still have to buy your championship tshirt and ball cap. I don’t frequent bars. So I see no tangible return. Am I less of a fan? I don’t think so. At least by giving to cancer research and to educational endeavors I hope I can make a difference in someone’s real life. I have a family member with cancer and a close friend who is only 55 and dying of cancer. To me, people giving to NIL or political action groups seems kind of stupid!

Call me a troll and put me on ignore if you like. My posts are too long and too non sports oriented. Before giving to a NIL, ask this pointed question, what would your wife say or what would your children say! Sorry, if Purdue loses out on some athlete, I prefer to invest in the ones interested in making a difference for others!

Reactions: NVboiler
It is ALL about "SHOW ME THE MONEY"! It is sad and it puts a damper on following teams no matter how diehard one is. Our Basketball team has had minor turnover due to NIL but until Walters is here for awhile and wins I am afraid that turnover will happen again next year!

Reactions: Bippus33

It's not why Brohm left. He was always going to UL when the opportunity presented itself. It did and he was GONE. I don't know if you can compare NIL funding opportunities in any way to endowment funding, but Purdue ranks 13th of the top 20 public universities in endowment funds. Ahead of IU, ahead of Illinois, ahead of Wisconsin, ahead of UCLA in endowment funding. So there is money out there. Just a shame it has to be spent in this manner. I agree with what you are posting about scholarships. There is a finite amount of funding out there that is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: RossMackey
It's not why Brohm left. He was always going to UL when the opportunity presented itself. It did and he was GONE. I don't know if you can compare NIL funding opportunities in any way to endowment funding, but Purdue ranks 13th of the top 20 public universities in endowment funds. Ahead of IU, ahead of Illinois, ahead of Wisconsin, ahead of UCLA in endowment funding. So there is money out there. Just a shame it has to be spent in this manner. I agree with what you are posting about scholarships. There is a finite amount of funding out there that is available.
My question is: with the new media deal, why can’t the AD fund all the scholarships and then allow some of the money that would have gone to the JPC to go to NIL ?

I don’t feel bad at all about Purdue alumni giving to Purdue endowment funds rather than giving their money to football players. Most of the Purdue alumni who made fortunes made it because of the education they received not because of how many games their football team. And now when it comes to giving back, they are giving back to what helped make their fortunes!

There is an 2000 year old saying , give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s. My thoughts are If NIL wants more money, they should go back and ask their former athletes for it. I currently live in the same community as Neil Armstrong! I’m not sure what he has given to Purdue, But I do know he helped pay for the second biggest YMCA in the U.S.

It’s never been about Purdue alumni not giving back. rather Purdue alumni are a lot more intelligent and also more selective in their giving. Given a choice, they’d rather give to something that makes a difference rather than a football win.

My question is: with the new media deal, why can’t the AD fund all the scholarships and then allow some of the money that would have gone to the JPC to go to NIL ?
The JPC is not the University! The BIG 10 did not make their deal with the JPC. As an alumni, if given a vote, I would tell the University to build a new library or computer lab over giving some football player $5 million .

When first created the BIG 10 network was advertised as being more than just an internet sports network. It was also supposed to include academic oriented programming. Just think of instead of watching reruns of old football games we could watch the PMO Christmas show live. I bet the ratings would be higher!

Last edited:
I don’t feel bad at all about Purdue alumni giving to Purdue endowment funds rather than giving their money to football players. Most of the Purdue alumni who made fortunes made it because of the education they received not because of how many games their football team. And now when it comes to giving back, they are giving back to what helped make their fortunes!

There is an 2000 year old saying , give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s. My thoughts are If NIL wants more money, they should go back and ask their former athletes for it. I currently live in the same community as Neil Armstrong! I’m not sure what he has given to Purdue, But I do know he helped pay for the second biggest YMCA in the U.S.

It’s never been about Purdue alumni not giving back. rather Purdue alumni are a lot more intelligent and also more selective in their giving. Given a choice, they’d rather give to something that makes a difference rather than a football win.
So you live in Cincinnati Ohio? Neil Armstrong won't give anything directly to Purdue as he passed in 2012. He probably has a foundation that does.

Last edited:
Sounds plausible but I don't know the legality of it.
As of now, schools cannot fund it. Has to be alumni/donation driven. A school can’t directly give the players money.

Purdues “failure” to embrace NIL is solely based on the fact that people don’t give to athletics, they give to the academics.

The coach wants it but the AD can’t give it to him. I’d argue the JPC and donation requirements for tickets have the opposite effect.

As of now, schools cannot fund it. Has to be alumni/donation driven. A school can’t directly give the players money.

Purdues “failure” to embrace NIL is solely based on the fact that people don’t give to athletics, they give to the academics.

The coach wants it but the AD can’t give it to him. I’d argue the JPC and donation requirements for tickets have the opposite effect.
It’s time the fans realized NIL money doesn’t come from the schools or the BIG 10 network! It comes from individuals who can donate to the existing NIL fund or directly to the athlete in a separate deal. And it’s time Purdue sports fans realized that prominent and rich Zpurdue alumni care a lot more about Academics than about giving to 1-2 football players who want millions $$

I believe ok offered more nil than Purdue did. However, I doubt they offered him more Nil than he could receive at a number of other places. Maybe he just wanted to play for a winning team and wanted to go to a bowl game.

As for ok, they have had several nfl QBs in the past decade. Maybe he expects they will add another one.

If I were 20 and wanted to play football, and I had a choice of playing at Purdue or OK, I’d choose Ok in a heartbeat over Purdue. I went to Purdue to get an education, not to play football. It doesn’t appear that getting a good education is a factor for athletes in choosing schools.
Sadly, this is the mindset.

“Still Not Buying Wins Since 1869”.

Say this sign at a lake house not far from
Bloomington this summer.

Seems to be a point of pride for some currently.

Might be an envied position in the near future.

It a path to the MAC.

Hard to say about conservative Purdue.

As I said, NIl is the responsibility of donors, not the responsibility of the school. And when first created, the BIG 10 network was promised to be more than just a sports network! It’s sort of like ESPN, most sports fans tend to forget what the E stands for!

So rather than pointing fingers at Purdue for not generating enough NIL money, I suggest you look into the mirror! The only way Purdue athletes will receive more money is if fans like you give it to them. The players like Harrison getting NIL offers for big bucks all have agents securing those deals for them. They are not asking the schools to find that money for them or to share their BIG 10 network money.

So many fans don’t realize where the money is coming from. And many players are receiving some very bad advice from their quasi advisors/handlers/agents. My belief is that OSU’s McChord. And Purdue’s Burks both received some very bad advice as to what they would receive from NIL funds. Burks probably took the best NIL offer he could get which was probably a lot less than he expected . It was probably more than what he received at Purdue but a lot less than planned. As for McChord, his deal also fell apart. Is MChord worth the money or was he just a product of being the starting QB for OSU?

Hello world. First time poster. Burks is a special talent but was virtually unknown before this year. I think Card‘s play and coaches help develop him to become the sought after receiver. (If we had a mediocre QB play, Burks would not have the chance to showcase his talents). Burks was also one of the players in Bruce Feldman’s freak list which caught a lot of attention.

all this to say, Purdue will need to continue to develop the wide receiver talent. I am optimistic about the receivers we have and are bringing in. They will need to be molded by C Harrell and C Patterson to fit into the Air Raid offense system.

The receivers we had last year was probably not the perfect fit.

currently I can not see our NIL buying a top top receiver in the transfer portal.

Hello world. First time poster. Burks is a special talent but was virtually unknown before this year. I think Card‘s play and coaches help develop him to become the sought after receiver. (If we had a mediocre QB play, Burks would not have the chance to showcase his talents). Burks was also one of the players in Bruce Feldman’s freak list which caught a lot of attention.

all this to say, Purdue will need to continue to develop the wide receiver talent. I am optimistic about the receivers we have and are bringing in. They will need to be molded by C Harrell and C Patterson to fit into the Air Raid offense system.

The receivers we had last year was probably not the perfect fit.

currently I can not see our NIL buying a top top receiver in the transfer portal.
Hi Mrs Burks!

• Haha
Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Wow. Are you always a dick.
I am a Purdue fan and choose to be a glass half full kind of guy.
Glass half full on a guy who didn’t feel the same about us. Goodbye!

Burks wasn’t as bad as BCFanatic made him out to be but he’s too small and has average ball skills to be a #1 WR.

I’m looking forward, not back.

Reactions: cillerdo
Glass half full on a guy who didn’t feel the same about us. Goodbye!

Burks wasn’t as bad as BCFanatic made him out to be but he’s too small and has average ball skills to be a #1 WR.

I’m looking forward, not back.
Agreed About looking ahead. The point I was making is that our coaches will need to find diamonds in the rough and develop them. (Charlie Jones comes to mind. Nobody, including Iowa saw potential in him other than a kick returner. Only AOC saw the potential.)

Our current WR room.
Jahmal Edrine 6-3: could be our #1?? We never got to see his talent because of season ending injury.
Jaron Tibbs 6-3: inexperience but showed potential. Maybe a TJ Sheffield replacement??
Elijah Canion 6-4: expected to see him last year? Maybe he does not have the soft hands?
Jayden Dixon-Veal 6-0: with strength and conditioning could become a major contributor?

Luke Jones 6-0: any Charlie Jones traits in him?
Ryne Shackelford 5-11: does he have potential?
Arhmand Branch 6-1: could be a diamond in the rough, or may move over as a DB
George Burhenn 6-5: TE but could we convert him to WR. 220 lbs but trim the weight? He was a track champion and has elite speed and he has good hands. We have good depth at TE maybe changing him to WR would be good. ( Donovan McCulley like).

I like the size and height of the receivers from the incoming 2024 class. The coaches have a good eye in the receiver talent they are looking for.

Thoughts?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

Agreed About looking ahead. The point I was making is that our coaches will need to find diamonds in the rough and develop them. (Charlie Jones comes to mind. Nobody, including Iowa saw potential in him other than a kick returner. Only AOC saw the potential.)

Our current WR room.
Jahmal Edrine 6-3: could be our #1?? We never got to see his talent because of season ending injury.
Jaron Tibbs 6-3: inexperience but showed potential. Maybe a TJ Sheffield replacement??
Elijah Canion 6-4: expected to see him last year? Maybe he does not have the soft hands?
Jayden Dixon-Veal 6-0: with strength and conditioning could become a major contributor?

Luke Jones 6-0: any Charlie Jones traits in him?
Ryne Shackelford 5-11: does he have potential?
Arhmand Branch 6-1: could be a diamond in the rough, or may move over as a DB
George Burhenn 6-5: TE but could we convert him to WR. 220 lbs but trim the weight? He was a track champion and has elite speed and he has good hands. We have good depth at TE maybe changing him to WR would be good. ( Donovan McCulley like).

I like the size and height of the receivers from the incoming 2024 class. The coaches have a good eye in the receiver talent they are looking for.

Thoughts?
Definitely no clear cut depth chart out of that bunch.

Liked what I saw out of Branch coming off Sr year in HS. I believe he made it on the field as a WR this year and had a catch.

Big George looked really good against IU. Yeah why not line him up as receiver?

Excited to see more of Tibbs.

Shackelford has some serious speed. Not sure how it will translate to WR in the B1G.

Yeah, certainly looks like Harrell is looking for bigger WRs.

Definitely no clear cut depth chart out of that bunch.

Liked what I saw out of Branch coming off Sr year in HS. I believe he made it on the field as a WR this year and had a catch.

Big George looked really good against IU. Yeah why not line him up as receiver?

Excited to see more of Tibbs.

Shackelford has some serious speed. Not sure how it will translate to WR in the B1G.

Yeah, certainly looks like Harrell is looking for bigger WRs.
Card was def. The best throwing to Klare and TEs in general. The short easy stuff. Burhenn should def play slot WR/TE and Klare can be the inline TE. Couple that with a solid RB addition, adding 1-2 contributors at WR I don’t see the offense taking a step back.

On defense…CB will make or break us. Will only get better on the IDL and ILB but have real concerns about finding basically 3 good coverage guys to make the D run. Most of our losses show that when the other Offense finds the one weak link we are very easily exposed. Even with a tough schedule if this coach wants to keep the fan base youve gotta make a bowl.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

Yeah this is where I am at for football. Save the big money for basketball and try to make it to the pizza bowl every year.
As the NIL is currently constructed, Purdue will never compete seriously for a BIG ten title much less a national title unless alums change their minds.

Agreed that all the big time football schools make their own league and be done with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT