ADVERTISEMENT

2 count'em former 4* GA wrs

We all been waiting for some WR pickups!
On paper it looks like Walters has done a very solid job in the portal so far…looking forward to what these new guys bring to the team. If Purdue is going to take leftovers I don’t mind it being from Georgia!

Last edited:
I recall that Max Klare was being used as a WR in some sets, and was pretty impressive running routes and catching the ball. He will be back.

Makes me hopeful that another redshirt receiver or two will pop up.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Smith is very very good IMO. Morisette needs some work. He’s actually from my high school.

Interesting pickups for sure.
What's he need to work on? Attitude? Effort?

This is the 247 HS writeup...

H.S. Scouting Report​

EVALUATED 02/20/2021​

Andrew Ivins

Andrew IvinsDIRECTOR OF SCOUTING

PROJECTION​

4-7 RoundDAY 3

A big, thick wide receiver. Looks like the type of prospect that has spent some time in the weight room before. One of the more competitive wideouts in the 2022 cycle that has produced time after time against top competition on Friday nights. Core strength and a nasty stiff arm allows him to power his way through would-be tacklers and move the chains. Eats in catch-and-run situations, but also a rather advanced route runner that is able to creation separation as he gets vertical with simple foot jabs and head fakes. Coordinated athlete that shows good control of his body and will adjust mid-flight in order to make difficult grabs with his reliable hands. Has lined up both inside and outside and doesn’t seem to need a free release to start working his way up field. Plays fast in pads and looks explosive at times, but top-end speed a bit of a question mark without any verified testing data. Will need to keep the right mindset and master the little things like blocking, but should be viewed as a prospect with a higher floor that has a chance to develop into an impact player and make contested catches on college football’s biggest stage. NFL potential, especially with the spread offense becoming more and more prevalent in the league.

Reactions: cillerdo and z_one

H.S. Scouting Report​

EVALUATED 02/20/2021​

Andrew Ivins

PROJECTION​

4-7 RoundDAY 3

A big, thick wide receiver. Looks like the type of prospect that has spent some time in the weight room before. One of the more competitive wideouts in the 2022 cycle that has produced time after time against top competition on Friday nights. Core strength and a nasty stiff arm allows him to power his way through would-be tacklers and move the chains. Eats in catch-and-run situations, but also a rather advanced route runner that is able to creation separation as he gets vertical with simple foot jabs and head fakes. Coordinated athlete that shows good control of his body and will adjust mid-flight in order to make difficult grabs with his reliable hands. Has lined up both inside and outside and doesn’t seem to need a free release to start working his way up field. Plays fast in pads and looks explosive at times, but top-end speed a bit of a question mark without any verified testing data. Will need to keep the right mindset and master the little things like blocking, but should be viewed as a prospect with a higher floor that has a chance to develop into an impact player and make contested catches on college football’s biggest stage. NFL potential, especially with the spread offense becoming more and more prevalent in the league.
Route running A1. Polish and blocking #2. Catching in traffic #3.

Not bad.
Thank you!!!
Sorry. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to Burks, Yaseem and Sheffield. 1300 yards were their numbers. Purdue used Burks, Yaseem, Sheffield a lot in 2023 and did not go into their depth for receivers until later on in the season.

Smith and Brown collectively had approx 275 yards and approx 20 receptions. Morrisette did not have a reception in 2023. But they were not the starters.

If Smith, Brown and Morrisette get starter reps, their numbers could be more productive than 1300 yards.
However in 2024, C Walters may trust the depth of this WR room and rotate a lot more.

Last edited:
It has been said the best recruiter is a player. We signed one player from Georgia and now we have four.

I’m not complaining about any of the four.

I’m just curious if there might be any more players from Georgia looking for a new home.

H.S. Scouting Report​

EVALUATED 02/20/2021​

Andrew Ivins

PROJECTION​

4-7 RoundDAY 3

Pretty spot on if you watch his hs highlights. A lot of short passes to the outside and he would just bully his way for 10+ every time. One of the more physical WRs I've seen on a hs tape.

Reactions: cillerdo
Sorry. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to Burks, Yaseem and Sheffield. 1300 yards were their numbers. Purdue used Burks, Yaseem, Sheffield a lot in 2023 and did not go into their depth for receivers until later on in the season.

Smith and Brown collectively had approx 275 yards and approx 20 receptions. Morrisette did not have a reception in 2023. But they were not the starters.

If Smith, Brown and Morrisette get starter reps, their numbers could be more productive than 1300 yards.
However in 2024, C Walters may trust the depth of this WR room and rotate a lot more.
It will.be interesting to see if gained production or lost it...

Last edited:
Read CJ Smith ran a verified 10.28 100-meter. At 6'3" with that kind of speed...dayum.

It does appear however he may be a little raw, so hopefully our WR coaches can work with him. One thing to be fast, but quite another to be a fast football player.

Smith is very very good IMO. Morisette needs some work. He’s actually from my high school.

Interesting pickups for sure.
Why is Smith better in your eyes? I had to look at both kids HS highlight reels. Smith hands are really good and he’s got strength after the catch. Morisette has good hands but boy does he have some get-up-and-go!

Reactions: z_one and cillerdo
Being in UGA territory I’ve heard from several Dawg fans that Smith is going to be a star. Every person I talked to was really disappointed to see him go. They also had a lot of good things to say about Green. The other two were guys they thought would be solid contributors but nothing they couldn’t replace. From the sounds of it we got four players that will at the very least be good for us with the potential to all be great.

Being in UGA territory I’ve heard from several Dawg fans that Smith is going to be a star. Every person I talked to was really disappointed to see him go. They also had a lot of good things to say about Green. The other two were guys they thought would be solid contributors but nothing they couldn’t replace. From the sounds of it we got four players that will at the very least be good for us with the potential to all be great.
Madden will be very very good in our Defense. More of the OLb we want than Scourton. Obviously Scourton is great at the QB rush but Madden will be great covering TE and RBs and stopping the run too.

He didn’t get to play much because he was edged out by more athletic guys…but he’ll be fine in the BIG and is a good and smart player.

Overall..all 4 UGA guys will play a ton and likely start.

Reactions: z_one and Bippus33
I hope youre right but I’m skeptical of the sec transfers. Indiana picks up a ton and doesn’t do much for them and the ones we have picked up in the past have mostly been busts. There were 7 WRs with better stats than smith on that roster, 3 are likely returning and they have 3 transferring in that look to be ahead of him (last year they had 2 transfers that beat him out). It’s hard to get on the field when you are constantly being recruited over with transfers.

I hope youre right but I’m skeptical of the sec transfers. Indiana picks up a ton and doesn’t do much for them and the ones we have picked up in the past have mostly been busts. There were 7 WRs with better stats than smith on that roster, 3 are likely returning and they have 3 transferring in that look to be ahead of him (last year they had 2 transfers that beat him out). It’s hard to get on the field when you are constantly being recruited over with transfers.
Indiana doesn't do a lot with players. Period.

Look at Penix. Pedestrian at IU. Now about to play for the NC.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Indiana doesn't do a lot with players. Period.

Look at Penix. Pedestrian at IU. Now about to play for the NC.
Penix was far from pedestrian at IU. He was basically the only reason they were good that Covid year.

It’s like us having OConnell. A really good player is going to only elevate us so much. That’s just how it is when you’re not a blue blood

At this point, the players who are gone are gone.

If you wanna blame the coaches for their leaving that's fine. Who knows, maybe they were.

But moving forward, what do the coaches do? I would suggest there are only three options:

Develop what's left
Recruit high school players who are better
Bring it recruits who were at least high level in high school (because few if any big time recruits are coming to a Purdue team any time for any coach)

They seem to be doing number 3 exceedingly well. 1 and 2 will take longer to evaluate. If they fail at both they won't likely be here long because 3 even in a best case scenario is going to be hits and misses.

Penix was far from pedestrian at IU. He was basically the only reason they were good that Covid year.

It’s like us having OConnell. A really good player is going to only elevate us so much. That’s just how it is when you’re not a blue blood
I don't put a lot of stock into their covid year success. They returned pretty much eveyone in 2021 and were awful. Penix was not good that year, and was terrible against Iowa, he realized IU was not the place to be successful and moved on. He went to a place that knew how to put him on a path of amazing success. Good for him.

O'Connell gave us a 9 win and 8 win season back to back. That's pretty much tops for Purdue. So I guess you're right on that account. But that's way better than what Penix did at IU. Way better.

I hope you're also right on the GA transfers. I hope the coaches can set them up for success.

Interesting insight on DeNylon Morrissette.

He would have been a starter at Georgia, but got in trouble and out of Kirby’s favor.

I appreciate the analysis on how he would fit into Purdue’s offense.
Hopefully he maximizes his second chance.

Also hearing good things about CJ Smith. According to UGAWire

“explosive Georgia wide receiver C.J. Smith is one of the best Georgia players to enter the transfer portal this cycle. Purdue should have a significant boost from adding four Georgia Bulldogs this season.”

Interesting insight on DeNylon Morrissette.

He would have been a starter at Georgia, but got in trouble and out of Kirby’s favor.

I appreciate the analysis on how he would fit into Purdue’s offense.
Hopefully he maximizes his second chance.

Also hearing good things about CJ Smith. According to UGAWire

“explosive Georgia wide receiver C.J. Smith is one of the best Georgia players to enter the transfer portal this cycle. Purdue should have a significant boost from adding four Georgia Bulldogs this season.”
I expect the 2 defensive guys to start. The WRs will play as much as production bears. They are definitely an upgrade over Sheffield, Rice, Yasmeen, etc.

No excuses now. We have the talent. Have to win…or that pipeline to UGA and good transfers will shut off real real quick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT