ADVERTISEMENT

0-6 since firing Hazell

but he had proven time and time again that he not only should not have been there, but that he did not deserve to be there

True, but that statement could have been made at most any point in his time as Purdue head coach. Purdue still brought him back season after season.

So, if you wanted him gone, what difference did it make whether he were fired mid-year or after the Bucket game?
Let's say Haze got lucky and the team went 5-7. Would you have retained Hazell?

No. For that matter, I wouldn't have retained him at 6-6 either.

True, but that statement could have been made at most any point in his time as Purdue head coach. Purdue still brought him back season after season.
It did, but, that had more to do with the AD...and far more to do with not replacing said AD...there is one reason and only one reason that Hazell was back this year, and it was because Burke remained the AD and it was made clear to him that he would have no say in Hazell's successor...thus, Hazell being brought back yet again had nothing at all to do with Hazell.

That statement was made...multiple times...as early as his first year for that matter...some thought he was the wrong guy from the very outset, and maintained that for the course of his time there.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Let's also point out that the second half of Purdue's schedule was by far the more difficult.

Half the teams Haze faced are outside the P5; only 2 are bowl eligible. And Purdue was housed by a collective 64-7 in the first halves of those games --- highlighting Haze's inability to get the team prepared to face anything close to equal competition.

Parker, on the other hand (and with no head coaching experience), faced 6 B1G bowl teams, led a bonafide playoff contender at halftime, was within one possession with 5 minutes left @MN and led @IU more than halfway through the 4th quarter.

I respect Haze for grinding out the Illinois win. But other than that, the team got embarrassed every time it mattered under his leadership.

Reactions: DG10
Because there are people here who felt like they had to argue with me at the time and they are now being told they were wrong.
While that may be true, you've started a thread after every subsequent loss this year celebrating the fact that Parker didn't lead the team to victory, even though anyone with a lick of intelligence knew a victory over any team not named IU was going to be nearly impossible with Hazell, Parker, or the ghost of Lombardi coaching. I'm so glad the season is over just so we don't have to read any more posts about how you were right that Hazell shouldn't be fired mid-year year.

Trying to win an internet argument (against who exactly we're still unsure), is not worth mocking the players and staff (uninspired play, participation trophies etc) that were put in this situation and seemed to do quite well given the circumstances.

You'd get roasted on the other board with that type of sentiment

Reactions: EastCoastBoiler
Trying to win an internet argument (against who exactly we're still unsure), is not worth mocking the players and staff (uninspired play, participation trophies etc) that were put in this situation and seemed to do quite well given the circumstances.

You'd get roasted on the other board with that type of sentiment

What board is that? KHC? Been there and did that for well over a decade. Overrated in terms of the quality of fans that participate there. Not really any different from here. I'm no more worried about being "roasted" there than I am here. I don't form my opinions to try to win favor with a bunch of people I don't know beyond an internet message board.

Finally, it has been suggested by some that the players quit on Hazell which is why they were "inspired" to play a few close halves after he got fired. If that is so, then I see no reason why they shouldn't feel some criticism even though I feel like I'm mocking certain fans rather than players as you suggested.

If it's incorrect, it's only incorrect on a technicality, such as me saying "every". Maybe I'm misremembering and you were out of town one weekend...

You were wrong to say I celebrated at all. I'd have been happy to have been wrong and Parker to have been the magical elixir that wiped away the Hazell era overnight on our way to 9-3.

Also you said I started threads about it after each game. I'm not sure I started any but I could have started one. I'm certain I mentioned it along the way but mostly, if not entirely, in threads that already existed until this one.

Because there are people here who felt like they had to argue with me at the time and they are now being told they were wrong.
I'm fairly new around here and have no idea what you're referring to. Having said that - do you have any idea what your sentence above says about you? Something is obviously missing in your life that would cause you to start a thread to attempt to prove a person wrong who you don't know and who doesn't know you. Might be time to take a step back and reflect. Good luck to you!

I'm fairly new around here and have no idea what you're referring to. Having said that - do you have any idea what your sentence above says about you? Something is obviously missing in your life that would cause you to start a thread to attempt to prove a person wrong who you don't know and who doesn't know you. Might be time to take a step back and reflect. Good luck to you!

No doubt I am way too involved in this stuff. Won't deny that. I have an incredibly short fuse for stupidity. Character flaw of mine for sure.

No doubt I am way too involved in this stuff. Won't deny that. I have an incredibly short fuse for stupidity. Character flaw of mine for sure.

You just can't help projecting stupidity, and you have exactly zero evidence to support your argument (whatever it was).

He's definitely not a Purdue graduate, folks.

In a nutshell, he was one of about 5 Purdue "fans" on the entire internet who bashed realists (those who can understand statistics) for wanting Hazell to be canned mid-season. He kept going on and on about how a mid-season firing would never happen, etc. When the termination happened, this guy looked particularly foolish and then tried to twist the argument, claiming that those of us who wanted Hazell fired also expected an immediate, 180 degree turn in the on-field results. This couldn't be further from the truth, and you won't find anyone who stated as such. This thread is a sorry attempt to save face and nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT