ADVERTISEMENT

Chances we go 10 deep and play some zone today?

Mar 12, 2016
Thinking ahead to our game against UCONN, I'm wondering if we can mix things up a bit. They usually stick to a shorter rotation, so what if we throw them off balance by going deeper and trying out some zone defense? Maybe use everyone on our roster to wear them out (ala VCU in 2011)?

Our guards are smaller, but we've got depth to work with. Why not give Morton, Heide, and Colvin some minutes against their key players like Newon, Castle, and Spencer? And let's not forget about Furst (maybe) and Gillis – they could add some size and depth, especially if we mix in a bit of zone.

Any Chance?

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Thinking ahead to our game against UCONN, I'm wondering if we can mix things up a bit. They usually stick to a shorter rotation, so what if we throw them off balance by going deeper and trying out some zone defense? Maybe use everyone on our roster to wear them out (ala VCU in 2011)?

Our guards are smaller, but we've got depth to work with. Why not give Morton, Heide, and Colvin some minutes against their key players like Newon, Castle, and Spencer? And let's not forget about Furst (maybe) and Gillis – they could add some size and depth, especially if we mix in a bit of zone.

Any Chance?
giphy.gif

I understand the sentiment, but I'm just trying to engage in a speculative discussion on how we are going to match up with their guards. As fans, that's all we can really do, right? Speculate and analyze the matchups.

0% but I’d like to get a few minutes from Heide and may a minute or two without giving up easy buckets from Colvin.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
0% but I’d like to get a few minutes from Heide and may a minute or two without giving up easy buckets from Colvin.
I was thinking maybe a healthy mix of Morton, Heide, Colvin whenever Jones/Braden are out and/or we need to slow someone down.

I was thinking maybe a healthy mix of Morton, Heide, Colvin whenever Jones/Braden are out and/or we need to slow someone down.
Morton is not going to play unless there are fouls to give and no offensive possession. We need the best five offensive players on the court on every single possession.

And maybe the biggest reason this is ridiculous is there is absolutely no time to prepare for anything other than what they have been working on.

some size and depth, especially if we mix in a bit of zone.
Gillis, Heide, Colvin (I think he nails a 3) play, that’s it unless Morton comes in for fouls.
I think Colvin, after getting beaten so badly on his one play against NCS won't see the floor unless a lot of guys are In deep foul trouble. If all he had to do was shoot, that might be different.

UCONN is the one team our defense has to be off the scale to have a legit shot.

I can see Furst and Heide getting time....maybe.

I think Colvin, after getting beaten so badly on his one play against NCS won't see the floor unless a lot of guys are In deep foul trouble. If all he had to do was shoot, that might be different.

UCONN is the one team our defense has to be off the scale to have a legit shot.

I can see Furst and Heide getting time....maybe.
I would hope Colvin at least gets a chance haha.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I understand the sentiment, but I'm just trying to engage in a speculative discussion on how we are going to match up with their guards. As fans, that's all we can really do, right? Speculate and analyze the matchups.
1) Braden is especially long armed and jumps very well. Aside from that he's pesky on the ball handler. He'll be fine.
Fletcher is a solid 6'4" I think. Colvin and Heide will undoubtably get some play, as might Morton. Lance is fine too. A couple of inches isn't that big a deal at this level.

Reactions: clankhan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT