ADVERTISEMENT

Yanni

POTFHBTFU

Sophomore
Jul 25, 2021
Sounds like Yanni twisted some arms to be placed in LEO spot and now coaches addressing the situation shifting him to WILL where we can sure use his help. See Tom’s article.

Sounds like Yanni twisted some arms to be placed in LEO spot and now coaches addressing the situation shifting him to WILL where we can sure use his help. See Tom’s article.
Briefly worked with an intern that played league BB with George and knew the family (well enough to have is phone number). He really thought that Yanni would make up in speed what he didn't have in George's mass/power.

Briefly worked with an intern that played league BB with George and knew the family (well enough to have is phone number). He really thought that Yanni would make up in speed what he didn't have in George's mass/power.
I seem to remember seeing his 40 time being north of 4.9?

Hope he can. He really has not played much game experience football for really the last 3 years.

He had to sit out his senior year due to injury and he really has not seen the field for us (a few snaps).

Speed isnt his thing

Speed isnt his thing
Kinda important for a linebacker though. And very little speed elsewhere in the pipeline. Where are the Landon Johnsons? Unfortunately the portal is preventing the old method of converting big wide receivers- they'll simply jump ship. Time to sell some portal guys on playing time here. Need a LB coach like Hagen who can reel them in.

Purdue has two linebackers playing in the NFL - Cincinnati and New England. I do not understand why Purdue would have a hard time recruiting linebackers with speed because they can demonstrate placing them into the pros.

Reactions: Pmayor and DAG10
Purdue has two linebackers playing in the NFL - Cincinnati and New England. I do not understand why Purdue would have a hard time recruiting linebackers with speed because they can demonstrate placing them into the pros.
The coach that recruited those two is gone. Weve had a ton of turnover in LB coaches.

Reactions: DAG10
Plus Barnes in Detroit.

Mitchell might be considered an OLB in the Pats system. Don't hold me to that though.

Plus Barnes in Detroit.

Mitchell might be considered an OLB in the Pats system. Don't hold me to that though.
Barnes was a Brohm recruit...I admittedly had forgot about that...flipped at the last minute.

Purdue has had a number of quality LBs over the years...that they have not been able to maintain that is not just bothersome, but, it is impacting them on that side of the ball as well.

Like say, there was some focus this year from a recruiting standpoint on that side...hopefully it pays off...they do need to get someone from the portal that can help immediately though seemingly, and, should be able indeed to offer playing time...going to have to figure NIL out, and, the sooner the better.

Speed isnt his thing
I feel like you have thoughts on Yanni, but, don't want to share them?

I admittedly have no idea what the issue(s) is/are...talented kid...athletic kid...hard working...something is missing obviously, and, it feels like you have thoughts (or maybe even know), but, I am curious if that is the case, as, while I never imagined that he would be anything like his brother, I absolutely expected him to find his way to the field and help Purdue.

I feel like you have thoughts on Yanni, but, don't want to share them?

I admittedly have no idea what the issue(s) is/are...talented kid...athletic kid...hard working...something is missing obviously, and, it feels like you have thoughts (or maybe even know), but, I am curious if that is the case, as, while I never imagined that he would be anything like his brother, I absolutely expected him to find his way to the field and help Purdue.
I think he could play and contribute next year and forward. He will never impact like george

Reactions: DAG10
I think he could play and contribute next year and forward. He will never impact like george
Like say, did not expect him to...and, hard to believe that anyone else did/would.

But, I did think that he could/would play and help, and, sounds as if that may still be the case...which is encouraging, as, I was concerned if there was something else/more...thanks.

I am led to believe he never gained the weight or sufficient strength through our weight and conditioning program to be an effective LEO. He has skills and was our highest rated recruit in his class, so the coaching staff is trying hard to accommodate his wishes and also trying to find a position for him to excel at.

And Derrick Barnes is with Detroit.

I am led to believe he never gained the weight or sufficient strength through our weight and conditioning program to be an effective LEO. He has skills and was our highest rated recruit in his class, so the coaching staff is trying hard to accommodate his wishes and also trying to find a position for him to excel at.
He was at LEO for 8 months. Takes longer than that to put on 30# of good weight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT