ADVERTISEMENT

Benaiah Franklin Commits

boiler800

Senior
Jan 26, 2012
Venice, FL
This is one recruit I don't know much about, but I do know our track record of success with Georgia recruits has been impressive. D. Yancey, G. Phillips, Ezechukwu, Akeem Hunt, DJ Knox and now BENAIAH FRANKLIN. Welcome to Purdue Football Mr. Franklin, I wish the best. BOILER UP!

Reactions: Dandelion1972
This is one recruit I don't know much about, but I do know our track record of success with Georgia recruits has been impressive. D. Yancey, G. Phillips, Ezechukwu, Akeem Hunt, DJ Knox and now BENAIAH FRANKLIN. Welcome to Purdue Football Mr. Franklin, I wish the best. BOILER UP!
Ben Franklin? What electrifying news.

Welcome to Purdue. You made a great choice.

I don't mean to be negative and certainly do not mean this personally towards Franklin, but I really don't understand the logic of this forum.

1. We just spent the last week discussing how this is a small class, need to be picky, etc
2. This is a 2 star recruit.
3. This 2 star recruit is committing 8 months before the signing period.
4. A 3 star recruit gets trashed on the basketball forum.

As for previous recruits from Georgia, there are others that haven't done much too.

I just don't get this. Hard to see progress from recruiting so far....and this is the 3rd year..

Ben Franklin? What electrifying news.

Welcome to Purdue. You made a great choice.

post-14251-Eddie-Murphy-I-see-what-you-di-PAQX.jpeg

Reactions: GemstateBoiler
I don't mean to be negative and certainly do not mean this personally towards Franklin, but I really don't understand the logic of this forum.

1. We just spent the last week discussing how this is a small class, need to be picky, etc
2. This is a 2 star recruit.
3. This 2 star recruit is committing 8 months before the signing period.
4. A 3 star recruit gets trashed on the basketball forum.

As for previous recruits from Georgia, there are others that haven't done much too.

I just don't get this. Hard to see progress from recruiting so far....and this is the 3rd year..
You clearly didn't watch the video on this kid, he is blazing fast and has good hands. Do you think these coaches are stupid? or desperate to take the first guy to come along? Watch his highlights before you respond. Purdue has been on him for awhile and they would not accept a commitment from a kid this early if he wasn't a VERY HIGH PRIORITY. I hate to hear all the same old 2 star crap from those who haven't thought through this process or watched his highlights. This is a very fast guy, a complete player. I'll take Franklin even if you won't. BOILER UP!

You clearly didn't watch the video on this kid, he is blazing fast and has good hands. Do you think these coaches are stupid? or desperate to take the first guy to come along? Watch his highlights before you respond. Purdue has been on him for awhile and they would not accept a commitment from a kid this early if he wasn't a VERY HIGH PRIORITY. I hate to hear all the same old 2 star crap from those who haven't thought through this process or watched his highlights. This is a very fast guy, a complete player. I'll take Franklin even if you won't. BOILER UP!
Wide receivers and star ratings rarely align. It's a crap shoot. This kid does look good 2 me. Time will tell. Go Boilers!

I'm not going to get into some argument cause it won't go anywhere. But quite simply, this is literally what people have been saying about our recruits for the last 6-7 years.

Yes, will some 2 stars turn out to be good players? Sure, but the star system is basically a game of chance. A 5 star has a higher chance of being good than a 4 star. A 4 star higher than 3 stars. A 3 star higher than a 2 star. The problem is - the few 2 stars that turn out to be good and the 3 stars who do - have significantly more 2 and 3 star players that turn out to be duds, thus we have no depth.

Glad we got some speed though! Danny Hope's emphasis on southern speed really paid off.

Generally agree Lbod.

Im okay with taking a kid like this here and there as long as its not 30-40% of the class.

Rankings are updated what 2-3 more times for this class. Lets see where he ends up and who else ends up offering before the same ho hum 2* crowd throws him to the wolves. Highlights look solid, not sure the level of Competition he's playing, anyone have insight on it?

Rankings are updated what 2-3 more times for this class. Lets see where he ends up and who else ends up offering before the same ho hum 2* crowd throws him to the wolves. Highlights look solid, not sure the level of Competition he's playing, anyone have insight on it?
Franklin, sounds like a good investment.

He looks pretty good. He catches the ball away from his body and shows some good moves running, but he lacks elite top-end speed. He looks like a 4.5 40 guy. I see him as a slot receiver and punt returner.

Living in GA I actually went to a high school that is in this schools region and they play every year.

The schools in this county usually have 2500-3k total students. This is the highest class in GA and one of the top 2-3 most competitive regions in the state. I would say probably 10 D1 players a year come from the schools in this region (9 total).

It's pretty decent competition. This isn't IN HS football. Haha.

That said, his school is THE state basketball power. They've never had a good football team.

He looks pretty good. He catches the ball away from his body and shows some good moves running, but he lacks elite top-end speed. He looks like a 4.5 40 guy. I see him as a slot receiver and punt returner.
If he is only a 4.5, then the guys he's playing against must be 4.8-4.9. Another post on here says he comes from an area of schools producing 9-10 D-1 players per year, and that these schools have 2500-3000 students. Franklin was absolutely blowing past everybody in his film. It's hard for me to believe that all these big football schools can't produce any player to keep up with our 4.5 recruit. I would like you to tell us all how you judged his speed at 4.5 based on a film in which he blew the doors off everybody...this I've got to hear!

I think the 4.5 guy running past 4.8 or 4.9 guys is a pretty accurate summation. I played baseball and worked out in the fall with our football guys. I ran a 4.92 and was only getting outran by CBs and RBs (again, in the same region this guy plays in).

That said...4.5 is pretty damn fast and I bet he runs a time around there. Wasn't the average time of NFL WRs at the combine over 4.5 this year?

Reactions: Gladeskat
If he is only a 4.5, then the guys he's playing against must be 4.8-4.9. Another post on here says he comes from an area of schools producing 9-10 D-1 players per year, and that these schools have 2500-3000 students. Franklin was absolutely blowing past everybody in his film. It's hard for me to believe that all these big football schools can't produce any player to keep up with our 4.5 recruit. I would like you to tell us all how you judged his speed at 4.5 based on a film in which he blew the doors off everybody...this I've got to hear!
I thought everyone knew that. You take a ruler and put it up to your screen and measure the distance traveled per second versus your screen size. You recalculate it for 40 yards versus the distance traveled by the 10 yard markers you can see on the field. If that doesn't work and you know a traffic cop, take your laptop to him and let him point his radar gun at your screen. Works every time, almost anyway. If that doesn't work, just make it up and put it on twitter. People believe anything on twitter. Oh no, tomorrow is Monday.

I want this guy to pan out and be a stud as much as the next guy, but I'm not impressed by this commit at this time.

Hopefully that will change.

No, I haven't watched the film, but I'm sure all of the clips that are put together for these guys (no matter the ranking) are cherry picked highlights, so you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Lets see how fast he is once he gets on campus.

I want this guy to pan out and be a stud as much as the next guy, but I'm not impressed by this commit at this time.

Hopefully that will change.

No, I haven't watched the film, but I'm sure all of the clips that are put together for these guys (no matter the ranking) are cherry picked highlights, so you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Lets see how fast he is once he gets on campus.

Lol so you're not impressed cause he has two stars. This is what kills me about some of you. When they update the rankings and he's a high three and a bigger school offers and he flips you all are the posters who cry the loudest about yet.

Watch his film

Reactions: boiler800
Lol so you're not impressed cause he has two stars. This is what kills me about some of you. When they update the rankings and he's a high three and a bigger school offers and he flips you all are the posters who cry the loudest about yet.

Watch his film

Look - nobody is saying the guy is garbage. I clearly said there's basically a tier of success rates with recruiting. He can certainly pan out.

But aside from his highlight package, what are you basing your information on? Let's be honest, football in Georgia is pretty well covered, particularly by the recruiting services. What if he doesn't pan out to be a "high three" and big school offers don't come? I haven't once complained about a high school recruit flipping - it happens. Also, it's not like he's committed super early and we discovered a hidden gem.

But last week, there was a consensus on this forum that with a small class, we really have to be selective. Not only that, but we need to also increase our talent level. That's not happening so far this class.

So far, of our class of four recruits, only 2 have an offer from an FBS school. And only 1 has more than 2 offers from FBS schools. That's where I'm concerned.

I agree this kid could pan out and be a great sign. Recruiting has looked better recently, even if it is marginally. Plus, Haz is still pretty new recruiting to Purdue so one cant really judge what his two star hidden gem types are worth.

Its still a reasonable point to me to want to see Purdue getting more highly rated kids with better offer lists

I agree this kid could pan out and be a great sign. Recruiting has looked better recently, even if it is marginally. Plus, Haz is still pretty new recruiting to Purdue so one cant really judge what his two star hidden gem types are worth.

Its still a reasonable point to me to want to see Purdue getting more highly rated kids with better offer lists

On your 2 star point....I'd put a significant amount of money down that Chazmyn Turner turns out to be our best DE since Kerrigan.

On your 2 star point....I'd put a significant amount of money down that Chazmyn Turner turns out to be our best DE since Kerrigan.

Thats 1 of several. 2 stars are fine, but if you base your recruiting around them you are assuming you either have a better eye for talent than anyone else or you are better at developing players than anyone else. Cant say either is true at this point.

Thats 1 of several. 2 stars are fine, but if you base your recruiting around them you are assuming you either have a better eye for talent than anyone else or you are better at developing players than anyone else. Cant say either is true at this point.

This staff has barely had a chance to develop their players....but from what ive seen from guys at several spots...that potential is there for sure.

That said....I fear that the only place the offense is making developmental strides is the OL.

That is why i said at this point

I like what Bridge is doing. Not sure Carter has done much on the DL. Replogle has played really well, but that is it.

That is why i said at this point

I like what Bridge is doing. Not sure Carter has done much on the DL. Replogle has played really well, but that is it.
I think Howard took a step forward early in 2014 and then his progress was slowed by injuries. I think Watson took a huge step forward early in the year as well and think he was hurt as well?

Panfil and Robinson are still early in their careers. Panfil has a Kerrigan esque body...I think hes got a shot at being good for us. With Robinson, I think he's too short for DE...but I think he can have some impact at RE for us and playing LB. That said, I don't know if he's got the speed/lateral movement to really be a great fit at LB for us. I think he was far more impressive than J. Phillips for us last year with far less playing time. I do like the depth we will potentially have at LB...and the starters still have plenty of football to play for us.

Panfil will be a junior. Its now or never. To date, he has trouble getting off blocks. Reminds me of a more traditional 3-4 DE. He can hold the point, but dont expect him to get too much pressure. Im fine with that if you can get pressure from Robinson and Replogle.

Howard always showed flashes, its more about conditioning with him IMO. Same with Watson.

Panfil will be a junior. Its now or never. To date, he has trouble getting off blocks. Reminds me of a more traditional 3-4 DE. He can hold the point, but dont expect him to get too much pressure. Im fine with that if you can get pressure from Robinson and Replogle.

Howard always showed flashes, its more about conditioning with him IMO. Same with Watson.

I agree with what you said minus the now or never part...and I wish as a program we would get away from playing or having to play guys too early. Again, this is where our lack of previous depth has hurt us through the early part of Hazell's tenure. I think you would be shocked by just how many upperclassmen teams like Michigan (still had a top 15 D last year), Ohio St. and Michigan have who are good that get to sit, wait and develop over 3 years and dont even see the field their first 3 in the program. We need to have some good front line depth AND some on the bench being actively developed. Tiller was good at this. Hope and Hazell have not been...and I feel that we will only be successful as a program when we get back to this strategy. Not every recruit needs to be instant impact. Every recruit does need time to develop into a better football player than their initial ranking though for us to be good!

My now or never was in response to your he's young comment.

Agree with your depth comment except for osu. Go look at how many players were sophomores last year. Yikes

Watson specifically mentioned not working very hard/too complacent from early season success.

Same has been strongly implied about Howard, if only that he lacks the discipline to follow through on conditioning/eat less.

Agree we play way too many kids way too early.

Watch his film
Amen Brother! The 2 star crap of some guys, implies that the Coaches are making desperate type moves very early in the process. Make no mistake that our Coaches have a plan, and that plan does not include taking anybody who is not near the top of their priorities list. Anybody who is not impressed by Franklin has not watched his film. PERIOD. BOILER UP FRANKLIN!

How often do you see film that isnt impressive?
Impressive in my eyes are highlights of a kid just blowing everyone away, like this kids film. Everyone puts forward a film of their best plays, but this kids film should be named CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

I saw Ric Enis, Curtis Enis and now Kiante Enis all play, for small schools, against the smallest schools in the state, and blow away the other teams, they all have been offered by major schools, so yeah I think the highlights mean a lot , when a player looks heads above the rest. You don't see a player like that all that often.

Last edited:
Alright, finally took the time to watch those highlights.

I have to say those are some average looking D1 prospect highlights. I mean theres more than acouple where hes just running routes and getting tackled normally.

Could I see him becoming a good Purdue player? Sure

Am I surprised hes a 2 star with no other offers to speak of? No

Im definitely not in love with him.

Reactions: Like_a_Boss
Alright, finally took the time to watch those highlights.

I have to say those are some average looking D1 prospect highlights. I mean theres more than acouple where hes just running routes and getting tackled normally.

Could I see him becoming a good Purdue player? Sure

Am I surprised hes a 2 star with no other offers to speak of? No

Im definitely not in love with him.

Yep he's insanely average. Especially that 4.5 speed and those hands...

FYI he will be promoted to a 3 star after next ranking update. Maybe you'll like him then

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT