ADVERTISEMENT

Big Picture considerations - Part 1

JoePurdue

All-American
May 29, 2001
I don’t know if there will be a Part 2 to this post, but it will depend on the responses to this post and my access to a keyboard and time to write a follow up. I am by no means trying to preach or am an expert in these considerations but would like to offer some questions for consideration.

I’ll start with some personal admissions. I am a graduate from Purdue University with a BSME in 1992. My father is also a Purdue graduate and former professor and department head. My entire family, from my father’s side are rabid Purdue fans. My family had season basketball tickets back when we played at the Field House, prior to Mackey Arena. Our family had a large section of season tickets in the lower section by the bench since Mackey opened. We also had a large section for football near the 50 yard line for decades. I have no idea how much my family donated to the John Purdue Club over so many years, but it was significant enough to retain those seats. I personally do not have season tickets to any sport and I do not contribute to the John Purdue Club. My parents discontinued their season tickets around the 2010 timeframe because it no longer made sense for them to travel to so many games.

Now, with those admissions, I’ll offer up some questions for thought.

1) Why am I such an enthusiastic Purdue fan?
2) With consideration to all things important in my life, in regards to my job and all of my kids, is the success of Purdue sports so important?
3) What right do I have calling out student athletes on a public message board (oh, that’s right, now we’re getting to the crux of this post)?
4) What right do I have calling out coaches of our fine institution?
5) What can I reasonably complain about, without making people’s lives miserable, like the people reading this post or Brian Neubert, who is visibly stressed out - and I’m actually really concerned for?
6) What influence do you really think you have?

I have zero influence. I’m not even financially invested.

What is the purpose of this forum other than to support the teams and exchange ideas? I know this was a disappointing year, but we seem to be eating our own at this point. I’m not perfect. I’m sure I’ve been doing much the same. I’m going to stop.

Part 2 will be about real influence and who has the right to complain, if necessary. And that’s not me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News