ADVERTISEMENT

YOU knew it was coming

lovelyblonde

True Freshman
Aug 27, 2018
Most knew our first loss was going to happen soon. We can break down where are weaknesses are and hope we get better. All in all this team wasn't supposed to be 13 and 0 before this Rutgers game. It's big ten time and if you have been following bball , you know Rutgers has one of the top defenses. I expect freshman to faulter at times. They haven't seen this type of play one would think . Hoping next game will be better, but life in the big 10 is brutal.

Most knew our first loss was going to happen soon. We can break down where are weaknesses are and hope we get better. All in all this team wasn't supposed to be 13 and 0 before this Rutgers game. It's big ten time and if you have been following bball , you know Rutgers has one of the top defenses. I expect freshman to faulter at times. They haven't seen this type of play one would think . Hoping next game will be better, but life in the big 10 is brutal.

Well, I thought this team would win every home game. A top 5 team should hold home court imo. & I still think they are relatively in the category of top 5 if refed fairly....(ie no C. Green)

The loss came one game early imo, as away games one would think as potential losses. I had the next 2 games as their losses. But maybe this loss will piss them off and they start another run?

Reactions: indyogb
Well, I thought this team would win every home game. A top 5 team should hold home court imo. & I still think they are relatively in the category of top 5 if refed fairly....(ie no C. Green)

The loss came one game early imo, as away games one would think as potential losses. I had the next 2 games as their losses. But maybe this loss will piss them off and they start another run?
You did , even with people picking us middle of the pack in the big ten early on? I do think we will be more motivated now with a loss. I was worried about Rutgers more than Ohio state to be honest, but I am worried about playing against Pickett from Penn state. If they call fouls fair and don't penalize Edey, Ohio state has nobody to really guard him . Just need to watch out for that freshman who has been playing well.

We’ve been spoiled by Purdue’s success at home over the years, but I don’t think it’s common for Big Ten teams to go undefeated at home.

We’ve been spoiled by Purdue’s success at home over the years, but I don’t think it’s common for Big Ten teams to go undefeated at home.
I'd like to see the stats on home losses when the students aren't there. Not blaming the fill-in fans, mind you!!

Well, yes, I guess I sorta am. :)

fox tv GIF by Rosewood

Minnesota beat us at home on Jan 1, 2017 when we had Biggie. We wound up winning the B1G that year but it leaves little room for error.

I think Painter mentioned that specific game in the post-game presser, TX4GB. Nate Mason went off, and Purdue lost in OT. Biggie had a monster game too 20+/20+ double-double.

Reactions: TX4GB and rgarlitz
I thought the first loss would come somewhere in this three-game stretch (Rutgers, @OSU, @PSU). In all honesty, though, I thought Rutgers was the least likely. Purdue better rebound quickly. This could easily turn into a 3-game slide.

The Big Ten season is here. Nothing comes easy for the rest of the season. It's time to Boiler Up and get the job done.

Generally not. The other side of that is if you drop one early, there's little margin for error - and still some tough ones coming up that are no guaranteed victories.

Now.....with that - if you were going to predict a home loss, Rutgers would be one of the prime candidates, IMO....not the end of the world and maybe a blessing in disguise - it's up to the players and coaches to show that moving forward.

It is very common for top 5 teams to go undefeated at home though, way more than not, regardless of conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
I think Painter mentioned that specific game in the post-game presser, TX4GB. Nate Mason went off, and Purdue lost in OT. Biggie had a monster game too 20+/20+ double-double.
I'm still seeing him driving on the left side of the lane second half with some pullups and maybe floaters???? and scoring as though PJ wasn't around...

Generally not. The other side of that is if you drop one early, there's little margin for error - and still some tough ones coming up that are no guaranteed victories.

Now.....with that - if you were going to predict a home loss, Rutgers would be one of the prime candidates, IMO....not the end of the world and maybe a blessing in disguise - it's up to the players and coaches to show that moving forward.
I also wonder at what time (because some of this has went on for a while this year) more specific language is used on shooting conditions that still doesn't eliminate shooting, but helps define for the players what is a good shot and when that is a good shot? You're on that tightwire act where you want them comfortable shooting it, but not so comfortable that they let it fly anytime, if someone is not instantly in their grill. The second half shots were much better looks...

I also wonder at what time (because some of this has went on for a while this year) more specific language is used on shooting conditions that still doesn't eliminate shooting, but helps define for the players what is a good shot and when that is a good shot? You're on that tightwire act where you want them comfortable shooting it, but not so comfortable that they let it fly anytime, if someone is not instantly in their grill. The second half shots were much better looks...

Painter also mentioned in the post-game comments that some of them (mostly first half) was that the passes were not very good......but he often talks about being ready to shoot, so that if the ball is delivered (how it should be).....a good shot can be taken in rhythm. IF they're doing that and not falling, he's got no complaints......and he reiterated, he trusts his players.....every single one of them taking the deep ones.

Upon further reflection, this team is ahead of the curve to me, but it definitely has its shortcomings and plenty of room to improve. Also maybe not a bad thing ZE got more experience dealing with some foul trouble - it will happen again, we pretty much know that.

Also, that early one with Fletcher Loyer on the swinger play was the first time I saw that in awhile......more of what they ran sometimes for Sasha Stefanovic, Dakota Mathias, and Kendall Stephens. It's a tough shot sometimes, and he struggled with that attempt, candidly......really like his second half attempts and the one that briefly put Purdue ahead under 30 secs.....maybe that gets him going more.

I'm still seeing him driving on the left side of the lane second half with some pullups and maybe floaters???? and scoring as though PJ wasn't around...

Painter also mentioned in the post-game comments that some of them (mostly first half) was that the passes were not very good......but he often talks about being ready to shoot, so that if the ball is delivered (how it should be).....a good shot can be taken in rhythm. IF they're doing that and not falling, he's got no complaints......and he reiterated, he trusts his players.....every single one of them taking the deep ones.

Upon further reflection, this team is ahead of the curve to me, but it definitely has its shortcomings and plenty of room to improve. Also maybe not a bad thing ZE got more experience dealing with some foul trouble - it will happen again, we pretty much know that.

Also, that early one with Fletcher Loyer on the swinger play was the first time I saw that in awhile......more of what they ran sometimes for Sasha Stefanovic, Dakota Mathias, and Kendall Stephens. It's a tough shot sometimes, and he struggled with that attempt, candidly......really like his second half attempts and the one that briefly put Purdue ahead under 30 secs.....maybe that gets him going more.
Yeah we all know the effects of a bad pass on a shooter. Matt cannot see into the mind of a player. A player just may not be ready to shoot for a lot of reasons when it appears he has a bit of space. That player shouldn't shoot at that time...even if open. It should come in the flow and in rhythm and the player comfortable at that moment. Matt can only see if he has space. Obviously if you have "good shooters" and if the "shots appear to be open" and if "misses accumulate for a few games" there has to be a disconnect between what Matt sees with space and the actual shot the particular shooter takes. When the misses keep accumulating behind the arc...many times Purdue gets nothing out of that possession. In some instances Purdue would be better off just using the whole clock and handing the other team the ball on those misses to set the D. Not advocating that ;) although is the final seconds of a close game it may be mathematically a more sound decision. ;)

You have that balancing act between players shooting with confidence (Matt sees the spacing) and yet curbing some of those decisions that lead to poor shooting numbers behind the arc.

The 50/50 balls killed us. Every time there was a loose ball or a call made on balls knocked out of bounds, etc, Rutgers got the call. There were 3 calls in the first half that stood out to me where the calls as inbounds or out of bounds were missed by the officials. One example was McConnell standing out of bounds tipping a loose ball to his teammate. Of course each time this happened, Rutgers was able to score.

Not a top 5 team IMO. More like 10-15.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I noticed maybe three times we shot a three with only a second or two on the clock and we hit all three. I thought then maybe extra adrenaline caused more of an arc or mentally the shooter had no time to over think.

You mean the one were he was wide open with his toes on the line. I'll take those as well! Unfortunately teams know he is our three point shooter in the starting line up and he won't see many of those,

I don't think fans appreciate the three point shooting that guys like Sasha and Cline brought to Purdue, Nobody was giving them wide open threes like the ones Gillis, Furst, and Morton are taking and they still hit at a pretty high percentage,

The 50/50 balls killed us. Every time there was a loose ball or a call made on balls knocked out of bounds, etc, Rutgers got the call. There were 3 calls in the first half that stood out to me where the calls as inbounds or out of bounds were missed by the officials. One example was McConnell standing out of bounds tipping a loose ball to his teammate. Of course each time this happened, Rutgers was able to score.
You can't put this game on the refs. We shot 28 free throws (and missed like 11 or 12). We dug a deep hole in the first half with poor shooting. Then fought like hell to take the lead, only to keep turning the ball over late and letting Macaully do whatever he wanted on offense.

You mean the one were he was wide open with his toes on the line. I'll take those as well! Unfortunately teams know he is our three point shooter in the starting line up and he won't see many of those,

I don't think fans appreciate the three point shooting that guys like Sasha and Cline brought to Purdue, Nobody was giving them wide open threes like the ones Gillis, Furst, and Morton are taking and they still hit at a pretty high percentage,
I know how fans are overall with Sasha, but he didn't have a great year last season. He was 166 of 296 for field goals and 87 for 229 on 3 pointers. In fact his freshman year was his best ,when he wasn't getting quite the minutes. Sasha is a great kiddo, I get it, but I don't understand the "hype" on him.

I know how fans are overall with Sasha, but he didn't have a great year last season. He was 166 of 296 for field goals and 87 for 229 on 3 pointers. In fact his freshman year was his best ,when he wasn't getting quite the minutes. Sasha is a great kiddo, I get it, but I don't understand the "hype" on him.
The "white boy who can shoot" aura he inherited from the dudes who could do it better (Cline, Mathias).

You can't put this game on the refs. We shot 28 free throws (and missed like 11 or 12). We dug a deep hole in the first half with poor shooting. Then fought like hell to take the lead, only to keep turning the ball over late and letting Macaully do whatever he wanted on offense.
I thought that Purdue would pull the game out when Loyer hit the late 3. I was wrong. Purdue lost the game because they did not execute as they should have. The refs did miss some calls, but that always happens. There is nobody to blame but Purdue.

In fairness, there seemed to be an issue with Edey on the pick and roll. Rutgers was having somebody bump him and put him off-stride. Painter needs to correct this if it reappears. That means throwing a fit and attracting the attention of the refs. Get a T if necessary. The giving up of points will be more than offset if Zach can play his game.

ADVERTISEMENT