ADVERTISEMENT

A takeaway from the last 2 weeks

Toast.

All-American
May 10, 2011
Denver
After the last two weeks, one thing looks clear to me: Defenses are going to keep with this Minnesota and Maryland strategy of two high safeties, keeping things in front, a lot of bracket type stuff with Jones, and a goal of limiting chunk plays / deep ball opportunities.

IMO Brohm and O’Connell need to understand that and start to embrace the short, quick hitters. Continue to pick on LBs by hitting the RBs in the flats and using Durham (and Piferi) consistently. Get the slot more involved. Take the short, quick hitters on the edges for 5. Use the running game and play off of it.

We don’t have to get big chunk plays to score - we have an accurate QB, an emerging running game, and some solid weapons that can help us sustain drives. But AOC needs to embrace it by getting it out quick, not takings sacks, and not forcing it up field. And Brohm needs to have a more cohesive gameplan that strings together consistent positive yards as opposed to looking for big chunks.

I don’t want Brohm to forget the big play — it’s a big part of our identity. I just think that it’s gonna be a grind against some of these teams like iowa, Wisconsin, and illinois and that those chunk plays will be hard to generate in those games. And I think the underneath stuff will inherently start to open up the deep ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News