ADVERTISEMENT

You don't want Les Miles? Are you all nuts?

Rose Bowl Boilers

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 24, 2001
You guys don't want a very successful coach who has won a national championship to coach here? This board has officially lost its mind.

We are at the point where we will be lucky that any successful coach will even want to coach here.

We should hire Miles immediately. Even if he has 8 - 10 years left, it is probably better than any other option we will have.

Wake up people!

The Ad would surely sell it as a splash big name hire

But Is he even that long term though? I would be shocked if he stuck around anywhere for another decade
If he only coaches another 5 years, is that long enough for a full rebuild that could be handed off a second time?

Would we want his same offense, or would he adapt with another OCs diff philosophy?

The Ad would surely sell it as a splash big name hire

But Is he even that long term though? I would be shocked if he stuck around anywhere for another decade
If he only coaches another 5 years, is that long enough for a full rebuild that could be handed off a second time?

Would we want his same offense, or would he adapt with another OCs diff philosophy?

While I certainly do not find Les to be a shoe-in or remotely the only candidate, it's silly to just brush him off as someone you don't want.

I think many don't like him just because it's not a glitzy offense - I really don't care about that.

Purdue needs someone who understands how to build a football program, what it takes and can do it (i.e. can actually recruit). He checks those boxes on paper, but there are other questions. Recruiting at LSU is great - but does that mean it translates to a place like Purdue where it's harder? I don't know him well enough to know that, but I'd think so.

You also don't have to hire a big name guy to create a splash and spark recruiting. Look at Maryland's hire. Very few fans knew who he was, but he had great connections to build a great coaching staff and it has resulted in pretty solid recruiting for Maryland that the fans are excited about. If I had to choose one route, I'd probably go more towards that one instead of putting all the money towards a big name head coach. I think the challenge with Maryland is he's hired a lot of top-flight assistant coaches who probably could get a head coaching job pretty easily and so retaining them is a challenge.

Ya i love all the people turning their heads to this hire. Like are you kidding me. Les would give us instant credibility yet everyone wants mac flavor pj fleck.

Just want to know his planned longevity at his next school, and our AD's long term plan with him/handoff to the next coach

Last edited:
Ya i love all the people turning their heads to this hire. Like are you kidding me. Les would give us instant credibility yet everyone wants mac flavor pj fleck.
Les is not my first choice, but you can't argue he wouldn't improve our recruiting. He's recruited well everywhere he's been, Colorado, Okie state, LSU, etc.

Not a long term fix, but we can worry about the next hire in 6-8 years.

Anyone know what kind of offense he ran at OSU? That's more of a comp for us than LSU.

Miles is a great coach with a solid resume. We would not be his only offer. Why would he risk his legacy on this clown show?

Reactions: Cleanface
I would want anybody over what we currently have.

Miles would bring instant recognition to Purdue. But he's still not my first option.

he's never had to build a program...that's my biggest concern. I'm concerned about his motivation level compared to a guy like fleck.

I would assume he'd command far more money than our other potential candidates. Like it or not, purdue's on a budget, and cost is a realistic factor.

His resume is his resume...it has no bearing on what his future results would be. It's a list of how good of a coach he USED to be. It has no bearing on what kind of a coach he is now. Do you want to play for up and coming OK St or LSU Les Miles? Absolutely!

Do you want to play for a 63 year old just fired Les Miles? No

If we hire him, we can go ahead and stick a fork in the program. We won't recruit outside of the bottom 4 in conference still, we'll run a boring ground and pound offense that won't work (think Shoop or worse...he would 1000% bring Cam with him).

10 years ago Les Miles is a slam dunk hire. Current Les Miles does little to change our fortunes as a program.

People talk shit about Fleck and I don't get it. Guy is an elite recruiter...if he can recruit to WMU at a great level, WL would be a much easier sell. Xs and Os he's not the best...but if we were out recruiting our peers in the division we could turn the program around quite easily.

I think Fleck and Schiano could do this. There aren't honestly many other names out there that can effect the change we need. People were ready for anybody other than Hope when we fired him...and how did that turn out? We have to be super careful with this hire. Can't just hire a guy because he used to be good.

Miles would bring instant recognition to Purdue. But he's still not my first option.

he's never had to build a program...that's my biggest concern. I'm concerned about his motivation level compared to a guy like fleck.

I would assume he'd command far more money than our other potential candidates. Like it or not, purdue's on a budget, and cost is a realistic factor.

The thing is, it's not black and white.

Building a program in the Big Ten is a helluva lot different than building one in the MAC (and quite frankly, Fleck has done it a bit slower than some other MAC coaches in the past).

Building a program means a lot of things. PJ Fleck hasn't really worked much at any major program. For example, DJ Durkin at Maryland is a few years older than Fleck, but also held solid coaching positions at schools like Florida, Stanford and Michigan. He had a very solid network of peers and put together a pretty darn good coaching staff at Maryland. He came to Maryland with those high standards and understood what it took to be elite. PJ Fleck is building a program in the MAC. It's a big difference.

Fleck could certainly turn out to be a great hire and could do a great job wherever he ends up. But he's no slam dunk over someone with experience.

This is false. Miles is getting paid by LSU for the next several years. If we pay him $1, LSU will make up the other $4,999,999 so he's basically locked in to making his full buyout from them minus whatever his pay is...so we could theoretically get him on the cheap.

If he came to Purdue, he'd be more concerned about his post buyout pay more than his first few years because of the garunteed he's owed by LSU...which means you could probably get him on a cheap, non garunteed short term contract to start.

I haven't seen anything that even indicates a search committee even exists.
It doesn't. You can't have a search committee when there's a current head coach. Bad optics there.

What you hopefully have is a smart AD back channeling the shit out of top candidates with his checkbook out.

It doesn't. You can't have a search committee when there's a current head coach. Bad optics there.

What you hopefully have is a smart AD back channeling the shit out of top candidates with his checkbook out.
If we're going to do a search committee, and we can't form it with Haze still around, then why would we wait to fire him?

If we're going to do a search committee, and we can't form it with Haze still around, then why would we wait to fire him?
Why do we need a search committee? Can the AD not do his job?

Coaching search committees usually aren't long standing anyhow. Most teams make moves pretty quick in December and most teams don't use them.

Reactions: TC4THREE
This is false. Miles is getting paid by LSU for the next several years. If we pay him $1, LSU will make up the other $4,999,999 so he's basically locked in to making his full buyout from them minus whatever his pay is...so we could theoretically get him on the cheap.

If he came to Purdue, he'd be more concerned about his post buyout pay more than his first few years because of the garunteed he's owed by LSU...which means you could probably get him on a cheap, non garunteed short term contract to start.

We'll have to wait and see who commands more money. Then you can call my presumption false.

I don't know miles' state of mind. But it's easy for me to imagine that he's very motivated to getting a next coaching gig, but not uber committed to a rebuild.

Building a program in the Big Ten is a helluva lot different than building one in the MAC (and quite frankly, Fleck has done it a bit slower than some other MAC coaches in the past).

Building a program means a lot of things. PJ Fleck hasn't really worked much at any major program. For example, DJ Durkin at Maryland is a few years older than Fleck, but also held solid coaching positions at schools like Florida, Stanford and Michigan. He had a very solid network of peers and put together a pretty darn good coaching staff at Maryland. He came to Maryland with those high standards and understood what it took to be elite. PJ Fleck is building a program in the MAC. It's a big difference.

Fleck could certainly turn out to be a great hire and could do a great job wherever he ends up. But he's no slam dunk over someone with experience.

Never said fleck is a slam dunk hire. I can just see him building long term success at Purdue more so than miles.

Obviously there are pros and cons of every candidate. That's why there are several threads with all these differing opinions.

We'll have to wait and see who commands more money. Then you can call my presumption false.

I don't know miles' state of mind. But it's easy for me to imagine that he's very motivated to getting a next coaching gig, but not uber committed to a rebuild.

Miles can command whatever he wants... What he gets will be a different matter. On top of that, no matter what he gets from his next gig the least he'll make in the year is 4.3mil so it puts him in a very odd situation.

Miles is not a top tier candidate. Texas, ND or other top tier job openings won't be interested in him, so what he'll command should be less since his specific market is less competitive.

When all is said and done, I feel that Fleck will be a top 3 prospect behind Herman.

I think Purdue will need to grab a guy like Charlie Strong or Schiano. Strong is still young and will want to prove he can still win. I think he's honestly the best fit. That, and our D needs some string rehabbing. We could definitely become the in state destination for good D players with him as coach.

Never said fleck is a slam dunk hire. I can just see him building long term success at Purdue more so than miles.

Obviously there are pros and cons of every candidate. That's why there are several threads with all these differing opinions.

There's no slam dunk on anyone. The thing is - people are asking how long would Miles stick around at Purdue. Well, if Fleck did well at Purdue, he sure as heck won't be staying at Purdue long. If anything, if you had someone with Miles' age come and they took 3-4 years to really get the program going - it's actually less likely someone would then go at age 66 or 67 to a bigger program (also what bigger program would want to hire someone that's 66 or 67).

You guys don't want a very successful coach who has won a national championship to coach here? This board has officially lost its mind.

We are at the point where we will be lucky that any successful coach will even want to coach here.

We should hire Miles immediately. Even if he has 8 - 10 years left, it is probably better than any other option we will have.

Wake up people!

Personally I think we could not do any better. Miles has competed at the highest level. He knows what top tier programs look like. He will increase our recruiting level. He knows what kids what to hear, and can provide proof he can get them to the NFL. Purdue can afford him because he will still get a large salary from LSU. This allows us to pay Mr (not coach) Hazel his salary. Maybe he could bring in his old DEF cord, Bo Pelini. He too is still receiving Corn money. Then we need to use the rest of resources to get Payton Manning as Off Cord. He (his wife too) really liked living in Carmel. They move to their old home support his children's hospital, and get a limo ride to WL everyday to coach a little football.

Very well said. Fleck is this month's flavor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT