ADVERTISEMENT

'15-'16 Minute breakdown

QuadBoiler2014

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2013
Been wondering for a few weeks how the minutes will break down or should break down for this coming season. I have opinions that I know others will not share but I'm going to post what I think would be best for minutes and players next season.

Center:
1. Hammons: 25
2. Haas: 15
PF:
1. Biggie: 25
2. Edwards: 10
3. Smotherman: 5
SF:
1. Edwards: 15
2. Davis: 15
3. Stephens: 10
SG:
1. Davis: 20
2. Stephens: 10
3. Mathias: 5
4. Cline: 5
PG:
1. Hill: 20
2. Mathias: 15
3. Cline: 5

Essentially I think each player will get these minutes:
Davis: 35
Hammons: 25
Edwards: 25
Biggie: 25
Stephens: 20
Mathias: 20
Hill: 20
Haas: 15
Cline: 10
Smotherman: 5

I could be way off but that's how I think it should go. Pj, Taylor and Weatherford are not on the same level as these other guys and should get walk on minutes IMO. I think they are fantastic players but I don't see a single reason they should take minutes away from the others. Not this year.

What do you guys think?

Been wondering for a few weeks how the minutes will break down or should break down for this coming season. I have opinions that I know others will not share but I'm going to post what I think would be best for minutes and players next season.

Center:
PF:
SF:
SG:
PG:

I could be way off but that's how I think it should go. Pj, Taylor and Weatherford are not on the same level as these other guys and should get walk on minutes IMO. I think they are fantastic players but I don't see a single reason they should take minutes away from the others. Not this year.

What do you guys think?

Center:
PF:
SF:
SG:
PG:

What do you guys think?

I think you're dead wrong about Taylor and PJ. Both will get far more playing time. Swanigan doesn't get 25 either. Cline gets more, Mathias gets less.

Thompson will probably play at least 5-10 minutes a game, if not more. I could see the same deal for Taylor, except he probably won't average more than 10 MPG.

Also, if Stephens does not get more consistent with his shooting and improve in other areas, I could see Mathias and Cline averaging more MPG than him.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
If Smotheman is only playing 5 min. a game, why wouldn't you redshirt him? If CMP doesn't redshirt him, I feel sorry for the kid.

Thompson will probably play at least 5-10 minutes a game, if not more. I could see the same deal for Taylor, except he probably won't average more than 10 MPG.

Also, if Stephens does not get more consistent with his shooting and improve in other areas, I could see Mathias and Cline averaging more MPG than him.

Even during the injury Stephens was more accurate and made more 3s than Mathias and also played 20 mpg. I don't see his minutes dropping below 20. Also during the injury Stephens dished out more assists and had less turnovers than Mathias. A healthy Stephens is one of the best players on our team. He could start but idk if he will.

There aren't minutes enough to give to players like Thompson and Taylor. Coaches say Taylor still isn't even 100%. I don't see where Thompson, Weatherford and Taylor take minutes from the other guys. What do they add that the others dont?

I enjoy guessing the future on threads like this, but that is all it is. It is too soon to predict with reasonable accuracy, other than saying Davis, Hammons, and Edwards are proven & should get big minutes.

There's a next tier of players I think will get decent minutes during the first part of the season. Two or three will rise to the top to get more than the others by B1G play, and one or two will likely sit a lot by then. I put Swanigan, Haas, Mathias, Stephens, Hill, Thompson, and Cline into this group. Yes, I put Swanigan on this list because he is a freshman big, though it is likely he will be one of the risers. Cline would have been in the group of aspirants below before his consistently good shooting performances this past week. He might just turn out to be the best, most consistent SG. Some may question Thompson being in this tier, but he was there last year, and I am keeping him there for now as one of the top 2 PG's.

And then each of the rest of the scholarship players could get just a few minutes per game, depending on how they perform. Smotherman, Taylor, and Weatherford. It is possible one of these could rise into the next tier or even the top tier. It is interesting that these three are among the most spirited players, and that's something the team needs on the court.

Really, I don't see any obvious weak links on this team. Under performer type players (I don't need to name names) we have seen in the past are not discernible. Any of the non-core players could rise up in minutes if they prove themselves. Boiler Up!

I enjoy guessing the future on threads like this, but that is all it is. It is too soon to predict with reasonable accuracy, other than saying Davis, Hammons, and Edwards are proven & should get big minutes.

There's a next tier of players I think will get decent minutes during the first part of the season. Two or three will rise to the top to get more than the others by B1G play, and one or two will likely sit a lot by then. I put Swanigan, Haas, Mathias, Stephens, Hill, Thompson, and Cline into this group. Yes, I put Swanigan on this list because he is a freshman big, though it is likely he will be one of the risers. Cline would have been in the group of aspirants below before his consistently good shooting performances this past week. He might just turn out to be the best, most consistent SG. Some may question Thompson being in this tier, but he was there last year, and I am keeping him there for now as one of the top 2 PG's.

And then each of the rest of the scholarship players could get just a few minutes per game, depending on how they perform. Smotherman, Taylor, and Weatherford. It is possible one of these could rise into the next tier or even the top tier. It is interesting that these three are among the most spirited players, and that's something the team needs on the court.

Really, I don't see any obvious weak links on this team. Under performer type players (I don't need to name names) we have seen in the past are not discernible. Any of the non-core players could rise up in minutes if they prove themselves. Boiler Up!

Good breakdown and points. I would put Stephens and Swanigan in with those other 3 you listed as core. I think people are downplaying Stephens injury too much. Biggie being one of our best is not a speculation. He is 1 of 24 players chosen to try out to represent our country and will likely be chosen to the 12 man team.

I would put Thompson in with Taylor and Weatherford as I said above. He was not very good at all the last 15 games of the season and didn't even play in 4 of them. I just don't see any reason that Thompson, Taylor, or Weatherford should take minutes away from any of the other 10. We are just too good.

Can't wait for the season

Johnny Hill hasn't proved anything yet can't just ride Thompson and Weatherford off. Also Basil will play we will go deep this year because our bench is not far off talent wise compared to our starters.

Johnny Hill hasn't proved anything yet can't just ride Thompson and Weatherford off. Also Basil will play we will go deep this year because our bench is not far off talent wise compared to our starters.

Hill has 3 years of college experience and 18 games played against NCAAT teams where he has averaged 6 ppg, 5 rpg, 3.5 apg, and 1.2 spg. He has proven to me what he can do. Weatherford is a defensive monster. His offense though is quite poor, at least it was at the end of his HS career. PJ showed me absolutley nothing other than that he will be a nice role playing bench player for 4 years.

Understand I am not hating or favoring any of these players, just stating facts and opinions. I love all these guys because they are boilers, but this is the most talented team CMP has ever had and some guys will need to take a hit this year in order for the clearly better players to get the minutes they deserve.

I would put Thompson in with Taylor and Weatherford as I said above. He was not very good at all the last 15 games of the season and didn't even play in 4 of them.

Thompson was the reason we beat the Illini.

"I thought we were really good for the first 16 minutes, and then the game-changer came into the game -- PJ Thompson," Groce said. "He totally changed the game and changed the energy level in the building."

I actually think Davis will get less minutes next season than the previous but be more effective.

If you were at the game, you would realize just how wrong you are about that.

Was at the game. A remember. He contributed well, but wasnt the reason we won. Teams win games, and he didn't hit any buzzer beaters. He gave us momentum, didn't win the game for us tho. Last 15 games of the season he played in 11 of them and averaged 9 min, 1.9 pts on 27% shooting. That's pretty bad. He does not deserve to take minutes from the other 10 guys I mentioned. That's my opinion but he was statistically the worst player on our team last year, and we are much better this year.

For the most part I agree with the OP. There are some slight changes I would make, but nothing major worth noting.

I think Thompson gets at least 5 minutes, but we'll see. I also scoffed at Smotherman getting only 5 mpg but after thinking about it, I wouldn't know whose minutes to reduce.

There's just not enough minutes to go around; it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

All this/our guard play speculation is beginning to make me yawn.....just kidding. Like some of you I wonder where Smotherman's minutes will come from also. And I think the guy who might further create competition for playing time is Taylor. I know that's questionable but after Davis' excited tweet about him bulking up so much I have to think this guy, if healthy, could force his way onto the floor somehow. He's got the hops and athleticism. It may take alot of reps between now and then but he could make a difference this year. Just practicing against our other bigs will be good for him.

All this/our guard play speculation is beginning to make me yawn.....just kidding. Like some of you I wonder where Smotherman's minutes will come from also. And I think the guy who might further create competition for playing time is Taylor. I know that's questionable but after Davis' excited tweet about him bulking up so much I have to think this guy, if healthy, could force his way onto the floor somehow. He's got the hops and athleticism. It may take alot of reps between now and then but he could make a difference this year. Just practicing against our other bigs will be good for him.

Heard from coaches that he has really bulked up but is still not 100% healthy and is still too skinny. I don't know if we will ever see a healthy Taylor.

Is Jacquil Taylor really approx. 240 lbs. now or is this a bit of an exaggeration? He couldn't have been much more than 200 (210 at the absolute most) in the games he played in before being redshirted this past season.

Is Jacquil Taylor really approx. 240 lbs. now or is this a bit of an exaggeration? He couldn't have been much more than 200 (210 at the absolute most) in the games he played in before being redshirted this past season.
He was bigger than JJ (at his biggest) when he played last year.

Davis tweeted it. I have to trust our captain.

Heard from trainers that's not exactly true but it's sort of close. He is so long it may take more weight than we think for him to be strong enough to push people around. He is still not practicing and won't start until mid - July at the earliest. Wouldn't count on Taylor contributing a lot this year, and that's not a bad thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT