ADVERTISEMENT

You'd think they'd learn...way too early top 25 has MSU on top and Purdue isn't listed

These really are garbage. But to OP - yes its a discussion. Iowa ahead of us?? These are just a name game thing, clearly, but worth the discussion. Thanks for posting.

Lunardi’s first bracket is out - yes, you heard me - and he has us a 4 seed playing in Albany. That sounds about right for a starting point next year. But if we had a grad transfer to our rotation, I think our upside is higher than that.

Lunardi’s first bracket is out - yes, you heard me - and he has us a 4 seed playing in Albany. That sounds about right for a starting point next year. But if we had a grad transfer to our rotation, I think our upside is higher than that.
Still a 4 seed would be pretty great. Way too early to even speculate but I think we surprise again next season.

Reactions: Boiler_Pete99
Still a 4 seed would be pretty great. Way too early to even speculate but I think we surprise again next season.
Surprise others perhaps...no reason to think that they will not have another solid season and be in the mix in the conference. Purdue is virtually ALWAYS overlooked and discounted...it is just accepted at this point.

At least IU did not appear on the list...

Maryland could look vastly different next year if guys declare (namely Fernando and Smith).

Iowa looks to be good on paper...but, they actually have to play the game(s) at some point and that is where they have had some issues (especially late in the season).

MSU #1 is a bit ambitious seemingly...admittedly, I don't know who/what they add as freshman, but, they are losing two key guys in McQuaid and Goins, and, Nick Ward is incredibly overrated. Winston being back is going to make them very good regardless, but, I am hard pressed to believe that they are genuinely the best team heading into next season.

Reactions: Purdue85
It's almost a pointless exercise to do this now, but it gets people talking about next year continually which I don't have a problem with at all. I've heard a lot of people touting Iowa going into next year. I guess they don't lose hardly anything and McCaffrey's next kid is a 4-star.

MSU will be very good with Winston and Ward back, which it sounds like they will be. Goins graduating means more time for Tillman, who is really good. They can replace McQuaid, although he was a very underrated defender considering his game to most was shooting 3s a la Cline. Is Langford done?

Michigan only loses Matthews out of its significant players AFAIK. I don't expect Iggy to go pro.

Lunardi had 9 B1G teams in his bracket, including both Michigan's as 1-seeds. No IU. Maryland faces some huge question marks with Fernando and Smith. I don't see Wisconsin being that good without Happ but they normally surprise in these times. He has Penn State in and I'm still wondering how things shake out there with Chambers.

Surprise others perhaps...no reason to think that they will not have another solid season and be in the mix in the conference. Purdue is virtually ALWAYS overlooked and discounted...it is just accepted at this point.

At least IU did not appear on the list...

Maryland could look vastly different next year if guys declare (namely Fernando and Smith).

Iowa looks to be good on paper...but, they actually have to play the game(s) at some point and that is where they have had some issues (especially late in the season).

MSU #1 is a bit ambitious seemingly...admittedly, I don't know who/what they add as freshman, but, they are losing two key guys in McQuaid and Goins, and, Nick Ward is incredibly overrated. Winston being back is going to make them very good regardless, but, I am hard pressed to believe that they are genuinely the best team heading into next season.

Nick Ward is the only one I player I see MSU losing and with the way Tillman came on down the stretch may not impact them at all. They return Cassius Winston whom I'm guessing may be preseason POY on top of bringing in a 5* guard and Malik Hall. Don't forget Langford is back from injury who averaged nearly 16 ppg and I think Aaron Henry is going to absolutely blow up.

As far as Maryland goes, believe has already made it his intention to return to school and not even test the waters while I believe Fernando is probably gone.

Pretty sure I read Tyler Cook is declaring and hiring an agent so that hurts Iowa a bunch.

Remember they can have an agent and still come back now with the new rules. I thought Cook's lean was to return.

Nick Ward is the only one I player I see MSU losing and with the way Tillman came on down the stretch may not impact them at all. They return Cassius Winston whom I'm guessing may be preseason POY on top of bringing in a 5* guard and Malik Hall. Don't forget Langford is back from injury who averaged nearly 16 ppg and I think Aaron Henry is going to absolutely blow up.

As far as Maryland goes, believe has already made it his intention to return to school and not even test the waters while I believe Fernando is probably gone.

Pretty sure I read Tyler Cook is declaring and hiring an agent so that hurts Iowa a bunch.
Admittedly, I had forgot about Langford returning...so, with Winston, Henry and Tillman, that is a very nice core group. I think Ward will be back actually...so, if he is, then I do see them as the conference favorite, but, I am still not sold on them being the #1 team in the country. Top 5 though likely with those guys and adding Hall.

I just saw where Smith announced yesterday that he would be returning...I am a little surprised, but, good for him (and, really good for Maryland for sure). Maryland arguably was as talented as anyone in the conference this year...and, will be good again a year from now.

MSU, UM, Purdue, Maryland were all at the top this year, and, could be again next year...with Iowa in the mix potentially. Minnesota will be there likely as well, and, OSU is going to be better. Next year may look a lot like this year...and, regardless of the order of finish, the B1G should be really good and solid again.

If being rated #1 means favorite to win the tournament,it's hard to rate any Big team #1 given the 20-year gap since MSU won. But if it is a fun look ahead ok on MSU. Folks forget what an offensive talent Langford is and was their best defensive wing. If everyone comes back and MSU adds two top 100 players, they will be good. One of the additions is a guard who may be able to spell Winston, a big need that showed up against TTU pressure, wore Winston out.

Reactions: MGC_07
Badger fan here...

MSU belongs as the top B1G team. Cassius, Henry, Tillman are good enough already to give them the edge. If Langford or Ward are back and healthy and they get others to contribute, they should be the favorite.

I put Purdue 2nd. I like the talent returning and Painter is the best, yes best coach in the league IMO. Really liked the freshman class and they will be very good next year.

I put Michigan 3rd. They really need to either shoot better or get one great shooter. The D is fantastic but against better teams they have trouble putting up enough points.

Maryland is possibly the most talented, but they get 4th. Not convinced Turgeon gets the most out of his group.

Iowa should be 5th, though I actually think their talent is possibly as high as 3rd. Fran is a horrible coach.

From there on, teams 6-11 are an interesting mix. All of these teams look to be about 11-9 to 8-12 and my view is that the schedule will determine the actual order. If I had to guess today, I would put OSU at 6 mostly because they have some desirable freshman coming in. Then my Badgers. Followed by PSU, Rutgers, Illinois & Minnesota.

Indiana is one step down from that group. Probably about 6-7 wins in league play. Just not convinced that program has the ability to win on the road at all yet.

The bottom 2 are Nebraska and NW. These programs are decent enough for bottom of the league but they are going to get beatdown next year. I have a hard time seeing more than 4-5 wins for either.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I think this whole concept is just plain silly until after the draft. For example, Michigan could be anywhere from top 10 to out of the top 25 depending on the decisions of Iggy, Poole, and Matthews.

Preseason rankings are ridiculous. It's not an award or a trophy, it's just something to get fans excited and keep reading articles. I don't know if MSU is the #1 team or not, actually I prefer that they're not. Need something to work toward over the season. Not everyone telling you that you're awesome and suck if you don't win everything.

I realize this is all a crap shoot, and so is Purdue next year. I am really eager to see what kind of team we'll be w/out Edwards, Cline, and Eifert, especially CE. That's a lot of scoring and play making to replace.
So was the previous years scoring seniors that left. We did just fine. With Matt Painter as the head coach I'm not worried. He learned from his early mistakes in his career.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT