ADVERTISEMENT

#5 Seed in BTT

Boilerbrewer

True Freshman
Aug 20, 2008
As of today, we would be the #5 seed and Iowa would be #4 based on its win over Maryland. The head-to-head matchup apparently doesn't enter into it since there are four teams with 11-6 records, and other tiebreakers take precedence. So, if all four teams win again this weekend, we'd be playing on Thursday.

Oddly enough, if aO$U loses to Wisconsin this weekend (and the other three teams win out), Purdue would jump over Iowa for the #4 seed.

If aO$U and M$U both lose (assuming we beat Illinois), we'd get the #3 seed.

Reactions: Grover
The tie-breakers are a bit of a head scratcher IMO. Looking at the multiple teams tie-breaker (see link) MSU would win this year because they have the best head-to-head record of the tied teams. However, once they are determined to be the best of the tied teams (4 in this case), the tie breaker reverts to the remaining teams record against the top of the conference standings and working your way down the standings. It does not isolate the head-to-head among the remaining tied teams which makes no sense to me. I would think the remaining tied teams (3 in this case) would once again use the head to head tie breaker instead of reverting to their records against the top of the standings teams.

Anyway, whatever, we just need to win.

Tie Breakers

Originally posted by TheCainer:
The tie-breakers are a bit of a head scratcher IMO. Looking at the multiple teams tie-breaker (see link) MSU would win this year because they have the best head-to-head record of the tied teams. However, once they are determined to be the best of the tied teams (4 in this case), the tie breaker reverts to the remaining teams record against the top of the conference standings and working your way down the standings. It does not isolate the head-to-head among the remaining tied teams which makes no sense to me. I would think the remaining tied teams (3 in this case) would once again use the head to head tie breaker instead of reverting to their records against the top of the standings teams.

Anyway, whatever, we just need to win.
It's difficult, but one reason I could see for sticking with this unorthodox tiebreaker is because of the unbalanced schedule. It's not even close to a round-robin anymore.

Agree though, Boilers just need to play hard and play well....and beat Illinois. If it's the #5 seed, so be it....then just line up and play whomever you get next.

Iowa and OSU still have to win. If we beat the Illini and either one of them slips, we are the four seed.

I stole this from the KHC board and need to give the guy credit who put it out there. Here is the breakdown this weekend and I like our chances of staying the 4 seed.

You are indeed correct. Right now there are four teams tied for third place with 11-6 records. If all four win (MSU @ IU, OSU @ Wisky, Iowa at home against NW, and Purdue at home against Illinois), MSU would be #3, Iowa #4, Purdue #5, and OSU #6.

But, if OSU loses at Wisconsin, the tiebreakers for the remaining three 12-6 teams change and we'd jump Iowa for the #4 seed.

If IU beats MSU and OSU loses, we'd jump to #3 with Iowa at #4.

But, if OSU wins and MSU loses, we'd be back to a #4 seed with Iowa at #3.

So, we need to win and have OSU or MSU (or both) lose to get a double-bye.

This post was edited on 3/6 11:48 AM by Heller

Is there a "likely" opponent for the #5 seed? Or is that a mess?

Originally posted by lbodel:
Is there a "likely" opponent for the #5 seed? Or is that a mess?
Dang, I was wishing for IU and NW to win today. Should have known better LOL. Oh well....let's whip some Illini butt!!

Yes, who would the likely team be that Purdue would play in the first round as a 5 seed?

I think I'd rather be the 5 seed, as long as we can avoid a bad loss.

It gets us an extra win and then we're in the same spot anyway (playing iowa)

And then I would absolutely love a shot at wisconsin. No downside there in my opinion.

But that's winning 2 games in the BTT, which shouldn't ever be taken for granted given Purdue's history in the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT