ADVERTISEMENT

Boiler Burner Twitter

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
I have no idea who this guy is but he's thinking Kalen Deboer or Todd Monken.

Deboer would be an incredible hire. Not only would we get him, but most likely Shep as well.

Not sure why Deboer would leave Washington for Purdue though.

I’m surprised when I see Deboer mentioned. Of any of the potential candidates mentioned, he seems most unlikely to leave his current gig. What am I missing?

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I have no idea who this guy is but he's thinking Kalen Deboer or Todd Monken.

Deboer would be an incredible hire. Not only would we get him, but most likely Shep as well.

Not sure why Deboer would leave Washington for Purdue though.
To me the first question that needs answered is boninski wanting to keep the key staff guys on board. If that's the case a coordinator like Shepard makes sense. Especially since he was here not long ago. If not or it's not a deal breaker then I would prefer a hc with a record of success like wake or tulanes coach. No way we get Washington's coach and the more I think about monken the less I would like him vs Shepard who can recruit, has ties to indiana, ties to purdue, recruits, high energy, and would look at purdue as a destination.

To me the first question that needs answered is boninski wanting to keep the key staff guys on board. If that's the case a coordinator like Shepard makes sense. Especially since he was here not long ago. If not or it's not a deal breaker then I would prefer a hc with a record of success like wake or tulanes coach. No way we get Washington's coach and the more I think about monken the less I would like him vs Shepard who can recruit, has ties to indiana, ties to purdue, recruits, high energy, and would look at purdue as a destination.
Bobinksi wants experience. No offense but one year of co-AHC and 7 years of P5 position coaching mostly under a coach with not a special system doesn’t quite get there. It would be different if it was under something like the Shanahan coaching tree. I think a Deboer HC, Shephard OC, and the rest of his staff would be more realistic. Maybe retaining of Hagan since Deboer is the offensive mastermind but he has brought his defensive staff with him the last few stops.

Bobinksi wants experience. No offense but one year of co-AHC and 7 years of P5 position coaching mostly under a coach with not a special system doesn’t quite get there. It would be different if it was under something like the Shanahan coaching tree. I think a Deboer HC, Shephard OC, and the rest of his staff would be more realistic. Maybe retaining of Hagan since Deboer is the offensive mastermind but he has brought his defensive staff with him the last few stops.
10 mill buyout on deboer.

Reactions: pu1985
10 mill buyout on deboer.
Understood. We only get $1m for Brohm. A tough pill to swallow and will require a major donor(s) to step up but we’ve gotten that much from the Rorhmans and Dick Buell so you just don’t know.

We have Big Ten f u money pay it put it on his contract here if someone hires him we get it back. If he wins and stays long term it pays for its self.

Understood. We only get $1m for Brohm. A tough pill to swallow and will require a major donor(s) to step up but we’ve gotten that much from the Rorhmans and Dick Buell so you just don’t know.
That 1M buyout for Brohm was a total fumble by Bobinski. Everyone knew this day was coming and this really puts us at a bind in a lot of ways. Finding extra money to pay the next guys buyout costs time and resources at a point where you’re behind the eight ball.

That 1M buyout for Brohm was a total fumble by Bobinski. Everyone knew this day was coming and this really puts us at a bind in a lot of ways. Finding extra money to pay the next guys buyout costs time and resources at a point where you’re behind the eight ball.
Wasn’t a fumble. Brohm’s agent, Jeff Brohm, insisted on that during the negotiations, for reasons that were obvious to all.

Sigh...another AD genius wannabe on Rivals...

Yes, let's hold a guy hostage who doesn't want to be here. That always works out well...

Purdue had no leverage when that was negotiated
I agree when this happened the first time with Louisville they had zero leverage but his extension was negotiated in early 2022 and would have been an opportunity to renegotiate that buyout. It’s a risk to the business that the AD allowed to continue and has now blown up in their face.

I agree when this happened the first time with Louisville they had zero leverage but his extension was negotiated in early 2022 and would have been an opportunity to renegotiate that buyout. It’s a risk to the business that the AD allowed to continue and has now blown up in their face.

Has it really "blown up in their face"?

First of all, there was nothing that was going to stop Brohm from going to UofL and he would have NEVER agreed to a large buyout.

Secondly, who the F cares that Brohm left? He clearly wanted to be at UofL long term, which is essentially what he said back in June. So why would we want him here? He's replaceable, just like 90%+ of all coaches. IMHO, Purdue is in a much better place and this is an opportunity for them to upgrade.

Exactly right. Brohm wanted to be able to take the Louisville job . He did his job here and between winning and more money flowing into upgrades to RA and the program we are in good shape. Now just make a good hire - more money for assistant coaches - and let’s keep rolling

Once that was there no takesies backsies. Also, we almost had the same thing happen last off-season. This was an inevitability

Reactions: purduepat1969
Still no leverage, after the successful 2021 season, Music City Bowl, plus Satterfield being on the hot seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT