ADVERTISEMENT

'BOILING OVER' (presented by T&W Design and Build) -- Thursday, March 10, 2022 (discussion)

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
jopl9ur9fsnx2o1ql1ka

Please welcome new BOILING OVER sponsor T&W Design and Build, an Indianapolis construction management company since 1968 with proud Purdue graduates that specialize in changing the way customers think about construction.

Find out more at
TWDesignBuild.com

Welcome to this week's “BOILING OVER,” GoldandBlack.com’s weekly information-clearinghouse and analysis column meant for our site members and site members only. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation in helping us keep what is sometimes delicate or proprietary information confined to this message board. This feature allows us to be more flexible in our reporting, to our readers' benefit, and we lose that ability if we can't keep this feature secure and the value of our site's membership at its peak. Additionally, we address recruiting and hiring processes in-depth and often without filter in this feature and we do it behind a subscription-protected barrier for a reason, in hopes of avoiding situations where our reporting can impact the recruiting process, which can happen occasionally.

So again, we appreciate everyone's cooperation very much. We know there are a lot of aggregator blogs out there, and a lot of you are on Twitter and other message boards. We don’t want to come off like Darth Vader (before he turned good at the end of "Return of the Jedi" of course) here, but we would be doing all our subscribers a disservice if weren’t proactive about protecting the value of their membership.

PURDUE BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Still not thrilled about speculating about this stuff, but now that Bruce Weber has resigned at Kansas State, the Nijel Pack watch is on. If he hits the portal, he will be an absolute priority for Purdue. Whether it can get him or not, we shall see, because he would be a much sought-after player, but he is from Indianapolis, would have a chance at Purdue to play on a good team and if he asks for Weber's thoughts, obviously Matt Painter will come highly recommended. (Chris Lowery has also been on that staff.)

Purdue may look at a couple different positions on the transfer wire this year, but one clear priority and one that won't depend on NBA decisions will be guard, specifically point guard.

Pack averaged 17.4 points as a sophomore this season and has made about 44 percent of his threes.

umq3bdssw81szlgq2mjn

Purdue did recruit Pack out of high school, but did not offer and wound up signing Jaden Ivey and Ethan Morton in that class. Size was a concern Purdue held at the time, we believe, but Pack's obviously proven himself at this point.

As of today, Purdue will have just Isaiah Thompson and freshman Braden Smith at point guard next season, and we're not sure that Purdue won't use Thompson more as an off-ball shooter next season than anything.

Smith will have to play a role next season most likely, but there are going to be real adjustments for him at the next level and obviously he'll have no experience.

We have no insight whatsoever as to whether or not Pack will explore his options, but nowadays It kind of goes without saying that when coaching staffs turn over, everyone's going to evaluate their options.

What's interesting about the K-State situation now, too, is that reports out of there have been that Kansas State will at least make Brad Underwood say no. He's a Big 12 guy and as we understand it, hasn't always seen eye to eye with his administration there dating back to him being FBI investigation-adjacent.

Illinois to Kansas State would be a strange move for a coach to proactively make — Weber made that move but he needed a job — but maybe a storyline for Big Ten basketball here the next few weeks. (BN)

PURDUE FOOTBALL RECRUITING

Purdue has an offer out to Kent State offensive tackle Daniel Johnson and he told us the Boilermakers may have a good chance to land him.

Johnson is slayed to visit West Lafayette on March 25.

He's a native of Canada who has two years of eligibility. He may have a shot to start at Purdue.

Eric Miller figures to be one OT. Johnson could be the other.

His strengths: “Playing basketball my whole life I feel like my quickness and my feet are my strengths as an OT,” said Johnson. “I am able to stick with a lot of athletic guys and as well as my arm length. I can keep defenders away from me in the pass game.” (TD)

Purdue recruit Braden Smith has been going nuts in the state tournament, and because of it, his Westfield team just won its first-ever sectional and now meets teammate-to-be Fletcher Loyer and Homestead on Saturday at the Logansport Regional.

First off, here's the video from Westfield's win over Fishers that we've finally gotten edited. (We'll have more from Logansport this weekend, thanks to staff go-getter Jordan Jones.)

Now, some thoughts on Smith's place with Purdue next season, because I've been asked about this a bunch.

Purdue sort of views Smith as something they don't have right now, and haven't in some time, in terms of him being that playmaking sort of point guard. His competitiveness and charisma are going to stand out on the roster right away as well.

But there are going to some challenges for him, specific to him.

For one thing, he's going to have to show he can play without the ball. If he's going to make shots in halfcourt offense, they're going to be coming off the catch more than off the dribble, and right now, Smith plays almost exclusively with the ball. Decision-making will obviously come to the forefront next season, as opponents become taller, longer and better. Smith does have the ability now to penetrate into traffic and make athletic plays to bail him out of crowds, sometimes even after leaving his feet. Those windows will close at the next level more often than not.

Lastly, Smith's demeanor has always transcended size, but when you're small at point guard in the Big Ten, people are going to attack you in switches.

I think Smith's going to be a really good player at Purdue, but it is entirely likely that his development to that point may require an acclimation year of some kind next year, and thus the need for a veteran to come in to join him. (BN)

Purdue just had 2024 forward Cooper Koch on campus for the third time since the fall, which is a really big deal, but not as big a deal as it would be if he wasn't visiting a bunch of schools repeatedly.

The blue-chip forward from Peoria has made multiple trips to Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin in addition to Purdue and in so doing has seen the teams he's look at a lot, often playing against one another. (He was at Wisconsin for the Purdue game and Illinois for their Iowa game.)

From what we understand, Koch and his family have been fond of Matt Painter and Purdue and Paul Lusk's been on top of things with them, but Iowa's going to be really tough to overcome here. Iowa folks expected an early commitment because of the family's connections. Dad J.R. played at Iowa.

It's also not just that.

Koch would be a really good fit for anyone, but at Iowa, he's got a little Jarrod Uthoff him, though he won't be that big probably, and Isn't all that dissimilar from the Murrays, who also followed their dad's footsteps to Iowa and have done well for themselves. Iowa always seems to do well with legacies (and Its coach's sons).

Iowa would still be our bet, but the door seems to at least be open. (BN)

gwgwlxsx7knilvk7c69h

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News