ADVERTISEMENT

Zeke Nnaji's Visit

Oct 20, 2016
Any updates on how the visit went? Was he on campus yet for the basketball exhibition game? Hopefully he got to watch the entire Iowa game. Decent weather along with a great game I can only assume that would make a visit that much more enjoyable.

Any updates on how the visit went? Was he on campus yet for the basketball exhibition game? Hopefully he got to watch the entire Iowa game. Decent weather along with a great game I can only assume that would make a visit that much more enjoyable.

Pretty sure he wasn't at the exhibition. But, I was at the football game and kept an eye on him during the game. He was sitting with the basketball team in their usual spot. Painter was sitting with his parents. Zeke was sitting by Emmanuel and they seemed to be talking quite a bit and having a good time. Saw him smiling, laughing, and talking with other players also. Even stood up and clapped for some plays. Seemed to be enjoying himself. All the basketball players and coaches left at halftime and never returned, so beyond that point, I don't know what he did. I know Evan went to the Pacers game and I saw Nojel, Eric, and Carsen at the volleyball game. Don't know where Zeke might have been for the rest of the night.

UNC is meeting with him and his family tonight. I’m sure an offer is in the works there.

How could someone who allegedly values the academic aspects so much even speak to UNC? Given their history under Ol Roy, that's the absolute last place I would send my kid (besides lexintun, bluemintun, or east rapesing of course).

Reactions: Schnelk
UNC did offer last night, its on Twitter. Interesting to see how they will factor in with him making a decision in a few weeks. Whatever this kid thought coming off campus was probably overshadowed by UNC bum rushing him as soon as he got home. Hopefully we can lock him up.

Here's an article from Evan Daniels that has a bunch of quotes from his father about the Purdue visit and the UNC in-home visit.

https://t.co/uHk2aGgNDt
“It was the fifth and final trip. It was a great visit. Coach [Matt] Painter is an incredible cat. He’s just so relatable. He’s a straight up guy. He doesn’t mince words. He tells you exactly what he’s going to do.”

I love this about CMP. Sort of a contrarian play in this day and age. Zig while everyone else zags. Everyone else is telling the kid what they think he wants to hear, CMP tells the truth.

“It was the fifth and final trip. It was a great visit. Coach [Matt] Painter is an incredible cat. He’s just so relatable. He’s a straight up guy. He doesn’t mince words. He tells you exactly what he’s going to do.”

I love this about CMP. Sort of a contrarian play in this day and age. Zig while everyone else zags. Everyone else is telling the kid what they think he wants to hear, CMP tells the truth.

His dad seems like a smart guy. Hoping he can see through all this fluff from UNC and these other schools. And if he really values the importance of education, we are the unquestioned favorite.

As much as it says about Matt...it says about recruits that buy in. Not very interesting to those more self centered of which there are many. Zeke goes to Purdue...and they will be very good, but we all know that! The evolution continues...

compare the last few classes with before the budget increase adn the direction is good. Just need the magnitude to continue to grow

After reading the 247 article, I’m not too worried about the whole committing in the fall, then signing in the spring thing. Dude just wants to make the right call.

While we all like to hear nice things about Painter and his style, the question is: Does it produce the kind of results that's going to get Purdue the types of players that get teams to FF and NCs?
He (or someone else on the staff) has got to get enough sizzle into the pitch to overcome the objections (raised by Roy and UNC) about tourney success.

His dad seems like a smart guy. Hoping he can see through all this fluff from UNC and these other schools. And if he really values the importance of education, we are the unquestioned favorite.

Come on, let's be honest. Most top 50 guys are looking at their education being in the NBA. They might be around 1, 2 years and then they're gone. We really don't care if they graduate, we care if they win.

Come on, let's be honest. Most top 50 guys are looking at their education being in the NBA. They might be around 1, 2 years and then they're gone. We really don't care if they graduate, we care if they win.

No. I care about kids graduating, staying out of trouble, doing the right thing, and becoming responsible representatives of the University as much as I care about how many 3s they make, rebounds they grab, or assists they deliver.

So, no, we aren't all so Machiavellian as you.

If we go in there with the same pitch as UNC or Kansas, we are going to lose 99 times out of 100. When you are selling against the established brand names, you have to differentiate yourself from them.

He (or someone else on the staff) has got to get enough sizzle into the pitch to overcome the objections (raised by Roy and UNC) about tourney success.
Again, what does this mean? What should he say that you don't think he is already saying? What lever could he pull that would have the kid reject Kansas, Arizona, and UNC for Purdue? And please don't tell us he needs to be dishonest in his approach, because he won't do it.

Many of us believe that if Painter had half the talent that these three schools get, he would have already earned Final Four births and a National Championship. But it's like a new graduate trying to find work. Companies like your education, but pass you up for someone with experience. How do you get the experience if someone doesn't hire you? Recruiting the top talent is the same thing. We all know that if Painter gets a solid class, he's going to challenge for a FF, and then who knows? But he needs that one or two key player(s) to believe in him to get there.

If we go in there with the same pitch as UNC or Kansas, we are going to lose 99 times out of 100. When you are selling against the established brand names, you have to differentiate yourself from them.
Based on quotes from his dad I think Painter’s straight forward no BS approach is his differentiator.

Anyone can look at the roster at UNC packed full of 5* kids who ride the bench because they were sold a false bill of goods promising them playing time.

Maybe this works in our favor - maybe it doesn’t.

The way we differentiate ourselves from Kansas and UNC is by hammering home the immediate playing time and being "The Man" right away.

We should be telling him exactly what he wants to hear regarding position and playing style at the same time.

For example, Keion Brooks has been adamant that he sees himself as a big "2 guard". A lot of people question if that's actually possible or not, but the schools still in his recruitment are telling him they would definitely play him as a 2.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Again, what does this mean? What should he say that you don't think he is already saying? What lever could he pull that would have the kid reject Kansas, Arizona, and UNC for Purdue? And please don't tell us he needs to be dishonest in his approach, because he won't do it.

Many of us believe that if Painter had half the talent that these three schools get, he would have already earned Final Four births and a National Championship. But it's like a new graduate trying to find work. Companies like your education, but pass you up for someone with experience. How do you get the experience if someone doesn't hire you? Recruiting the top talent is the same thing. We all know that if Painter gets a solid class, he's going to challenge for a FF, and then who knows? But he needs that one or two key player(s) to believe in him to get there.
Here is the rub with all of this as well. A long time ago when Painter was held back by budgeting, many of the same posters complaining now were complaining then that Painter didn't go after enough high profile players.

Well now he is and just who do you think he has to recruit against? Yeah the "blue bloods" of basketball and selling Purdue over those universities is going to be VERY difficult. It worked with Biggie, but that is not going to be the norm for us and 300+ other schools.

This is the same old "chicken and the egg" argument. However, CMP can get more out of 3 and 4 stars and turn them in to elite type players as we have seen him do time and time again. Which will lead to deeper runs in the tourney and make Purdue the place to be. I know everyone has a different time table and wants the instant gratification sooner rather than later, but it's going to happen under Painter.

We are seeing this year a complete change in offense and showcasing it this year and building for the future.

Based on quotes from his dad I think Painter’s straight forward no BS approach is his differentiator.

Anyone can look at the roster at UNC packed full of 5* kids who ride the bench because they were sold a false bill of goods promising them playing time.

Yes - the No BS approach is definitely the differentiator. Not to mention the right way to do things.

I think whether it works or not depends on the player being recruited, but there is no way I think Painter can know that going in.

I look at Hall and wonder though because I would be surprised if Painter didn't tell him he essentially could start from day one..... maybe not using the term "would" instead of "could" was enough to cause doubt. And whizzo probably did what you said and sold him some BS.

Just speculation on my part of course.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The way we differentiate ourselves from Kansas and UNC is by hammering home the immediate playing time and being "The Man" right away.

We should be telling him exactly what he wants to hear regarding position and playing style at the same time.

For example, Keion Brooks has been adamant that he sees himself as a big "2 guard". A lot of people question if that's actually possible or not, but the schools still in his recruitment are telling him they would definitely play him as a 2.
And if CMP doesn’t see KBJ as a 2?

And if CMP doesn’t see KBJ as a 2?
He still tells him he could be a 2 at Purdue. If he comes to Purdue and Painter is able to turn him into an AA 3, and Purdue goes far in the tournament, then KBJ won't care whether he was played at the 2 or not.

It's exactly what happened with Biggie. Painter promised him he would be a PF, but during his AA season he spent most of the time at the 5. Painter didn't lie to him. He tried him at the 4 to begin with. It was found that he was more effective at the 5, and that lead to an AA season as well as a 1st rd draft selection.

Until they don't . . . but it's too late for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT