ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten top PG's list

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Link: Big Ten top PG list

Seems like a pretty reasonable list, a couple of thoughts:
  • Braden Smith at #6 may end up being low but it's not surprising to me that this is where he's listed. The group in front of him of led by Buie (NU), Hoggard (MSU), Young (MD), Walker (MSU) and Hepburn (WI) are very experienced (three 5th year seniors, a 4th year senior and a junior) and accomplished but seem likely to have less room to make a jump versus last year than Braden does.
  • For the IU fans on this board earlier this year who argued that Xavier Johnson may be the best PG in the country, interesting to note that this has him as the 9th best PG in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
How does MSU have 3 point guards on this list?

Edit: read the list and Young is Jahmir Young for Maryland. I think the list is a little loose with "point guard" but I think it's pretty fair and I would say their isn't much separation 1-7 so just about any order can be argued.

Reactions: northside100
How does MSU have 3 point guards on this list?

Edit: read the list and Young is Jahmir Young for Maryland. I think the list is a little loose with "point guard" but I think it's pretty fair and I would say their isn't much separation 1-7 so just about any order can be argued.
MSU essentially has 3 point guards with Hoggard, Akins and Walker. They’re going to be very good this year and if healthy, should make a deep run in March.

I agree the list is fair too. I’ll be interested to see how Braden guards “on-ball” the rest of these guys listed and see where he stacks up defensively.

• Braden Smith at #6 may end up being low but it's not surprising to me that this is where he's listed. The group in front of him of led by Buie (NU), Hoggard (MSU), Young (MSU), Walker (MSU) and Hepburn (WI) are very experienced (three 5th year seniors, a 4th year senior and a junior) and accomplished but seem likely to have less room to make a jump versus last year than Braden does.
  • For the IU fans on this board earlier this year who argued that Xavier Johnson may be the best PG in the country, interesting to note that this has him as the 9th best PG in the Big Ten.
Haha no doubt IU fans going to be livid with this list

MSU essentially has 3 point guards with Hoggard, Akins and Walker. They’re going to be very good this year and if healthy, should make a deep run in March.

I agree the list is fair too. I’ll be interested to see how Braden guards “on-ball” the rest of these guys listed and see where he stacks up defensively.
Man, I keep posting the same thing, but I just don’t buy the MSU hype. They were profoundly mediocre during the regular season and made a decent run in the NCAA tournament. I could totally be wrong, but I just don’t see it.

• Braden Smith at #6 may end up being low but it's not surprising to me that this is where he's listed. The group in front of him of led by Buie (NU), Hoggard (MSU), Young (MD), Walker (MSU) and Hepburn (WI) are very experienced (three 5th year seniors, a 4th year senior and a junior) and accomplished but seem likely to have less room to make a jump versus last year than Braden does.
Hoggard seems a little high, but if you are going to count Walker as a pg, I think he edges out Young for number 2. After Young, I think it’s a tossup for #4 between Hoggard, Hepburn, and Smith.

Just because you're the size of a typical PG does not make you a PG. Hoggard is the only PG at MSU.
One might make the same argument about Young from Maryland and Heburn from Wisky, both had assist numbers similar to Walker.

The guy making this list is an MSU fan. Enough said I think.
:cool:

Man, I keep posting the same thing, but I just don’t buy the MSU hype. They were profoundly mediocre during the regular season and made a decent run in the NCAA tournament. I could totally be wrong, but I just don’t see it.
Those 3 guards put them in a position better than any team in the B1G, IMO, to do well in march this coming year. They’ve all progressed each year they’ve been at MSU, so I think ppl expect them to stay on an upward trajectory. Add in a top 5 recruiting class headed by a very athletic Booker (damn you Izzo for taking our in state talent!!) and some of their returning front court (nothing amazing but at least have some added experience), I think that’s why people are high on them….and then also izzo

Hoggard seems a little high, but if you are going to count Walker as a pg, I think he edges out Young for number 2. After Young, I think it’s a tossup for #4 between Hoggard, Hepburn, and Smith.
I think of those listed Hepburn is the least talented. I think Smith will have a better year.

The Nebby Kamikaze who almost single handily beat Purdue last season is far and away better than Hepburn, Hoggard, and most of the top this list.

Thanks for laugh.

Those 3 guards put them in a position better than any team in the B1G, IMO, to do well in march this coming year. They’ve all progressed each year they’ve been at MSU, so I think ppl expect them to stay on an upward trajectory. Add in a top 5 recruiting class headed by a very athletic Booker (damn you Izzo for taking our in state talent!!) and some of their returning front court (nothing amazing but at least have some added experience), I think that’s why people are high on them….and then also izzo
I get the rationale and you articulated it well, but in my opinion it’s just lazy analysis by national pundits. There was no upward trend, they were 7-7 in the last 14 games before the NCAA tournament and were 6-11 overall in Quad 1 games.

They beat a mediocre USC team in the NCAAT before an impressive win against Marquette. If you buy that Booker is an immediate impact player, he could make a real difference, but he was not a difference maker in high school or in AAU. Their other five-star recruit seems like he’s going to be buried behind their very experienced back court, I have a hard time seeing him be a real impact player in his first year.

I could be totally wrong and they’re fantastic because the freshmen are great and some older players really step up, I just see that as a stretch.

Last edited:
I get the rationale and you articulated it well, but in my opinion it’s just lazy analysis by national pundits. There was no upward trend, they were 7-7 in the last 14 games before the NCAA tournament and were 6-111 overall in Quad 1 games.

They beat a mediocre USC team in the NCAAT before an impressive win against Marquette. If you buy that Booker is an immediate impact player, he could make a real difference, but he was not a difference maker in high school or in AAU. Their other five-star recruit seems like he’s going to be buried behind their very experienced back court, I have a hard time seeing him be a real impact player in his first year.

I could be totally wrong and they’re fantastic because the freshmen are great and some older players really step up, I just see that as a stretch.
Fair points and I hope you’re right!

The Nebby Kamikaze who almost single handily beat Purdue last season is far and away better than Hepburn, Hoggard, and most of the top this list.

Thanks for laugh.
He's waaay better than Xavier Johnson too, since johnson will probably average at least one tech a game...biggest hothead in the league....

Reactions: Schnelk
I think the list was on a Minnesota site, not MSU
You are right. I thought I saw the same article on a different site as well. Maybe I will look for it. I still think the author is an MSU guy, but that was just my unverified recollection.

No reason for anyone to expect Braden to be ranked higher. True freshman that struggled down the stretch and got dominated physically by some. But that isn't true any more! I think some paybacks are coming up the road. ANd if Lance is a viable backup with stopper D it's going to be interesting.

No reason for anyone to expect Braden to be ranked higher. True freshman that struggled down the stretch and got dominated physically by some. But that isn't true any more! I think some paybacks are coming up the road. ANd if Lance is a viable backup with stopper D it's going to be interesting.
Agree all the way here!

OPINION PIECE by a MINNESOTA 247 football site staffer/writer. Trying to bring Minnesota back from the brink.
  • Two of HIS top 15 B1G point guards are from his Minnesota Team - fraud in Minnesota is rampant.
  • He conveniently left out Baldwin, the point guard and last season's Atlantic 10 player of year. WHy? Maybe because Baldwin he did terrible, I thought he was terrible at it, they have other people that do much better.
  • Also left secnd team All-MAC point guard Coleman whowill start for NEBRASKA.
  • He rated 9the pg player (Johnson) that is current returning B1G ten point guard career total leader in
    • points,
    • steals,
    • assists, and
    • rebounds
LIBERATE MINNESOTA!

Last edited:
OPINION PIECE by a MINNESOTA 247 football site staffer/writer. Trying to bring Minnesota back from the brink.
  • Two of HIS top 15 B1G point guards are from his Minnesota Team - fraud in Minnesota is rampant.
  • He conveniently left out Baldwin, the point guard and last season's Atlantic 10 player of year. WHy? Maybe because Baldwin he did terrible, I thought he was terrible at it, they have other people that do much better.
  • He rated 9the pg player (Johnson) that is current returning B1G ten point guard career total leader in
    • points,
    • steals,
    • assists, and
    • rebounds
LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
Johnson has been high usage for a long period of time. Has never been efficient or a winner. 9th might be high.

• points,
    • steals,
    • assists, and
    • rebounds
LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
Eh Baldwin, like Johnson is at 1.67-1 assist to TOs (avg 5-3 pg) and both shoot and rebound alright.
I’d assume Baldwin coming from a smaller conference def factors in. Avgs 2+ steals a game is intriguing.
Johnson isnt the best decision maker and I can see why he was rated 9th.

Whoever made this list, has no clue or is just partial, as X Johnson , though I am a big hater of his, is at least in top 4.

Whoever made this list, has no clue or is just partial, as X Johnson , though I am a big hater of his, is at least in top 4.
I am amazed the success he has shooting on the perimeter. His shooting pocket is waist high and his thrust is shoulder high. He has to be really quick to get the spacing he needs to shoot the ball since it seems to be easier to get a hand in there enough to change his motion

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT