ADVERTISEMENT

'BOILING OVER' (presented by JFQ Lending) -- Thursday, June 24, 2021 (discussion)

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
dsivtrxv7zxdzlqrshuc

Check out our new sponsor for Knucklehead Central and 'BOILING OVER' JFQ Lending.

Contact Andrew Hogberg at 480-478-0257 or ahogberg@jfqlending.com or PM @TheMortReport

Welcome to this week's “BOILING OVER,” GoldandBlack.com’s weekly information-clearinghouse and analysis column meant for our site members and site members only. We appreciate everyone’s cooperation in helping us keep what is sometimes delicate or proprietary information confined to this message board. This feature allows us to be more flexible in our reporting, to our readers' benefit, and we lose that ability if we can't keep this feature secure and the value of our site's membership at its peak. Additionally, we address recruiting and hiring processes in-depth and often without filter in this feature and we do it behind a subscription-protected barrier for a reason, in hopes of avoiding situations where our reporting can impact the recruiting process, which can happen occasionally.

So again, we appreciate everyone's cooperation very much.We know there are a lot of aggregator blogs out there, and a lot of you are on Twitter and other message boards. We don’t want to come off like Darth Vader (before he turned good at the end of "Return of the Jedi" of course) here, but we would be doing all our subscribers a disservice if weren’t proactive about protecting the value of their membership.

qveyvzajn1vazcyhthlg

PURDUE FOOTBALL RECRUITING

So, here's what we have right now in terms of Purdue football's official visitors this weekend. We'd expect some names to be added to this list.

There's been some comings and goings here already. Purdue was going to bring in RB Demond Claiborne this weekend, but that visit is off, and DBs Rhyland Kelly and Tariq Watson were both on the list at one time or another, but both have committed to Minnesota.

The two most likely commitments off this list are Deeter and eventually Andre Oben. Deeter may be a mere formality.

But this weekend is just a matter of the last visits being taken. Soon, a slew of decisions will come down and potentially provide Purdue a bunch of commitments, though there aren't a whole lot of guarantees beyond maybe Deeter.

If Mariere Omonode is going to happen with Purdue, it should be very soon. The West Side defensive tackle has taken long-planned visits to App State and Arkansas State and does, we believe, essentially have a Purdue offer on the table. This week sometime has been a target date for him.

Then ...

• Linebacker Roman Pitre is supposed to announce tomorrow. He's been down to Purdue and Arizona State, essentially. Conventional logic says that at the very least, ASU's upcoming NCAA troubles and the potential ouster of that staff would be a small problem for them in recruiting, but you never know, we suppose.

• Nose tackle Enyce Sledge will be announcing July 3 between Purdue, Indiana and Baylor. He just visited IU this past weekend.

• Another Louisianan, wide receiver Curtis Deville, should be on the clock, too. We've not been able to reach him since his official visit to Purdue, but believe Purdue to be a real factor there, too, and with Zion Steptoe (Utah) off the board, Purdue still needs a receiver.

• Running back/DB Terence Thomas is down to Purdue and Boston College, we think, and a decision should be forthcoming relatively soon.

Tyler Bivens, the corner from Michigan, did make it to Purdue yesterday for both a visit and camp. I'd have to think that if Purdue turns the screws on him, they'll get him.

That's just a few of the names who'll be on the clock for a decision in the near term, along with some high-end prospects like Joe Strickland and presumably D.J. Moore. (BN)

PURDUE FOOTBALL RECRUITING

Yesterday, Westfield safety Dillon Thieneman was offered by Purdue and became the odds-on favorite to be the Boilermakers' first 2023 commitment. He said this morning that he has no plan for a decision at the moment, but will talk to his family about it soon. Both of his brothers were safeties at Purdue and his father is an alumnus. The youngest Thieneman did say he grew up following/rooting for Purdue, and it sort of goes without saying that was a significant offer.

Marshall has offered early, too, while Penn State has been interested and said It will keep involvement with him. Anthony Poindexter coached Thieneman's brothers at Purdue. Indiana will have Thieneman down for a visit, as well.

No guarantees on this one, but seems like things might line up favorably for Purdue here. (BN)

PURDUE BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Not really telling you anything we haven't already here, but Myles Colvin has acknowledged being "close" to making a decision and we know the tides within his household have been flowing in that direction, with the thought In mind to sidestep some of the hassles that come with recruiting and to simply take what you want when you know you want it.

Obviously all signs point to Purdue.

Indiana and now Butler have offered since the weekend, IU's offer being a bit of a surprising one, given the family's partiality toward Purdue and the fact that we're not even sure Mike Woodson even watched him during his brief stay at the IBCA Showcase last Saturday. He definitely didn't watch the first of his two games, nor did assistant Dane Fife.

IU offered Colvin before Xavier Booker (who was offered this week) or Jalen Hooks or any other player in the state.

Anyway, this one may move quickly for Purdue and there wouldn't really seem to be any room for complication here. It is the player and his family involved here, and that's it.

Stay tuned. (BN)

PURDUE BASKETBALL

Purdue announced most of its non-conference schedule this morning, only a few lower-end games being new news, but the one piece left to fall into place is of course the Big Ten/ACC Challenge, which could come down at any time.

We can tell you that Purdue would love to get Duke, who was just 9-9 in the ACC last season (whereas Purdue was fourth in the Big Ten, a better league). That matchup would require some standings-imbalance, but ESPN's biggest concern is always the caliber of the TV matchup.

The likelihood of the network pairing up Duke with a similar finisher like a Wisconsin or Rutgers in the Big Ten is extremely unlikely, more so this year than ever before. But that might also be the complication in terms of a Purdue-Duke meeting. With this being Mike Krzyzewski's last year, this could set up as a made-for-TV lovefest for K and Tom Izzo.

Watch out for Maryland, though, too, because of the long-time rivalry from the two program's ACC days.

Purdue can't get North Carolina or N.C. State, because they're already on the schedule, and Purdue's played Virginia and Florida State so often the past few years, those wouldn't seem likely either.

Virginia Tech would also seem like a real possibility, albeit one that wouldn't have a whole lot of sex appeal. The Hokies finished In the ACC around where Purdue did in the Big Ten and will be on the road for this series this season. Purdue is due a home game.

Georgia Tech and Clemson are two schools that line up relatively similarly in the standings.

Tech is due a home game though, after it went to Nebraska last season.

The Tigers are due a road game, but those two teams met last season outside of the Challenge and all parties may prefer something different.

We've always thought Syracuse would make a lot of sense for Purdue since the two schools have never met in the Challenge, but the Orange were on the road last season for the event and likely will need a home game this season.

• Jaden Ivey on what he's tried to show people at the USA Basketball try-outs: "I just want to max out every category, whether it's offensively, shooting, passing, defense, rebounding, everything. I just want to show everyone I'm not a one-dimensional player and play both ends of the court."

• Trey Kaufman-Renn on playing on the wing more In college: “I’m going to continue working on shooting until I get to the point that I’m the best shooter on the team. That’s my mindset.”

As for the fact that he's gotten bigger and stronger and seems to playing with more of a physical edge to him ...

“It’s a fine balance, and my trainer and I have talked about this a lot. Being big and strong, but also being mobile so I can defend the 3, or defend the 2 or the 1 on switches, things like that. Just making sure I have that foundational strength and not just bulking up, that’s been important for me.”

• Trevion Williams has worked out for the Timberwolves and Cavaliers. All signs of course point to him returning to Purdue. (BN)

PURDUE BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Jalen Washington's Monday unofficial visit to Purdue may be the Boilermakers' last visit of the month. We don't have any knowledge of Kebba Njie's previously planned official visit having been rescheduled. August would be the next opportunity.

Washington made a visit yesterday to Marquette along with grassroots teammate A.J. Casey.

• This weekend is the second and final June evaluation period, with the big event in Indiana being the Charlie Hughes Shootout, a high school team camp run by the IBCA.

Washington's Gary West Side team will be there, as will Colvin and Heritage Christian; and commits Fletcher Loyer (Homestead) and Braden Smith (Westfield).

No word yet on whether Washington will be playing this weekend. He's been banged up.

We'll have coverage on Saturday and Sunday, which is when all of Purdue's recruits games at the event will be played. (BN)

Please keep in mind our sponsor, JFQ Lending, and look into what they have to offer if you're in the market for a loan.

sjfwgzk8iyvgadh1vhrb

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News