ADVERTISEMENT

Bobski's next move

Time to get a new WBB coach. Kelly Komara? Carolyn Peck? Need someone who can recruit and coach. Sharon's time has passed.
did she have a time? her best record was with Curry's kids. can't believe how hard this program has fallen.

Reactions: NYProf
Steph wasn't coming back. We need to get out of the fan's approach to hoping for coaches (consider that a decent amount of people advocated for Spack for football). I think Steph is great and will do great things at Vandy but I don't think she had (or has) any interest in coming back here. Mbob made a great hire for football (at least I sure hope he did) and I have confidence that he will do so for the women's team, too. That doesn't mean the leading candidates need to have Purdue in a prominent spot on their resume and it may even be better if they don't. Wipe the slate and start fresh. Correspondingly, I do think well of Versyp as a person, compliment her for how she handled significant adversity in some seasons (Mingo's illness as a prime example), and I doubt Geralds would have made the pros without that season under Versyp. But she has proven beyond any doubt that she isn't the person to restore the program to the top of the conference.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Steph wasn't coming back. We need to get out of the fan's approach to hoping for coaches (consider that a decent amount of people advocated for Spack for football). I think Steph is great and will do great things at Vandy but I don't think she had (or has) any interest in coming back here. Mbob made a great hire for football (at least I sure hope he did) and I have confidence that he will do so for the women's team, too. That doesn't mean the leading candidates need to have Purdue in a prominent spot on their resume and it may even be better if they don't. Wipe the slate and start fresh. Correspondingly, I do think well of Versyp as a person, compliment her for how she handled significant adversity in some seasons (Mingo's illness as a prime example), and I doubt Geralds would have made the pros without that season under Versyp. But she has proven beyond any doubt that she isn't the person to restore the program to the top of the conference.

The person who beat her today has done a pretty good job building a program

Having not coached a game at Purdue yet, most everyone I talk with is quite impressed with Bobinski's choice for the new football head coach, including me. Based on that alone, I have some faith if he focuses his efforts on a new Women's BB head coach, we might be equally impressed.

The problem is, is a new Women's BB head coach even on his radar? Brief discussions with Morgan Burke and Mitch Daniels over the past year indicate they are not paying any attention to Women's BB and/or believe CSV's "body of work" is good enough to keep her.

I have given away most of my tickets to WBB the past few years due to it being better for my attitude :)

If you look at her body of work, Versyp has done enough to keep her job if you take the view that being competitive in the BT is good enough and ignore the waning fan base. Only if the new AD decides that WBB should be something that can compete nationally will he go after some coach who might be able to do that. And that is a dangerous decision because there are no guarantees that he can get a coach who can do that. Do you pay gigantic money and try to lure a successful coach away from where they are winning. That could be done but highly unlikely. Any other coach you get would be based on reputation--like a Steph White--and there are no guarantees and you might pay big bucks and stay exactly at or near the same place. Hard to go all in on a non-revenue sport. Most of the WBB BT programs keep their coaches unless they sink to the bottom, like Bollant at Illinois ( who is still there!). My guess is that Coach V will win enough games to keep her job and we will be a Top 7, top half, of the BT most of the time.

If you look at her body of work, Versyp has done enough to keep her job if you take the view that being competitive in the BT is good enough and ignore the waning fan base. Only if the new AD decides that WBB should be something that can compete nationally will he go after some coach who might be able to do that. And that is a dangerous decision because there are no guarantees that he can get a coach who can do that. Do you pay gigantic money and try to lure a successful coach away from where they are winning. That could be done but highly unlikely. Any other coach you get would be based on reputation--like a Steph White--and there are no guarantees and you might pay big bucks and stay exactly at or near the same place. Hard to go all in on a non-revenue sport. Most of the WBB BT programs keep their coaches unless they sink to the bottom, like Bollant at Illinois ( who is still there!). My guess is that Coach V will win enough games to keep her job and we will be a Top 7, top half, of the BT most of the time.

She gets decent recruits but when teams like IUPUI and Southern Illinois start beating you at home you are
Getting to point where you and your coaches are losing your players. They appear to have lost McBryde.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22fanclub
disagree on her performance. It's not like she's been a steady coach. She's gone from 30 wins to missing the tourney and has never won the conference. Not convinced we will stay top 7 with her continuing here.

You may be right, but she has mostly maintained that top 7 position over the years. Since I wrote the above, I read the article about Bobinski's view on the culture and it would appear he will not be content with mediocrity which is what top 7 defines. But whether it is even realistic to try to make a giant change in who coaches is a question in itself. Certainly there will be no moves made on Versyp until this season is over. So it will be interesting to see what he does after that. This is probably important to only a very few, not like football. :)

You may be right, but she has mostly maintained that top 7 position over the years. Since I wrote the above, I read the article about Bobinski's view on the culture and it would appear he will not be content with mediocrity which is what top 7 defines. But whether it is even realistic to try to make a giant change in who coaches is a question in itself. Certainly there will be no moves made on Versyp until this season is over. So it will be interesting to see what he does after that. This is probably important to only a very few, not like football. :)
oh i agree. I know it's not the golden goose, but it is frustrating to see a championship program completely fall apart when there are really no good reasons for it to happen.

If he wants to schedule more games between Purdue and Notre Dame he will quickly find out that games between the two schools, which used to be an annual event, were discontinued several years ago. One reason might have been they were no longer competitive.

Actually there were good reasons for the downfall of this program which for a period of time were hashed to death on this site. Simply, the scandal under Curry that cost us three top recruits undermined the program and it has never recovered. WBB has few real impact players, most of which go to the top programs, the most notable now being Connecticut with their sick record and Notre Dame.(And being in Indiana has sealed off our ability to get the area girls in that category for the most part.) There are a few others that have maintained like Stanford and Maryland and now, more recently, S. Carolina, Louisville as relative newbees, but overall the rich remain rich. Purdue was able to draw on that pool, but the Curry scandal threw us on the sidelines. When Versyp came in she had some of that talent which is why she did better at first. But over time she has been unable to get many of those top players and the results are where the program is now. To change that you would need someone who can get some out of that top pool again and coach them well. That is what would have to happen and I don't think it is likely, but, of course, not impossible. The question is will Bobinski want that and can he get it. Stay tuned.

Reactions: mathboy
Actually there were good reasons for the downfall of this program which for a period of time were hashed to death on this site. Simply, the scandal under Curry that cost us three top recruits undermined the program and it has never recovered. WBB has few real impact players, most of which go to the top programs, the most notable now being Connecticut with their sick record and Notre Dame.(And being in Indiana has sealed off our ability to get the area girls in that category for the most part.) There are a few others that have maintained like Stanford and Maryland and now, more recently, S. Carolina, Louisville as relative newbees, but overall the rich remain rich. Purdue was able to draw on that pool, but the Curry scandal threw us on the sidelines. When Versyp came in she had some of that talent which is why she did better at first. But over time she has been unable to get many of those top players and the results are where the program is now. To change that you would need someone who can get some out of that top pool again and coach them well. That is what would have to happen and I don't think it is likely, but, of course, not impossible. The question is will Bobinski want that and can he get it. Stay tuned.
I can understand the dip after the Merriweather scandal but she had ranked teams after that. The trend just seems downhill. Losing to iupui after finishing 13th and 6th in the conference...oof.

I think you nailed it nicely. My concern gard has to do with the great dip our recruiting took in all 3 sports due to constrained budgets. SV had to experience the same drop/constraints. Like our other sports, now it seems her recruiting is picking up, but she may up against her ceiling. Had we kept our performance & recruiting at the former level, she might have had a chance to tap into that top player/impact player group. However, Purdue's budget crunch may have delivered the kiss of mediocrity to the program.

Yes, Math boy, certainly a consideration. Without a doubt, Tiller saw what the spending limits would do to football and it proved horribly true. And we know that Painter only got what he wanted out of Burke because of the Missouri situation. We will never know if this tightness was primarily from Burke or, more likely,what his bosses made him do, or some combo, but the effects have been really bad, the one exception being that keeping Painter has kept the MBB competitive. Now with the football hire that seems to e changing financially. Too early to tell if it will make a difference. Long way to go on Brohm, just buzz now. Similar to Illinois situation where I live. They threw big bucks at Lovie hoping to get some recruiting turn around etc. Eerily similar to here. In his second year, Lovie is pursuing Jucos hard and is running parallel with us. But the glitter is off and people over here are letting doubt creep in, just like they will if Brohm has a tough first season which is likely. Will be interesting to see how the Purdue/Illinois arms race comes out as well as Indiana now that Wilson is gone. Three peas in a pod.
And some parallels at Illinois with WBB too. Bollant was brought in with an outstanding record from Green Bay and has not produced at all and are far worse off than Purdue. Lots of thoughts that he will be gone at season's end, but the same questions abound: Can a program that is down, farther than us by far, find a coach to truly turn it around? Again, we will see.

I think you nailed it nicely. My concern gard has to do with the great dip our recruiting took in all 3 sports due to constrained budgets. SV had to experience the same drop/constraints. Like our other sports, now it seems her recruiting is picking up, but she may up against her ceiling. Had we kept our performance & recruiting at the former level, she might have had a chance to tap into that top player/impact player group. However, Purdue's budget crunch may have delivered the kiss of mediocrity to the program.

When she was losing out on the likes of Indiana players, shut completely out of once fertile Chicagoland and beaten like a drum
In Ohio which we used to rank right behind the Buckeyes it was not budgetary.

CSV was just extended. Even if you want to buy her out would it be wise to spend that kind of money on a sport that doesn't net any money? Probably a better use of resources to spend that money elsewhere and revisit the situation in another couple of years. Just my opinion anyway.

I think that the contact was structured so that there was not much buyout which I think people were saying when Burke extended her?

It just so happens it was one of our own, Austin Parkinson, who beat us with Indiana players we would never have recruited
This statement nailed it. ...Parkinson coached and won without blue star talent...because a good coach can get the best out of every player and make great players out of mediocre athletes. A good coach inspires, motivates and develops all the players...gives direction not instruction, administers with fairness not favoritism. The fastest way to lose an athlete is to confuse an athlete.

BTW Has anyone else noticed every loss is pinned on player failure when quite simply, too often, she was out coached? Has she ever admitted she was out coached? Ever??

Reactions: destewart
This statement nailed it. ...Parkinson coached and won without blue star talent...because a good coach can get the best out of every player and make great players out of mediocre athletes. A good coach inspires, motivates and develops all the players...gives direction not instruction, administers with fairness not favoritism. The fastest way to lose an athlete is to confuse an athlete.

BTW Has anyone else noticed every loss is pinned on player failure when quite simply, too often, she was out coached? Has she ever admitted she was out coached? Ever??
She has admitted being out coached, but rarely. I think sometimes players do lose or win games through their individual performance. However, almost every game I have seen, the coaching scheme, player development, and game plan have for more affect on the outcome of any game.

I gave up on Versyp last year when she completely ignored one of the best players in the state, Kristen Spolyar from Lebanon, all of 30 mins from campus and averaging 25+ a game. Now starting at Butler as a frosh averaging 15/game in the Big East.
Utter lunacy - Versyp needs to be gone.
Bring Carolyn Peck home.

I have read several articles evaluating Women's BT teams going into the conference schedule. Purdue has not even been mentioned in any of them.

A new coach would not be in as big of hole as our football program, but the "body of work" looks to me like we are headed that way.

I actually like some of our young talent. We just need to keep adding to it, develop it, and coach it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT