ADVERTISEMENT

2 OC's going to new programs

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
Jim Chaney was named new OC at Pitt, and Jay Norvell may be the new OC at Wisky. Some might remember that Norvell was a candidate for our HC job in the past.

Chaney to Pitt? Wasnt he at a better school last year? I remember announcers praising him for being a spread guy and successfully leading a power run system due to personnel, but cant remember where.

Who cares??? We're riding the same old dead horse as an OC.
frown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by boiler17:
Chaney to Pitt? Wasnt he at a better school last year? I remember announcers praising him for being a spread guy and successfully leading a power run system due to personnel, but cant remember where.
Arkansas. I dont blame him for bailing on bieledork.

Originally posted by nat100:

Arkansas. I dont blame him for bailing on bieledork.
Thanks.

I dunno... He had them playing pretty darn well at the end of the season.

I suppose as far as Chaney is concerned, actions speak louder than words. I cant imagine that Ark < Pitt.

Thanks.

I dunno... He had them playing pretty darn well at the end of the season.

I suppose as far as Chaney is concerned, actions speak louder than words. I cant imagine that Ark < Pitt.
He did, but i wouldnt be surprised if i learned he wanted to not work for Bielema.

got criticized for calling a lot more pass plays than runs and also calling "cute" plays instead of just power plays. Arkansas finished 102nd in the nation in passing and had 2 1100 yd. rushers. Their offense ave. 31.9/ gm but only scored more than 30 once vs SEC competition this yr.
This post was edited on 1/12 10:53 AM by PaBoiler78

Originally posted by Bullwhip Griffith:
A dead horse would be better than Shoop
For all the bitching we did about coordinators over the Tiller and Hope eras, Shoop makes them look like geniuses.

I think a lot of the ire towards Hope and Nord was because their offenses were a far cry look and results wise from what Tiller did. Their consistent 70s in the country finishes were not impressive. That said, those offenses were juggernauts as compared to the past 2 statistical outings of Shoop. Just baffling how/why he was able to keep his job this year.

Originally posted by pboiler18:
For all the bitching we did about coordinators over the Tiller and Hope eras, Shoop makes them look like geniuses.

I think a lot of the ire towards Hope and Nord was because their offenses were a far cry look and results wise from what Tiller did. Their consistent 70s in the country finishes were not impressive. That said, those offenses were juggernauts as compared to the past 2 statistical outings of Shoop. Just baffling how/why he was able to keep his job this year.
Nord was hampered by piss poor line play the last 2 years. He figured out the team couldnt pass block and needed to zone block to create run lanes. Took Shoop/Hazell 15 games to figure that out.

Nord was hampered by piss poor line play the last 2 years. He figured out the team couldnt pass block and needed to zone block to create run lanes. Took Shoop/Hazell 15 games to figure that out.
But wasn't it Nord/Hope's fault for not recruiting a line what was up to snuff? We also took a big step back this year when we changed to a zone blocking scheme...away from the man to man schemes we were running earlier in the year....so this staff actually had better players...but over thought it!

This post was edited on 1/12 1:31 PM by pboiler18

But wasn't it Nord/Hope's fault for not recruiting a line what was up to snuff? We also took a big step back this year when we changed to a zone blocking scheme...away from the man to man schemes we were running earlier in the year....so this staff actually had better players...but over thought it!

Yes, it was there fault they didnt recruit it, but Nord tried to compensate. Shoop didnt.

As for step back, the running game improved when Hunt was given the nod and we went zone. Once the league figured out AA cant complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield, they loaded the box.

Ha. Nevermind, Nat beat me to it.

Wasnt Appleby completing passes of decent length/timing when he started and slowly regressed into part of the Henry/Etling 'I cant complete any pass' monster? Especially early on I remember admiring and fearing his ability to thread the needle on 10-15 yard TE routes and hitting wideouts on a 10-15 yard stop routes.
This post was edited on 1/12 2:34 PM by boiler17

Ha. Nevermind, Nat beat me to it.

Wasnt Appleby completing passes of decent length/timing when he started and slowly regressed into part of the Henry/Etling 'I cant complete any pass' monster? Especially early on I remember admiring and fearing his ability to thread the needle on 10-15 yard TE routes and hitting wideouts on a 10-15 yard stop routes.

This post was edited on 1/12 2:34 PM by boiler17

YEah, I don't think any of the issues we saw with Etling (outside of his yips and fear of being hit) were any different than what we saw with Appleby later in the year. Once teams knew we couldn't reliably throw the ball, they packed the box and went single coverage on the outside and feasted on our RBs and QBs.

Outside of the read option/TE pass play we never adjusted. Once that was figured out, we never went to anything that worked.

YEah, I don't think any of the issues we saw with Etling (outside of his yips and fear of being hit) were any different than what we saw with Appleby later in the year. Once teams knew we couldn't reliably throw the ball, they packed the box and went single coverage on the outside and feasted on our RBs and QBs.

Outside of the read option/TE pass play we never adjusted. Once that was figured out, we never went to anything that worked.
We are the only team that throws that pass 1 yard down the field. Anyone else i have seen run it throws a quick slant.

We are the only team that throws that pass 1 yard down the field. Anyone else i have seen run it throws a quick slant.
We ran it that way when Painter was here. it didn't work well, so you didn't see it much.

We did a lot of damage vs. MSU with Anthrop and Knauf as the WR on the 1 yard pass. IT worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT