ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. Wow wow wow.

Here are three stats that jump out at me:

1) Purdue went 4-4 against FBS teams that finished with a winning record this year after going 1-35 against such opponents between 2012 and 2016. (Western Michigan, 2014)

2) Purdue beat 3 Power-5 teams that finished with a winning record (Missouri, Iowa, Arizona) for the first time since beating four such teams during the 2000 Rose Bowl season. (Purdue did beat 2 Power-5 teams that finished with a winning record in '01, '02, '03, and '04.)

3) Purdue beat a Power-5 team in a bowl game for the first time since knocking off Washington in the 2002 Sun Bowl.

Here's another stat to throw out: Purdue just held the 4th ranked rushing offense in the country (324 yds/game) to 128 yards. For the record, we outrushed them 159 to 128.

Granted, we sold out on stopping the run and gave up some pretty wide open TD passes, but this defense has been pretty good this year against stopping the run.

Here's another stat to throw out: Purdue just held the 4th ranked rushing offense in the country (324 yds/game) to 128 yards. For the record, we outrushed them 159 to 128.

Granted, we sold out on stopping the run and gave up some pretty wide open TD passes, but this defense has been pretty good this year against stopping the run.
That was the game plan and when he threw his 5th TD pass I did question that being best practice. The rush yards also took a dip with them playing at a deficit.

My takeaway:

How in the hell did Brohm compose himself on the 4th down pass and run by Jones? The call and review was awful and I would have said” Hey ref get off your knees, you’re blowing the game”. I spot the call and review well beyond the incompetence marker.

Reactions: Augie85
My takeaway:

How in the hell did Brohm compose himself on the 4th down pass and run by Jones? The call and review was awful and I would have said” Hey ref get off your knees, you’re blowing the game”. I spot the call and review well beyond the incompetence marker.
Pereira said something about the ball breaking the sideline before reaching the line of gain. I have no idea what the rule is.

Reactions: rustcr and ChuckJr
Finding a way to win was huge. Now rebuild the defense, try to win 7 again outscoring people, and have at it.

No doubt, 2018 is going to be a challenge, attempting to repeat or improve upon a 7-6 2017. To your point, we're very thin in a few key areas. With the talent he's bringing in, I see it taking 2-3 years before he has the depth to reasonably expect 8, 9, or 10 wins.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Zaphod_B
No doubt, 2018 is going to be a challenge, attempting to repeat or improve upon a 7-6 2017. To your point, we're very thin in a few key areas. With the talent he's bringing in, I see it taking 2-3 years before he has the depth to reasonably expect 8, 9, or 10 wins.
Exactly. Schedule is tough too. 6-7 wins with exciting football is fine.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Pereira said something about the ball breaking the sideline before reaching the line of gain. I have no idea what the rule is.

I believe you're right. They were trying to determine where the ball crossed the sideline.

I thought there was enough there to show he had reached the 1st down marker, but no doubt I was wearing my Gold and Black glasses.

I believe you're right. They were trying to determine where the ball crossed the sideline.

I thought there was enough there to show he had reached the 1st down marker, but no doubt I was wearing my Gold and Black glasses.
That's the problem when I watch 3 levels of football, the intricacies are so different you forget what is what.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I posted this in a couple other threads also where it was being discussed -
The most forward point of the ball when declared out of bounds between the goal lines is the point of forward progress (A.R. 8-2-1-I and A.R. 8-5-1-VII) (Exception: When a ball carrier is airborne as he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-II-III and V-IX).

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
The most forward point of the ball when declared out of bounds between the goal lines is the point of forward progress (A.R. 8-2-1-I and A.R. 8-5-1-VII) (Exception: When a ball carrier is airborne as he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-II-III and V-IX).
If that is the rule, they got it right meaning I have seen more examples where they got it wrong

It says "between the goal lines," so at the goal line they treat it differently? We have all see many instances of players diving and the ball hiting the front of the pylon, which is always called a TD. Otherwise whenever the ball hits the front of the pylon it is not a TD, because the ball had to be out-of-bounds before touching the front of the pylon.

his left leg continues touching the ground while extending to the marker, so I think he would be less 'airborne' than even a normal running stride could produce (both feet temporarily off ground)

Last edited:
It says "between the goal lines," so at the goal line they treat it differently? We have all see many instances of players diving and the ball hiting the front of the pylon, which is always called a TD. Otherwise whenever the ball hits the front of the pylon it is not a TD, because the ball had to be out-of-bounds before touching the front of the pylon.
The download for the PDF is at
https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-...-7-19-2017-pdf-version-only-not-in-print.aspx

The full segment my cut was from states:

Out of Bounds at Forward Point
ARTICLE 4.
a. If a live ball is declared out of bounds and the ball does not cross a boundary line, it is out of bounds at the ball’s most forward point when it was declared dead (A.R. 4-2-4-I) (Exception: Rule 8-5-1-a, A.R. 8-5-1-I).
b. A touchdown is scored if the ball is inbounds and has broken the plane of the goal line (Rule 2-12-2) before or simultaneous to the ball carrier going out of bounds.
c. A receiver who is in the opponent’s end zone and contacting the ground is credited with a completion if he reaches over the sideline or end line and catches a legal pass.
d. The most forward point of the ball when declared out of bounds between the goal lines is the point of forward progress (A.R. 8-2-1-I and A.R. 8-5-1-VII) (Exception: When a ball carrier is airborne as he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-II-III and V-IX).

A.R. 8-2-1-II-III (a) reads “unless you’re ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame .. in which case forward progress is wherever the ball is when part of your body lands out of bounds”

Reactions: TheGunner
Personally, after seeing that clip again after locating the rule, I don't see the airborne exception as applying. Looks to have ground contact throughout the going out.
Has anyone heard or read any feedback from either team staff, NCAA or officials?

A.R. 8-2-1-II-III (a) reads “unless you’re ohio State, Michigan or Notre Dame .. in which case forward progress is wherever the ball is when part of your body lands out of bounds”
You missed the "...or the first down marker itself, whichever further advances the ball,"

Just curious, what situations are ignored? The word “airborne” is key in this case (vs. running out of bounds).
Not disagreeing with you. Just saying it seems like they usually mark it where the ball touches, right or wrong. Seems like the rule is not enforced all the time.

Not disagreeing with you. Just saying it seems like they usually mark it where the ball touches, right or wrong. Seems like the rule is not enforced all the time.
I believe at halftime of the TCU game tonight, they said Dean Blandino will be on hand to field any ?'s from fans across the country

Penn State's Barkley just went airborne to get the first down. Looked like the ball was spotted pretty much where his feet landed.

Reactions: purduepat1969
his left leg continues touching the ground while extending to the marker, so I think he would be less 'airborne' than even a normal running stride could produce (both feet temporarily off ground)

I’m with you biker. They missed this one. That’s not airborne. He should have gotten ball position when he touched out of bounds per the rule. Instead they treated it as if he were in the air and therefore placed it where the ball brokenthe plain of the sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT