ADVERTISEMENT

2025 EJ Walker Committing Friday!

We just need to get used to this new era of college hoops. It's not "oversigned" until you actually get to the final date of school starting. There will be plenty of movement between now and 2025. PU was very "quiet" this year, with very little movement. I wouldn't plan on that being the case most years. Just a different landscape now.

Sign as many talented guys as you can, it will sort itself out each year.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Guessing Purdue will take in 3 guys, they’ll be attrition sooner or later. I see no way that all of TKR/Jacobsen/Burgess/Berg return year after next. That’s not counting Catchings and the glut of players that are returning at the 2-3. Going to be a time where numbers dictate a few players moving on.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Guessing Purdue will take in 3 guys, they’ll be attrition sooner or later. I see no way that all of TKR/Jacobsen/Burgess/Berg return year after next. That’s not counting Catchings and the glut of players that are returning at the 2-3. Going to be a time where numbers dictate a few players moving on.
I’d say all will be back. Burgers will red shirt this year and it’ll all be good

Wouldn't make sense for Purdue to take him if they are prioritizing Sisley IMO. Wait for him or fill in open Scholls with plug and play transfer on a likely title contender in 25-26.

We have been on him for a long time. If we can land him, it will be great for the program. Kid has a lot of Myles Colvin/Cam Heide in his game. He comes from a great HS program and is a coach's kid. I don't know how many games I have watched but quite a few always the same thing he's the hardest worker on the court. I like our chances here. But who knows 4 Quality programs remain from a wide variety of offers. I love this kids' family and their values which he reflects.

thought he was a 4 star earlier
Guess it depends on who you believe/follow. 247 says 3 star but a Wisconsin badger blog says he’s a 4 star 😂. 🤷‍♂️ if doesn’t seem to matter…paint has shown he’s got a good eye for talent and his system and getting the most outta kids

I’d say all will be back. Burgers will red shirt this year and it’ll all be good
I agree about the redshirt, I doubt all of Berg/TKR/Jacobsen/ Burgess/ Catchings return, someone maybe 2 will leave, just a guess though, I have no clue.

I agree about the redshirt, I doubt all of Berg/TKR/Jacobsen/ Burgess/ Catchings return, someone maybe 2 will leave, just a guess though, I have no clue.
Burgess = RS, so not sure why he’d leave after that and we were all over him even after he was injured in high school, so I feel that probably factors into some loyalty.

TKR will be a 3 yr starter on a potential national championship contending team next year and he has been loyal to Purdue since day 1 and Purdue has been loyal to him so I can’t see him leaving.

Jacobsen re-classed to get to the nba faster and came to big Man U to get developed by the best so I think he will be back for at least 1 more.

Catchings MAY be gone, depending on his season this coming year and how high he is guaranteed to get drafted but selfishly I hope we get 2 years outta him.

and Berg…I could see him leaving but thought that he may have done that this year and he didn’t. I’m not sure how many mins he will get tbh.

But then again $$$$$ talks. But painter usually recruits a certain type of player and that player usually doesn’t chase 💰

Is this guy actually better than Sisley, Harrison or Mullins? Why would we get his commitment first?

Is this guy actually better than Sisley, Harrison or Mullins? Why would we get his commitment first?
Haralson******

And according to the rankings no. But we all know those don’t mean 💩 so who knows. If painter is recruiting him, he more than likely is a good fit for the program and can play at this level.

Reactions: Do Dah Day and BBG
Haralson******

And according to the rankings no. But we all know those don’t mean 💩 so who knows. If painter is recruiting him, he more than likely is a good fit for the program and can play at this level.
I typed haralson spellchecker typed harason.

Actually when a player commits to Purdue and the rating service says he’s a 5 star, everybody believes the rating service is accurate. But when he goes elsewhere, the rating services are called clueless and he obviously wasn’t that great.

My thoughts are if you have a limited number of scholarships to give, you don’t give out your first scholarship to the 4th guy on your list. You tell the 4th guy to wait.

This would surprise me if Walker was the first guy to receive a scholarship over the other targets.

Actually when a player commits to Purdue and the rating service says he’s a 5 star, everybody believes the rating service is accurate. But when he goes elsewhere, the rating services are called clueless and he obviously wasn’t that great.
Do you believe the ratings for Smith and Edey were correct?

Reactions: POTFHBTFU

My thoughts are if you have a limited number of scholarships to give, you don’t give out your first scholarship to the 4th guy on your list. You tell the 4th guy to wait.

This would surprise me if Walker was the first guy to receive a scholarship over the other targets.
I think that has happened zero times lol.
Who said he was 4th guy? And the guy has waited, it’s late in the game to get an offer. When we took Ivey folks were upset we gave it to him over others. Paint probably knows a lot more than we know on whether the other guys you assume are 1-3 are actually coming here or how many schollies he is counting on being available for 2025.

Just heard UNC offered him. Paints a fool!

• Haha
And hence why you are not now, nor ever will be a coach. I'm going to go ahead and trust the coach that just developed a low ranking player in to a 2 time NPOY mmmkay?

He was definitely offered before Sisley and Mullins. And you are calling him 4th I would not. I definitely feel like he fits the Vince Edwards roll perfectly for which he is being recruited. Painter recruits' players who fit the system always has and always will IMO. This kid could play the superstar role he chooses to play the team game.

In 2020 I think Ivey was purdues “10th choice” based on ratings and message board but eventually paint said when he was allowed to talk about it he was always his top choice with Morton. Many here were critical why we took a 215+/- ranked player instead of telling him to wait for Trey Galloway and Kerwin Walton. Some accused paint of giving up on LJ Cryer and even Caleb Love. Trust in Paint.

In 2020 I think Ivey was purdues “10th choice” based on ratings and message board but eventually paint said when he was allowed to talk about it he was always his top choice with Morton. Many here were critical why we took a 215+/- ranked player instead of telling him to wait for Trey Galloway and Kerwin Walton. Some accused paint of giving up on LJ Cryer and even Caleb Love. Trust in Paint.
And cryer is still In college with his Covid year with really no nba in the horizon…maybe an 2nd rd draft pick or UDFA and Ivey stayed only 2 years and was a top 5 lotto pick. Glad we offered that 10th guy

And just like that, another legend was born :)

A new Burgermeister!

t1.jpg

Do you believe the ratings for Smith and Edey were correct?
Actually yes I do when the ratings were given. Smith has had issues guarding taller, more athletic guards. He will probably not do well in the nba but was the perfect fit to run painter’s offense and feed Edey. If you put Smith on a different run and gun type of team, he probably would not be as good. And Purdue posters tend to believe their players are a lot better than they are. Basically he has excelled at Purdue. But he was definitely not a one and done type player and isn’t about to leave early so his ranking was pretty accurate.

As for Edey, he was not great in high school. He came to big Man U where painter takes big men and develops them. In hs, he was probably as talented as haas. In high school he was nowhere near the talent level of Swanigan, or for that matter Dickinson. So Edey’s 3 star rating out of high school was probably justified. Again, if Edey played for a run and gun team, would he be as good as he was? Look at Canada’s team last Summer. Edey was coming off a player of the year award, and the Canadian coach didn’t even want to play him because his game and style did not match what the Canadian coach wanted to do. If Edey were more athletic and had a 5 star rating, surely he would have started or at least played for last year’s Canadian team. But the reality is he didn’t. He warmed their bench. And no, he wasn’t injured. So yes, his 3 star rating was justified. He’s just another player who excelled in Painter’s system.

• Haha
Reactions: BBG
I for one would be happy with a Walker commitment. Good student, rumor of great work ethic, coaches son, well rounded player, versatile… Wisconsin sites buzzing about him and South Carolina has made a big push down the stretch since Lamont Paris became the coach and evidently it has made an impression…. E.J., you’d look great in 🖤💛🏀

Actually yes I do when the ratings were given. Smith has had issues guarding taller, more athletic guards. He will probably not do well in the nba but was the perfect fit to run painter’s offense and feed Edey. If you put Smith on a different run and gun type of team, he probably would not be as good. And Purdue posters tend to believe their players are a lot better than they are. Basically he has excelled at Purdue. But he was definitely not a one and done type player and isn’t about to leave early so his ranking was pretty accurate.

As for Edey, he was not great in high school. He came to big Man U where painter takes big men and develops them. In hs, he was probably as talented as haas. In high school he was nowhere near the talent level of Swanigan, or for that matter Dickinson. So Edey’s 3 star rating out of high school was probably justified. Again, if Edey played for a run and gun team, would he be as good as he was? Look at Canada’s team last Summer. Edey was coming off a player of the year award, and the Canadian coach didn’t even want to play him because his game and style did not match what the Canadian coach wanted to do. If Edey were more athletic and had a 5 star rating, surely he would have started or at least played for last year’s Canadian team. But the reality is he didn’t. He warmed their bench. And no, he wasn’t injured. So yes, his 3 star rating was justified. He’s just another player who excelled in Painter’s system.
Oh Wole, I think you’re confusing yourself with your comments.

• Haha
And hence why you are not now, nor ever will be a coach. I'm going to go ahead and trust the coach that just developed a low ranking player in to a 2 time NPOY mmmkay?
I never admitted to be athletic or a coach! I give my money to st Jude’s and not nil! I was a computer nerd and teacher. I’m a think tank person who looks at all possibilities and evaluates them.

This is a good example for people who are not athletes or coaches. It appears Painter has offered 4 different players a scholarship and is trying hard to get them to commit. Doing the math. We are one over our scholarship limit for 2024 and we currently stand at 0 for 2025. Yet , you posters really have confidence Painter is going to find a way to be able to sign 1-3 of these 4 players. This is where people like myself excel.

Look at our current team! I know you love players that can shoot the three. But neither Loyer or smith is leaving early. And we already have Harris, Myles, cox and Bender. Does Purdue really need another shooting guard? I would say that would be our lowest recruiting priority.

Purdue is adding Catchings. At the pro level, he will be more of a 3 than a 4. So where should he play in college? If he’s going to be a one and done, I say he would play the 3. If he plays the 4, I doubt he becomes a one and done. And what does that mean? It means you won’t be able to use his scholarship to add anybody in 2025. And if Catchings stays for 2 years, he may stay for 3. So where does Sisley play? And please don’t tell me s guy like Sisley is going to come to Purdue and be happy and redshirt his first year. Do you really believe players who are top 50 in high school go to colleges to red shirt?

Is Walker more talented than Sisley, Harralson or Mullins? I don’t know. But out of the 4, which player is the best fit for Purdue? And if Walker is the first to commit and we have 0 scholarships to offer to begin with, how will that impact the decisions of the other players? My thought without regards to actual talent level is if one shooting guard commits, the other two will go elsewhere. So ask yourself if you can only have one guard, which of the three you want.

But then again, let’s go back to math. You have 0 scholarships currently to offer. If you can find a way to free up 1 scholarship, Of the 4 players, who would be your top priority? Based on Purdue’s current roster and nobody leaving early, the top priority in my opinion is Sisley. To me, he actually fills a need.

Now if Myles and Harris both decide to leave because Loyer decided to stay, then your priority would change.

I don’t coach. I’m a number cruncher. I’m also the guy that pointed to Furst as being the guy who might free up the current scholarship dilemma. And my thought process wasn’t based on his talent or knowing anything about basketball. It was based on knowing what his academic situation was and number crunching.

Sometimes to make things work, you need project managers and number crunchers rather than a bunch of coaches and athletes . Rather than just giving athletes Nil money to play for you, you also need number crunchers. Who will tell you how much money we can spend. I have no doubt Pack was a very talented guard. But the reality is Purdue could not afford to pay him the money he was seeking. The same was true for the guard who left UW for Kansas.

In order to be a successful team, you need more than just players and coaches. You need people like me that will not be afraid to tell you, sorry, we must also deal with reality.

So you guys keep talking basketball and I’ll keep talking reality. It would not be wise to add Walker if that meant Sisley would not be able to join us. And as I said, if several of our current guards got upset about their role and playing time, that would present a different recruiting scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT