ADVERTISEMENT

Any Pharm reps here?

Depends on what pharmaceuticals you are talking about
Weed Smoking GIF

Depends on what pharmaceuticals you are talking about
One day I was fine. The next day I was a cripple. I went in for a blood test and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Hands looked like stay-puff man. Knees and neck would not move. The doctor put me on prednisone. What is out there besides prednisone and codeine?

If you are not already, see a rheumatologist. They deal specifically with this issue. There are several options for treatment, prednisone being one of them.
That is coming up. I am only 58. Why the hell so fast and hit so hard? We're talking a 24 hour span.

Last edited:
That is coming up. I am only 58. Why the hell so fast and hit so hard? We're talking a 24 hour span.
Goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that goboilers2. As someone who has dealt with an autoimmune disorder for well over a decade, I feel for you. That said, I would be cautious about presuming that pharmaceuticals hold some sort of hope of cure. My experience has been that pharma provides options that help manage symptoms in the near term, but don't really offer any real long-term improvement. Their model unfortunately doesn't attempt to strike at the root of the problem.

Now, here are some things that have been a game-changer for me. You might want to give them a shot or experiment with other stuff to find what works for you:

- Diet modification. This is huge! Reduce or remove any inflammatory foods from your diet, including all refined sugars, simple carbohydrates, and junk food. Try to get more omega-3 fats in your diet. Eat less prepackaged food and more "whole" food. Learn how to cook, eat, and enjoy more vegetables. It comes down to the question, "how much does your health mean to you?" This was one of the most difficult thigs I've ever done, but it has been soooo worth it.

-Herbal remedies: Some herbs, like turmeric, ginger, and green tea, are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties. All of these have worked for me in the past.

- Mild to moderate exercise. This is self explanatory, but don't over do it! Heavy exercise can increase inflammation and adversely affect your immune system if you are already dealing with an AA disorder such as rheumatoid.

- Stress management. Stress management is a biggie. Chronic stress can be a real party pooper for autoimmune symptoms. Simple tricks like deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation can be a game-changer. And hey, if there's stress in your life that's begging to be dropped, maybe it's time to consider giving it the boot – not easy, but worth a shot.

Regarding the original cause of your autoimmune disorder, no one really knows, but generally there is some sort of trigger that causes an abrupt onset. Such triggers can be chemical (have you had any direct contact with any caustic chemicals or concentrated cleaning agents?), viral (any recent bouts with a sickness that was particularly intense?), or stress (any sudden changes in relationship status or job stress?). Also, unfortunately there have been reports of the latest mRNA COVID vaccines potentially causing acute onset of autoimmune disorders. (For those who don't believe me, here is one brief glimpse into that reality: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10108562/ ).

Anyway, sorry for the long message. Hopefully this gives you some much needed hope for your condition.

Reactions: goboilers2
Almost sounds more like an allergic reaction to something. My sister has been dealing with RA for over 30 years, she's on Methotrexate (once a week) hydrachloridiazide HCTZ, Celebrex and Cymbalta. Hope you wouldn't need to get that deep into it, will put you in my prayers.

Reactions: goboilers2
Goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that goboilers2. As someone who has dealt with an autoimmune disorder for well over a decade, I feel for you. That said, I would be cautious about presuming that pharmaceuticals hold some sort of hope of cure. My experience has been that pharma provides options that help manage symptoms in the near term, but don't really offer any real long-term improvement. Their model unfortunately doesn't attempt to strike at the root of the problem.

Now, here are some things that have been a game-changer for me. You might want to give them a shot or experiment with other stuff to find what works for you:

- Diet modification. This is huge! Reduce or remove any inflammatory foods from your diet, including all refined sugars, simple carbohydrates, and junk food. Try to get more omega-3 fats in your diet. Eat less prepackaged food and more "whole" food. Learn how to cook, eat, and enjoy more vegetables. It comes down to the question, "how much does your health mean to you?" This was one of the most difficult thigs I've ever done, but it has been soooo worth it.

-Herbal remedies: Some herbs, like turmeric, ginger, and green tea, are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties. All of these have worked for me in the past.

- Mild to moderate exercise. This is self explanatory, but don't over do it! Heavy exercise can increase inflammation and adversely affect your immune system if you are already dealing with an AA disorder such as rheumatoid.

- Stress management. Stress management is a biggie. Chronic stress can be a real party pooper for autoimmune symptoms. Simple tricks like deep breathing or progressive muscle relaxation can be a game-changer. And hey, if there's stress in your life that's begging to be dropped, maybe it's time to consider giving it the boot – not easy, but worth a shot.

Regarding the original cause of your autoimmune disorder, no one really knows, but generally there is some sort of trigger that causes an abrupt onset. Such triggers can be chemical (have you had any direct contact with any caustic chemicals or concentrated cleaning agents?), viral (any recent bouts with a sickness that was particularly intense?), or stress (any sudden changes in relationship status or job stress?). Also, unfortunately there have been reports of the latest mRNA COVID vaccines potentially causing acute onset of autoimmune disorders. (For those who don't believe me, here is one brief glimpse into that reality: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10108562/ ).

Anyway, sorry for the long message. Hopefully this gives you some much needed hope for your condition.
I appreciate the long and detailed response. I really need to take the stress management section to heart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT