ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting April Evaluation Period: Saturday in Indianapolis

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT) — Good evening, my day jockeying between Indianapolis proper, Westfield and Noblesville is complete and here are some quick place-holding notes, thoughts and whatnot from the day ...

fdrgnlvbih3asvxoptdr

JT ROCK IS A PURDUE TARGET
The South Dakota 7-footer visited Purdue on Thursday and seems to have become a priority for the Boilermaker staff.

In the two games I saw today, I saw a kid with a big body who may still be ironing some things out athletically as most young people size must do, but has legit 7-foot-plus, 250-260-pound potential and some real skill to him. He can make threes and looks good doing it. He can dribble and looks good doing it. Where he got in hot water a bit on Saturday was when he shot-hunted jumpers, took overly difficult fallaways or launched off shot fakes. He's obviously very confident in his jumper. Hard to imagine that being an issue that'll follow him to the college level.

Obviously didn't see him play against other comparable big men, so his post touches were relegated to the seal-and-throw-over-the-top variety. There were some turnovers jamming the ball inside to him, but how much responsibility he carried for that is debatable, and at least they were trying to get him the ball. He blocked shots and rebounded well, I though, as he should have been expected to against the team they faced.

He scored 20-plus in both games I saw, but in the second game missed a couple easy ones at the rim during a fast-paced portion of the game that might have winded him.

Only saw most of two games today, but if I had to give you a half-baked superficial comp, I might go with Micah Potter.

Purdue had assistant coaches at both his games today, and Greg McDermott popped into the first game for Creighton and Greg Gard watched the second game, as did an assistant coach from Iowa.

I'll have a story and video on him during the week.

MYLES COLVIN TODAY
Myles Colvin was really good today, I thought, in a morning loss and an evening win, though during the nightcap, he came down hard on his wrist and missed much of the game. He got it wrapped and returned to the game, but they'll have to see how he feels tomorrow. Didn't seem like anything major.

Like how Colvin is shooting the ball right now and using his size and physicality to score through people at times.

These aren't great teams he's playing against and his team has some limitations, but Colvin's playing well. It'll be interesting to see him during those two junior all-star scrimmages, because he'll have really good players with him and against him, and my one frame of reference on him like that was last spring's IBCA clinic, at which he was awesome.

Here's a quick interview from the House That Nijel Pack Built, Lawrence Central.

OTHER STUFF
Assistant coaches Paul Lusk and Brandon Brantley were bouncing around Indy today, while Matt Painter and Terry Johnson were in Orlando. Painter should be back in Indy on Sunday.

• I wanted to see Purdue 2024 prospect Jack Benter play this afternoon, but he twisted his ankle or something and sat out the game I went to. He plays for Braden Smith's dad, Dustin, with Grand Park Premier.

• Purdue's definitely keeping eyes on a bunch of people.

One of them today at Under Armour was Carey Booth, a 2023 big man and the son of former Penn State star and current Denver Nuggets exec Calvin Booth. Another was JP Estrella of Middlesex Magic from the Boston area. Estrella got offered by Notre Dame and Virginia Tech today.

Also, Illinois Wolves 17U 7-plus-footer Conrad Luczynski is the kid who visited Purdue during the season, an anticipated reclassification who could merit a look down the road.

• We told you earlier about 2024 Atlanta area guard Gicarri Harris, who Purdue is recruiting but hasn't offered yet.

I don't know if this is something he really advertises, but he's Glenn Robinson's son.

Florida and Mississippi State are among his offers already.

Reminds me of Ron Harper Jr.

Anyway ... that's what I've got for now. More tomorrow.

• Bagel Fair in Nora can do no wrong.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News