ADVERTISEMENT

Wow very impressed with EB....

PU52Chevy

All-American
Jul 18, 2006
After watching that video on front page about EB....very impressed.

Very confident and poised...….

I could see him either starting at the 4 spot or with his strong mentality if coach Painter says he wants EB to be the 6th man off the bench he will be able to handle it.

I am very excited for this team...very athletic and I think we will surprise a lot of people this year.

Wild cards are EB, Wheeler, Sasha, Hunter, Williams and Dow...…..the rest just need to be a little better than last year which I think Eastern, Cline, Eifert, Luce and Boogie all will improve on last year effort.

Boiler Up!

Reactions: Zaphod_B

I could see him either starting at the 4 spot or with his strong mentality if coach Painter says he wants EB to be the 6th man off the bench he will be able to handle it.

I am very excited for this team...very athletic and I think we will surprise a lot of people this year.

Wild cards are EB, Wheeler, Sasha, Hunter, Williams and Dow...…..the rest just need to be a little better than last year which I think Eastern, Cline, Eifert, Luce and Boogie all will improve on last year effort.

Boiler Up!

I'm confident that Cline has a breakout year. Towards the end of the year, Mathias was hesitant with his outside shot and Cline came in a few times in relief of him and hit some big shots. Im thinking he takes up the slack from Mathias...and hopefully then some!

I've been admittedly down on Cline for the past 2 years. But I'm not really down on him. I just like other alternatives better. In essence, I'm down on his role and utilization and our offense. I believe he would succeed as a great 6th man for instant offense. and come in for 5-10 minute spurts.

I'm not a huge fan of a 3 guard or motion offense. Admittedly, Cline is 6'6, but he plays more like a guard than a small forward. he's more of a perimeter guy than a closer to the paint guy. I believe Cline would make a tremendous shooting guard, but we already have one. And I'd rather see a combination of Edwards, Eastern in the backcourt with Wheeler playing forward I n the front court. .

and lastly, I like the talent of Hunter, and would like to see him receive significant minutes like Vince, Mathias and PJ did as freshmen. And Hunter's minutes and development would probably come at the expense of Cline.

I can believe Cline could be as good as Mathias, but simply stated, I'd rather see a more traditional 2 man backcourt.

Boiler Up!

If you’re not aware, Google who his mom is. Combined with the fact that he graduated from an Ivy League school in three years, I don’t think anyone should be surprised at his work ethic, composure or polish.

I've been admittedly down on Cline for the past 2 years. But I'm not really down on him. I just like other alternatives better. In essence, I'm down on his role and utilization and our offense. I believe he would succeed as a great 6th man for instant offense. and come in for 5-10 minute spurts.

I'm not a huge fan of a 3 guard or motion offense. Admittedly, Cline is 6'6, but he plays more like a guard than a small forward. he's more of a perimeter guy than a closer to the paint guy. I believe Cline would make a tremendous shooting guard, but we already have one. And I'd rather see a combination of Edwards, Eastern in the backcourt with Wheeler playing forward I n the front court. .

and lastly, I like the talent of Hunter, and would like to see him receive significant minutes like Vince, Mathias and PJ did as freshmen. And Hunter's minutes and development would probably come at the expense of Cline.

I can believe Cline could be as good as Mathias, but simply stated, I'd rather see a more traditional 2 man backcourt.

Get ready to see Cline for 25+ minutes a game. Hunter may get some minutes as a change of pace but Cline will be better than him on bothe ends of the court.

Get ready to see Cline for 25+ minutes a game. Hunter may get some minutes as a change of pace but Cline will be better than him on bothe ends of the court.
Cline could very easily, with the bump in minutes, get to be a 10 ppg, 4 rb, 2 ast type of player this year. It would honestly not surprise me at all

Cline is Cline. We know what he is and what he isn't. He won't morph over the summer into something more than he is.
And you have no way of knowing that. I mean it's not like players haven't done that in the past right?

Cline isn't scared to pull the trigger.

If Mathias felt the same way over the last 10 or so games this year we'd potentially have made the Elite 8 and or won the BIG regular season.

Boiler Up!
What video are u talking about

Cline loves to play matador defense, and if I'm not mistaken, he lead the nation in "and 1" fouls last year (Ok, that's a made up statistic but it did seem that every time he fouled someone, the guy was shooting and converted).

Cline loves to play matador defense, and if I'm not mistaken, he lead the nation in "and 1" fouls last year (Ok, that's a made up statistic but it did seem that every time he fouled someone, the guy was shooting and converted).
He committed fouls on 3 point shooters more than anyone I’ve ever seen as well.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I'm confident that Cline has a breakout year. Towards the end of the year, Mathias was hesitant with his outside shot and Cline came in a few times in relief of him and hit some big shots. Im thinking he takes up the slack from Mathias...and hopefully then some!

Cline will have a big game or two....because he will be given time & opportunity, but with 30 game season --consistency has been his problem and the challenge he has to overcome.

Clines points per minute were pretty decent. He just didnt have that many minutes thus not taking that many shots to be consistent with. Its not like he shot like stephens who shot all the time even when he had bad looks.

Please don't compare Cline to Mathias. Mathias was a baller who played hard. Cline so far is a shooter who has lapses both mentally and physically (fouling 3 pt shooters). I hope Ryan becomes the player people here tout him to be but so far he hasn't shown it.

Mathias and Cline are worlds apart and always will be. I am not sure how anyone could think that Cline could ever be a better basketball player than Mathias. He doesn't even shoot threes as well as Mathias, and threes are all Cline can do at the Big Ten level. Mathias just signed with an NBA team. I could go on all day...

When did this become a shit on Cline thread? Damn, he's a Boilermaker for crying out loud. Like him or not, he's the ASSASSIN and PU needs him.
It's not a shit on Cline thread. Cline is who he is just as Mathias is who he is. I,was simply responding to comparisons between the two. As Cline gets more minutes he will either become the player some hype him to be or he won't. I expect him to be good. I don't expect him to replace all the things Dakota gave to the team. Then again maybe he will.

Please don't compare Cline to Mathias. Mathias was a baller who played hard. Cline so far is a shooter who has lapses both mentally and physically (fouling 3 pt shooters). I hope Ryan becomes the player people here tout him to be but so far he hasn't shown it.

Dakota was amongst the highest IQ players in the nation. Cline does similar things in that he doesn't turn the ball over, but expecting him to become Dakota is expecting a lot. Basketball IQ is a lot like athleticism, some guys naturally have it and others severely lack it while only being able to improve minimally.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Mathias and Cline are worlds apart and always will be. I am not sure how anyone could think that Cline could ever be a better basketball player than Mathias. He doesn't even shoot threes as well as Mathias, and threes are all Cline can do at the Big Ten level. Mathias just signed with an NBA team. I could go on all day...
Wrong! Cline shoots the three as well as anyone playing the game.

Wrong! Cline shoots the three as well as anyone playing the game.

He’ll get an opportunity to show it this year. If he stays healthy and has a better 3pt % than Dakota it would bode well for the season. His %’s to date don’t reflect it but MP thinks he can do it.

Reactions: nagemj02
And to think CMP said that Sasha was one of the best shooters he's ever seen/recruited. He's a dark horse.

Sasha is definitely a dark horse. It will be interesting to see if he carves out a role this year. Nobody talks about him, but looked like he had some potential in the preseason scrimmages and WUG appearances he made last year.

Sasha is definitely a dark horse. It will be interesting to see if he carves out a role this year. Nobody talks about him, but looked like he had some potential in the preseason scrimmages and WUG appearances he made last year.

Agree......I recall Coach Painter also commenting favorably concerning his defensive potential. Yes this current squad maybe is a little more unproven in certain aspects.....all the better when they show what they can do with the opportunity....looking forward to the new season in a few months.

Ive been hearing Cline has worked on his pump fakes this summer,. Can not wait until next year

If Sasha can average 5 to 8 minutes a game it will be a good season for him. If he can pick up some meaningful experience this year he can be in a position to play a major role his last three years.

It's not a shit on Cline thread. Cline is who he is just as Mathias is who he is. I,was simply responding to comparisons between the two. As Cline gets more minutes he will either become the player some hype him to be or he won't. I expect him to be good. I don't expect him to replace all the things Dakota gave to the team. Then again maybe he will.

I think it's pretty obvious what you're going to get with Cline by now. He's got a very similar game to Kendall Stephans and he's not going to suddenly develop into something different. He'll hit some big 3's, he'll get abused on D, but mainly, he's going to hang around the 3 pt line and try to get an open look.

I think Cline will get first crack at being a starter instead of say, Wheeler. Painter likes him too much not to start him at the beginning of the season.

Cline's ceiling is probably as a 10 PPG scorer, 45% 3PT shooter.

If he shoots 45% 3P then I hope he beats 10 ppg. 45% is elite. Seriously hope he leaves it all on the court this year. I don’t think we’ve seen Ryan’s best yet.
Didn't we have 4 40%+ 3 pt shooters last year? Granted, we were one of the better 3 pt shooting teams in the country, but once teams quit doubling the post and made our guys take contested 3s, I think the %'s went down quite a bit.

Didn't we have 4 40%+ 3 pt shooters last year? Granted, we were one of the better 3 pt shooting teams in the country, but once teams quit doubling the post and made our guys take contested 3s, I think the %'s went down quite a bit.

Yes, and we had a great team last year. Over 40% is very good from 3. 45%+ is elite

Which is why 45% is elite.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Cline is a Senior and will have a breakout year!! Here he comes!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT