ADVERTISEMENT

Year 4 of JB and we’re starting a walk on?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I’m disappointed that we’re in yr 4 if the Brohm era and we’re stuck with a walk in QB starting.
I know people are going to say “he’s serviceable” or “he’s doing a good”, but there’s a reason he’s a walk on.
Brohm’s done a great job recruiting WRs, and you’d think QBs would be lined up to play in this offense, but here we are.

I’m disappointed that we’re in yr 4 if the Brohm era and we’re stuck with a walk in QB starting.
I know people are going to say “he’s serviceable” or “he’s doing a good”, but there’s a reason he’s a walk on.
Brohm’s done a great job recruiting WRs, and you’d think QBs would be lined up to play in this offense, but here we are.

Not just serviceable but did a good job today. Keep in mind that one recruit(Sipe) had to retire due to injury and another(Plummer) threw for over 1,600 yards last season prior to a season ending injury and the starter you are criticizing was recruited by Brohm, even without a scholarship. That same kid just got a win by the way(pretty damn good "investment" despite your criticism). Oh, and now we've got a highly rated freshman who'll likely redshirt this season. Now, back to your whining.

Baker Mayfield was a walk on. O’Connell played well today. Horvath was outstanding. To me this says that someone at Purdue is doing an amazing job at identifying and pursuing under recruited talent. Both are proving that they are not only Big Ten caliber starters, but good Big Ten starters. I don’t understand how you can turn walk on success stories into a negative. Big win today. Boiler up!

Complaining about walk-ons starting in a game where the team gets a win in the first game of the season against a team that has the most experienced coach at this level of college football makes absolutely no sense. Turning these guys into solid players that can compete and win at this level is exceptional player development.

Yes. A WINNING walk-on.

The flip side of that coin is if you can win with walk on talent imagine the potential when the "higher" rated recruits are healthy and ready. Getting walk on talent developed to the point of helping you win games is a positive sign. Let's see what happens with a healthy Rondale available and the rust knocked off.

Hey. You do understand he recruited him to come here as a walk-on. So he was smart enough to see that the kid was a late bloomer with some potential. Kid didn’t just show up at Purdue out of the blue. By the way Baker Mayfield says hi. He was a walk-on too.

Last edited:
Reactions: krf3632
Hey. You do understand he recruited him to come here as a walk-on. So he was smart enough to see that the kid was a late bloomer with some potential. Kid didn’t just show up at Purdue out of the blue. By the way Baker Mayfield says hi. He was a walk-on too.
Baker Mayfield had scholarships offers to PAC-10 team and was an upper 3* recruit whose dad was an asshole. It wasn’t because of his talent.

If our QB1 doesn’t fix some of his throws he is going to get a really talented football player hurt.

Not just serviceable but did a good job today. Keep in mind that one recruit(Sipe) had to retire due to injury and another(Plummer) threw for over 1,600 yards last season prior to a season ending injury and the starter you are criticizing was recruited by Brohm, even without a scholarship. That same kid just got a win by the way(pretty damn good "investment" despite your criticism). Oh, and now we've got a highly rated freshman who'll likely redshirt this season. Now, back to your whining.

But why do you guys always jump to this place where we are suggesting we don’t like O’Connell or Thienemann? That part is clinical.

The answer to the questions

Do I like them? Don’t know, don’t know then
Are they trying hard and playing good for what they bring? Probably?

Is Brohm making Danny hope Money? No
Since he isn’t, is it his job to take 85 scholarships and transfers and find recruited talent who can start ahead of O’Connell and Thienemann? Yes it is

Lovie Smith brought peters in and managed to have zero exploitable non athletes in the secondary in year four.

We can’t explect that of Brohm without a low rent “well you’re just picking on players” response?

Here, I’ll translate for you:
Brohm: “Aiden, we don’t think you’re talented enough to play at the B10 level, therefore we’re not going to spend a scholarship on you, but we can always use additional scout team QBs, so we’d love to have you walk on.”

Baker Mayfield was a walk on. O’Connell played well today. Horvath was outstanding. To me this says that someone at Purdue is doing an amazing job at identifying and pursuing under recruited talent. Both are proving that they are not only Big Ten caliber starters, but good Big Ten starters. I don’t understand how you can turn walk on success stories into a negative. Big win today. Boiler up!

I’m as happy as anyone we got a win, but let’s not sugar coat it too much: AOC doesn’t have a B10 arm. On most of his throws that he missed, the ball was late and behind. Every QB coach in America will tell you the same reason for this (and it’s not deciding to throw late).
As someone else said, if we can win with a walk on, think of what we would do with a 4 or 5 star.
And please don’t bring up Mayfield. He was recruited by a bunch of P5 schools.

Reactions: DAG10
I’m as happy as anyone we got a win, but let’s not sugar coat it too much: AOC doesn’t have a B10 arm. On most of his throws that he missed, the ball was late and behind. Every QB coach in America will tell you the same reason for this (and it’s not deciding to throw late).
As someone else said, if we can win with a walk on, think of what we would do with a 4 or 5 star.

Looks like a B10 arm to me. In fact his arm looks as good as Blough’s arm to me so dare I say an NFL arm ;).

We don’t have any 5 star recruits at QB so thats not an option. The coaches say he is better than the 3 and 4 star recruits we do have at qb so I would say that we would likely do worse with one of them in.

Looks like a B10 arm to me. In fact his arm looks as good as Blough’s arm to me so dare I say an NFL arm ;).

We don’t have any 5 star recruits at QB so thats not an option. The coaches say he is better than the 3 and 4 star recruits we do have at qb so I would say that we would likely do worse with one of them in.

Arm isn’t the issue. I saw a little of the grossman problem throwing into double and triple coverage yesterday, he strong armed two balls that needed to be pillows and he’s glued to the floor. Kyle Orton was SLOW and was less of a sitting duck.

If they’re gonna roll with him it may be the best thing BUT.. cut out the grossman billy the kid throws, the hold my beer throws, use touch when you need it and start getting ready to exploit blitzes.. cause Wisconsin is gonna dial it up to 11 out of ten

Arm isn’t the issue. I saw a little of the grossman problem throwing into double and triple coverage yesterday, he strong armed two balls that needed to be pillows and he’s glued to the floor. Kyle Orton was SLOW and was less of a sitting duck.

If they’re gonna roll with him it may be the best thing BUT.. cut out the grossman billy the kid throws, the hold my beer throws, use touch when you need it and start getting ready to exploit blitzes.. cause Wisconsin is gonna dial it up to 11 out of ten

I agree. There was a few questionable decisions and a couple bad throws. Some of that you have to live with because even Payton Manning did it sometimes. Lots to clean up for sure. I love how he moves in the pocket though. He isn’t mobile by any stretch of the imagination but seems to have a good pocket awareness.

Got a big win though and lets keep improving!

I agree. There was a few questionable decisions and a couple bad throws. Some of that you have to live with because even Payton Manning did it sometimes. Lots to clean up for sure. I love how he moves in the pocket though. He isn’t mobile by any stretch of the imagination but seems to have a good pocket awareness.

Got a big win though and lets keep improving!

I have way less of an issue with 40 and 16 being the best we got, especially with 22 out yesterday.. than I do with 38 being the best we have

Baker Mayfield had scholarships offers to PAC-10 team and was an upper 3* recruit whose dad was an asshole. It wasn’t because of his talent.

If our QB1 doesn’t fix some of his throws he is going to get a really talented football player hurt.
I think this could be a case where an analyst gets it wrong and a head coach gets it right. The most talented QB doesn't always play to the level of a head coach and that will get you to sit or transfer out. It happens and will continue to happen.

Reactions: Tommaker
I think this could be a case where an analyst gets it wrong and a head coach gets it right. The most talented QB doesn't always play to the level of a head coach and that will get you to sit or transfer out. It happens and will continue to happen.

Yes but every coach gets 85/25 and that’s their responsibility.., coaches who get the highest percentage of players to play to their potential win more games, bowl games and championships. Coaches on the bottom end percentage wise lose more and get fired.

When we lost to Illinois I kept looking for one player we could exploit and I didn’t see any ...

Yes but every coach gets 85/25 and that’s their responsibility.., coaches who get the highest percentage of players to play to their potential win more games, bowl games and championships. Coaches on the bottom end percentage wise lose more and get fired.

When we lost to Illinois I kept looking for one player we could exploit and I didn’t see any ...
I'm just saying, throughout history this happens and it happens a lot. Many QB's in the NFL were unheralded. Rodgers, Jones, Allen, Brady, Brees the list goes on. The QB position is the hardest position to recruit and develop. AOC just beat a more talented QB by analyst. I'll take the win....

Reactions: Zaphod_B and Beorik

No just a accurate arm who finished Nebraska last year with a dime to Hopkins over the middle and and calmly leading winning drive yesterday

Just win baby, repeat it with me.

He’s on scholarship. This reminds me of the Grady whining.

No just a accurate arm who finished Nebraska last year with a dime to Hopkins over the middle and and calmly leading winning drive yesterday

Just win baby, repeat it with me.
AOC did a nice job on the last drive. But he got extremely lucky on several really bad throws during the course of the game. If he can clean those up and start getting rid of the football a little quicker, I think he'll be OK. Iowa doesn't have a stellar DL, so he's not going to have the time he had to throw the ball like he did today when we play Wisconsin. And we don't have the defense to continue to play from behind against teams like Wisconsin and even Indiana.

AOC did a nice job on the last drive. But he got extremely lucky on several really bad throws during the course of the game. If he can clean those up and start getting rid of the football a little quicker, I think he'll be OK. Iowa doesn't have a stellar DL, so he's not going to have the time he had to throw the ball like he did today when we play Wisconsin. And we don't have the defense to continue to play from behind against teams like Wisconsin and even Indiana.
IU won a game because that high 4* gave it away. Penix had a bad day overall besides the last drive, OT and that's what beat Penn St. See people don't remember that, because he won the game.

IU won a game because that high 4* gave it away. Penix had a bad day overall besides the last drive, OT and that's what beat Penn St. See people don't remember that, because he won the game.
Uhm, I never said Penix had a good game. And it wasn't Clifford who gave the game away, it was Franklin who decided not to take a knee with 1:40 left. Clifford had a QBR of 91 and a 69% pass completion %.

Here, I’ll translate for you:
Brohm: “Aiden, we don’t think you’re talented enough to play at the B10 level, therefore we’re not going to spend a scholarship on you, but we can always use additional scout team QBs, so we’d love to have you walk on.”
Obviously you have no clue how recruiting really works. This is typically how it works in the real world and I’ll translate for you and all the guys that only know about the recruiting process thru what they read, or watch on tv.

Brohm: Aiden we really like what we see in you , the potential you show and the upside that you have. We feel that you are a late bloomer and in 3-4 years you could be competing for playing time at Purdue. It’s not going to be easy , but if you are willing to come and work your tail off then we would love to have you come to Purdue. I can guarantee that we will have a roster spot for you. You’ll also get one of the best educations from one of the best schools in the nation and be able to be apart of something special at Purdue.”

Having been thru the recruiting process with many kids That’s how it works and what it typically sounds like. So kid wasn’t a scholarship player to start with , but was recruited and wanted by the staff to come here and be a Boilermaker.

Uhm, I never said Penix had a good game. And it wasn't Clifford who gave the game away, it was Franklin who decided not to take a knee with 1:40 left. Clifford had a QBR of 91 and a 69% pass completion %.
I guess you mentioned IU and I wouldn't consider IU's defense something to depend on. Plus, did you watch any of that game? Clifford missed, over threw and under threw many easy targets plus the 2 picks that gave IU 10 points. The coach tells a player to take a knee and the player forgets...I guess its the coaches fault?

He’s on scholarship. This reminds me of the Grady whining.
Grady was a role player...not the guy at the most important position on the floor or with the ball in his hands literally on every offensive possession.

It is not a knock on O'Connell as much as it is pointing out the fact that Brohm/Purdue have failed to recruit anyone of significance at the position despite seemingly a host of reasons that they seemingly should have been able to.

Reactions: purduepat1969
But why do you guys always jump to this place where we are suggesting we don’t like O’Connell or Thienemann? That part is clinical.

The answer to the questions

Do I like them? Don’t know, don’t know then
Are they trying hard and playing good for what they bring? Probably?

Is Brohm making Danny hope Money? No
Since he isn’t, is it his job to take 85 scholarships and transfers and find recruited talent who can start ahead of O’Connell and Thienemann? Yes it is

Lovie Smith brought peters in and managed to have zero exploitable non athletes in the secondary in year four.

We can’t explect that of Brohm without a low rent “well you’re just picking on players” response?

Who the hell has said anything about caring whether or not you like them personally? I simply pointed out that Brohm has recruited QB'S. And in the staff's opinion O'Connell was the best choice to get the start yesterday, and Purdue got the win. Plummer may yet beat out O'Connell for the spot this season, but again people are whining about HOW Purdue got a win yesterday which included Aidan having a solid(not great/spectacular) day.

In the current freshman class Purdue has a highly regarded 4 star who'll likely redshirt this year and in the next class a 5 star is arriving so there will be even more talent available.

Using illinois as an example makes sense, especially after Friday's performance. Peters looked bad, and those "zero exploitable non athletes" in the illinois secondary let their opponent's freshman, 1st time starter complete 20 of 21 pass attempts against them with multiple TD passes.

I guess you mentioned IU and I wouldn't consider IU's defense something to depend on. Plus, did you watch any of that game? Clifford missed, over threw and under threw many easy targets plus the 2 picks that gave IU 10 points. The coach tells a player to take a knee and the player forgets...I guess its the coaches fault?
How do you know the coach told him to take a knee? Why weren't they in victory formation? That's generally what a coach does to run out the clock...

Reactions: Inspector100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT