ADVERTISEMENT

Banquet Statement

Mar 25, 2014
I didn't attend the banquet last night but WLFI TV reported that "the news of the night came from head coach Sharon Versyp who shared with everyone in attendance that she has been named the ESPN Big 10 Coach of the Year". Would someone please explain why she felt the need to make such a statement. Graham Hays, who writes for ESPNW, stated his choice for Big 10 coach of the year would be Sharon. That doesn't mean she is ESPN Big 10 Coach of the Year as ESPN doesn't have such an award. This isn't any different than if Jimmy Jackson stated on BTN that he thought Matt was the coach of the year or Stephanie White stating on BTN she thought Lisa Bluder was coach of the year. That doesn't make them BTN Big 10 coach of the year. Seems like an arrogant statement to me.

This post was edited on 4/2 1:20 PM by Clipper7

She was pointing out ESPN's recognition in the context of discussing her and her staff, feeling that they did a good job this season, particularly following the injury to KK Houser.

Actually, there was a big article and slideshow on ESPN or USA Today (if SV said ESPN, then it was ESPN) a few weeks ago where they named their choices for the COY from each conference. Geno, Mulkey, Bruno, and SV are the only ones I remember. So yeah, she did get that award. Big Ten COY. Oh, but, sure, it's "arrogant" of a coach to mention any awards--and why is that? If you want to complain, complain to WLFI for waiting until now to mention it.

https://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/slideshow/10550205/6/sharon-versyp-purdue-21-7-11-5

This post was edited on 4/2 2:57 PM by boilerluv

This post was edited on 4/2 2:59 PM by boilerluv

Originally posted by Clipper7:
I didn't attend the banquet last night but WLFI TV reported that "the news of the night came from head coach Sharon Versyp who shared with everyone in attendance that she has been named the ESPN Big 10 Coach of the Year". Would someone please explain why she felt the need to make such a statement. Graham Hays, who writes for ESPNW, stated his choice for Big 10 coach of the year would be Sharon. That doesn't mean she is ESPN Big 10 Coach of the Year as ESPN doesn't have such an award. This isn't any different than if Jimmy Jackson stated on BTN that he thought Matt was the coach of the year or Stephanie White stating on BTN she thought Lisa Bluder was coach of the year. That doesn't make them BTN Big 10 coach of the year. Seems like an arrogant statement to me.

This post was edited on 4/2 1:20 PM by Clipper7
Hmmm... This Clipper's very first post is to complain that our coach got BIG COY, and is proud of it? Seems like a bit of at roll to me.

Who are you Clipper? ...and why do you care?

cool.r191677.gif

Mathboy - this was a topic of discussion among my co-workers yesterday morning and the general consensus was what I wrote above. I decided to post on this forum hoping I would receive some objective comments (as compared to the other forum where it seems most posters are not as objective). I appreciate Kyle's comments on my post but I do not appreciate your response and in my opinion, attempt to bully me as a first time poster.

BTW, I have been a women's basketball season ticket holder for 25+ years and have watched seven coaches on the sideline. All have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't enjoy watching a program that took so long to reach national prominence fall into mediocrity.

Originally posted by boilerluv:
I'm guessing Clipper is not a Purdue fan.
Oh I don't know. I think they appear more as just not a very strong SV fan. When you go on the men's BB board it is somewhat suspicious when you see a first post, especially if the post is questioning something they don't agree with. It can raise your eyebrow. There are so many trolls there that hide their real intentions in posting and they end up being from rival schools. Some are legitimate but many are not. So I understand Mathboy's comments but even regular posters had a first post.

And yet, no apology for your statement that she was arrogant to mention it because "ESPN doesn't have such an award," when it was shown that yes, they do, and yes, she did win it, and after Kyle's comments about why it was appropriate to mention it at the banquet.

I think you'd be comfortable on the other board because there is an SV hater over there, too, along with a couple of posters who think she isn't a very good coach.You'll fit right in, especially with your comment about Purdue's program (that took so long to reach national prominence, as you say--or, as some say, "once proud") "falling into mediocrity." There is a poster on that other board who uses that exact same term: "Falling into mediocrity." BTW, this is not an "attmpt to bully you as a first-time poster." It's more of an attempt to bully you for being ignorant about the awards that the players and coach have been nominated for this season and then to bad moujth them for mentioning the award that YES, THEY RECEIVED. Guessing you didn't go back to your co-workers and tell them something like, 'Hey, guess what, guys--we were wrong about SV making up that business about that award and being arrogant and saying she won it when there was no such award. Turns out there was, and she did win it. Our bad."

I'm done now.

P.S. To board regulars: can you tell I'm in a very bad mood? Suggest no sticks be poked in my cage today.

Mathboy - this was a topic of discussion among my co-workers yesterday morning and the general consensus was what I wrote above. I decided to post on this forum hoping I would receive some objective comments (as compared to the other forum where it seems most posters are not as objective). I appreciate Kyle's comments on my post but I do not appreciate your response and in my opinion, attempt to bully me as a first time poster.

BTW, I have been a women's basketball season ticket holder for 25+ years and have watched seven coaches on the sideline. All have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't enjoy watching a program that took so long to reach national prominence fall into mediocrity.
Fair enough Clipper. In the recent past, we have seen a number of "new posters" open their posting career here with something fairly critical. It always makes me suspicious of people whose first post is negative. With a little push, it is sometimes easy to unmask a troll. I like your response. Thanks for taking the time to push back the right way.

You are certainly welcome to express your opinion here. Please understand that criticism is welcome, and disenting opinions are fairly common. I also post on the other board, and I have been vocal in my defense of the most dark of the critics, Michael. You will find that name calling and threats are uncommon here, but do expect people that will disagree with your postings. DOn't take it personally.

As for the program, none of us like that it is not one of the national power programs. It is still one of the better programs, year in and year out, in the BIG. It just needs to make that break back into national prominance that it once had, before the merry-go-round of coaches. The debate is how to get back there.

The fact that ESPN recognised Versyp as BIG COY is pretty cool, and can help us in recruiting. I have no issue with her being proud of that accomplishment. She is part of the Purdue family and should articulate the good things about the program whenever she gets the chance. I don't think it self-serving in the least.

cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/3 11:32 AM by mathboy

Originally posted by boilerluv:
And yet, no apology for your statement that she was arrogant to mention it because "ESPN doesn't have such an award," when it was shown that yes, they do, and yes, she did win it, and after Kyle's comments about why it was appropriate to mention it at the banquet.

I think you'd be comfortable on the other board because there is an SV hater over there, too, along with a couple of posters who think she isn't a very good coach.You'll fit right in, especially with your comment about Purdue's program (that took so long to reach national prominence, as you say--or, as some say, "once proud") "falling into mediocrity." There is a poster on that other board who uses that exact same term: "Falling into mediocrity." BTW, this is not an "attmpt to bully you as a first-time poster." It's more of an attempt to bully you for being ignorant about the awards that the players and coach have been nominated for this season and then to bad moujth them for mentioning the award that YES, THEY RECEIVED. Guessing you didn't go back to your co-workers and tell them something like, 'Hey, guess what, guys--we were wrong about SV making up that business about that award and being arrogant and saying she won it when there was no such award. Turns out there was, and she did win it. Our bad."

I'm done now.

P.S. To board regulars: can you tell I'm in a very bad mood? Suggest no sticks be poked in my cage today.
I'm sorry. Would you like to talk about it?:):)

Originally posted by mathboy:

Fair enough Clipper. In the recent past, we have seen a number of "new posters" open their posting career here with something fairly critical. It always makes me suspicious of people whose first post is negative. With a little push, it is sometimes easy to unmask a troll. I like your response. Thanks for taking the time to push back the right way.

You are certainly welcome to express your opinion here. Please understand that criticism is welcome, and disenting opinions are fairly common. I also post on the other board, and I have been vocal in my defense of the most dark of the critics, Michael. You will find that name calling and threats are uncommon here, but do expect people that will disagree with your postings. DOn't take it personally.

As for the program, none of us do not like that it is not one of the national power programs. It is still one of the better programs, year in and year out, in the BIG. It just needs to make that break back into national prominance that it once had, before the merry-go-round of coaches. The debate is how to get back there.

The fact that ESPN recognised Versyp as BIG COY is pretty cool, and can help us in recruiting. I have no issue with her being proud of that accomplishment. She is part of the Purdue family and should articulate the good things about the program whenever she gets the chance. I don't think it self-serving in the least.

cool.r191677.gif
You, vocal? What ever gave you that idea....Happy Thursday 2U

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT