ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Scoring center according to BR...

Is it just everyone is being a homer saying that the only thing IU was missing last year was a legit big man? What did we get? A legit big man. Weird, huh? Crean's roster mismanagement cost of several games last year including one to you guys.

IU was missing only one thing last year, but it wasn't a legit big man. They had Perea. Remember? Then you identify the real problem with your follow-up statement. They were missing a legit coach. So you added another highly regarded big man. Hooray! What have you done about the real problem?

That's fine. Again, come to the main rivals board. Plenty of fans from all teams are there. The majority (including Purdue fans) seem to be closer to what I believe compared to Methboy. I started a prediction thread on that board. Only one person (PU homer) had Purdue higher than 3rd and IU lower than 5th. Most had both teams neck and neck.

Amazing how every time you post here your statements are based on what you tell us the 'experts' say or what a bunch of people on the internet are saying. Seriously. As if the results of some poll makes it fact in you mind. The fact is, you have no thoughts of your own.

Yeah but your comment was about Crean being able to finish a season strong within the conference. My point was he's done that.

If Crean really is so good, why are so many IU fans calling for his head/job? This could be a make or break season for Crean. IU should be a B1G top 4/5 team. If they don't get there, Crean may be gone [injuries/suspensions or not]. We know Crean/IU can recruit, & talk the talk, but if he doesn't walk the walk this season, Crean could be gone. Personally, I hope IU keeps Crean. Sooner or later, recruits will figure out, he recruits well, but beyond that, it's a lot of fluff & window dressing [& influencial friends in high places]. Sometimes, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Keep Crean, please
[& get Sampson as an assistant]

Last edited:
UM has yet to show me the kind of play that would justify landing in your (and the pendants) second shelf with Purdue and MSU.

Well prior to last season, Michigan was one "unlucky roll of the ball" (as someone else noted in this thread) from having won 3 straight conference titles. Last year they dropped off finishing 9-11 in conference games (albeit with 4 OT losses). It was a tough season, but to be expected when they lost Nik Stauskas, Glenn Robinson, Mitch McGary, Jordan Morgan, Jon Horford, Derrick Walton, and Caris LeVert from the previous season. The only 2 players left down the stretch that had ever played serious minutes were Spike Albrecht and Zak Irvin and Albrecht was planning on an injured hip all season that he underwent surgery for at the end of the year. Essentially the rest of the lineup was a freshman. They had to play walkons serious minutes and at times had 2 walkons playing together in the backcourt in the 1st half of conference games.

Kinda tough to win games in that scenario.

Next year they will be back to normal, though. Walton is already 100% from his turf toe injury and should be one of the best PGs in the conference if not country. LeVert is coming around fine from his broken bone. DJ Wilson was their 2nd best recruit last year but missed the season with an offseason knee injury so he'll be > 12 months out from surgery when the season starts. And then add back every major contributor that was a freshman last season and you'd expect them to be even better as sophomores. The only recruit is a solid 4 star, borderline 5 star German PF Mortiz Wagner, but he will be hard pressed to even see the floor there is so much depth ahead of him.

Big Ten will be tough next year. There isn't that slam dunk walkaway preseason favorite like last year with Wisconsin, but there will be at least 5 teams in the top 20 that could all end up winning it. I think Michigan is squarely in that group. They probably have the most talent and depth on the perimeter of any team in the country when you can bring guys like Spike Albrecht and Aubrey Dawkins and Muhammed Ali Abdur-Rahkman off the bench. Interior play will be the question for Michigan but it's not the first time Beilein will try to do big things with a perimeter based team.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
There isn't that slam dunk walkaway preseason favorite like last year with Wisconsin
As loaded as Maryland is, I think actually they fit exactly what you are describing here.

I've always liked UM. Growing up in South Bend, they were the second team I would cheer for. Now, your basketball coach is a class act but that football coach .. well ... we'll save the discussion of his douchery for another day. :D

We don't need a ton from him. Like I said earlier, defense, rebounding and the occasional basket in a one on one situation. He doesn't have to be Zeller for us. We have enough scoring 1-4, that should take some of the pressure off of him. He will be expected to produce on the defensive end immediately, so I agree with you if that's what you were meaning. Offensively though, I don't think we're expecting too much.

Grayson Allen proved to be a pretty damn good player. I think he would have been able to get some minutes on most teams outside of UK and a few others. Booker was pretty damn good as well. KBD had flashes. I expect he'll be a tough one this year. Biggest disappointment was Chatman. He looked completely lost from day one.

You had that last year in Hannah P. Granted he was dominate but he was pretty decent last year. Honestly don't seeing Bryant making that big of a difference. He's not Zeller. He may score a couple more buckets then Hannah, that's it. Think he was actually a big loss for you

The 4* 6'9" freshman Bryant will be an upgrade from the 4* 6'8" junior Perea? Perea was the only reason IU stayed in the game the first half. He scored 8 of your first 13 points. After he picked up his 2nd foul at the 12 minute mark, you guys scored a whopping 13 more points to finish the half. He finished with 10 points and 2 blocks. Your new 4* won't average those numbers. We played over 1/4 of the game without Octeus without any drop off. The game was at IU! We add the 2 best Indiana high school players to our team. You replace one 4* undersized big with another 4* undersized big.
What's awesome about this place is all year people were dogging Perea. Now all of a sudden he's some great loss for us. He wouldn't have been starting. He would have been a bench player. Nothing more. Bryant is an immediate upgrade. Don't take my word for it, go do yourself a favor and read something about Bryant before making any type of claims. I've watched the kid play several times outside of all star games. He's not Zeller, but he's 100x better than what we had last year offensively and defensively. It's funny too, I remember hearing these same types of comments when Zeller was going to be a freshman. Again, I don't expect him to be Zeller, but he'll be a huge improvement and just what we need.

IU was missing only one thing last year, but it wasn't a legit big man. They had Perea. Remember? Then you identify the real problem with your follow-up statement. They were missing a legit coach. So you added another highly regarded big man. Hooray! What have you done about the real problem?
Actually, I don't disagree. I don't think Crean is the man for the job. However, he's won the B10 in a really tough year in the conference so I know he can do it. Either way, we win. We do bad this year, I bet he's gone. If we win big and he stays, well at least we won big.

You're wasting your time using facts like that. Biggie alone is going to school Bryant let alone what AJH/Haas will do to him.

SNU has the habit of only seeing what he wants to see. I mean don't you realize that by SNU's perception Bryant is going to come in and average 30 points a game and be an unstoppable defensive force in the paint from day one?

IU may beat us when we play them at the hall of calls, but it won't be because of Bryant. There is nothing about this kid that suggests he'll be any better than the similar player Perea (as you noted). But it is funny to watch how quickly SNU will discount our players but think IU's are basically "all world".

I foresee a similar outcome for IU next year, they'll do well pre-B1G but then be middle of the pack and barely squeak in to the tourney. Basically doing just enough to keep crean around.
Dude. There isn't one bit of truth to this statement. Do you have a link to anything close to this? I've said from the jump that Bryant doesn't have to score for us to win big. He'll just need to play defense, rebound and score in one on one situations occasionally. It's just pathetic that you say I only see what I want to see yet you are here putting words in my mouth. I've never said anything close to this.

Actually Bossi from Rivals, Parish and a host of other people who ACTUALLY know basketball have said multiple times that Bryant is an upgrade from what we had last year. Seriously pathetic BBG. But I'll extend the same invitation to you as I did Methboy, come to the main board. See how many people laugh at you like they did Methboy.

Dude. There isn't one bit of truth to this statement. Do you have a link to anything close to this? I've said from the jump that Bryant doesn't have to score for us to win big. He'll just need to play defense, rebound and score in one on one situations occasionally. It's just pathetic that you say I only see what I want to see yet you are here putting words in my mouth. I've never said anything close to this.

Actually Bossi from Rivals, Parish and a host of other people who ACTUALLY know basketball have said multiple times that Bryant is an upgrade from what we had last year. Seriously pathetic BBG. But I'll extend the same invitation to you as I did Methboy, come to the main board. See how many people laugh at you like they did Methboy.
I'm not sure why you come on this board of all of your opinions come from another.
So Bryant is an upgrade? Care to share what makes him an upgrade? I find it strange to call him that when he has yet to play a single minute of college ball.

What's awesome about this place is all year people were dogging Perea. Now all of a sudden he's some great loss for us. He wouldn't have been starting. He would have been a bench player. Nothing more. Bryant is an immediate upgrade. Don't take my word for it, go do yourself a favor and read something about Bryant before making any type of claims. I've watched the kid play several times outside of all star games. He's not Zeller, but he's 100x better than what we had last year offensively and defensively. It's funny too, I remember hearing these same types of comments when Zeller was going to be a freshman. Again, I don't expect him to be Zeller, but he'll be a huge improvement and just what we need.
I'm not sure about your comprehension skills. I never said Perea will be a great loss. I said he kept you in the game against us. I'm saying Bryant is a lot like Perea. They are ranked about the same, and the same things were said about Perea that you are saying about Bryant. You (for some unknown reason) expect a freshman Bryant to be some HUGE upgrade to junior Perea...2 guys who were closely rated coming out of high school. I've done my research. I suggest you go back and read some of the things said about Perea as a recruit.

Reactions: BBG
Here is what Inside the Hall said about Perea the spring before he played at IU:
"His length coupled with his athleticism and quickness can make him a nightmare to score on in the paint. His upper body strength should allow him to step right into the paint and make a difference in a physical Big Ten."
Sound familiar?

Seriously pathetic BBG. But I'll extend the same invitation to you as I did Methboy, come to the main board. See how many people laugh at you like they did Methboy.
Someone is getting cranky and I figured you were just here to basically troll and looks like I was right. No one does things like you, such as do childish things like change people's names, that just wants to engage in "civil discussion". You can always tell the trolls because they so easily get worked up and resort to things like what you do. And I find it even more funny you have gone this route when I have defended you in the past.

I'll give you credit, you hid it better this time around but sooner or later I knew you would come around to your true colors. But thankfully, you can be fixed with a simple add to the ignore list. Weren't you banned from here before the format change anyway? Guess we now know why. At any rate, off to ignore you go since you don't have much to add to a discussion other than your biased one-sided views.

Last edited:
Here is what Bossi said about Perea:
"An intense competitor with long arms and big time athleticism, Perea has earned a top 10 ranking and five-star status in the class of 2012. He runs the floor, owns his area on the glass and is developing into a crafty scorer."

Reactions: BBG
I'm not sure about your comprehension skills. I never said Perea will be a great loss. I said he kept you in the game against us. I'm saying Bryant is a lot like Perea. They are ranked about the same, and the same things were said about Perea that you are saying about Bryant. You (for some unknown reason) expect a freshman Bryant to be some HUGE upgrade to junior Perea...2 guys who were closely rated coming out of high school. I've done my research. I suggest you go back and read some of the things said about Perea as a recruit.
You think Perea and Bryant have similar games? Have you actually seen Bryant play outside of an allstar game? Based on your answers, I'd say you haven't seen a minute of any meaningful game he's played. Perea was ranked on potential and athletic ability but was raw. Bryant actually has some skill for a big man. But don't let facts get your way.

You think Perea and Bryant have similar games? Have you actually seen Bryant play outside of an allstar game? Based on your answers, I'd say you haven't seen a minute of any meaningful game he's played. Perea was ranked on potential and athletic ability but was raw. Bryant actually has some skill for a big man. But don't let facts get your way.
Facts? You mean the facts that your "experts" said about Perea. I have seen Bryant. He plays about like a 1" taller version of Perea. He might have a slightly better outside shot, but teams will be more than happy to let him shoot it from the outside.

I can admit when I'm wrong. I just watched some of Perea's old videos (I haven't seen them in a while). Perea looked much more polished and athletic than Bryant. Bryant is a little heavier and slower and isn't able to get too high above the rim. Perea's videos showed a much better offensive and defensive game than Bryant's. You need to take the crimson colored glasses off, man. You're going to be very disappointed when Bryant isn't this HUGE upgrade that you're expecting.

I can admit when I'm wrong. I just watched some of Perea's old videos (I haven't seen them in a while). Perea looked much more polished and athletic than Bryant. Bryant is a little heavier and slower and isn't able to get too high above the rim. Perea's videos showed a much better offensive and defensive game than Bryant's. You need to take the crimson colored glasses off, man. You're going to be very disappointed when Bryant isn't this HUGE upgrade that you're expecting.
Agree to disagree. Again, I'll ask the question. Why are Purdue fans the only ones who are discounting Bryant? He's not going to be Zeller but only Purdue fans believe Bryant won't be an upgrade from Perea. But yet, Swanigan who plays below the rim with no outside shot is going to make an immediate impact on your squad. Williams will destroy Swaningan. And if you switch and let Hammons guard Williams, I'll love the matchup between Swanigan and Bryant.

All the experts along with pretty much everyone else around the country must purposefully be hating on Purdue by putting IU ahead of them, right? Most early polls have them ranked behind four or so other B10 teams. I guess they just want to dog Purdue fans right? It couldn't possibly be they can look at things objectively. And before you tell me to look at things objectively, I've already said I think you guys are going to be very good this year. I just don't buy that you guys are real contenders. I don't think IU is either. I think Purdue and IU will finish in the 3-5 range.

And just for a reminder, this type of downplay was said about Zeller. Hell, we had plenty of people here who said Travis Carroll was going to dominate Zeller. And we had countless battles about Ronnie Johnson being better than Yogi. Talk about being objective...LOL

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. Again, I'll ask the question. Why are Purdue fans the only ones who are discounting Bryant? He's not going to be Zeller but only Purdue fans believe Bryant won't be an upgrade from Perea. But yet, Swanigan who plays below the rim with no outside shot is going to make an immediate impact on your squad. Williams will destroy Swaningan. And if you switch and let Hammons guard Williams, I'll love the matchup between Swanigan and Bryant.

All the experts along with pretty much everyone else around the country must purposefully be hating on Purdue by putting IU ahead of them, right? Most early polls have them ranked behind four or so other B10 teams. I guess they just want to dog Purdue fans right? It couldn't possibly be they can look at things objectively. And before you tell me to look at things objectively, I've already said I think you guys are going to be very good this year. I just don't buy that you guys are real contenders. I don't think IU is either. I think Purdue and IU will finish in the 3-5 range.

And just for a reminder, this type of downplay was said about Zeller. Hell, we had plenty of people here who said Travis Carroll was going to dominate Zeller. And we had countless battles about Ronnie Johnson being better than Yogi. Talk about being objective...LOL
You care way too much about what other people say. I trust my eyes. You fail to come to the realization that Purdue was a much better team than IU, last year. I don't know how much of an impact Swanigan will have on our team. I do know that we didn't lose much and our freshmen will be better as sophomores. Your freshmen will be better too, and Bryant will equal a senior Perea. BUT, you have to remember, Purdue will be better and IU will be better, but Purdue was already MUCH better. That means that Purdue will still be MUCH better than IU. IU can't upgrade the exact same as Purdue (just to humor you) and somehow jump a team that was already much better than them. It doesn't work that way in the real world. The media will say IU is better so one of the largest basketball fanbases in America will click on their sites.

Williams will destroy Swaningan. And if you switch and let Hammons guard Williams, I'll love the matchup between Swanigan and Bryant.
We'll do exactly what we did last year. We'll play off Williams and let him miss outside shots. We'll also let Bryant miss outside shots. We play team defense. TEAM. I know thats hard to comprehend for IU fans, but I'll take Biggie and Hammons all day every day over Bryant and Williams.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
We'll do exactly what we did last year. We'll play off Williams and let him miss outside shots. We'll also let Bryant miss outside shots. We play team defense. TEAM. I know thats hard to comprehend for IU fans, but I'll take Biggie and Hammons all day every day over Bryant and Williams.
That's fine. And I'll take Yogi, Blackmon Jr and Johnson over your 1-3 all day every day.

You care way too much about what other people say. I trust my eyes. You fail to come to the realization that Purdue was a much better team than IU, last year. I don't know how much of an impact Swanigan will have on our team. I do know that we didn't lose much and our freshmen will be better as sophomores. Your freshmen will be better too, and Bryant will equal a senior Perea. BUT, you have to remember, Purdue will be better and IU will be better, but Purdue was already MUCH better. That means that Purdue will still be MUCH better than IU. IU can't upgrade the exact same as Purdue (just to humor you) and somehow jump a team that was already much better than them. It doesn't work that way in the real world. The media will say IU is better so one of the largest basketball fanbases in America will click on their sites.
Purdue was an average team last year. And that makes IU a worse team than that, which I get. In your last 10 games you beat IU, Rutgers x2, Nebraska, Illinois and Penn State. You got beat by MSU, OSU, thumped by Wisky and lost to Cinci. That's not exactly a powerhouse performance at the end of the year but that's the basis for everyone's predictions here. Yes you were a better team than IU. Great. We weren't that good either. Now all of a sudden you're going to go from a 21 win team to contend for a B10 title without addressing your biggest question marks? You play a much harder schedule this year in the B10 and the B10 overall is going to be improved.

The fact that you can't see how things will be better for IU with Bryant discredits anything else you have to say. Everyone here trashed Perea. You all have since he got to IU and didn't produce from day one. Now he suddenly is going to be something missed. I'll leave you with Bryant will be an upgrade, without any doubt. He'll provide the presence we need on defense which will be a huge boost to our overall defense. We won't have guys playing out of position or over helping to hide out lack of defensive presence inside the paint. The fact you can't understand that shows how little you know about basketball or just don't care to admit. Will it be enough to get IU into the top 3 of the B10? Not sure, but it sure as $hit will get us into a position to play for it. IU adding a competent big man in Bryant who is a McDonald's All American (who typically can come in and produce right away but for some reason you discount) means a whole lot more to our TEAM than Purdue adding Swanigan to an already tough front court. See the difference? We addressed our biggest weakness. You just added to a strength while ignoring your biggest question mark/weakness going into next year. So yes, it's 100% possible for us to jump you guys next year. I'm clearly not the only ones who see that happening.

You guys can save this post if you want. I wouldn't be surprised to see Purdue finish fourth or fifth behind Maryland, MSU, IU and UM. I could also see Purdue as high as third.

Purdue was an average team last year. And that makes IU a worse team than that, which I get. In your last 10 games you beat IU, Rutgers x2, Nebraska, Illinois and Penn State. You got beat by MSU, OSU, thumped by Wisky and lost to Cinci. That's not exactly a powerhouse performance at the end of the year but that's the basis for everyone's predictions here. Yes you were a better team than IU. Great. We weren't that good either. Now all of a sudden you're going to go from a 21 win team to contend for a B10 title without addressing your biggest question marks? You play a much harder schedule this year in the B10 and the B10 overall is going to be improved.

The fact that you can't see how things will be better for IU with Bryant discredits anything else you have to say. Everyone here trashed Perea. You all have since he got to IU and didn't produce from day one. Now he suddenly is going to be something missed. I'll leave you with Bryant will be an upgrade, without any doubt. He'll provide the presence we need on defense which will be a huge boost to our overall defense. We won't have guys playing out of position or over helping to hide out lack of defensive presence inside the paint. The fact you can't understand that shows how little you know about basketball or just don't care to admit. Will it be enough to get IU into the top 3 of the B10? Not sure, but it sure as $hit will get us into a position to play for it. IU adding a competent big man in Bryant who is a McDonald's All American (who typically can come in and produce right away but for some reason you discount) means a whole lot more to our TEAM than Purdue adding Swanigan to an already tough front court. See the difference? We addressed our biggest weakness. You just added to a strength while ignoring your biggest question mark/weakness going into next year. So yes, it's 100% possible for us to jump you guys next year. I'm clearly not the only ones who see that happening.

You guys can save this post if you want. I wouldn't be surprised to see Purdue finish fourth or fifth behind Maryland, MSU, IU and UM. I could also see Purdue as high as third.
What a waste of your time. You should've just copied and pasted one of the other thousand times you answered with this nonsense. So many errors. It's as if you read the name on the post and skip all of the explanations as to why your view sounds canned.
I tend to agree with Mathboy. Until IU or Michigan can show that they have a decent team, they are most likely both mid pack teams at best. Speculation about players who "may" perform compared to that of players who have shown their abilities is just that, speculation. Mostly hoping and parroting, but you get the point.

I have to agree with this. From what I've seen, Williams should be a really good matchup for Swanigan.

That's fine. And I'll take Yogi, Blackmon Jr and Johnson over your 1-3 all day every day.
You're stuck with them, so you have to! Ray and Edwards shut down Blackmon and Johnson last year. Yogi can't win a game to save his life (as witnessed many times last year), so I'm happy with what we got. So, we'll look at it this way:

Hammons over Bryant (by a long shot)
Biggie over Williams (by quite a bit)
Edwards over Johnson (by quite a bit)
Ray over Blackmon (by a lot)
You got Yogi - at least on offense. He can't play defense though.

Add to that, Purdue plays great team D while, well, you know how IU plays defense. Then, take a look at our benches!!! We win hands down on paper and on the court.

And again, you have no thoughts of your own. You regurgitate what the 'experts' say and the results from your internet polls as if they are facts. And anyone who disagrees must be an idiot. LOL! The irony.

We should just skip the 2015-16 season and let Snuie select the champion with one of his polls.

You're stuck with them, so you have to! Ray and Edwards shut down Blackmon and Johnson last year. Yogi can't win a game to save his life (as witnessed many times last year), so I'm happy with what we got. So, we'll look at it this way:

Hammons over Bryant (by a long shot)
Biggie over Williams (by quite a bit)
Edwards over Johnson (by quite a bit)
Ray over Blackmon (by a lot)

You got Yogi - at least on offense. He can't play defense though.

Add to that, Purdue plays great team D while, well, you know how IU plays defense. Then, take a look at our benches!!! We win hands down on paper and on the court.
I just laughed really hard at the bold above. Thanks! Hopefully you don't honestly believe the crap you wrote.

I'll take Johnson. You can have the other two who are impressive athletes but clearly playing for their own agenda. Nothing like watching JBJ hunt shots so he keeps his average up.

I have actually seen SNU on the main basketball board. He seems to be a bit more humble. I've been thinking about being a little mean to him. SInce he had a habit of calling names like "Methboy" I owe him a few. What do you guys think?

:cool:

Reactions: Dryfly88 and punaj
I have actually seen SNU on the main basketball board. He seems to be a bit more humble. I've been thinking about being a little mean to him. SInce he had a habit of calling names like "Methboy" I owe him a few. What do you guys think?

Chopper, sick balls!

You don't have to be mean. Just ask him to provide a logical explanation for what happened to all of the experts predictions from the pre-season.

With all due respect, SNU was an idiot. Yes everyteam has overly optimistic fans so I can excuse him for overrating IU a bit. What I couldn't stand about his posts were how his proofs always were always polls or expert opinions. He has no original thought, no reasoning ability, doesn't appear to listen to other peoples arguments or maybe he does and find them to hard to understand. He just kept parroting that same rubbish "everybody on the main board or experts says this, it must be right." How stupid! How many experts really pay attention to the intricacies of teams that don't get national attention. For teams like Purdue, national "experts" are usually late to the party in recognizing how good they are.

What really is amazing in this thread is how many people got it spot on way back in summer. Somebody called it that it would be MSU, Purdue and Maryland at the top. Another person rightly mentioned that IUs defensive problem goes beyond a personnel problem. Adding a stud big man does not automatically solved their wholes team's inability to defend. Strong basketball minds here. I am sure IU has some as well, SNU is def not one. I wonder if he uses national polls to determine if he should ask the customer if he wants fries with that.

With all due respect, SNU was an idiot. Yes everyteam has overly optimistic fans so I can excuse him for overrating IU a bit. What I couldn't stand about his posts were how his proofs always were always polls or expert opinions. He has no original thought, no reasoning ability, doesn't appear to listen to other peoples arguments or maybe he does and find them to hard to understand. He just kept parroting that same rubbish "everybody on the main board or experts says this, it must be right." How stupid! How many experts really pay attention to the intricacies of teams that don't get national attention. For teams like Purdue, national "experts" are usually late to the party in recognizing how good they are.
This. And unlike you giving him slack, he refused to allow fans of other schools to be optimistic about their own school if it went against the opinion of his "experts". The experts, for the most part, are proven to be fools every year. And anyone who builds their case based on what the fools say is a bigger fool.

Reactions: punaj
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT