ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

Oklahoma has had more than Trae Young. Blake Griffin ring a bell as a two year player that led them to an Elite 8? Buddy Held sound familiar? And they've made it further in the tournament than Purdue has in the last 50 years, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Same deal at Memphis. Runner up in 2008. Derrick Rose ring a bell as a 1 year player? Penny Hardaway has been there what, 2 years?

Players go where they get developed into NBA draftees, or where they can display they're an NBA first rounder. You can argue all you want, but that's what matters. And Painter is a fantastic coach, and I wouldn't trade him. But he's not shown he can develop players into high level draft picks. Yes, Swanigan was a first rounder, but he had physical limitations as an NBA pick. Carl Landry has probably been the most successful NBA player that Painter has coached and he was recruited by Keady as a junior college transfer. Moore was the second most successful NBA player and no one outside of Purdue knows who he is. Carsen is great, and if he has success in the NBA, he'll be a great selling point for Painter.
If you get a 5 star player and he goes to the NBA after 1 or 2 years that's not on the Coach he recruited A player that was going to the NBA And it didn't matter what college He chose to go to he was still going to the NBA. I get tired of these big programs that get these 5 star kids in the coach gets all the credit for making them NBA players. Developing a player into NBA material Would be taking a 3 star player and making him an NBA player That's development.

Reading between the lines sounds like he is most comfortable at IU, but intrigued more by NBA development and chance at national title at UVA and UNC. Doesn't sound real convincing for Purdue, unless the Hummel/Edwards success comp resonates and he doesn't want to leave the state.

I think UVA and Bennett are the real dark horse here. They have momentum from recent NC and can point to Deandre Hunter as NBA example on how they will use him in their system. Comes down to relationships vs the best program. Will be interesting to see if Archie can close this one out vs Tony or not. I really think Kaufman is the linch pin to Archie sticking around and having success or fizzling out at IU. Time will tell.

Reading between the lines sounds like he is most comfortable at IU, but intrigued more by NBA development and chance at national title at UVA and UNC. Doesn't sound real convincing for Purdue, unless the Hummel/Edwards success comp resonates and he doesn't want to leave the state.

I think UVA and Bennett are the real dark horse here. They have momentum from recent NC and can point to Deandre Hunter as NBA example on how they will use him in their system. Comes down to relationships vs the best program. Will be interesting to see if Archie can close this one out vs Tony or not. I really think Kaufman is the linch pin to Archie sticking around and having success or fizzling out at IU. Time will tell.
My Opinion everything I read says the kid is not for sure either way. I don't think hes a Lean to any school at this time

There’s speculation now that we have backed away from Wesley.
Where are you hearing this speculation? It seems really odd to back off a prospect when we really only have 3 scholarships left out for 2021. Especially with Painter already stating he would take 3 in this class with the uncertainty of the change in transfer rules.

Where are you hearing this speculation? It seems really odd to back off a prospect when we really only have 3 scholarships left out for 2021. Especially with Painter already stating he would take 3 in this class with the uncertainty of the change in transfer rules.
This is correct. Most schools have cooled on Wesley, and I believe it was reported by 247 that neither IU or Purdue were in contact with him anymore.

Guard isn't really a need for us at this point since we have 6 guards on the roster currently, but none are seniors. I get the sense we will only sign a guard if it's a player like Ingram.

With the NCAA further suspending the recruiting dead period until the end of the year does that help us with Trey Kaufman. He has said many times he wants to wait for visits, and that it would be hard to commit to a school without meeting coaches/players, but as they continue to push it back further it seems more likely that kids will just start making choices.

With the NCAA further suspending the recruiting dead period until the end of the year does that help us with Trey Kaufman. He has said many times he wants to wait for visits, and that it would be hard to commit to a school without meeting coaches/players, but as they continue to push it back further it seems more likely that kids will just start making choices.
It certainly doesn't hurt us, but 247 is reporting IU and Virginia are out in front with Purdue and UNC slightly behind. He took a trip to UNC and Virginia a few weekends ago just to get familiar with their campuses.

Both IU and PU have backed away from Wesley. If he goes to school in Indiana it will be ND. But more out of state suitors are getting involved, like Texas and Maryland. There's enough talk of baggage that I'm pretty sure neither Archie nor Painter would currently accept a commitment...

Sorry PP98- I responded to the earlier post without seeing your comments.

It certainly doesn't hurt us, but 247 is reporting IU and Virginia are out in front with Purdue and UNC slightly behind. He took a trip to UNC and Virginia a few weekends ago just to get familiar with their campuses.

The trip to VA and UNC was going to happen at some point, but he didn't meet with anyone connected to basketball at either school. That was pretty much a positive for both IU and PU, as well as the fact that it also makes it possible for him to now make a fall decision.

He has now visited the campuses of each of his top 5 contenders. The reality was that he was determined to visit both VA and UNC BEFORE making a decision, so having that out of the way is basically good news for people hoping for a fall decision...

2021 Recruiting class (so far): Caleb Furst and Trey Kaufman! Best forward combo since Robbie Hummel (an all time great) and Scott Martin (what could have been). Who is next? Blake Wesley has us in the top 6.

2021 Recruiting class (so far): Caleb Furst and Trey Kaufman! Best forward combo since Robbie Hummel (an all time great) and Scott Martin (what could have been). Who is next? Blake Wesley has us in the top 6.
Are we still recruiting Wesley? I’d seen chatter that we had cooled on him.

Reminiscent of another Boilermaker duo with the Ft. Wayne - Southern Indiana connection......Walter Jordan (Ft. Wayne Northrup) and Wayne Walls (Jeffersonville).

Wow, same parts of the state too. I forgot Walls was from Jeffersonville.

I recall watching their match-up in the IHSAA State Final in '74....(was played in Bloomington) on our old B & W Zenith broadcast from Evansville. The rest of the family wanted to watch something else, as I was the only one heavily interested in sports at the time. Got to eat a tuna fish sandwich and some Charles Chips up in my room (shared with three brothers), which was a treat and an exception to the "rules." Ahhhh, the good ol days......

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
Are we still recruiting Wesley? I’d seen chatter that we had cooled on him.

I was surprised to see us on the list. Is Brantley the lead recruiter there? We are doing a great job in state. The Carsen impact was huge. He would be similar to Harrison Ingram as a wing type. I saw where Maryland made him a priority now. I can also see him going to ND or X since they are closer to his home.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I was surprised to see us on the list. Is Brantley the lead recruiter there? We are doing a great job in state. The Carsen impact was huge. He would be similar to Harrison Ingram as a wing type. I saw where Maryland made him a priority now. I can also see him going to ND or X since they are closer to his home.

Brandon Brantley's been the main contact from Purdue's side.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
I recall watching their match-up in the IHSAA State Final in '74....(was played in Bloomington) on our old B & W Zenith broadcast from Evansville. The rest of the family wanted to watch something else, as I was the only one heavily interested in sports at the time. Got to eat a tuna fish sandwich and some Charles Chips up in my room (shared with three brothers), which was a treat and an exception to the "rules." Ahhhh, the good ol days......

I had to look up Charles Chips, ha. I don’t remember those in the southern part of the state. I remember seeing that game on YouTube. Strange that the championship was in Bloomington.

I had to look up Charles Chips, ha. I don’t remember those in the southern part of the state. I remember seeing that game on YouTube. Strange that the championship was in Bloomington.

Our grandparents had brought them from Cleveland....the coveted BBQ-flavored!

s-l300.jpg

This video is hilarious. I recall when it dropped, the IU fans were clamoring about how good they would be with him, after seeing him school their two bigs. Now of course, they are talking about how he chose Purdue because he didn’t want to play backup to Race Thompson.

Good times.
CONFABULATION
While this condition may at first sound like lying, confabulation only occurs when you have a condition that affects your memory. This is why confabulation is often described as “honestly lying.”
Someone with confabulation has memory loss that affects their higher reasoning. They subconsciously create stories as a way to conceal their memory loss. They aren’t aware that they aren’t telling the truth. They don’t have any doubt about the things they are saying, even if those around them know the story is untrue.
Sometimes a person with confabulation will only make up small stories to fill gaps in their memory. Doctors call these “confabulations of embarrassment.” Others may tell elaborate stories, which is known as “fantastic confabulation.”

CONFABULATION
While this condition may at first sound like lying, confabulation only occurs when you have a condition that affects your memory. This is why confabulation is often described as “honestly lying.”
Someone with confabulation has memory loss that affects their higher reasoning. They subconsciously create stories as a way to conceal their memory loss. They aren’t aware that they aren’t telling the truth. They don’t have any doubt about the things they are saying, even if those around them know the story is untrue.
Sometimes a person with confabulation will only make up small stories to fill gaps in their memory. Doctors call these “confabulations of embarrassment.” Others may tell elaborate stories, which is known as “fantastic confabulation.”

Numerous examples of "fantastic confabulation" are to be found at Peegs, of course.

Reactions: Purdue85
I don’t think Race is going to be all that much better this year than he was last year. He was a 4 point, 4 rebound guy playing 28-30 minutes a game. Not a player who you would say, “he going to carry the team” about. TJD is the one player who is a genuine star On IU’s team.

Last year I didn’t watch many IU games, so I base many of my impressions on a very narrow sample, just the IU-Purdue series. In those games TJD was not able to control Williams and Haarms. In fact, it was pretty much a draw Statistically, If I recall correctly. However down the ending stretch in both games TJD faded away and was nowhere to be found on the court. That might be more a result of Painter’s defensive strategy and Miller’s poor offensive strategy, than any tiring of TJD.

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder
I don’t think Race is going to be all that much better this year than he was last year. He was a 4 point, 4 rebound guy playing 28-30 minutes a game. Not a player who you would say, “he going to carry the team” about. TJD is the one player who is a genuine star On IU’s team.

Last year I didn’t watch many IU games, so I base many of my impressions on a very narrow sample, just the IU-Purdue series. In those games TJD was not able to control Williams and Haarms. In fact, it was pretty much a draw Statistically, If I recall correctly. However down the ending stretch in both games TJD faded away and was nowhere to be found on the court. That might be more a result of Painter’s defensive strategy and Miller’s poor offensive strategy, than any tiring of TJD.

Not to turn this into an IU thread, but I think last year if you packed it in, doubled the post, and forced IU to beat you from outside you could have success. If Leal and Hunter can be knock down shooters it will really help IUs cause offensively this year. If not, I do think they will miss the threat of Green to stretch a defense. They likely don't get FSU win and one other marquee win (MSU or OSU?) without him going off, and other teams had to be aware of him because of that threat. Without those wins their season looks a whole lot different and Archie seat would be red hot.

Reactions: Schnelk

Race played 13 mpg last year, not 28-30.

CONFABULATION

Right there with ya DDD.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT