ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Reason Brohm Isn’t Leaving

Jul 9, 2005
RONDALE MOORE

Look at the relationship Jeff and Rondale have built. Rondale played for Jeff’s Dad in HS and put a lot of trust in each other with him coming to Purdue. No way he leaves Rondale hung out to dry and Rondale wouldnt be sitting out a year as a transfer either.

Reactions: TheGunner
RONDALE MOORE

Look at the relationship Jeff and Rondale have built. Rondale played for Jeff’s Dad in HS and put a lot of trust in each other with him coming to Purdue. No way he leaves Rondale hung out to dry and Rondale wouldnt be sitting out a year as a transfer either.
So playing football at Purdue without Brohm equates to being “hung out to dry”?

Got it.

RONDALE MOORE

I wish it was that easy.

All I’m saying is Rondale Moore is at Purdue because of Jeff Brohm... not because he was going to be here for any other reason. Yes, Coach leaving would be hanging Moore out to dry...let’s face it.

I believe he stays and this is a very big reason why (which I’m hoping is the case). Rondale has some pull on this that very few recruits have on a coach in this position.

All I’m saying is Rondale Moore is at Purdue because of Jeff Brohm... not because he was going to be here for any other reason. Yes, Coach leaving would be hanging Moore out to dry...let’s face it.

I believe he stays and this is a very big reason why (which I’m hoping is the case). Rondale has some pull on this that very few recruits have on a coach in this position.
The L'ville job wasn't staring him in the face when he recruited Moore. Apparently he is considering it now or he would just say he is not interested.

RONDALE MOORE

You don't make a career or family decision based on 1 kid that is presently on your team. Sounds cruel, but that would be a pretty dumb reason not go if all the other cards lined up.
I'm hoping like no other that Brohm stays, but I don't think that would be the main reason that he stays. May be one of the deciding factors, but not the most important one. Just based on what I've seen from Brohm, I'm guessing his decision will be based on family first and career second. All the other stuff is just part of the pros/cons list.

That’s not a smart business move.
Brohm is not about the money, already in the top 30 nationwide. How much can u pay a coach that is batting 500? When the results get better I'm sure Bobo will compensate him. He already has once.

Brohm is not about the money, already in the top 30 nationwide. How much can u pay a coach that is batting 500? When the results get better I'm sure Bobo will compensate him. He already has once.

Why piss away leverage. Money isn’t his primary motivation, but I’m sure it’s important

Brohm might not appear to be about the money, but it's always about the money. UL will wave $5mil in front of him if that's what it takes. I think MBob would match it and increase asst coach salaries if that guarantees him staying.

Why piss away leverage. Money isn’t his primary motivation, but I’m sure it’s important
Leverage in both job opportunity $$$'s and recruits. CJB has all the leverage to get a Big payday. The difficulty with this is how many more times will Purdue have to hear this poaching pitch before it becomes real?
Hopefully, MBOB has a short list of Quality coaches that uses Purdue's style of spread offense attack to win games vs. the 2-3 yard cloud of dust that we've seen previously.

Brohm might not appear to be about the money, but it's always about the money. UL will wave $5mil in front of him if that's what it takes. I think MBob would match it and increase asst coach salaries if that guarantees him staying.
Pete Thamel saying Purdue could go up to $7-8M seemed nuts. But yes, Brohm is getting a better raise than I am this year regardless of what school he’s the coach.

Reactions: Frankie611
Pete Thamel saying Purdue could go up to $7-8M seemed nuts. But yes, Brohm is getting a better raise than I am this year regardless of what school he’s the coach.
Forgive me for the blasphemy, but is Brohm worth $7-$8M a year? Even if we can afford it?
That's a top 5 paid coach nationally. I mean, for that price tag you basically HAVE TO win the Big Ten in the next 3-4 years. Maybe even a CFP appearance or two. Those are some tall expectations. Would love to see it happen, but based on the objective evidence I am seeing 8 or 9 win seasons as a more likely. I love the offense, but we've seen what can happen in the elements of November without a run game. I love the recruiting, but we're still not appealing to the big guys in the trenches that you need to consistently win in the Big Ten. I love our coach, but how high do you go and what else is on the market for that kind of money?

Reactions: boilermaker1975
Forgive me for the blasphemy, but is Brohm worth $7-$8M a year? Even if we can afford it?
That's a top 5 paid coach nationally. I mean, for that price tag you basically HAVE TO win the Big Ten in the next 3-4 years. Maybe even a CFP appearance or two. Those are some tall expectations. Would love to see it happen, but based on the objective evidence I am seeing 8 or 9 win seasons as a more likely. I love the offense, but we've seen what can happen in the elements of November without a run game. I love the recruiting, but we're still not appealing to the big guys in the trenches that you need to consistently win in the Big Ten. I love our coach, but how high do you go and what else is on the market for that kind of money?

I think $5.5MM guaranteed and incentives (recruiting, top 25, top 10, bowl, NYD bowl, CFP and CFP wins) should all be options to get Brohm near $7MM.

Why is it nuts? Just because we've never paid a coach that much? This is the world we live in. If that's what it takes to keep a top 10 coach, then you either pay up or lose him.
The amount of brand equity Brohm has helped develop, not to mention putting asses in the seats and all the additional $ that comes with full stadiums, no amount of $ should seem crazy.

Serious question: How does it affect you whether Purdue pays a coach $4mil or $8mil?
Season ticket prices go up a few bucks? Big deal....
Concessions prices go up? Oh well.

Why is it nuts? Just because we've never paid a coach that much? This is the world we live in. If that's what it takes to keep a top 10 coach, then you either pay up or lose him.
The amount of brand equity Brohm has helped develop, not to mention putting asses in the seats and all the additional $ that comes with full stadiums, no amount of $ should seem crazy.
You want to compete with the big boys, you have to act like the big boys.

Coaches leave their own recruited players all of the time.

Jimbo Fisher left a roster with like 30 five stars, all of whom came to play for Jimbo, not Taggart.

Reactions: BPGhost
Serious question: How does it affect you whether Purdue pays a coach $4mil or $8mil?
Season ticket prices go up a few bucks? Big deal....
Concessions prices go up? Oh well.
The point was for $7 or $8 million (if that is realistic) is he the best you can do? That is practically Urban Meyer money.

None - it's real this time.
I know it is real. What I meant to convey was imminent leaving. CJB is and has been a great coach for Purdue & WKU. There have been a few slip ups (MN & Rutgers) yet has done a great job so far. If Purdue wins 1 of the next 2 weeks, he meets the bowl elgibility and exceeds most expectations after losing a majority of defensive personnel from last year. Pounding O$U was both the whipped creme and cherry on top of this Sundae season. I want him to continue to be our head coach for as long as possible. At some point, even high valued employees of corporations either stay or move on while chasing their next dream or higher pay. CJB and his agent likely know he can get another big payday contract adjustment thru Purdue and has every right to do so. At some point, expectations go higher. I hope he is ready to accept that challenge and stay with us. The 2019 class is loaded to make that happen in or around the 2020 timeline.
I don't want to think of what happens if going Home is imminent. This is definitely soap opera drama for the Purdue fanbase.

Reactions: BPGhost

Tough going all-in this early on Brohm. If he doesn't choose to go to Louisville because Purdue waives that money in his face, it'll be because Brohm is auditioning for an elite/blue blood job. There's only a few programs in America who are going to buy out that kind of contract and they are only going to do it if Brohm is winning 9,10 games a year consistently. Not saying it will happen, but it could potentially be crippling if you're stuck with a coach making that kind of money who under-performs.

That’s why I thought it was nuts. Thamel’s point is that Purdue could go that high with B1G revenue predictions and price Louisville out. I agree with others money won’t be the driving factor but we should go strong after him and at least make him think about it - and understand how much he’s wanted here.

My take hasn’t really changed even with all of the wonderful input from our southern friends on this board. Only JB knows how much he wants to go back and if he wants it, we won’t stop it. I still think he’s the type of person who knows he has a good gig but hasn’t accomplished the goals he set for it yet and I think that is what might keep him. He can go retire at Louisville any time he wants in the next 20 years. He could leave here with buildings named after him and still ride out his career at his home school after accomplishing his goals here first. The Louisville will be open many times in the next 20 years. He’ll get his chance to go back home some day and still be a legend here for life. It is possible to be football royalty in two towns.

First off, let me say I have absolutely no idea if Brohm will leave Purdue or not. He doesn't strike me (from a great distance, admittedly) as being driven by money and U of L is currently a dumpster fire. However, many of us would feel the same as Bear Bryant when he said, "Momma called."

It's certainly not a given, but let's assume Brohm is is willing to stay at Purdue provided you match the money on offer from Louisville for both him and his staff. I'm curious to know your answers to the following:

1) Assume you bump Brohm up to $5M and give his staff a similar percentage raise. Do you feel Purdue must give Painter and his staff a similar package? My understanding is he makes about $2.5M with potential for about $800K in bonuses.

2) Would the general feeling on the Basketball board be different from that of Football board?

Reactions: mathboy
That’s why I thought it was nuts. Thamel’s point is that Purdue could go that high with B1G revenue predictions and price Louisville out. I agree with others money won’t be the driving factor but we should go strong after him and at least make him think about it - and understand how much he’s wanted here.

My take hasn’t really changed even with all of the wonderful input from our southern friends on this board. Only JB knows how much he wants to go back and if he wants it, we won’t stop it. I still think he’s the type of person who knows he has a good gig but hasn’t accomplished the goals he set for it yet and I think that is what might keep him. He can go retire at Louisville any time he wants in the next 20 years. He could leave here with buildings named after him and still ride out his career at his home school after accomplishing his goals here first. The Louisville will be open many times in the next 20 years. He’ll get his chance to go back home some day and still be a legend here for life. It is possible to be football royalty in two towns.
Not only will Jeff have an opportunity for the Louisville job in the future, but in the future he will be less likely to potentially block his brother from the job. I haven't seen it discussed much, but does anyone think UofL head coach might be Brian Brohm's dream job? He was a much bigger star as a player there than Jeff. If Jeff becomes entrenched there then Brian has to go somewhere else if he wants to be a HC. One of them probably isn't going to get to coach their hometown team any way you slice it. May be better to see how Brian's coaching career and opportunities play out the next few years before making a move you can make in the future.

Last edited:
From a Purdue standpoint-yeah you pay whatever it takes to retain him, because we've never had a coach like Brohm in the last 20 years, and personally I don't want to wait another 20. We're recruiting nationally in year 2 for gods sake, at Purdue. We've seem glimpses of this year of what Brohm can do, think about when he gets his guys. Its a big reason why Louisville is going all in-and if they miss they will go down the squirrel hole as well. One program will be competing for Championships, and one will go down to being a conference dweller. That's what at stake.

From a Purdue standpoint-yeah you pay whatever it takes to retain him, because we've never had a coach like Brohm in the last 20 years, and personally I don't want to wait another 20. We're recruiting nationally in year 2 for gods sake, at Purdue. We've seem glimpses of this year of what Brohm can do, think about when he gets his guys. Its a big reason why Louisville is going all in-and if they miss they will go down the squirrel hole as well. One program will be competing for Championships, and one will go down to being a conference dweller. That's what at stake.

I disagree. Yeah you may have to extend him a little this year, but you're potentially handcuffing Purdue football by committing $7-8mil a year after two years to a coach who is barely over .500. If you commit $7-8mil a year to Brohm as suggested by Thammel, you're pot-committed to Brohm for the next 5-6 years because you can't afford to fire him. And unless Brohm is winning 10+ games a year, I don't care who you are, that's not worth $7-8mil a year.

1) Assume you bump Brohm up to $5M and give his staff a similar percentage raise. Do you feel Purdue must give Painter and his staff a similar package? My understanding is he makes about $2.5M with potential for about $800K in bonuses.
I will guess Painter will think so and rightfully so.

NCAA FBS coaches at over $5M per yr in 2018;
Saban $ 11.1 mil
Swinney $ 8.5 mil
Harbaugh $ 7.0 mil
Meyer $ 6.4 mil
Fisher $ 5.7 mil
Shaw $ 5.7 mil
Herman $ 5.5 mil
Patterson $ 5.1
Sumlin $ 5.0

If you consider the less than steller results for the last (5) on this list, I would have only minor reservations in PU matching Sumlins pay. And when one considers the recruiting classes JB is starting to bring in compared to the bottom (5), I would feel thankful, if he stayed w/corresponding assist bumps.

Naturally, I would also be glad that its not my money, we are spending....

Last edited:
We might be down for for a year or two. The 2019 class would probably go down the tubes. But with a good hire and the new facilities recruiting would pick back up quickly. Brohm showed that transfers can be used to plug holes and win right away. And the new coach would be starting with equal or better talent than Brohm did. Instead of some sort of downward doomsday spiral I see a minor setback in the rebuild. Again, consider the coach you can get for that price tag. We aren't talking about going back to the days of Hazell. For $7M MBob can get a sure thing. You could probably pull from another P5 school with that money. One that might be able to bring some linemen with him to complement the speed on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT