ADVERTISEMENT

$17.33/gallon???

I get what they are going for, but the issue is, that cost of the EV is spread to all of us whether we have one or not, kind of like road maintenance in a lot of cases as they are talking what it should cost if the EV owners had to help pay to upgrade the grid to handle them.

Now that said, the cost is a lot higher than most will admit because one of the things EV owners like to smugly brag about is the lack of maintenance cost while ignoring the fact that they go through tires at a much faster rate due to the increased weight of them.

The other issue you don't hear talked about is the issue with parking garages. They aren't designed to handle the load of being filled with EVs, they are actually designed to be a certain percentage of lighter compact cars, but those small cars now weight as much as a large SUV or more.

Then there's always the entire battery pack issue in that they will eventually wear out and the car is worthless. Yeah, they are getting decent life out of them, but it's cheap to drop a new engine in an ICE, you can effectively keep one on the road for pretty much ever with little cost if you are mechanically inclined. EVs are not the same as battery pack replacement is far from cheap, if one in the form factor you need will even exist when the time comes that you do need one.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of them, and that is despite essentially majoring in EVs before any such program existed, made up my own path as that was where I wanted to go, glad I didn't.

Reactions: Riveting-
I get what they are going for, but the issue is, that cost of the EV is spread to all of us whether we have one or not, kind of like road maintenance in a lot of cases as they are talking what it should cost if the EV owners had to help pay to upgrade the grid to handle them.

Now that said, the cost is a lot higher than most will admit because one of the things EV owners like to smugly brag about is the lack of maintenance cost while ignoring the fact that they go through tires at a much faster rate due to the increased weight of them.

The other issue you don't hear talked about is the issue with parking garages. They aren't designed to handle the load of being filled with EVs, they are actually designed to be a certain percentage of lighter compact cars, but those small cars now weight as much as a large SUV or more.

Then there's always the entire battery pack issue in that they will eventually wear out and the car is worthless. Yeah, they are getting decent life out of them, but it's cheap to drop a new engine in an ICE, you can effectively keep one on the road for pretty much ever with little cost if you are mechanically inclined. EVs are not the same as battery pack replacement is far from cheap, if one in the form factor you need will even exist when the time comes that you do need one.

As you can tell, I'm a fan of them, and that is despite essentially majoring in EVs before any such program existed, made up my own path as that was where I wanted to go, glad I didn't.

Interesting points. Never thought about parking garages.

While they seem to be a nice add for houses with solar power already, the general consumer who is not sure and cost conscious, will likely write the future of EVs. One economist is questioning their future.....

EV market could become the 'next big flop': Economist

Great post, thanks.

When Joe said in the debates and campaign stops, "no more fossil fuels", it is clear he had no idea what he was talking about and had been hijacked by extreme libs who also had no idea what they talking about - and no thought of the unintended consequences of their idiot policies.

One of which, btw, was to loosen sanctions on Iran oil exports since we were no longer energy independent. Do the same fools now understand the connection between that stupidity and the Hamas Oct. 7 slaughter. No, they don't. No doubt many of them think it is Trump's fault. (Right, Bob, HoFan, bni?)

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT