ADVERTISEMENT

Another "old gold" uniform thread!

BoilerMaker P

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 28, 2001
Check out the mannequin in the background of this picture of Coach Hazell and a kid from his skills camp that was retweeted by the Purdue football twitter feed. Are those pants the old gold that so many Purdue fans have been begging for since the "vegas gold" era began or is it just the lighting?

My fiancée laughs that I can't tell colors (she has to tell me if I've picked out a black suit or a blue one), but I just pulled a couple of volumes of the Debris off the shelf to check out the color photos of the football team. The pants the team wore in the mid-70's were even darker than the helmet the mannequin in the photo is wearing.

Check out the mannequin in the background of this picture of Coach Hazell and a kid from his skills camp that was retweeted by the Purdue football twitter feed. Are those pants the old gold that so many Purdue fans have been begging for since the "vegas gold" era began or is it just the lighting?

That's a richer gold than vegas gold, but it is not old gold.

I sincerely doubt we move from vegas gold. There have been so many jersey/uni announcements in the offseason, at least comparatively to previous years, that I have a hard time imagining that going unannounced.

I read into stuff like that too though. There was a picture in the survey of the player lounge that had a painting on the wall with a different font of jersey number I have always thought would look good.

Its just the lighting/exposure of the pic. Nike has decided we are vegas gold and black....so thats what we get from them.

Its just the lighting/exposure of the pic. Nike has decided we are vegas gold and black....so thats what we get from them.
Which makes absolutely no sense since Nike has provided both Missouri and Army Old Gold uniforms recently so the problem must reside with our Athletic Department!

Which makes absolutely no sense since Nike has provided both Missouri and Army Old Gold uniforms recently so the problem must reside with our Athletic Department!

It's pretty basic - Nike has a color palette they use and you get to choose off of those.

Missouri's gold is NOT old gold. It's more of a yellow - it's actually very similar (if not the same) as Minnesota's gold that they use.

usa-today-7877899.0.jpg

Army's gold is not old gold either. Theirs is more of a true gold - and is used in metallic form on their uniforms. Their helmet colors are a little darker, but not their uniforms. The standard parts of their uniforms (stripes, etc.) look very similar to vegas gold..

Army-Buffalo-21493.jpg

So yes, are there other gold options? Sure. Other schools that have gold as one of their primary colors use golds in different ways.

Another example, Vanderbilt's new uniforms last year….looks like vegas gold.

BwKPgKfIgAA06zs.0.0.jpg

ha. Anchor down.

What makes us all so sure that Nike decides all this stuff? I know they dictated we get a new logo, but what do they care about color? Im sure we have a say in it and are run by out of touch old people that just go with the flow.

Obviously we arent alabama or michigan but I see smaller schools than us with better gear regularly.

You need to do a more thorough google search on the Old Gold uniforms both Army and Missouri and one other Nike team wore in 2014. If I was more proficient in linking I would post them for you...they were dead on Old Gold and shined in the sun just like our's did way back when!

ha. Anchor down.

What makes us all so sure that Nike decides all this stuff? I know they dictated we get a new logo, but what do they care about color? Im sure we have a say in it and are run by out of touch old people that just go with the flow.

Obviously we arent alabama or michigan but I see smaller schools than us with better gear regularly.

Nike doesn't dictate the colors, but they go through the branding process and make suggestions. Given what Purdue wanted, it was probably the best color (it also has to do with general apparel availability).

So do they force Purdue to do it? No, but Purdue is probably taking their suggestions.

Reactions: boiler65
You need to do a more thorough google search on the Old Gold uniforms both Army and Missouri and one other Nike team wore in 2014. If I was more proficient in linking I would post them for you...they were dead on Old Gold and shined in the sun just like our's did way back when!

Ok, whether you consider them the same or not, the point is the same still - nobody said a deeper gold was unavailable. Purdue has chosen to go with a lighter gold. There are many schools with gold as a primary color - and there's not 1 shade they all go with.

That is not entirely true or Tiller was fibbing to us when he publicaly claimed that Nike told him that 1) Old Gold was not available and suggested we were Vegas Gold per his wife I recall!

That is not entirely true or Tiller was fibbing to us when he publicaly claimed that Nike told him that 1) Old Gold was not available and suggested we were Vegas Gold per his wife I recall!

I don't get why people are so defensive about this?

1. Joe Tiller did not "run" the athletic department. Purdue Football does not have their own colors, Purdue University does. Bless your heart if you think Arnette Tiller was dictating colors to Purdue. Purdue was wearing a lighter gold prior to Tiller stepping foot on this campus.

2. Color palettes in the 1990s may be different than what they are in 2015.

3. There are a ton of different shades of gold. Look at that google search for old gold football helmets. It's certainly not a uniform shade. Nobody said there is not a deeper gold available - is it "old gold" specifically? Probably not. But it's a deeper gold.

LSU's uniforms were white and purple. Their helmets were a darker gold (I don't think every example you've provided is technically "old gold" and all the exact same shade. Obviously with helmets, the you can do whatever you want - it's basically plastic or paint.

I don't get why people are so defensive about this?

1. Joe Tiller did not "run" the athletic department. Purdue Football does not have their own colors, Purdue University does. Bless your heart if you think Arnette Tiller was dictating colors to Purdue. Purdue was wearing a lighter gold prior to Tiller stepping foot on this campus.

2. Color palettes in the 1990s may be different than what they are in 2015.

3. There are a ton of different shades of gold. Look at that google search for old gold football helmets. It's certainly not a uniform shade. Nobody said there is not a deeper gold available - is it "old gold" specifically? Probably not. But it's a deeper gold.

There were NUMEROUS reports on his wife naming the VEGAS GOLD color in print and on the internet along with Coach Tiller mentioning that OLD GOLD was not available so you must have mis-remembered! As I said it could have been just a fib and he wanted to go to that Vegas Gold but coaches pick what they want be it what Purdue logo and lettering style and that is one of the main reasons we don't have a brand since every team does their own thing! Hell the band still uses the Block P on their uniforms and an Old English style script on the big drum! Color palate numbers in the 60's when OLD GOLD was used by many schools was and is still available we chose to change!

I'll bet the exact palate color number is still the official color of Purdue but no one cares to use it!

LSU's uniforms were white and purple. Their helmets were a darker gold (I don't think every example you've provided is technically "old gold" and all the exact same shade. Obviously with helmets, the you can do whatever you want - it's basically plastic or paint.

Trim color on their uniforms was also a dark as you called it or old gold color and it is probably very close in palate color numbers if not the same!

Purdue has the best uniforms in the Big Ten!

There were NUMEROUS reports on his wife naming the VEGAS GOLD color in print and on the internet along with Coach Tiller mentioning that OLD GOLD was not available so you must have mis-remembered! As I said it could have been just a fib and he wanted to go to that Vegas Gold but coaches pick what they want be it what Purdue logo and lettering style and that is one of the main reasons we don't have a brand since every team does their own thing! Hell the band still uses the Block P on their uniforms and an Old English style script on the big drum! Color palate numbers in the 60's when OLD GOLD was used by many schools was and is still available we chose to change!

I'll bet the exact palate color number is still the official color of Purdue but no one cares to use it!

Please understand that large companies like Nike do not operate like others. Nike has a color palette that they use and teams choose out of that. Nike mass produces items, like t-shirts, so individual schools do not get their own mass produced groups of t-shirts. Nike offers a few different shades of gold and so you'll have multiple schools that use the same gold.

For example, Mizzou's gold is the same exact gold as Georgia Tech, Kent State, Albany, UT-Chattanooga, Loyola Chicago, etc.

Purdue's gold is the same exact gold as Washington, Florida State, Vanderbilt, etc.

Purdue was using a lighter gold in their uniform prior to Tiller arriving on campus. When Purdue transitioned from Champion to Nike, they chose Nike's version of that same gold. Nike called that similar gold "vegas gold" and that's the same gold that Washington, FSU, Vandy, etc. use for their Nike apparel.

Arnette Tiller did not PICK out this gold for Purdue University. She latched onto it when Purdue made that transition. It was absolutely not her decision.

Agree to disagree!

What is there to disagree about?

Nike apparel comes in 2 different color golds. There's the "vegas gold", which is the same gold that Purdue, Florida State, Washington, etc. use and there is what is called "bright gold" which is the gold that Mizzou, Georgia Tech, etc. use. which is a more yellow/mustardy gold. This is the university's branding - they are literally the exact PMS color.

Nike has 2 options of gold for apparel. Vegas gold is not specific to Purdue. Purdue's colors were already closer to vegas gold when they were Champion so when Purdue switched over to Nike, they had to choose a gold options to go with. Purdue chose the gold they were similarly using instead of the more yellow gold.

Nike Vegas Gold: https://www.google.com/#tbm=shop&q=vegas+gold+nike

Nike Bright Gold: https://www.google.com/#q=bright+gold+nike&tbm=shop

This branding is Nike's, a worldwide apparel company, not Arnette Tiller's. Nike only mass producers a certain number of colors for apparel. The vegas gold apparel is the same that they use for Purdue, Washington, FSU. Like I said, Arnette probably loved this gold and really wanted to push it - but she did not choose this color for Purdue University. Purdue had 2 choices and they already were using a nearly identical color to vegas gold with Champion.

An old student of mine who worked for the JPC and then NIKE provided me the info back then regarding the OLD GOLD and it was available then and is available now and that they have way more shades of gold than two! That's were we agree to disagree and according to Tiller his wife coined the term Vegas Gold and not actually picking the color which I or Coach Tiller did not say! As I said he may have been fibbing back then, that I do not know!

An old student of mine who worked for the JPC and then NIKE provided me the info back then regarding the OLD GOLD and it was available then and is available now and that they have way more shades of gold than two! That's were we agree to disagree and according to Tiller his wife coined the term Vegas Gold and not actually picking the color which I or Coach Tiller did not say! As I said he may have been fibbing back then, that I do not know!

We're talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about apparel - try to find an old gold Nike apparel item - Nike makes 2 different gold colors for apparel. Arnette Tiller was concerned with what color people's t-shirts were.

Helmets you can do any shade of any color. Uniforms are more flexible as well. But you're probably not going to do a completely different color on your uniforms than what you'd sell in the stores, just not very logical.

Nike mass produces apparel, they do not mass produce uniforms. But you're not going to be wildly different in those 2 color spectrums and Nike is not going to create your own line with a specific color in apparel.

PS, Purdue's official university colors are different than the athletic/apparel colors (and closer to a deeper gold). This is beyond stupid, yes.

Nike catalog: http://niketeam.nike.com/niketeamsp...umbs/fall_2012/flyers/sideline_exclusives.pdf

I was just in the office this week. They're the same pants they wore last season. It's not a different gold.

We're talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about apparel - try to find an old gold Nike apparel item - Nike makes 2 different gold colors for apparel. Arnette Tiller was concerned with what color people's t-shirts were.

Helmets you can do any shade of any color. Uniforms are more flexible as well. But you're probably not going to do a completely different color on your uniforms than what you'd sell in the stores, just not very logical.

Nike mass produces apparel, they do not mass produce uniforms. But you're not going to be wildly different in those 2 color spectrums and Nike is not going to create your own line with a specific color in apparel.

PS, Purdue's official university colors are different than the athletic/apparel colors (and closer to a deeper gold). This is beyond stupid, yes.

Nike catalog: http://niketeam.nike.com/niketeamsp...umbs/fall_2012/flyers/sideline_exclusives.pdf
SInce this is a UNIFORM thread and not an apparel thread......insert Forest Gump quote here!

That jersey is old (check out the train)...my guess is it's lighting. Purdue is not up for a full redesign for another year or two. Sadly, Vegas gold is here for the near future.

Vegas gold is a Nike made color. Not a Purdue made color.

Purdue uses it because it visually looks better than that Pee gold in the other example. I don't get why that's so hard to understand. Maybe it was Arnette Tiller that picked it out but it was and still is what Nike calls the color.

I say we focus on things that we can control. Only the illuminati can create a feasible old gold, so let's scrap that discussion. We need to make a helmet with the train emblem that shoots smoke out the stack whenever we get a big play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT