ADVERTISEMENT

Year 4 of JB and we’re starting a walk on?

AOC did a nice job on the last drive. But he got extremely lucky on several really bad throws during the course of the game. If he can clean those up and start getting rid of the football a little quicker, I think he'll be OK. Iowa doesn't have a stellar DL, so he's not going to have the time he had to throw the ball like he did today when we play Wisconsin. And we don't have the defense to continue to play from behind against teams like Wisconsin and even Indiana.
But why can't the coaches see that their quarterback telegraphs most of his passes. No wonder there are two or even three defenders on our receivers many times. I don't think AOC is very deceptive in his handoffs either. That responsibility doesn't end once he has handed off.

How do you know the coach told him to take a knee? Why weren't they in victory formation? That's generally what a coach does to run out the clock...
I'm just going off of his reaction after he scored. I guess you know as much as me. Mine, is based off of reaction, but everything else I said was completely true. IU's defense isn't dependable to win a game and Clifford missed a ton of opportunities.

But why can't the coaches see that their quarterback telegraphs most of his passes. No wonder there are two or even three defenders on our receivers many times. I don't think AOC is very deceptive in his handoffs either. That responsibility doesn't end once he has handed off.

I don’t know man. He has played in 7 games, started 4 and has nearly a 63% completion %, 11 tds, and 6 ints. Plus just beat out every qb on our roster for the starting spot. If you believe he telegraphs “most” of his passes, you must be seeing something that our coaches and opposing defensive coaches (all of which get paid good money to see those things) are not seeing. Otherwise his statistics wouldn’t be nearly as good as they are.

Dude, you're going to be okay. Just don't post dumb stuff, and you'll be fine.

But how will I know.. can we meet on Friday for some sort of performance review? Is it you who determines what is dumb or is there some sort of commission?

How do you know the coach told him to take a knee? Why weren't they in victory formation? That's generally what a coach does to run out the clock...
Post game conference Franklin seemed to indicate the guy knew he was supposed to take a knee from practice/teaching situations and that it had been reinforced prior to the play, but no other details beyond that. I suspect going forward if there's a similar situation the RB will have a couple of hundred folks explaining to him prior to the play what he needs to do.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Post game conference Franklin seemed to indicate the guy knew he was supposed to take a knee from practice/teaching situations and that it had been reinforced prior to the play, but no other details beyond that. I suspect going forward if there's a similar situation the RB will have a couple of hundred folks explaining to him prior to the play what he needs to do.

I think you are right. I didn’t see his whole press conference but he said something like .... our sheet said to take a knee in that situation

Would be strange for the coaches not to communicate that to the qb but who knows. If it wasn’t communicated then I am certain they will change that in the future.

I don’t know man. He has played in 7 games, started 4 and has nearly a 63% completion %, 11 tds, and 6 ints. Plus just beat out every qb on our roster for the starting spot. If you believe he telegraphs “most” of his passes, you must be seeing something that our coaches and opposing defensive coaches (all of which get paid good money to see those things) are not seeing. Otherwise his statistics wouldn’t be nearly as good as they are.

That first TD was simply a thing of beauty. Thrown over 2 defenders, feathered right into the perfect spot.

That was a big time throw.

THAT is one big reason he's starting.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Beorik
That first TD was simply a thing of beauty. Thrown over 2 defenders, feathered right into the perfect spot.

That was a big time throw.

THAT is one big reason he's starting.

Indeed!

The way he slid around the pocket to avoid pressure was fantastic as well. I think he is going to be good.

Of course a lot of credit needs to go to the o-line and wrs as well.

Eliminate a few mistakes, get Moore and Coach back and our offense might be pretty darn good.

Uhm, I never said Penix had a good game. And it wasn't Clifford who gave the game away, it was Franklin who decided not to take a knee with 1:40 left. Clifford had a QBR of 91 and a 69% pass completion %.
Clifford also threw two picks early in PSU territory that led to IU scores>IUs defense doesnt scare me.I doubt if its as good as Iowas.

Looks like a B10 arm to me. In fact his arm looks as good as Blough’s arm to me so dare I say an NFL arm ;).

We don’t have any 5 star recruits at QB so thats not an option. The coaches say he is better than the 3 and 4 star recruits we do have at qb so I would say that we would likely do worse with one of them in.

So that brings up the point even more of why Brohm hasn't been able to recruit stud QBs to go along with his stud WRs. When your 3 and 4 star recruits are getting beat out by walkons, that seems to be an issue either with talent evaluation, development, etc.

So that brings up the point even more of why Brohm hasn't been able to recruit stud QBs to go along with his stud WRs. When your 3 and 4 star recruits are getting beat out by walkons, that seems to be an issue either with talent evaluation, development, etc.
Alaimo is a freshman and not ready.

Plummer is the one who is the head scratcher and was in competition for the job. My guess is they wanted someone they trusted to manage the game in JB's absence. I wouldnt be shocked if one or two more QBs start at some point this year.

I think you are right. I didn’t see his whole press conference but he said something like .... our sheet said to take a knee in that situation

Would be strange for the coaches not to communicate that to the qb but who knows. If it wasn’t communicated then I am certain they will change that in the future.

Yes.....as to Franklin's post-game comments:

"We went through that situation this week [in practice]," he said, "and we went through that situation on the sideline, and obviously we could've handled it better. What we wanted to do was get as much as you can and get down."

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommaker
The flip side of that is: perhaps if we had a more talented player at the 4, instead of Grady, we win the National Championship ?
Sure, If we had great players at every position we'd be all set. I'm sure that's what every program wants, but most don't accomplish it. Recruiting misses happen all the time, everywhere, especially at the QB position. Remember how Northwestern fans were feeling about Hunter Johnson? Haha. No guarantees, indeed.
The point here is that sometimes the less recruited guy turns into a much better player at the D1 level than his recruiting ratings predicted. To the point that it takes a very good player to beat him out, one that may not be on the roster. Doesn't necessarily mean that the staff did anything wrong or the other QBs are busts. You can't expect every 3 or 4 star QB to be the next Drew Brees or Kyle Orton. And sometimes the guy without the D1 offers turns into Tony Romo or Kurt Warner. It's safe to say that Plummer is not Johnson and Aidan is not Romo, but the truth is in between. Aidan did enough on Saturday that for people to be criticizing the QB position after a big win with (another) game winning TD drive, while missing the HC and offensive mastermind, #1 offensive playmaker, and first game back after almost 11 month layoff is just needless negativity IMO.

Sure, If we had great players at every position we'd be all set. I'm sure that's what every program wants, but most don't accomplish it. Recruiting misses happen all the time, everywhere, especially at the QB position. Remember how Northwestern fans were feeling about Hunter Johnson? Haha. No guarantees, indeed.
The point here is that sometimes the less recruited guy turns into a much better player at the D1 level than his recruiting ratings predicted. To the point that it takes a very good player to beat him out, one that may not be on the roster. Doesn't necessarily mean that the staff did anything wrong or the other QBs are busts. You can't expect every 3 or 4 star QB to be the next Drew Brees or Kyle Orton. And sometimes the guy without the D1 offers turns into Tony Romo or Kurt Warner. It's safe to say that Plummer is not Johnson and Aidan is not Romo, but the truth is in between. Aidan did enough on Saturday that for people to be criticizing the QB position after a big win with (another) game winning TD drive, while missing the HC and offensive mastermind, #1 offensive playmaker, and first game back after almost 11 month layoff is just needless negativity IMO.

Like I said, I was as happy as any Boiler fan that we won. I was whoopin and hollerin like everyone else. And, I hope Oconnell goes undefeated and develops into a guy with a shot at the NFL.
My disappointment is that you have what many consider to be a great offensive mind in Brohm, who's been able to recruit some great WRs, yet, in his 4th year, he's had to 'resort' to starting a walk-on. I don't think anyone would think that's not cause for concern. Aiden won the game, and that's great. But what would be really great is to see what a guy with NFL size/talent could do with what we've got at the skill positions.

Like I said, I was as happy as any Boiler fan that we won. I was whoopin and hollerin like everyone else. And, I hope Oconnell goes undefeated and develops into a guy with a shot at the NFL.
My disappointment is that you have what many consider to be a great offensive mind in Brohm, who's been able to recruit some great WRs, yet, in his 4th year, he's had to 'resort' to starting a walk-on. I don't think anyone would think that's not cause for concern. Aiden won the game, and that's great. But what would be really great is to see what a guy with NFL size/talent could do with what we've got at the skill positions.
Count me out of the group that thinks Aidan starting is cause for concern. He's a QB who was overlooked by the scouting services but has proven himself worthy of his D1 scholarship, unlike many who are given one based on what they did in high school kid or some athletic potential that never amounts to anything.

6'3" ~200 lb is about average size for an NFL QB (Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Matthew Stafford). But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if he is NFL material or not. Tons, I mean tons, of college QBs have put up video game stats in D1 and never stepped foot on an NFL field. Take a look at the all time college passing leaders. You have to go a ways down on the list before you find many bone fide NFL QBs.

'System quarterback' is considered a pejorative term, but if one were to take the time to define it well and then ask Brohm what he needs from his QB you would find a lot of overlap, maybe almost identical definitions. College offenses like Brohm's are all about executing a system that schemes to take advantage of the defense. The better you can execute the game plan, think like the coach/OC, and run the system while minimizing mistakes, the more the smart guy standing on the sideline can control the game. That's not always the guy with the most athletic ability. A Brandon Doughty would do just fine. You know, another lightly recruited 6'3" ~200 lb guy with slow feet and average arm strength, who happens to be #13 on the list of all time single season passing yardage while playing for Jeff Brohm.

Plummer is the one who is the head scratcher and was in competition for the job. My guess is they wanted someone they trusted to manage the game in JB's absence. I wouldnt be shocked if one or two more QBs start at some point this year.
Completely agree. Plummer is going to get playing time. And it wouldn't surprise me if Burton does too.

No, not concerned at all. I see no need to go looking for a reason to be concerned.

Last year, with a depleted roster, the kid stepped in a played marvelously.

After this most recent win, I believe the stat is that he has 3 comeback wins in 5 games.

I'm extraordinarily disappointed that we have fans that simply cannot appreciate the talent for what it is, and find some need to slam Brohm and his staff because this kid has busted his @ss and played his way on the field.

There's no need to tear down Brohm, the other QBs, or O'Connell for his performance. Simply none at all.

Aidan is safe. Brohm likes safe. Aidan also should've been pulled in the 3rd on Saturday. No reason that offense should only score 24.

Bell being targeted 20+ times can be concerning as well. If teams take away Bell, can Aidan adjust? Or will he force it into triple coverage like he did multiple times on Saturday?

Aidan is safe. Brohm likes safe. Aidan also should've been pulled in the 3rd on Saturday. No reason that offense should only score 24.

Bell being targeted 20+ times can be concerning as well. If teams take away Bell, can Aidan adjust? Or will he force it into triple coverage like he did multiple times on Saturday?
Well, for one, the offense only scored 13 against Iowa last year before a garbage time TD. And that was with Brohm on the sideline and Plummer at QB.

In today's interview, Jeff specifically commended Brian on sticking with Aidan through the rough 3rd quarter, and Aidan for having the mental toughness to stay even keeled and lead the game winning drive.

As to your questions concerning locking onto Bell: (1) He is a stud and you feed your stud, especially when your other stud is out. (2) maybe look at the game winning drive where he targeted at least 4 different receivers or last year's game winning drive against Nebraska where he also targeted 4+ different receivers.

I think Brohm, like most coaches, like predictability.

Think what you want about Aiden, but he was really solid Saturday. He outplayed Iowa's golden boy, their wonder recruit, the one the Iowa fans were touting as the next great thing.

Bell was targeted 21 times, mostly because he was getting open. 13 completions. Missed a wide open TD. (Every QB does that.) Feathered in a TD to Bell on the first possession, and it was a phenomenal pass.

Did he lock onto receivers? Well, yeah... that's what many CFB QBs do. Did he go through progressions? Yeah, he did that, too.

"That offense" scored 24 points because, A) it was the season opener, B) the HC who calls plays was out with the Wuhan Flu, C) Iowa isn't a FCS or mid-major opening day opponent, D) the dumb@sses at the B1G office have royally screwed up the launch of this season, and EF,G,H,I,J,K and L) (I could go on and on).

Aiden forced the ball. Every QB SHOULD be doing that. You have to force the issue sometimes. Too many CFB QBs want a WR to be wide open before they'll make the pass. You can second guess him all you like, but there's no empirical data supporting your assertion. FIFTY attempts, two INT's ... against a pretty d@mn good D.

I think Brohm, like most coaches, like predictability.

Think what you want about Aiden, but he was really solid Saturday. He outplayed Iowa's golden boy, their wonder recruit, the one the Iowa fans were touting as the next great thing.

Bell was targeted 21 times, mostly because he was getting open. 13 completions. Missed a wide open TD. (Every QB does that.) Feathered in a TD to Bell on the first possession, and it was a phenomenal pass.

Did he lock onto receivers? Well, yeah... that's what many CFB QBs do. Did he go through progressions? Yeah, he did that, too.

"That offense" scored 24 points because, A) it was the season opener, B) the HC who calls plays was out with the Wuhan Flu, C) Iowa isn't a FCS or mid-major opening day opponent, D) the dumb@sses at the B1G office have royally screwed up the launch of this season, and EF,G,H,I,J,K and L) (I could go on and on).

Aiden forced the ball. Every QB SHOULD be doing that. You have to force the issue sometimes. Too many CFB QBs want a WR to be wide open before they'll make the pass. You can second guess him all you like, but there's no empirical data supporting your assertion. FIFTY attempts, two INT's ... against a pretty d@mn good D.

The only big issue with Aiden was his feet... mobility. As a thrower he’s probably our most accurate in a long time.. I think his accuracy is better than blough and certainly Elliott at this stage.

I wanna have a third look. As I watched a second time I spotted on pressure where Erik miller appeared to fall down at LT

Brohm doesn’t like safe. If he did, sindelar never would have started. IMO, if he didn’t have either rona, another qb may have started

He’s ready

I’m disappointed that we’re in yr 4 if the Brohm era and we’re stuck with a walk in QB starting.
I know people are going to say “he’s serviceable” or “he’s doing a good”, but there’s a reason he’s a walk on.
Brohm’s done a great job recruiting WRs, and you’d think QBs would be lined up to play in this offense, but here we are.
QB Aaron Rodgers comes to mind as does Safety Jim Leonhard comes to mind. Both were walk-ons that have gone on to become NFL high end players.

There are hundreds if not thousands of highly regarded athletes and for whatever reasons, several fall thru the crack missing an opportunity. Aidan O'Connell had Jeff Christensen a private QB coach in his corner who drove down and saw Jeff Brohm personally and vouched that he was as good as Jimmy Garoppolo as he coached both.

If he was good enough for both HC Jeff Brohm and QB coach Brian Brohm, then he is good enough for all of us to enjoy. End of story. An intangible that Aidan has is being clutch under pressure. I "only" played high school ball and know that there is a big difference of making plays and making plays under pressure to win a game be it making a catch, sinking a basket, or getting a game winning hit. I was lucky to do some of those in high school only. Some have the clutch factor and Aidan unquestionably is in the league of Clutch!

Analogy of League of Clutch (Sid the Kid). Aidan is our Kid now. Enjoy the moments.

Back story of Aidan:

Reactions: krf3632 and Beorik
QB Aaron Rodgers comes to mind as does Safety Jim Leonhard comes to mind. Both were walk-ons that have gone on to become NFL high end players.

There are hundreds if not thousands of highly regarded athletes and for whatever reasons, several fall thru the crack missing an opportunity. Aidan O'Connell had Jeff Christensen a private QB coach in his corner who drove down and saw Jeff Brohm personally and vouched that he was as good as Jimmy Garoppolo as he coached both.

If he was good enough for both HC Jeff Brohm and QB coach Brian Brohm, then he is good enough for all of us to enjoy. End of story. An intangible that Aidan has is being clutch under pressure. I "only" played high school ball and know that there is a big difference of making plays and making plays under pressure to win a game be it making a catch, sinking a basket, or getting a game winning hit. Some have the clutch factor and Aidan unquestionably is in the league of Clutch!

Analogy of League of Clutch (Sid the Kid). Aidan is our Kid now. Enjoy the moments.

Back story of Aidan:
Rodgers wasnt a walk on. He was a JUCO.

ADVERTISEMENT