ADVERTISEMENT

2021 commitment Ava Learn

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com...reseason-girls-basketball-super-7/2596012001/

Ava Learn
School: Our Lady of Lourdes

Year: Junior

Position: Forward

What makes Ava super: At 6-foot-1, with her athleticism and talent, Learn can do it all and creates matchup nightmares for most opponents. She's a hybrid post-wing, capable of slashing inside, working under the basket and shooting from the perimeter. Her length and leaping ability have made her a good shot-blocker. Learn averaged 23 points, 12 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in leading the rebuilding Warriors to the Section 1 Class AA semifinals. "She's one of the most talented players I've had and she's drawing a lot of Division I college interest," Lourdes coach Al Viani said. "She's working on being able to do more things off the dribble and she's looking to pass more and get everyone involved. She'll be our go-to player and we'll get as far as she takes us."

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com...reseason-girls-basketball-super-7/2596012001/

Ava Learn
School: Our Lady of Lourdes

Year: Junior

Position: Forward

What makes Ava super: At 6-foot-1, with her athleticism and talent, Learn can do it all and creates matchup nightmares for most opponents. She's a hybrid post-wing, capable of slashing inside, working under the basket and shooting from the perimeter. Her length and leaping ability have made her a good shot-blocker. Learn averaged 23 points, 12 rebounds and 3.5 blocks in leading the rebuilding Warriors to the Section 1 Class AA semifinals. "She's one of the most talented players I've had and she's drawing a lot of Division I college interest," Lourdes coach Al Viani said. "She's working on being able to do more things off the dribble and she's looking to pass more and get everyone involved. She'll be our go-to player and we'll get as far as she takes us."
Looks like a good get.

Mike Carmin's story: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-commits-purdue-womens-basketball/5317870002/

Last edited:
Appears that the new(as of last year) assistant with east coast ties is paying off in recruiting. Hoping that we see some shades of Douglas, Geralds, Kamara, etc with some of the new recruits.
Wouldn't they have to at least be a top 100 ranked national recruit for that to happen? Douglas, Geralds, and Kamara were top 50 at least top national recruits... So far there is maybe one in the 2021 class according to Hoopgurlz, and the other 2 not including the transfer recruit are not even ranked anywhere by them nor by anyone else that I've checked... So is Ava Learn a decent recruit? The recruiting gurus don't seem to have her on their radar, she's not listed anywhere that I've found... Versyp still hasn't recruited a program changing player since maybe Rayburn and maybe Harris..but neither of them were McDonald's All Americans and there has still not been a player recruited by Sharon that has played in the WNBA...Just sayin... Her lack of success and legacy for this program beyond her inability to successfully motivate and coach an exciting, winning brand of basketball, will be her lack of ability to recruit elite players to Purdue on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
Wouldn't they have to at least be a top 100 ranked national recruit for that to happen? Douglas, Geralds, and Kamara were top 50 at least top national recruits... So far there is maybe one in the 2021 class according to Hoopgurlz, and the other 2 not including the transfer recruit are not even ranked anywhere by them nor by anyone else that I've checked... So is Ava Learn a decent recruit? The recruiting gurus don't seem to have her on their radar, she's not listed anywhere that I've found... Versyp still hasn't recruited a program changing player since maybe Rayburn and maybe Harris..but neither of them were McDonald's All Americans and there has still not been a player recruited by Sharon that has played in the WNBA...Just sayin... Her lack of success and legacy for this program beyond her inability to successfully motivate and coach an exciting, winning brand of basketball, will be her lack of ability to recruit elite players to Purdue on a consistent basis.

Umm, okay?!? I said nothing of the receuits being equal to those that were named, just that it would be nice to see some shades of those girls in the new recruits - similar competitiveness, styles, etc. Purdue has lacked for a few seasons some of the court sense, drive, effort, etc that those girls had.

As for recruiting rankings we don't know exactly where these girls will end up. In my opinion the effects of the virus/pandemic on high school seasons, AAU seasons and camps will make this(and likely next) year's recruiting rankings much more of a crapshoot than in past years.

Reactions: DocRon
Looks soft
I always like to take a deeper look at unfamiliar posters with negative agendas or those who have not nice things to say about our program.

In this case, Blackgold85 has 3 posts on here. Maybe more elsewhere but when I look at the profile, there are no other posts on record. I can’t even find the other two posts. So... in this poster’s opinion, our new recruit is “soft”. Yep, I’m sure that’s right. (TIC).

Reactions: DocRon and jindy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT