ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. Gearalds offering 7th graders. Pray that it works.

I mean, they (7th graders) are young but sometimes it's obvious that a player is going to be great and if that's the case here I'm on board with offering early. I remember a LONG time ago when Skylar Diggins was about to play in her first varsity game as a freshman in high school and I heard she had already been offered by McGraw. I thought it was absurd but look how that turned out for them. If Coach thinks she's going to be a top player in that class, I don't think it hurts. I just think it's an offer you reserve for top 10 type talent. Hopefully this one is just that.

If my memory serves me right, I think Coach Knight offered Damon Bailey a scholarship to IU when Bailey was in the 8th grade or 9th grade.

Reactions: tjreese
I mean, they (7th graders) are young but sometimes it's obvious that a player is going to be great and if that's the case here I'm on board with offering early. I remember a LONG time ago when Skylar Diggins was about to play in her first varsity game as a freshman in high school and I heard she had already been offered by McGraw. I thought it was absurd but look how that turned out for them. If Coach thinks she's going to be a top player in that class, I don't think it hurts. I just think it's an offer you reserve for top 10 type talent. Hopefully this one is just that.
I have a friend that was admitted into the Middle Tennessee Hall Of Fame (2019) for basketball that quit coaching a couple of years ago. I asked why and he said he was tired of developing players and then bigger schools would come in and take them. The last one is on Tennessee's team...Keyon Johnson. His words from a text I still have-
"His mom was Conswello Sparrow. She was All American and played at Auburn. Every high school coach around was trying to get him to transfer even as a 6th grader."

"SOME" kids stand out and if they have that bloodline and you can see growth or the skill for the position doesn't need much growth...those that do it for a living have a better eye...

Reactions: BSIT and TC4THREE
I think she had visited Louisville just before getting the Purdue offer. Don't recall seeing the Cardinals offering though.

Yes the lady we just signed was an 8th grade signee with Missouri. Usually doesn't work out IMO but who knows?

Reactions: DocRon
I saw Katie play as a seventh grader. At that time, she would have started on almost every high school team in the state.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT